All Things D2 and D3 College Football 2023 Season Thread

If GAC is in the championship vs Bethel, I think the rules stipulate the game will be in St. Peter.

The teams met in the regular season at Bethel. Should they meet again, GAC gets to host.

I
If GAC is in the championship vs Bethel, I think the rules stipulate the game will be in St. Peter.

The teams met in the regular season at Bethel. Should they meet again, GAC gets to host.
I believe this year all of the Skyline Division teams host, meaning it will be at Bethel.

I

I believe this year all of the Skyline Division teams host, meaning it will be at Bethel.
You are correct. I was posting with the information provided to me by my Gustavus graduate son. I should have known better. When he was in middle school, I sent him into the house to get me some pliers as I was adjusting bike seats. He returned empty handed and with a question: “Which one is the pliers?”

From the MIAC app:
The Skyline Division will host all Championship Week games in 2023.

from what I've seen, the MIAC is more of a "skill" league as opposed to a "physical" league. The teams like Bethel that play tough, physical football have an advantage as long as they can have a lead or keep the game close.

Bethel may not be pretty, but right now, I think I might take them to win it all, especially since Johnson announced his retirement. the team is going to want to send him out with a win.
I wonder which way the program will go after his retirement. I think St. John's is the only team getting a bunch of transfers to play, and they still are having issues. They got a bunch of SCSU players when their program shut down. They still have a 7th year running back from SCSU and a safety who is like 25 with kids.

It would be fun to watch. SJU has had like two rushing TD's the whole season. a 5'5" safety intercepted the football on a 10 yard pass to win the game. SJU racks up stats that do not mean anything, when they go up against good teams they cannot run the ball. They threw the ball 60 against Concordia.
No way. Here is what you don't get. If you are a starter on a D3 team, you were likely an all conference at worst, possibly all-state player. Now mix in 1-3 years of(ALL YEAR) strength, conditioning and coaching that is light years better than anything you received in high school.

Maybe a top HS team could stay in the game against a really poor D3 team, but you are not gonna match up any team from the state of MN against the middle or top of the MIAC and do anything but get your butt whooped.

I wonder which way the program will go after his retirement. I think St. John's is the only team getting a bunch of transfers to play, and they still are having issues. They got a bunch of SCSU players when their program shut down. They still have a 7th year running back from SCSU and a safety who is like 25 with kids.
Hope they stay the same. There is a pretty good amount of former players, etc that grew up in that system there as assistants now.
The whole athletic department and school administration at Bethel is a pretty tight nit group nowadays. I don't see them going anywhere as far as competing goes, but I could be wrong.

No way. Here is what you don't get. If you are a starter on a D3 team, you were likely an all conference at worst, possibly all-state player. Now mix in 1-3 years of(ALL YEAR) strength, conditioning and coaching that is light years better than anything you received in high school.

Maybe a top HS team could stay in the game against a really poor D3 team, but you are not gonna match up any team from the state of MN against the middle or top of the MIAC and do anything but get your butt whooped.
Correct. We've had this discussion many times. Even a poor MIAC team would whoop up on pretty much any high school team. The UMAC on the other hand. That's a different story.

MIAC Football results - Nov 4

Bethel 31, Concordia 14
Gustavus 38, Carleton 20
St. John's 49, St. Olaf 10
Augsburg 42, Macalester 34
Hamline 33, St. Scholastica 26

- Bethel holds Concordia to 255 yds total offense
- Gustavus QB Sandven 403 yds 5TD (2 int)
-St. John's QB Syverson 328yds, 4TD
- Mac QB Nadeau 434yds, 5TD

Standings:
Northwoods --
Gustavus 6-3/5-2/4-0
St. John's 7-2/6-1/3-1
Carleton 6-3/4-3/2-2
St. Olaf 4-5/3-4/1-3
St. Scholastica 2-7/1-6/0-4

Skyline---
Bethel 7-2/6-1/4-0
Concordia 5-4/4-3/3-1
Augsburg 6-3/4-3/2-2
Hamline 4-5/2-5/1-3
Macalester 2-7/0-7/0-4

Next Week - Championship Round
Gustavus at Bethel - for Conf Championship
St. John's at Concordia
Carleton at Augsburg
St. Olaf at Hamline
St. Scholastica at Macalester

Here's the week in the NSIC. Minnesota teams in bold.
  • University of Mary edged Southwest Minnesota State, 32-28
  • Minnesota Duluth defeated Concordia-St. Paul, 44-32
  • Michigan Tech routed Minot State, 37-3
  • Minnesota State-Mankato won a shootout with Winona State, 49-42
  • Bemidji State pulled away from Minnesota State-Moorhead, 27-14
  • Wayne State won over Sioux Falls, 28-20
  • Augustana took down Northern State, 31-21
New standings:
  • Augustana, 9-1 (8-1)
  • Minnesota State-Mankato, 9-1 (8-1)
  • Bemidji State, 8-1 (8-1)
  • Minnesota Duluth, 8-2 (7-2)
  • Wayne State, 7-3 (6-3)
  • Minnesota State-Moorhead, 6-4 (5-4)
  • Winona State, 4-6 (4-5)
  • Northern State, 4-6 (4-6)
  • Sioux Falls, 3-7 (3-6)
  • Concordia-St. Paul, 3-7 (2-7)
  • Mary, 2-8 (2-7)
  • Minot State, 1-9 (1-8)
  • Southwest Minnesota State, 1-9 (1-8)
Final week of the season:
  • UMary at Minnesota State-Moorhead
  • Sioux Falls at Southwest Minnesota State
  • Wayne State at Concordia-St. Paul
  • Minnesota Duluth at Minnesota State-Mankato
  • Northern State at Northern Michigan
  • Bemidji State at Augustana
  • Minot State at Winona State

just for Fun - WIAC Football scores - Nov 4

UW-LaCrosse 31, UW-River Falls 28 **
UW Whitewater 48, UW-Stevens Point 0
UW-Stout 38, UW-Eau Claire 13
UW-Platteville 22, UW-Oshkosh 7

**LaCrosse was up 31-7. RF scored the last 3 TD of the game. RF got ball back with 3:45 left in game. drove to LaC 10-yd line with 0:13 left. Pass went incomplete. att FG with 0:04 left - kick blocked.

LaCrosse now 8-1 overall/6-0 conf
Whitewater 8-1 over/5-1 conf
River Falls 7-2 over/4-2 conf

just for Fun - WIAC Football scores - Nov 4

UW-LaCrosse 31, UW-River Falls 28 **
UW Whitewater 48, UW-Stevens Point 0
UW-Stout 38, UW-Eau Claire 13
UW-Platteville 22, UW-Oshkosh 7

**LaCrosse was up 31-7. RF scored the last 3 TD of the game. RF got ball back with 3:45 left in game. drove to LaC 10-yd line with 0:13 left. Pass went incomplete. att FG with 0:04 left - kick blocked.

LaCrosse now 8-1 overall/6-0 conf
Whitewater 8-1 over/5-1 conf
River Falls 7-2 over/4-2 conf
If STU was still in the MIAC they would be destroying everyone, with the current level of competition.

If STU was still in the MIAC they would be destroying everyone, with the current level of competition.
Probably, but they aren't. Now they beat D3 teams masquerading as D1 teams in the conference they are in.

and the D3 football.com ratings are out

1. North Central (ill)
2. Mount Union
3. Wartburg
4. UW-LaCrosse
5. UW-Whitewater

11. UW-River Falls (#7 last week)
20. St. John's (MN) (#19 last week)

no new teams in top 25 - just shuffled the order

others receiving votes: Bethel (28th), UW-Platteville (33rd)

Just for fun, here are the current NAIA rankings. Hard to believe Morningside was once in the D2 powerhouse NCC with the Dakota four...

1. Northwestern (Iowa) 10-0
2. Grand View (Iowa) 9-0
3. Indiana Wesleyan 9-0
4. Keiser (Fla.) 7-2
5. College of Idaho 8-1
6. Georgetown (Ky.) 7-1
7. Marian (Ind.) 8-1
8. Bethel (Tenn.) 9-1
9. Evangel (Mo.) 10-0
10. Montana Western 8-1
11. Lindsey Wilson (Ky.) 7-2
12. Morningside (Iowa) 8-2
13. Saint Xavier (Ill.) 6-3
14. Benedictine (Kan.) 8-2
15. Texas Wesleyan 8-1
16. Carroll (Mont.) 7-2
17. Dordt (Iowa) 7-2
18. St. Thomas (Fla.) 7-3
19. OUAZ (Ariz.) 7-1
20. Dickinson State (N.D.) 8-1
21. Reinhardt (Ga.) 7-2
T-22. Baker (Kan.) 7-2
T-22. Montana Tech 6-3
24. Friends (Kan.) 8-2
25. Louisiana Christian 8-1

UW Stout won their 8th straight against UW Eau Claire in the War on 94 trophy game. I think it's the only trophy in the WIAC if I remember correctly

I wonder if the MIAC booting St. Thomas took the shine off the MIAC for what would be the top end type of talent - the type of talent that had the ability to play DII, maybe even FCS but chose to play for St.T, St. J. or Bethel?

Just for fun, here are the current NAIA rankings. Hard to believe Morningside was once in the D2 powerhouse NCC with the Dakota four...

1. Northwestern (Iowa) 10-0
2. Grand View (Iowa) 9-0
3. Indiana Wesleyan 9-0
4. Keiser (Fla.) 7-2
5. College of Idaho 8-1
6. Georgetown (Ky.) 7-1
7. Marian (Ind.) 8-1
8. Bethel (Tenn.) 9-1
9. Evangel (Mo.) 10-0
10. Montana Western 8-1
11. Lindsey Wilson (Ky.) 7-2
12. Morningside (Iowa) 8-2
13. Saint Xavier (Ill.) 6-3
14. Benedictine (Kan.) 8-2
15. Texas Wesleyan 8-1
16. Carroll (Mont.) 7-2
17. Dordt (Iowa) 7-2
18. St. Thomas (Fla.) 7-3
19. OUAZ (Ariz.) 7-1
20. Dickinson State (N.D.) 8-1
21. Reinhardt (Ga.) 7-2
T-22. Baker (Kan.) 7-2
T-22. Montana Tech 6-3
24. Friends (Kan.) 8-2
25. Louisiana Christian 8-1
Northwester (IA) beat FCS school and Pioneer League leading Drake. Drake throttled St. Thomas. To be fair, Northwestern does offer scholarships while Pioneer League does not.

Morningside I believe had some success in the NCC once upon a time in various sports but bailed on the NCC before the top schools left for Division 1. But while it's difficult to imagine such disparate schools being in the same conference, it's probably just as stark now in the NSIC. Mankato State has nothing in common with the University of Mary, for instance.

Northwester (IA) beat FCS school and Pioneer League leading Drake. Drake throttled St. Thomas. To be fair, Northwestern does offer scholarships while Pioneer League does not.

Morningside I believe had some success in the NCC once upon a time in various sports but bailed on the NCC before the top schools left for Division 1. But while it's difficult to imagine such disparate schools being in the same conference, it's probably just as stark now in the NSIC. Mankato State has nothing in common with the University of Mary, for instance.
The NAIA can literally just give kids cash. No hiding behind NIL or anything.

The NAIA can literally just give kids cash. No hiding behind NIL or anything.
A friend of mine played at Northwestern. He got a little scholarship money. Not a lot. No one was getting a full ride. No one was getting bags of cash. Maybe the rules allow for it but I can't imagine too many players at these NAIA schools are walking around flush.

A friend of mine played at Northwestern. He got a little scholarship money. Not a lot. No one was getting a full ride. No one was getting bags of cash. Maybe the rules allow for it but I can't imagine too many players at these NAIA schools are walking around flush.
This excellent article talks about it.

It's basically the wild west. I've known some people whose kids were recruited by NAIA schools. Are they getting rich? No. But it's wide open pay for performance.

This excellent article talks about it.

It's basically the wild west. I've known some people whose kids were recruited by NAIA schools. Are they getting rich? No. But it's wide open pay for performance.
The main difference: Scholarships aren't paid by the school to the school on the athlete's behalf - they are paid to the player. The player then decides what to do with the scholarship money. The player isn't getting a scholarship and cash from the school to play football. And there are limits on what NAIA programs can offer - a limited figure that the program decides on how to divvy up. I wonder how many NAIA players get their stipend, never pay tuition and are off the team and out of school before mid-semester?

I wonder how many NAIA players get their stipend, never pay tuition and are off the team and out of school before mid-semester?
Oh, I expect that's the case for a lot of them.

Championship Week in the MIAC for Football

Bethel 31, Gustavus 7 ** Conf Title game
St. John's 48, Concordia 21
Carleton 41, Augsburg 25
St. Olaf 28, Hamline 7
Macalester 40, St. Scholastica 20

---Bethel wins Conf title. Royals ran for 320 yds & 4 TD. Held Gustie QB Sandven to 184 yds & 1TD w/4 INT.
---St. John's QB Syverson w/448yds & 5TD.
--Carleton broke open game with 3TD in 3rd qtr
--Mac QB Nadeau 409yds & 4TD.

Final Standings:
Northwoods Division:
St. John's 8-2/7-1/3-1
Carleton 7-3/5-3/2-2
Gustavus 6-4/5-3/4-0
St. Olaf 5-5/3-4/1-3
St. Scholastica 2-8/1-6/0-4

Skyline Division:
Bethel 8-2/7-1/4-0
Augsburg 6-4/4-4/2-2
Concordia 5-5/4-4/3-1
Hamline 4-6/2-5/1-3
Macalester 3-7/0-7/0-4

The D3 football selection show is at 4pm on Sunday - stream live on NCAA.com. 32 teams. 28 spots to conference champions - 4 at-large berths. Playoffs begin with opening round on Sat, Nov 18.

WIAC football results - Nov 11

UW-LaCrosse 41, UW-Stevens Point 7
UW-Whitewater 59, UW-Eau Claire 0
UW-Oshkosh 38, UW-River Falls 31
UW-Platteville 41, UW-Stout 24

LaCrosse wins conf title at 7-0/9-1 overall
Whitewater 6-1/9-1
River Falls 4-3/7-3
Oshkosh 4-3/6-4
Platteville 4-3/6-4
Stout 2-5/4-6
Eau Claire 1-6/2-8
Stevens Point 0-7/1-9

LaCrosse with automatic bid for D3 playoffs. Whitewater hoping for at-large bid.

Championship Week in the MIAC for Football

Bethel 31, Gustavus 7 ** Conf Title game
St. John's 48, Concordia 21
Carleton 41, Augsburg 25
St. Olaf 28, Hamline 7
Macalester 40, St. Scholastica 20

---Bethel wins Conf title. Royals ran for 320 yds & 4 TD. Held Gustie QB Sandven to 184 yds & 1TD w/4 INT.
---St. John's QB Syverson w/448yds & 5TD.
--Carleton broke open game with 3TD in 3rd qtr
--Mac QB Nadeau 409yds & 4TD.

Final Standings:
Northwoods Division:
St. John's 8-2/7-1/3-1
Carleton 7-3/5-3/2-2
Gustavus 6-4/5-3/4-0
St. Olaf 5-5/3-4/1-3
St. Scholastica 2-8/1-6/0-4

Skyline Division:
Bethel 8-2/7-1/4-0
Augsburg 6-4/4-4/2-2
Concordia 5-5/4-4/3-1
Hamline 4-6/2-5/1-3
Macalester 3-7/0-7/0-4

The D3 football selection show is at 4pm on Sunday - stream live on NCAA.com. 32 teams. 28 spots to conference champions - 4 at-large berths. Playoffs begin with opening round on Sat, Nov 18.
Gustavus special teams put them in too big of a hole early.
1st TD was a fake punt on 4th and long that went for a 76 yard TD run.
Then after Bethel went up 10 - 0, they rolled the kick down and the up man for Gustavus didn't filed it cleanly and kicked the ball back towards all the Bethel players who recovered. Bethel then scored in about 5 plays.

WIAC football results - Nov 11

UW-LaCrosse 41, UW-Stevens Point 7
UW-Whitewater 59, UW-Eau Claire 0
UW-Oshkosh 38, UW-River Falls 31
UW-Platteville 41, UW-Stout 24

LaCrosse wins conf title at 7-0/9-1 overall
Whitewater 6-1/9-1
River Falls 4-3/7-3
Oshkosh 4-3/6-4
Platteville 4-3/6-4
Stout 2-5/4-6
Eau Claire 1-6/2-8
Stevens Point 0-7/1-9

LaCrosse with automatic bid for D3 playoffs. Whitewater hoping for at-large bid.

Whitewater is a lock for the top Pool C (at large) bid. River Falls had a chance but screwed the pooch.

River Falls will be going to their third straight Isthmus bowl in Madison. Kind of the D3 equivalent of that mineral water bowl Mankato and Winona went to a couple times for D2

I don’t see St. John’s on the bracket. Bethel at whitewater

Top Bottom