All Things Dawson Garcia Recruitment Thread (Class of 2020): UPDATED: Gophers Offered

Yes, he was as well. The Tucker, Mitchell, Holmes, Hall, etc class was the #1 ranked class in the nation. Thompson's class was up there as well.
Olberding was the top Gopher recruit in Mychal Thompson's class.

There is some disagreement on that. Thompson’s ranking was influenced by some controversy with his high school team, age, etc Either way, Oberding was very highly rated as well. They were bringing in some serious recruits then :)

Here’s an interesting read I stumbled upon from 1978 about Thompson. Had never heard some of this. https://www.washingtonpost.com/arch...hompson/f765963b-abb7-4291-a6e6-2e5bbd69644e/

Nice article. I was too young to remember any of that. Too bad he couldn't go to the tourney.

I believe you are correct. Back in those days, Street and Smith was one of the best at posting the HS player rankings. We had a number of top 100's but Olberding, in Street and Smith was in the top 5 or 10 players in the country while Thompson was rated lower than him. I think Thompson came into his senior year about 6-7 or so and had a nice growth streak making him 6-10 or so by the time he arrived on campus. Chad Nelson from SD was a 7 foot wide body who was also really highly rated in that class. Thompson initially split time with Nelson until it became obvious how much more upside Thompson had as he developed right before our eyes as a frosh.

Musselman made this a cool place to go with the Barn getting national acclaim as a snake pit to go into as a visitor and of course the pre game warmup was just crazy....

I remember watching Olberding as a high school player in the state tournament when I was a young boy. In those days our family went to every state tournament and at that time there were only two classes with the winners of each class playing for the overall state champion. Olberding's small school Melrose team ended up winning the overall state champion his senior year. He only played one season for the Gophers before jumping to the NBA. One of me childhood memories I can still remember is seeing Little Falls making the tournament almost every year back in the 70's-80's and I seem to remember their band playing the song, "When you say Budweiser...you've said it all." Is it possible they would have played that song or am I dreaming?

I remember watching Olberding as a high school player in the state tournament when I was a young boy. In those days our family went to every state tournament and at that time there were only two classes with the winners of each class playing for the overall state champion. Olberding's small school Melrose team ended up winning the overall state champion his senior year. He only played one season for the Gophers before jumping to the NBA. One of me childhood memories I can still remember is seeing Little Falls making the tournament almost every year back in the 70's-80's and I seem to remember their band playing the song, "When you say Budweiser...you've said it all." Is it possible they would have played that song or am I dreaming?
He was dominant his freshman year at the U. Led the team in scoring and rebounds, Thompson was developing that year, scary good front court players on that team, add in Landsburger and you've got quite a few years in the NBA.

The HS tourney back in those days were fantastic. We took in every game. We had a direct line of St James's Jeff Nesslers half court game winner against Melrose. It looked good the moment it left his hand.

my dad had the luxury of playing with Olberding in High School
its been a few years since i watched them....but we had video of those state tournement games.....the game was sure different back then

So.... When's this kid announcing... Is he waiting for a cool thing-a-ma-jig picture to post on the (hopefully soon Elon owned) twitty thingy

LFG!!! I know it was a near lock but I'm a MN sports fan, until it happens I am never going to assume! Welcome home Dawson, hopefully everything with his family improves and he can be a great player here.

It's always tough to project guys to stay more than 1 year in this climate but Dawson/Battle in 2 years might be one of the top 1-2 punches in the country.

LFG!!! I know it was a near lock but I'm a MN sports fan, until it happens I am never going to assume! Welcome home Dawson, hopefully everything with his family improves and he can be a great player here.

It's always tough to project guys to stay more than 1 year in this climate but Dawson/Battle in 2 years might be one of the top 1-2 punches in the country.
Both are upperclassmen....both have lots of playing experience, we may not have to wait 2 years for them to form one heck of a tandem.

We gotta get over this 'MN sports fan' inferiority, snake-bit thing... it is a self fulfilling prophesy. I have been a MN sports fan for over 50 years... I have seen my share of success. Don't lump be in with the rest of your lot.

Top Bottom