All things D2 and D3 football 2022

Different kind of D3 football, but St. Olaf is making a nice run in the soccer playoffs. They're now in the Sweet 16 of the tourney.
As is regular season MIAC champ Gustavus

GAC was the undefeated regular season MIAC champ, StO was the MIAC tourney champ.

They now meet again in the NCAA sweet 16.

Last edited:

As is regular season MIAC champ Gustavus

GAC was the undefeated regular season MIAC champ, StO was the MIAC tourney champ.

They now meet again in the NCAA sweet 16.
I think it’s incredibly tacky that they meet again so early in the tournament but NCAA and D3 especially is looking to save money on travel and this accomplishes that.

I think it’s incredibly tacky that they meet again so early in the tournament but NCAA and D3 especially is looking to save money on travel and this accomplishes that.
That reminds me…

Back in 1987, Gustavus marched through a remarkable football season, full of nail biting finishes and come from behind victories. They finished 10-0 and of course one of those wins was a memorable come from behind shootout with St. John’s at Collegeville.

The post season reward for the historic 10-0 season for the Gusties? A first round matchup hosting at-large tourney entrant St. John’s. No cream puffs from the many lame D3 conferences. No interesting matchups with an exotic opponent from a different region. No. It was a rematch with a conference foe to play for the second time after barely squeaking by them the first time. St. John’s won the rematch in a tight, tough game - and that was that.

LaCrosse and Whitewater also in the playoffs. First conference title for LaX since 04.

LaCrosse and Whitewater also in the playoffs. First conference title for LaX since 04.

Just to add, the La Crosse, Whitewater, St. John's and Wartburg NCAA playoff bracket will be tough as hell. It's right up there with UMHB, Trinity, Linfield, Bethel, Hardin Simmons. It seems like the Northeast teams always get an easier run to the finals while the West consistently produces the best teams (outside of Mount Union) and toughest playoff brackets.

That reminds me…

Back in 1987, Gustavus marched through a remarkable football season, full of nail biting finishes and come from behind victories. They finished 10-0 and of course one of those wins was a memorable come from behind shootout with St. John’s at Collegeville.

The post season reward for the historic 10-0 season for the Gusties? A first round matchup hosting at-large tourney entrant St. John’s. No cream puffs from the many lame D3 conferences. No interesting matchups with an exotic opponent from a different region. No. It was a rematch with a conference foe to play for the second time after barely squeaking by them the first time. St. John’s won the rematch in a tight, tough game - and that was that.
I heard the starting QB and running back from Florida entered the portal. They are brothers.

Just to add, the La Crosse, Whitewater, St. John's and Wartburg NCAA playoff bracket will be tough as hell. It's right up there with UMHB, Trinity, Linfield, Bethel, Hardin Simmons. It seems like the Northeast teams always get an easier run to the finals while the West consistently produces the best teams (outside of Mount Union) and toughest playoff brackets.
SJU might not make it out of the second round. Their first match is a Bible College that I never heard of.

IMO, Bethel got a better draw than St. John's. Here's to them both winning out and playing each other in the final.

IMO, Bethel got a better draw than St. John's. Here's to them both winning out and playing each other in the final.

I disagree. Bethel's bracket is loaded with the defending national champs UMHB, includes 4 top 10 and 6 top 15 teams, and the first game is against a tough opponent Wheaton ranked #15. The NCAA doesn't like to spend money on D3 travel so all those tough teams get to play each other early. On the plus side, Bethel will be playing in better weather after the first game if they win it.

St. John's bracket is also very tough and has 3 top 10 teams including 2 WIAC teams, 4 top 15, and a very dangerous Aurora, but St. John's plays an easy draw in the first round in Northwestern St. Paul. That will be a 7+-touchdown monkey stomp.

Meanwhile Mount Union (Ohio) and North Central (Chicago area) pretty much have a clear path to the semifinals if they play anywhere near their potential. D3 has loads of schools in the northeast quadrant of the U.S. but most suck at football so those brackets are often weak.

The NSIC is sending four teams to the NCAA Division II Football Tournament including three from Minnesota. Conference co-champions Minnesota State-Mankato, Bemidji State and Wayne State, as well as Winona State, all received a berth to the tournament.

The four teams will play each other to open the tournament. Bemidji St. will play Winona St. while Minnesota St. will play Wayne St. The winner of the Bemidji Vs. Winona game will go on to face the No. 1 seed in the region, Angelo St. (11-0).

NSIC 22 Football.jpeg

The NSIC is sending four teams to the NCAA Division II Football Tournament including three from Minnesota. Conference co-champions Minnesota State-Mankato, Bemidji State and Wayne State, as well as Winona State, all received a berth to the tournament.

The four teams will play each other to open the tournament. Bemidji St. will play Winona St. while Minnesota St. will play Wayne St. The winner of the Bemidji Vs. Winona game will go on to face the No. 1 seed in the region, Angelo St. (11-0).

View attachment 21859

Good showing by the NSIC!

The game up in Bemidji will be brutal.

Edit add: Bemidji should see if the Alerus Center in Grand Forks is available.

1668549153832.png

Last edited:

Concordia has moved playoff games to the FargoDome in the past. This kind of cold and wind can absolutely change the game.

Concordia has moved playoff games to the FargoDome in the past. This kind of cold and wind can absolutely change the game.

To be fair, when Concordia moved the game to the Fargo Dome to play a California team (Occidental) in bad weather, I thought that was ridiculously stupid. Concordia ended up losing in a shoot out when they were one of the top seeds in the country.

I'll bet the Colorado School of Mines has a catchy fight song.

oh bleep, I looked it up:

THE MINING ENGINEER

I wish I had a barrel of rum and sugar three hundred pounds,

The college bell to mix it in and a clapper to stir it ‘round.

Like every honest fellow, I take my whiskey clear,

I’m a ramblin’ wreck from Golden Tech, a helluva engineer.

A helluva, helluva, helluva, helluva, helluva engineer,

A helluva, helluva, helluva, helluva, helluva engineer,

Like every honest fellow, I take my whiskey clear,

I’m a ramblin’ wreck from Golden Tech, a helluva engineer.

Hail, hail, the gang’s all here.

What the hell do we care as long as we get our share.

Hail, hail, the gang’s all here.

M-I-N-E-S

What the hell do we care now?

Is the Mineral Water Bowl gone for good at this point?

Is the Mineral Water Bowl gone for good at this point?
I was seeing on a D2 website that it's likely done, which really sucks. Was a good opportunity for teams that didn't make the cut.

gopherchase was the poster who was adamant that teams like 2009 Wayzata would be beating the middling MIAC teams.
Yep, that was me and was thoroughly shouted down so perhaps I’m wrong; although Olsen and Tarpley would probably each have 25 tackles and beat the piss out of most of MIAC chumps trying to block them. I get that many feel that’s the dumbest opinion shared on this site and perhaps they are correct but I think I’m one upped by the guy on this thread who says Bemidji is a shit hole or the drive there isn’t fun — what? A football stadium right on the lake and overall a great part of northern Mn the poster must be from Edina.

Top Bottom