All Things COVID-19 College Football Impact

Not a huge deal. I assumed you hadn’t seen the latest before you typed the comment, so I reposted it to the new page.

“...At the same time, if I was a decision maker and caught even a whiff of this, I’d have a hard time proceeding with the season as planned.
Sorry I meant the myocarditis reports coming from anywhere, not just from this doc. The waters get muddy when we expect people to make judgements without all the info, and then judge their actions later when we have better info. Trying to say the threshold is of course going to be different, but in public we should absolutely be calling for a higher standard as PE suggested

Whenever there’s some potentially bad news, you’re the biggest cheerleader for the fallout. You enjoy this shit too much. Either that, or you drink way too much caffeine.
Entirely false. Guessing you’re projecting your hatred for progressives all onto me. Which makes sense, but is petty. You’re better than that.

Entirely false. Guessing you’re projecting your hatred for progressives all onto me. Which makes sense, but is petty. You’re better than that.

Politics has noting to do with my impressions of your posting style. You’re not exactly the only progressive on GH.

I wish whether to play football wasn’t politicized, but here we are.

FWIW, Michigan high school football was green lighted today. Maybe Walz will follow suit?

What is an acceptable level of added risk for college football, an already dangerous sport? A reasonable person might conclude that a 1/10 chance of heart inflammation following a bout of Covid-19 entails too much additional risk. Should there be an attempt by team physicians to identify potential cardiac risk in a recovered athlete? If so, what diagnostic tests are to be used...and when?
These would seem to be important questions to answer.

Are they really going to reverse course and start playing in October? Wow.

Some of the clowns in here have some real TDS. They hate trump and don’t know why other than orange man bad. Yet they will vote Biden, a pedophile, and someone who has been in big government for 40 plus years without accomplishing anything, but he miraculously will once he president. News flash, guy doesn’t even know where he is when he wakes up.

liberalism is a mental disease and it shows. Look at the clown talking national guard attacking citizens. Ok North Korea wannabe. Sounds like the place for you, but you won’t, you will stay and enjoy the freedoms America capitalism provides.

TRUMP TRAIN will roll sleepy joe and the liberal tears will flood the Mississippi.

Politics has noting to do with my impressions of your posting style. You’re not exactly the only progressive on GH.

FWIW, Michigan high school football was green lighted today. Maybe Walz will follow suit?
Fine if politics doesn’t influence it, but you’re still false. For example, I’ve defended the U about the Gophers getting to play if the Big Ten were to change its vote (if there actually is a revote).

Minnesota and the HSL have to do what is in the best interest of this state, not Michigan.

So with 6 schools confirming they have no myocarditis issues with their athletes... that must mean that the Gophers all have it if the 35% number they based canceling the season off of is true.

“Holy crap!!! 35% ???? No way that’s real!! Fake news!!”

“You’re right, sorry. It was actually 15%.”

“See!!!! Jeez!!! Told you it was wayyyyyy lower than 35%!!!”

Someone here is a deceiver. A disciple of the father of lies. Not naming names. You know who.

Not political at all, I'm sure. The data was just suddenly interpreted massively different I guess? Recent polling seems to be having quite the effect on some of these decisions....

Someone here... not naming names... someone VERY CLOSE... is a deceiver. A disciple of the father of lies. You know who.

Less definitely needs a shower. He lives up my ass. :LOL:

I agree with PE, here say and anecdotes are not scientific or medical opinion that the public should put a lot of stock in. At the same time, if I was a decision maker and caught even a whiff of this, I’d have a hard time proceeding with the season as planned. I think the threshold is a lot lower just due to liability issues.

I disagree with the idea that “medical science” has failed us as one of the tweets has stated. Politicizing medical science is what has failed us. A lot of really good science and medicine still chugging along.

You’re not concerned with physicians misstating research and clinical cases? Media misstating the importance of various clinical findings and the limitations of those findings? We should all expect better, and hold nuanced discussions.

What is an acceptable level of added risk for college football, an already dangerous sport? A reasonable person might conclude that a 1/10 chance of heart inflammation following a bout of Covid-19 entails too much additional risk. Should there be an attempt by team physicians to identify potential cardiac risk in a recovered athlete? If so, what diagnostic tests are to be used...and when?
These would seem to be important questions to answer.

Yep. The risk is there, the nuance (and this is what Venk, Ackermann and many others are saying) is the clinical importance of the more innocuous MRI findings and whether those translate into long term issues. Maybe, possibly. If yes, to what degree? Is this more relevant to a pro athlete than joe Schmuck? Are the scant studies with minor MRI markers enough evidence to shut down society? Best to avoid infection, if we can. Test, test, test. Use common sense.

Yep. The risk is there, the nuance (and this is what Venk, Ackermann and many others are saying) is the clinical importance of the more innocuous MRI findings and whether those translate into long term issues. Maybe, possibly. If yes, to what degree? Is this more relevant to a pro athlete than joe Schmuck? Are the scant studies with minor MRI markers enough evidence to shut down society? Best to avoid infection, if we can. Test, test, test. Use common sense.
Gaslight any result or hypothesis you don't like.

That is how science progresses. :rolleyes:

You’re not concerned with physicians misstating research and clinical cases? Media misstating the importance of various clinical findings and the limitations of those findings? We should all expect better, and hold nuanced discussions.
Of course I’m concerned about those things. Those things still happen outside of Covid, but they aren’t legitimized and given a voice because no one cares, because if it’s not useful for a narrative, why ever repeat it? We’re giving voices to people that have no business influencing public opinion on a subject, just because they agree with what we want to be true.

But again, I agree, we should demand better, especially on the translation to the general public aspect. Do you actually think medical science has failed us? I’m maybe unnaturally defensive on the subject since it’s my background...

"CORRECTION: Penn State Health later clarified that the 30-35% figure pertaining to COVID-19-positive Big Ten athletes verbally shared with Dr. Wayne Sebastianelli by a colleague was actually published at the lower rate of 15%. He was unaware of that when he made his comments at the State College school board meeting, and when he confirmed his comments to the Centre Daily Times."

Read more here: https://www.centredaily.com/sports/...-football/article245448050.html#storylink=cpy

This study does not exist.

More posterior-based statistics?

We are talking about student-athletes. The student-athletes are gambling with their lives to play a game with no compensation. You want to see a season, provide long term health insurance and payment. Otherwise, wait for a vaccine.

SI says that Daniels' study is awaiting peer-review (that was at the end of August).

Guess who won't be reviewing it? Ackerman. Because he isn't a scientist in that field.

Of course I’m concerned about those things. Those things still happen outside of Covid, but they aren’t legitimized and given a voice because no one cares, because if it’s not useful for a narrative, why ever repeat it? We’re giving voices to people that have no business influencing public opinion on a subject, just because they agree with what we want to be true.

But again, I agree, we should demand better, especially on the translation to the general public aspect. Do you actually think medical science has failed us? I’m maybe unnaturally defensive on the subject since it’s my background...

Totally failed? No. There are cracks in the facade and an increasing loss of trust.

In 2020 (and high profile enough to get into the general public sphere):
Surgisphere debacle and retraction - important?
The German JAMA myocarditis study riddled with errors?
Epidemiological models.

What is the status of peer review? Funding sources, allocation? Quality? In 2020.

Turns out he was repeating hearsay/speaking out of his posterior. Sort of like Alchemy, Mpls, and some others that don’t have the first inclination of what they’re talking about.
Quit making stuff up. We all had the same initial information. As we dig deeper, we find that it is from 3 month study that will be publish after it finishes peer review (like all accredited scientific articles) by Dr Curt Daniels at Ohio State. The PSU advisor made a mistake and said that it was 30-35% when in fact it is 15%. That is still a very high number. The study use cardiac MRI's which are not routinely done at other universities because of availability and cost.

Here is a link to the story:
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/23/sports/ncaafootball/college-football-myocarditis-coronavirus.html

Top Bottom