All Things Ellis/Foster Thread UPDATED 5/15 Ellis signs w/ MSU, Foster signs w/ TTech

He filled a need and had a very good senior high school season which resulted in him getting many offers after he decommited. I heard he was injured the majority of the AAU season which is why he wasn't highly ranked.

Just what I was looking for. Thanks.

He filled a need and had a very good senior high school season which resulted in him getting many offers after he decommited. I heard he was injured the majority of the AAU season which is why he wasn't highly ranked.

To piggy back on your comments, we're returning the same guard/wing play as last year (minus Welch) and we needed more consistent shooters. Wally and McNeil bring more of a slashing game. From the information I've gathered from following Ellis the past year, I think he would've fit a role as a shooter and freshman that's ready to log some minutes off the bench. It appears he's a long shot, if even that.

To piggy back on your comments, we're returning the same guard/wing play as last year (minus Welch) and we needed more consistent shooters. Wally and McNeil bring more of a slashing game. From the information I've gathered from following Ellis the past year, I think he would've fit a role as a shooter and freshman that's ready to log some minutes off the bench. It appears he's a long shot, if even that.

Exactly. We are in need of more shooters and Ellis seems to be a good shooter.

I'm going to guess McNeil isn't much of a factor next year unless he takes minutes from Mav. I like Wally to take Julian's wing minutes and I don't see Dre and Austin playing less minutes (unless Coach P's system requires them to need more breaks).

If Ellis signs, I think he eats into Joe and Wally's minutes (basically in competition with Wally).
Wally has showed absolutely nothing to indicate he will get any minutes. If Mcneil can't take minutes from Mav then he can't play. These bench players everyone is talking about including Mo and Oto were terrible, did nothing. The last thing to worry about is who will lose minutes rather if anyone is good enough to earn minutes. Buggs despite wishful thinking may not be as good of a player as Mcneil. It will be fun to see how things sort out and what our roster looks like . Ellis sounds like a player compared to what is here. Maybe Pitano thinks he can get a player just as good. That is without doubt the case with Foster.

Guys get more offers (and more importantly "better" offers) during the Spring and it has little to do with improvement during their senior year of high school. It's a supply and demand issue with schools unexpectedly losing a player to transfer, academics, injury, or the NBA draft and wanting to fill that roster spot.

Wally has showed absolutely nothing to indicate he will get any minutes. If Mcneil can't take minutes from Mav then he can't play. These bench players everyone is talking about including Mo and Oto were terrible, did nothing. The last thing to worry about is who will lose minutes rather if anyone is good enough to earn minutes. Buggs despite wishful thinking may not be as good of a player as Mcneil. It will be fun to see how things sort out and what our roster looks like . Ellis sounds like a player compared to what is here. Maybe Pitano thinks he can get a player just as good. That is without doubt the case with Foster.

We're talking about the only bench players we have on the roster. I don't see anyone "worried" about who will lose minutes. Wally taking Julian's 10 minutes isn't saying a lot. As the roster stands, McNeil will be battling Mav for pg minutes and Wally for sg minutes.

Buggs is not a good comparison to McNeil. I think you were arguing with yourself on this one.

I would hate to see Mo leave and doubt he does. This is a great challenge for Mo. Lose the weight and get in shape. He coudl be a good player- even in this system. He's got size, can shoot a little and has nice potential as a passer. I hope he stays and accepts the challenge.

It's a nice thought but I'm not sure that Mo minus thirty pounds fits what Pitino is trying to do. He has nice hands but he's never going to be quick enough or fast enough to get in position to use them in Pitino's system. Hope I'm wrong.

Someone more educated on the subject needs to school me on why everyone is drooling over Ellis. I've never seen him play, so I have to go strictly by his rankings, and nothing stands out. I heard he was the second best player in Illinois at one point and that he was blue chip. Three stars and not ranked nationally within your position doesn't exactly scream superstardum. Sure, he would have been a nice piece, but I don't think he would have come in and elevated the program to another level. There are countless examples of 3-star recruits becoming great players, but there are no guarantees for a fringe player like Ellis.

I think you have the two recruits mixed up. Ellis has never been the number 2 player in Illinois. As a freshman, Foster was the number 2 player in that class in Illinois. He dropped off the charts.

You need to watch Ellis play before you refer to him as a fringe player. He is very good. He would be your best recruit if he decided to go back there. He is a better recruit than the FIU guy.

I don't understand how some can be so excited about an unranked FIU recruit and not want Ellis. I am not knocking the FIU recruit. He may turn out to be good. But to pooh-pooh Ellis as a recruit is silly. imo

Foster is the one who dropped in the rankings and who I don't think Minnesota would really want. I don't think the espn guy knows what he is talking about, anyway. Ellis has moved on, unfortunately for Minnesota. And Foster was creaned from what I am hearing down this way.

I agree with combes and jamiche. Mo can't stay helathy enough to lose the weight, and if MSU really did offer Ellis, that is a pretty good recommendation.
I don't believe this staff wanted Foster, and it was clear Ellis had moved on to teams he had been talking to before.

I think you have the two recruits mixed up. Ellis has never been the number 2 player in Illinois. As a freshman, Foster was the number 2 player in that class in Illinois. He dropped off the charts.

You need to watch Ellis play before you refer to him as a fringe player. He is very good. He would be your best recruit if he decided to go back there. He is a better recruit than the FIU guy.

I don't understand how some can be so excited about an unranked FIU recruit and not want Ellis. I am not knocking the FIU recruit. He may turn out to be good. But to pooh-pooh Ellis as a recruit is silly. imo

Foster is the one who dropped in the rankings and who I don't think Minnesota would really want. I don't think the espn guy knows what he is talking about, anyway. Ellis has moved on, unfortunately for Minnesota. And Foster was creaned from what I am hearing down this way.

Have you seen McNeil play a lot in person? If not, then how do you know Ellis is better? You say we need to see Ellis in person to know how good he is. I think the same logic could be applied to McNeil.

That's a fair point. I think the only two I could stomach to lose are Mo (obviously given his fit in Pitino's system) and Oto if he doesn't find his shot. Though they may stick around just because they are going to be redshirt Juniors. Otherwise I don't really see anyone wanting to transfer.

Those were the two that I was thinking of.

Have you seen McNeil play a lot in person? If not, then how do you know Ellis is better? You say we need to see Ellis in person to know how good he is. I think the same logic could be applied to McNeil.

Good point. I guess I was going by offer lists and the fact that no Minnesota fan would have even heard of McNeill if Minnesota hadn't hired Pitino. Ellis was a major recruit at Minnesota and now has MSU, Missouri and others after him. McNeill was a midmajor recruit who has a great opportunity at Minnesota.

He could turn out to be better than Ellis, no doubt. But that doesn't change my point that Pitino obviously would want Ellis if he could get him to come back.

Good point. I guess I was going by offer lists and the fact that no Minnesota fan would have even heard of McNeill if Minnesota hadn't hired Pitino. Ellis was a major recruit at Minnesota and now has MSU, Missouri and others after him. McNeill was a midmajor recruit who has a great opportunity at Minnesota.

He could turn out to be better than Ellis, no doubt. But that doesn't change my point that Pitino obviously would want Ellis if he could get him to come back.

+1 Ellis is the type of scorer the Gophers don't get that often. He can score at all 3 levels. Major coup for the program if Coach P. can re-sign.

ATTITUDE is an awful important consideration.

So is talent and calling commits.

Cheap excuse. If talent and calling commits is your basis for an argument, ya lost me man. If a pup says "they didn't care enough about me to call me" he should have said, "I wanna hear what they have to say." Watta bunch of b.s.

The fact that both asked to be released from LOI tells me all I need to know.

Are you that ignorant? Foster was told he's no longer welcome at MN.

Cheap excuse. If talent and calling commits is your basis for an argument, ya lost me man. If a pup says "they didn't care enough about me to call me" he should have said, "I wanna hear what they have to say." Watta bunch of b.s.

The fact that both asked to be released from LOI tells me all I need to know.

Are you that ignorant? Foster was told he's no longer welcome at MN.

OH ya??? tell me who told him. Foster decided on his own.

p.s. I am not ignorant. I just don't put up with all of the b.s. from you pups who call me names.

Believe what ya want.

My no meant maybe. But we know from a pretty good source Foster was asked to move on.

station gave the best possible answer even if that "maybe" was not one of the choices. I happen to agree with the Alexandria Flash.

Get over yourself. I don't know why you like to bring up age all the time.

You're the one believing what you want... Kimani Young told Foster: "Nadine Babu ‏@NadineBabu 58s

Per @Foster_34 Yeah the (#Gophers) assistant called me and basically said they were going to go a different route."

So you're saying he should've come even though the new staff told him not to? I'm guessing you just won't respond since you never do when you realize you have no basis for your argument.

OH ya??? tell me who told him. Foster decided on his own.

p.s. I am not ignorant. I just don't put up with all of the b.s. from you pups who call me names.

Believe what ya want.

Top Bottom