All Things Gophers at North Carolina Road Game Thread (Tips for Flights, Hotels, Bars, Restaurants, Game Tickets & More)

My group is in. Got rooms at the Marriott Courtyard for $119 a night. Going to make a nice 5 day NC trip out of it.

Looking at next year schedule anyone already thinking about heading out to Tar Heel Country for a Mid-September afternoon game? I got really bored at work tonight and did some Google Mapping of their Stadium/Campus and it looks like it would be a nice venue to check out and actually the campus itself looks like a fun one to wander around on pre/post game.

Is Jerry Kill going?

Looking ahead to September at UNC. Who’s going? Where to stay? Seems like
It could be a nice little trip and good game.

Duke and Northwestern play on the same day in Durham, so if the game times work out fans could take in a doubleheader.

We will definitely do this if times align...we did double headers at Nebraska at Oregon when Gophers played Oregon State and UCLA vs Texas when Gophers were at TCU.

Go Gophers!!

Going to stay at Hyatt Southpoint in Durham or Chapel Hill. Hope my Chase Ultimate Rewards can get a few free nights stay. Have a buddy that refs college basketball on Winston Salem area so will probably golf there Wednesday, Thursday. Head to town Friday. Know a true freshman on the Duke team not sure if he will play but would like to see both games if possible. Athan versus Drake.

Leave on Monday and hope to watch the Vikes/NFL games on Sunday.

We’re going as well. Putting together a big trip from Washington state starting with the home Nebraska game, the MN State Fair, then on to NC for the game. We have plenty of friends and family to visit in both states, plus going to do some hiking in the mountains.

Last edited:

Who would be in on organizing a huge Gopher golf outing over the long weekend?
We used to play winter golf on the Anchorage Russian Jack golf course. We used colored balls and sometimes they were still hard to find. It was fun and free, except for the occasional lost ball!

We’re going as well. Putting together a big trip from Washington state starting with the home Nebraska game, the MN State Fair, then on to NC for the game. We have plenty of friends and family to visit in both states, plus going to do some hiking in the mountains.
We are thinking the same with our Flagstaff in tow, Never been to the SE before so figure to spend two weeks and take in the NU game on the way back home.

Who would be in on organizing a huge Gopher golf outing over the long weekend?
We are golfing that Thursday/Friday just not sure where yet. Might be closer to Greensboro or Charlotte and not necessarily in the triangle area. However; if someone sets something up in the vicinity would maybe have 4 of us join.

All 3 local teams are home that day. Average attendance. Hope Minnesota gets night or 3:30 game.
Duke plays Northwestern (Durham) 25k
Minnesota NC (Chapel Hill) 47k
NC State VMI (Raleigh) 57k

Hey all,

I have been looking through the forums and didn't see anyone post something about the game in North Carolina on 9/16. If there is a post about this already I apologize.

Just curious who is all going and if anyone has hotel recommendations for Chapel Hill, things to do in the Raleigh-Durham area as well as on campus, travel tips, advice, etc. Curious how many people are thinking about heading down there as well?

Thanks for kicking it off! Should be a very fun road game!
Hope Trent Tucker and MJ are still friends and they can make a friendly wager on the game.

NC....bring a trailer. Buy some furniture
Or have this guy teach you?

Gregory Paolini Design

Love these rulers!

Close to Far from High Point, but not too far from furniture country II (Ashville).

Or just have this guy make you a chair?

Brian Boggs

grand-lily-curly-maple-walnut-legs.jpg

cio-ladderback-rocker-2.jpg

Bobby Bell and Carl Eller were both from North Carolina. Both were not allowed to play or UNC due to good old fashioned Jim Crow (no long lost political board type comments on who owns most of that- hint- Bill Clinton's mentors/ heroes in the Senate not to be named here).

I have been standing nearby both of those guys when they were well into their 70s and they looked nothing like anyone else I never knew at that age. I felt like a decrepit old man in my 40s next to both of them.

Assuming both are healthy it would be great to see both part of the traveling party, at the walk through, and on the sidelines for this one at Chapel Hill. The TV crew would be all over that visual. I know Bobby Bell in particular has been on the sidelines at times in recent years, probably back in the Kill era.
Yes. Let's not dishonor Mr. Bell, Mr. Eller, nor their teammates. Takes on history (Jim Crow, etc. ) can be voiced on the OTB.

For most NCSU football fans there second favorite team is whoever is playing UNC. I could possibly go visit family and catch the game but traffic and parking will be brutal.
Traffic is bad. But that is true of any football game anywhere. Parking is not as hard as the rumors. Tons of parking at hospital parking lots. Very close to stadium as well.

Traffic is bad. But that is true of any football game anywhere. Parking is not as hard as the rumors. Tons of parking at hospital parking lots. Very close to stadium as well.
Apparently nsmike has never been to a Gopher home game either.

Excited for this series. Even though September if this is a day game it will be hot. The visitors section is on the north side of the stadium and gets all the sun. It is a good 15 degrees warmer than the south side. Eighty degrees can feel like 90 and higher. Hopefully will be an evening game. I am looking forward to coming to Minnesota in 2024!

For those Gopherholers where $$$$ is no concern look up the Angus Barn restaurant in Raleigh for a Chapel Hill visit dinner. Raleigh's version of Manny's with a broader menu. Beautiful site too
One daughter still lives and the area and another one did for a while. Angus Barn is great food! Be ready to pay a high price for it.

Rated the 15th best non-conference game of the season:

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom