All Things D2 and D3 College Football 2023 Season Thread

In other D-III "football" news, St. Olaf has advanced to the "Great 8" of this year's D-III soccer tournament. To make it even sweeter, so far in the tourney they beat two of the pretend D-III teams from Wisconsin: Wisconsin-Superior in the first round and Wisconsin-Eau Claire in the third round (they beat Carleton in the second round).

In the "Great 8" round, St. Olaf beat defending champs U of Chicago 2-1, so they're now in the "Final 4" which is being held in Salem, Virginia. They'll be playing Washington College (Md) on Dec 1st with the game starting at 1PM Central Time. The winner advances to the finals, which are happening Dec 3rd at 11 AM Central. Here's a link where I think you'll be able to watch a live stream of the games. https://www.ncaa.com/game/6226612

Agree, for softball, it has been Bethel, St. Bens, Olaf and that's it for tourney type teams in the conference last couple years. Gustavus is up and coming now though, Coley Reis is their coach.

We don't get Berry, but they did play them in the supers 2 years ago. They are tough as nails.

Here is the schedule if you are interested: https://nfca.org/web_docs/LOC/2024/NFCA-D3-Leadoff-Classic-Schedule-2024.pdf

Aaww. The Lead Off Classic. That's a great tourney and a great chance to upgrade the resume'. You'll have a good time. I went to the one in Tucson a few years ago.

Bad November for the local D2/D3. No one made it past round of 16 from MIAC and Northern Sun.

Bad November for the local D2/D3. No one made it past round of 16 from MIAC and Northern Sun.

I might watch some of that Whitewater-Wartburg game on Saturday in D3. (assuming they have free streaming). I suspect it will be more competitive than the B1G Championship game.

Who is going to win?
no idea. can't find my crystal ball.

seriously, in the final D3 Football ratings, Wartburg was #3 and Whitewater was #5. so if you want to go by that, I suppose Wartburg is a slight favorite.

Another Quarterfinal that could be a good matchup has #1 North Central vs #4 LaCrosse.

no idea. can't find my crystal ball.

seriously, in the final D3 Football ratings, Wartburg was #3 and Whitewater was #5. so if you want to go by that, I suppose Wartburg is a slight favorite.

Another Quarterfinal that could be a good matchup has #1 North Central vs #4 LaCrosse.
North Central put up 71 against Trinity, who man handled SJU most of the game, 5-6 defensive players did not play for Trinity the second half of the SJU game. The 5th year QB for SJU has thrown away the last 3 years he has played. He broke his leg his first year, he threw 4 interceptions against Wartburg to loose the game last year, and this year he threw a 5 yard interception to a 5'5" corner in the end zone, to loose to the Gusties.

North Central put up 71 against Trinity, who man handled SJU most of the game, 5-6 defensive players did not play for Trinity the second half of the SJU game. The 5th year QB for SJU has thrown away the last 3 years he has played. He broke his leg his first year, he threw 4 interceptions against Wartburg to loose the game last year, and this year he threw a 5 yard interception to a 5'5" corner in the end zone, to loose to the Gusties.

Hey, I agree that North Central appears to be a really good team. But LaCrosse has been solid this season, so I think they can at least make it competitive.

as far as the St. John's QB - St. John's was down this season. defense was not strong and they had no running game. but the QB was 2nd in the nation in D3 in passing yards with 45 TD and 6 INT.
I suspect that about 98% of all D3 teams would have taken him in a heartbeat.

Hey, I agree that North Central appears to be a really good team. But LaCrosse has been solid this season, so I think they can at least make it competitive.

as far as the St. John's QB - St. John's was down this season. defense was not strong and they had no running game. but the QB was 2nd in the nation in D3 in passing yards with 45 TD and 6 INT.
SJU had like 2 rushing TD's going into the last game. They had like 4 receivers that were 5th or 6th year and they threw the ball like 50-60 times a game, against bad secondary's, The QB had negative yards rushing for the year and has a bad shoulder. Never able to take a game over. Throwing the ball 110 times against Concordia in two games. They kept him in the game into 4th quarter while up by 45 points to get his stats. His dad has donated a lot of money to SJU.

Not quite as local and not D2/D3, but with plenty of Minnesota tie-ins: In the FCS playoff field, SDSU is the #1 seed, USD the #3 seed and NDSU unseeded but very much capable of advancing in the tournament. Good football being played out on Interstate 29 (or 10 miles off in the case of Vermillion, SD). It would be surprising if at least 2 of the 3 did not survive the weekend and would be much, if any, of a surprise if all three would advance.

I don't now anything about Mercer but SDSU should not have any problem with them. SDSU placed 9 players on the MVFC all conference team, 9 on the second team, and 3 on the honorable mention list. The Jackrabbits are deep and talented and except for the Montana State game early on, haven't really been tested.

USD hosts Sacramento State. USD's strength is their defense and Sac's strength is offense. In my opinion, given the lack of playoff experience, USD is most vulnerable. The offense, Quarterbacked by Iowa State transfer and Buffalo, MN alum Aiden Boumann, seems to have sputtered out. Sacramento State doesn't play a very stout defense but can score. USD's only FCS loss is to SDSU. They played FBS Missouri tough. They've won a few games by thin margins. I think this one will be close and my prediction is that USD's luck in close games will run out.

NDSU plays in Bozeman against a Montana State team that seems to be reeling after starting the season ranked 2/3 behind SDSU and came within inches of upsetting SDSU in Brookings the second week of the season. Since then, the Bobcats have dropped two more, including a whipping in Missoula two weeks ago against now #2 Montana. The Bobcats can run, including heavy use of two QBs, and NDSU has been exposed on their defensive interior. The Bobcats have also been stout against the run and NDSU doesn't have their usual stable of good backs. While having gone oh-fer-the Dakotas, NDSU, is beating its opponents by an average of 28 points led by QB Cam Miller. My prediction is that the Bison will dig deep into that championship pedigree and knock back a reeling Bobcat team.

after some checking -

it appears that the D3 games will be streamed on Hudl. (I have a Hudl account....so I'm OK with that)

the FCS games will be on ESPN+. (I have ESPN+ as part of the Disney+ bundle, so OK again)

I believe D2 is behind a paywall. (I'm a cheap SOB, so not OK with that....)

Yeah, I saw the Johnnie QB vs. Concordia and thought he had better touch and instinct for timing than many upper level players. He was releasing the ball to spots accurately before the receiver even made the cut and no problem hitting crossing routes in stride (unlike the team in Maroon and Gold this year).

North Central is loaded and the class of D3 this year. The uber talented 2021 Mary Hardin-Baylor team has been the only team good enough to slow them down going back to 2019. That said, the two WIAC teams have the talent and big game experience to potentially knock them off, especially with North Central on the road. They've gotten some pretty nice home cookin' calls over the years in big games that might not occur in Wisconsin.

Yeah, I saw the Johnnie QB vs. Concordia and thought he had better touch and instinct for timing than many upper level players. He was releasing the ball to spots accurately before the receiver even made the cut and no problem hitting crossing routes in stride (unlike the team in Maroon and Gold this year).
SJU receivers like age 23 to 25. Transfers from Uof M, a few from JC, and a 6'8" kid that did not play in HS. Playing against 5'8" secondary in MIAC. When they played equal competition, they could not run the ball. Whitewater scored 58 points on them. No longer the tradition of Gagliardi, coaches using transfers and JC to win, yet still loosing to Gusties and not making the playoffs this year.

Minnesota Duluth football player Reed Ryan dies unexpectedly

Reed Ryan, a former North Dakota State lineman who played during the 2023 season with the Bulldogs, died of cardiac arrest, according to his former coach.

DULUTH — A senior defensive lineman who played a single season with the Division II Minnesota Duluth football team has died, the university announced Wednesday morning.

Reed Ryan, 22, died Tuesday at Essentia Health in Duluth, according to a news release from the athletic department. The native of Waunakee, Wis. spent four seasons at North Dakota State University, where he played in the FCS National Championship Game in 2019 and 2021. He spent the 2023 season with the Bulldogs.

UMD coach Curt Wiese described his former player as having a positive attitude, infectious smile and genuine care for the people around him.

"Reed aspired to be better every day at whatever task was at hand," Weise said in a statement. "We were fortunate to have Reed on our team, and he made our program, our department, and our community a better place in a short period of time."

The university did not list a cause of death. Bison coach Matt Entz said Ryan died of cardiac arrest.

"Our team had a bunch of heavy hearts yesterday," Entz said at a news conference, and then spoke of the player's family. "Bison nation is thinking of them."..

Both remaining WIAC teams have been eliminated. Whitewater and Wartburg was a battle. Lax put up a noble effort against favored North Central

D3 Football Quarterfinals
North Central (ill) 55, UW-LaCrosse 42
Wartburg 31, UW-Whitewater 28
Courtland 58, Alma 4`
Randolph-Macon 39, Johns Hopkins 36

Semi-Finals next week:
North Central vs Wartburg
Courtland vs Randolph-Macon

--I watched a little of the UW-LaCrosse game. they were down big at halftime and made it a little closer in the 2nd half, but just couldn't stop North Central's running game.
--Wartburg/Whitewater was fun. Wartburg was up. Whitewater scored for a 28-24 lead but Wartburg put together a drive and scored on a swing pass with under a minute left. Whitewater got the ball to mid-field but then threw an INT to end it.
--------------- ------------------------
D2 Football Quarterfinals
Kutztown 28, Slippery Rock 16
Lenoir-Rhyne 35, Valdosta State 7
Harding 7, Grand Valley State 6
Colorado School of Mines 38, Central Washington 14

Semi-finals next week
Harding vs Lenoir-Rhyne
Colorado School of Mines vs Kutztown

D2 Semi-Finals:
Harding 55, Lenoir-Rhyne 14
Colorado School of Mines 35, Kutztown 7

Championship: Harding vs Colo School of Mines on Dec. 16

D3 Semi-Finals:
North Central 34, Wartburg 27
Courtland 49, Randolph-Macon 14

Championship - North Central vs Courtland on Dec 15

D2 Semi-Finals:
Harding 55, Lenoir-Rhyne 14
Colorado School of Mines 35, Kutztown 7

Championship: Harding vs Colo School of Mines on Dec. 16

D3 Semi-Finals:
North Central 34, Wartburg 27
Courtland 49, Randolph-Macon 14

Championship - North Central vs Courtland on Dec 15
I’ve literally never heard of Cortland until these playoffs. Cinderella story? In the end, I think the de facto championship was played a week early.

I’ve literally never heard of Cortland until these playoffs. Cinderella story? In the end, I think the de facto championship was played a week early.

I was wrong on this. Cortland State (SUNY) is a damn good small college team and going toe to toe with the defending champs North Central in the title game on ESPN. Great game tied 31-31 with 3 minutes remaining. I swear, the Cortland QB is better than some I've seen in FBS. Touch, timing, situational awareness, running speed...what the hell is that in a QB?

Edit: Cortland just scored. 38-31 Cortland up.

I was wrong on this. Cortland State (SUNY) is a damn good small college team and going toe to toe with the defending champs North Central in the title game on ESPN. Great game tied 31-31 with 3 minutes remaining. I swear, the Cortland QB is better than some I've seen in FBS. Touch, timing, situational awareness, running speed...what the hell is that in a QB?

Edit: Cortland just scored. 38-31 Cortland up.
NC went for two to win - ballsy move but came up short. Cortland wins.

D3 Final:
SUNY Courtland 38, North Central 37

Courtland QB Zac Boyes 26 of 24 for 349 yds, 5 TD. Ran for 123 yds on 16 carries. 472 yds Total Offense

North Central had 404 yds net rushing. for the game, North Central had 583 yds Tot Off - Courtland 503 yds Tot Off.

D2 Final at Noon Saturday -
Harding University vs Colorado School of Mines

D3 Final:

Courtland QB Zac Boyes 26 of 24 for 349 yds, 5 TD. Ran for 123 yds on 16 carries. 472 yds Total Offense

North Central had 404 yds net rushing. for the game, North Central had 583 yds Tot Off - Courtland 503 yds Tot Off.

Those stats are so good they almost seem impossible.

D3 Final:

That was a great game to watch.

I apologize for the typo - the Courtland QB was 26 of 34 passing.

onto the D2 Championship game

Harding University 38, Colorado School of Mines 7

The Ore Diggers lose in the title game for the 2nd year in a row.

Harding with 502 yards rushing led by Blake De la Cruz with 212 yds on 27 carries. Braden Jay adds 161 yds on 11 carries with 3 TD.

TommyBoy is going to lose his mind.

Sounds like Aaron Syverson is coming back for another year being the Johnnies starting QB

BTW - just in case anyone has forgotten - the FCS Championship Game is this Sunday at 1:00pm on ABC, with South Dakota State's Jackrabbits taking on the Montana Grizzlies.

it seems like forever since the semi-final games were played. (December 15th - I had to look it up...)

I will probably start watching the Vikes game, but if the Vikes are stinking up the place, at least I have a backup plan.

BTW - just in case anyone has forgotten - the FCS Championship Game is this Sunday at 1:00pm on ABC, with South Dakota State's Jackrabbits taking on the Montana Grizzlies.

it seems like forever since the semi-final games were played. (December 15th - I had to look it up...)

I will probably start watching the Vikes game, but if the Vikes are stinking up the place, at least I have a backup plan.
Absolutely stupid of the ncaa to allow this game to be played head to head with the nfl

Whoever settled that contract is stupid.

Would’ve been better to play Saturday.
Or at 10am Sunday.
Or at 4pm Monday.
Or Tuesday

Absolutely stupid of the ncaa to allow this game to be played head to head with the nfl

Whoever settled that contract is stupid.

Would’ve been better to play Saturday.
Or at 10am Sunday.
Or at 4pm Monday.
Or Tuesday
Still head to head with NFL on Saturday.

Friday night makes the most sense but apparently this is a bid issue with host cities. It's a pretty big economic impact for the host city and the thought is that a Sunday game equals longer stays and more tourist dollars. Lots of Griz and Jacks in Frisco as we speak golfing, drinking, making merry, etc.

11am Saturday was floated by NCAA but Frisco said no thanks. I think ABC pays the same no matter what, and just re-upped NCAA championships at 4x the previous contract. The Frisco contract is for two more seasons (NCAA option for an additional year).

Other host cities might not be as finicky. But this is a Frisco thing.

Top Bottom