All Things Gopher Baseball

Team showing a lot of fight. Gotta say I was surprised not to see the Gophers turn to Semb or Clausen in the 7th after taking the lead, don't get sending Dauman back out there.

The run to make it 9-7 absolutely can't happen. Defense failing a little here late. First on the go ahead run Merila looked like he got caught shallow and then a bad jump put the ball just out of his reach. The 9th run starts on a play Counsell should make for the groundout, they get a steal on a close play, and then Merila drops a fly ball.

Gophers trail 9-7 with 1 out in the 9th. Bateman on 3rd, Counsell on 1st, and Perry at the plate.

What was that interference call to end the game?
Counsell didn't even hit the shortstop!
Interference calls are usually very very obvious but this one the ump pulled from his ass

Disappointing end but team showed fight. Nice showing for some of the new comers. Hockenson with a couple big hits, Mezzenga 1-2 and Hauser looked decent out of the bullpen. Gauchos are a good team. Back at it tomorrow .

What was that interference call to end the game?
Counsell didn't even hit the shortstop!
Interference calls are usually very very obvious but this one the ump pulled from his ass
Was wondering. Radio guy didn't really say how it looked. I don't think he could see replay.

Disappointing end but team showed fight. Nice showing for some of the new comers. Hockenson with a couple big hits, Mezzenga 1-2 and Hauser looked decent out of the bullpen. Gauchos are a good team. Back at it tomorrow .
Guys sure competed and most of the newcomers didn't really look out of place at all. Hokenson, Mezzenga, Neels, and even a couple 2nd year guys like Larson, Counsell, and Perry. Perry just missed a homerun in his first AB and announcers thought wind might've kept it in yard.
Novotny looked pretty solid, few walks you'd like back but really liked the way his pitches were moving. Hauser and Rooney looked like they can be counted on at least somewhat. Dauman got outs but seemed like he was always down and I would've pulled him when you got the lead, I just don't trust him. Ton of breaking balls from both Dauman and Hauser.

Two singles to start the game then....
Pick off
Backwards K
Caught steal

Talk about your blown chances. That can't happen, especially with your top guys.

Klassen struggling with control. The bats are there for us today.

Thru 2 we are out hitting them 4-1 with their one hit being an infield hit....yet we trail 4-1. 5 walks and 2 hit batsman by Klassen.

Two singles to start the game then....
Pick off
Backwards K
Caught steal

Talk about your blown chances. That can't happen, especially with your top guys.
For as much speed as he has Bateman really isn't a great baserunner. He derailed that inning getting picked off with the 2-0 count 2 on nobody out.

Thru 2 we are out hitting them 4-1 with their one hit being an infield hit....yet we trail 4-1. 5 walks and 2 hit batsman by Klassen.
Klassen looks like he is trying to overthrow everything and looking for the strikeout on every pitch. Has to understand you are already on every MLB teams radar you don't have to light up the gun on every pitch scouts want to see you actually pitch.

Perry with an error at 3b leads to 2 unearned runs (at least). Man these little things are just killing us.

Happy with the effort and the production at the plate. Today was death by 1000 cuts. Hopefully they can correct those mistakes, stop walking guys and things will improve. Back half of bullpen was good today.

Capomaccio was solid and gave us a chance, really liked what Clausen showed today.
At the plate they seem to have a number of options even of the bench. Newcomers really seem to be fitting in well. Team looks to have that never dead quality you love to see.

Listening to the radio, sounds like Malec did well. I'm sure he wishes he had one pitch back. But 1 walk, 6 k and according to the crowd chatter in the background it seems me might have had to deal with a tight zone.

Reactions: Rex

Listening to the radio, sounds like Malec did well. I'm sure he wishes he had one pitch back. But 1 walk, 6 k and according to the crowd chatter in the background it seems me might have had to deal with a tight zone.
Yeah Malec was solid. Really did it mostly with his sinking fastball too as he had trouble really getting the slider going much tonight. He definitely had a couple pitches go against him but overall didn't really effect anything.
Gophers just can not come through with that crucial hit so far tonight leaving 11 men on base heading to the 7th.

Defense failing Rooney in the 7th as with 2 outs Perry gets an error on a tough one hopper, Counsell follows with a bad error and UCSB cashes in with a triple to score 2 more.

Probably a smart move from 14 with the offense really struggling tonight to go Dauman and Gurka here late and save guys like Blazek, Shepard, DeLuga, Semb, Egan, and some others we haven't seen this year.
UCSB just kept adding on taking advantage of the bad pitching blowing it open late.

Tough outing tonight. I felt Malec gave us a chance but we stranded too many runners. Really need to get a win tomorrow and salvage something from this trip.

I'm unable these days to follow the team nearly as closely as you, Goldy, or Darren, but for years, Gopher baseball was known for great fundamentals, solid pitching and defense and pretty good offense. What has happened to the fundamentals, defense and pitching the last 3 years? I don't get it. Know it's early this season and still time to turn it around, but 1st 3 games seem similar to last couple years.

I'm unable these days to follow the team nearly as closely as you, Goldy, or Darren, but for years, Gopher baseball was known for great fundamentals, solid pitching and defense and pretty good offense. What has happened to the fundamentals, defense and pitching the last 3 years? I don't get it. Know it's early this season and still time to turn it around, but 1st 3 games seem similar to last couple years.
It didn’t help that we were playing quite strong teams. Playing very good competition always makes you look worse.

Covid really set the program back as so much of the Gophers success over years have come with bringing in guys some of whom are pretty raw and developing and during that covid 2020/2021 they couldn't do that.
This years team I think has a lot of potential but it is also a number of young guys in key roles for the first time so there will be some growing pains.

Only 1 run on 6 hits through 3. That double from Hunt getting stuck in the wall sending Larson back to 3rd really hurt as both freshmen struck out and Bateman grounded out to strand the runners and then Counsell getting thrown out at the plate.

Top Bottom