All Things Gopher Baseball

No secret that the pitching has been dreadful the past 3 seasons and if we are to return to the top half of the conference that must be improved. All 3 of our weekend starters from last year are gone. So who will step up? Here are the rostered pitchers and their stats from last year (if applicable)

Incoming Freshman
Easton Fritcher, LHP
Kris Hokenson, LHP
Caden Copomaccio, RHP
Sam Kennedy, RHP
Gilbert Saunders III, RHP
TJ Egan, LHP

Transfers
Joe Hauser (Arizona State) RHP....also plays SS. Was injured last year but 2 years ago had 10 appearances, 6 starts, 16.1 IP, 7 BB, 14 K
Connor Wietgrefe (North Iowa Area CC), LHP. 13 appearances, 7 starts, 5.05 ERA, 46.1 IP, 59 K
Cam Blazek (New Mexico State), RHP. 15 appearances, 4 starts, 39.1 IP, 13 BB, 38 K
Ben Shepard (MN-Duluth), RHP. 10 starts, 5.67 ERA, 57.1 IP, 19 BB, 52 K

Returning
Sam Malec, RHP. 13.2 IP, 24 H, 8 BB, 9 K
Will Semb, RHP. 23.2 IP, 32 H, 19 BB, 28 K
George Klassen, RHP. 7.2 IP, 6 H, 14 BB, 8 K
Tucker Novotny, LHP. 14 IP, 14 H, 6 BB, 14 K
Seth Clausen, RHP. 17.1 IP, 26 H, 15 BB, 16 K
Trent Schoeberl, RHP. 7.1 IP, 9 H, 5 BB, 3 K
Michael Gurka, RHP. 2.1 IP, 0 H, 5 BB, 3 K
Dawson Hall, LHP. 1.2 IP, 4 H, 5 BB, 3 K
Richie Holetz, RHP. 34 IP, 41 H, 14 BB, 29 K (made 3 starts)
Noah Rooney, LHP. 21.1 IP, 24 H, 11 BB, 18 K
Randon Dauman, RHP. 7.1 IP, 7 H, 12 BB, 9 K

I have to imagine they'll give Wietgrefe a chance to start seeing as his 59K in 46 innings is pretty impressive.

Of the returning and incoming freshman, I have no idea. I know Malec and Clausen had some good reports coming out of HS but they got hit around a bit last year.

No secret that the pitching has been dreadful the past 3 seasons and if we are to return to the top half of the conference that must be improved. All 3 of our weekend starters from last year are gone. So who will step up? Here are the rostered pitchers and their stats from last year (if applicable)

Incoming Freshman
Easton Fritcher, LHP
Kris Hokenson, LHP
Caden Copomaccio, RHP
Sam Kennedy, RHP
Gilbert Saunders III, RHP
TJ Egan, LHP

Transfers
Joe Hauser (Arizona State) RHP....also plays SS. Was injured last year but 2 years ago had 10 appearances, 6 starts, 16.1 IP, 7 BB, 14 K
Connor Wietgrefe (North Iowa Area CC), LHP. 13 appearances, 7 starts, 5.05 ERA, 46.1 IP, 59 K
Cam Blazek (New Mexico State), RHP. 15 appearances, 4 starts, 39.1 IP, 13 BB, 38 K
Ben Shepard (MN-Duluth), RHP. 10 starts, 5.67 ERA, 57.1 IP, 19 BB, 52 K

Returning
Sam Malec, RHP. 13.2 IP, 24 H, 8 BB, 9 K
Will Semb, RHP. 23.2 IP, 32 H, 19 BB, 28 K
George Klassen, RHP. 7.2 IP, 6 H, 14 BB, 8 K
Tucker Novotny, LHP. 14 IP, 14 H, 6 BB, 14 K
Seth Clausen, RHP. 17.1 IP, 26 H, 15 BB, 16 K
Trent Schoeberl, RHP. 7.1 IP, 9 H, 5 BB, 3 K
Michael Gurka, RHP. 2.1 IP, 0 H, 5 BB, 3 K
Dawson Hall, LHP. 1.2 IP, 4 H, 5 BB, 3 K
Richie Holetz, RHP. 34 IP, 41 H, 14 BB, 29 K (made 3 starts)
Noah Rooney, LHP. 21.1 IP, 24 H, 11 BB, 18 K
Randon Dauman, RHP. 7.1 IP, 7 H, 12 BB, 9 K

I have to imagine they'll give Wietgrefe a chance to start seeing as his 59K in 46 innings is pretty impressive.

Of the returning and incoming freshman, I have no idea. I know Malec and Clausen had some good reports coming out of HS but they got hit around a bit last year.
Right now I would think George Klassen(top 50 '23 MLB Draft Prospect), Tucker Novotny, and Will Semb are all options although both Klassen and Semb could be finishing games instead of starting them. Novotny is probably the guy I'm most sure of will be in the weekend rotation. Seth Clausen and Sam Malec showed well this fall and could get a chance there. Freshmen Sam Kennedy and Kris Hokenson are both guys I expect to play big roles as well.

On the non-pitching side, which newcomer are people looking forward too most?

I'm looking forward to (no particular order):
Weber Neels - Been watching him play HS ball since his state championship as a freshman.

Drew Berkland - Highly regarding recruit from Wayzata

Sam Hunt - Transfer catcher from Vandy....was a very high recruit out of high school

Ike Mezzenga - Transfer from JUCO...hit 15 HR's last year for NIACC. I loved watching his brother play too.

Few pre-season rankings out.....
D1baseball.com t25
Only has 1 Big Ten team ranked (Maryland 13th). Ole Miss (4th) and Vandy (10th) are only other teams on the schedule currently ranked. Cambria Classic should be fun to watch!

Collegiate Baseball News t50
Vandy comes in ranked 10th
UC Santa Barbara, who the Gophers play twice in Surprize AZ, come in ranked 14th
Maryland 21st
Ole Miss is way down to 24th in this poll.
Houston is 34th...they come to USB Stadium for 3 games in March
Michigan 44th
Iowa/Illinois/Indiana....receiving votes
North Dakota State....receiving votes

On the non-pitching side, which newcomer are people looking forward too most?

I'm looking forward to (no particular order):
Weber Neels - Been watching him play HS ball since his state championship as a freshman.

Drew Berkland - Highly regarding recruit from Wayzata

Sam Hunt - Transfer catcher from Vandy....was a very high recruit out of high school

Ike Mezzenga - Transfer from JUCO...hit 15 HR's last year for NIACC. I loved watching his brother play too.
I think Hunt is probably the guy with the most immediate path to early playing time.

Also think Kris Hokenson could have a big impact with the bat either as DH or OF.

Few pre-season rankings out.....
D1baseball.com t25
Only has 1 Big Ten team ranked (Maryland 13th). Ole Miss (4th) and Vandy (10th) are only other teams on the schedule currently ranked. Cambria Classic should be fun to watch!

Collegiate Baseball News t50
Vandy comes in ranked 10th
UC Santa Barbara, who the Gophers play twice in Surprize AZ, come in ranked 14th
Maryland 21st
Ole Miss is way down to 24th in this poll.
Houston is 34th...they come to USB Stadium for 3 games in March
Michigan 44th
Iowa/Illinois/Indiana....receiving votes
North Dakota State....receiving votes

Minnesota is a power in hockey and some other areas, and Minnesota produces great athletes in those areas -- but cold weather teams like Minnesota are at a structural disadvantage in baseball. I think Gophers baseball fans have a realistic view and enjoy how well they play and compete in the Big Ten.

Just a guess but I am thinking Novotny/Malec/Klassen and see where they are after the AZ trip.

First pitcher we face looks to be an experienced guy with 87 IP last year. But when I watch him his best pitch was a CU to RH. hitters. He throws 88, and I think we have a good chance.
Tucker is listed as 6-5 but he is alll of 6 7-8. When he takes a huge step toward the plate he can be damn intimidating.
Wii be a huge test.

A little surprised to see the projected lineup with Swenson at catcher to start. Hunt is the better defender but getting Swenson's bat in the lineup at catcher allows you to move Merila to DH and get better defensively in the outfield with Berkland.

A little surprised to see the projected lineup with Swenson at catcher to start. Hunt is the better defender but getting Swenson's bat in the lineup at catcher allows you to move Merila to DH and get better defensively in the outfield with Berkland.
Yeah that's definitely a surprise. Maybe more of a platoon type of deal or a reward to the senior. I expect Hunt to play a lot. Also like seeing two freshman in the OF...bodes well for the future. Mezzenga being slotted at SS is good too. Hopefully he can continue to hit the long ball at this level.

Can't wait for tomorrow!

The start of college baseball season is here. MLB Network has 2 games on today.
2pm CST: Grand Canyon vs UC-San Diego
7pm CST: Arizona vs Tennessee <---This one might be fun to watch while following the GOphers progress

Other Big Ten Teams in action today and where they play:
Illinois vs Youngstown State (Winston-Salem, NC)
Michigan: vs Fresno State & Michigan State (Double-header....Mesa, AZ)
Iowa: vs Indiana State (Venice, FL)
Purdue: vs Holy Cross (Sugar Land, TX)
Indiana: vs Auburn (Auburn, AL)
Rutgers: vs Campbell (Buies Creek, NC)
Michigan State: vs Michigan
Maryland: vs South Florida (Tampa, FL)
Penn State: vs Miami FL (Coral Gables, FL)
Northwestern: vs Texas State (San marcos, TX)
Ohio State: vs UCONN (Venice, FL)
Nebraska: vs San Diego (San Diego, CA)

And of course.....Minnesota vs UC Santa Barbara

Big Ten pre-season coaches poll:
1. Maryland
2. Rutgers
3. Iowa
4. Illinois
5. Nebraska
6. Indiana

Two early games in the books for the Big Ten.
Illinois defeats Youngstown State 9-6 despite giving up 6 runs in a dreadful 6th inning.
Michigan knocks off Fresno State 6-2. SS Burton went 3-5 with 2 HR

Purdue leads Holy Cross 6-0 after 4
Iowa and Indiana State are knotted up 2-2 going into the 10th

I've been listening to the Iowa game in the background while working. Very nice that they have an official baseball radio network and they broadcast it over YouTube as well so you can listen out of market. Really wish the Gophers did that.

LSU star Tommy "tanks" White leaves today's game early on with some sort of arm injury on a slide. White hit a ton of homeruns for NC State last year. The Tigers also have Air Force transfer Paul Skenes pitching today and he is dealing.
Upset alert as New Mexico beats Oregon State in game 1 from Arizona 7-2.

Top Bottom