All Things COVID-19 College Football Impact

Let's push for herd immunity, I think every college football player should be intentionally infected so we can get this season going in two weeks...lol

Hell make it every college student, we need fans in the stands....

criminal behavior? Such as what? And Biden is your man you voting for?
If you can't see that Trump is basically a two bit con man and criminal I can't help you...
Money laundering for starters...
Oh and the lies, I can't look past the nonstop never ending lies...

Let's push for herd immunity, I think every college football player should be intentionally infected so we can get this season going in two weeks...lol

Hell make it every college student, we need fans in the stands....

Considering the constant monitoring, stakes, peer pressure football players probably have the lowest probability of infection or follow on complications of anyone in the 18-24 college age group.

Currently right now in B1G country:

In the state of Pennsylvania;
- HS football being played all across the state
- Temple Univ and Pitt are playing college football
- Pittsburgh Steelers and Phil Eagles are playing football
- No football for Penn State

In the state of Ohio:
- Cincinnati Bearcats playing college football (among others)
- Cleveland Browns and Cincinnati Bengals are playing football
- No football for Ohio State

Sure, not political at all. Easy to explain to the B1G student athletes why they are getting hosed, I'm sure. Easy answers to those questions I'll bet.

^^ The whole Twitter dump: if none are PhD’s, then not a single one is an expert opinion.

They’d be every bit of a layperson as PE is.
You gotta be careful here with that thought process. Because one awarded a degree in a particular field doesn’t mean that they only do that work. Many MDs are researchers and many go beyond being a GP or a cardiologist. There is a lot of overlap in this type of work. If we fail to think so, then everyone on this board with the exception of a handful of people could be qualified to comment. I believe many of us have expertise in areas where we could make a reasonable thought or argument to validate a point without being considered unqualified to do so, yourself included. But hey that’s just my opinion. 😀

on the fandom thing - we have a mobile society. people relocate but take their old sports allegiances with them.

And based on my experience with Nebraska fans, they are very devoted to that program, no matter where they live. whether they are realistic about the program's current place in the college football world is another topic, but they love them Huskers.
Great post. Not sure they are realistic but they are great fans.

Maybe I’m misunderstanding your post, but do you have an issue with posting informed debate from actual cardiology experts? Fine to take issue with twitter as a medium. It’s limiting.
Quips on Twitter are not how science debates should be settled. Science has a long history of using peer reviewed journals to disseminate information and find the agreed upon theory. That process weeds out most, if not all misinformation. There is room for debate within science (or medicine) but my fear is that our populace that generally doesn't understand science as well as it should, will misinterpret tweets (even if by credible doctors and scientists) as fact. We are still way too early in the epidemic and people (on both sides) are just latching onto whatever tweet supports their agenda.

In the state of Ohio:

Sure, not political at all. Easy to explain to the B1G student athletes why they are getting hosed, I'm sure. Easy answers to those questions I'll bet.
Also, saw on the ticker while watching TXSt./SMU, Browns and Bengals will each be allowed to have 6k fans. So not only will they be playing, but they will have (limited) fans.

Iowa has HS football and ISU playing as well.

When some of you say that this is all political what exactly do you mean? Are you saying the decision makers in the Big10 and Pac12 are postponing the season because they hate Trump and want to blame the schools losing potentially hundreds of millions of dollars on him? I'm genuinely confused.

I think it's perfectly fine to have a different risk/reward appetite than other conferences without politics entering the discussion.

Quips on Twitter are not how science debates should be settled. Science has a long history of using peer reviewed journals to disseminate information and find the agreed upon theory. That process weeds out most, if not all misinformation. There is room for debate within science (or medicine) but my fear is that our populace that generally doesn't understand science as well as it should, will misinterpret tweets (even if by credible doctors and scientists) as fact. We are still way too early in the epidemic and people (on both sides) are just latching onto whatever tweet supports their agenda.

This thread is a result of an absurd and false claim made by a PSU athletics physician that was widely reported in the media. I’d argue some of the people here need some more balanced perspective. Of course consensus builds over time in electronic and print media, which is usually a very slow process but some issues have been“politicized” this year, to say the least.. This MRI issue in particular won’t have any resolution in the short term. Most commentary I’ve seen is there is unnecessary alarmism around the MRI T1 findings.

Last edited:

By the time the cardiologists come to a consensus the season will be over and a vaccine available. I think any player who's had Covid and wants a cardiac MRI before returning to play, they should be able to get one. Beyond that, if they want to roll the dice, its fine.

Exactly. Too many people misunderstand debate within the scientific community as definitive conclusions. "Experts" in various related fields can always offer their opinions on a topic based upon their experiences and knowledge. That does not mean that everyone of them has made the correct conclusion or that their opinion can never change if they see additional information. Scientists are not afraid to admit they were wrong and are not dogmatic about a specific conclusion. They let the data and insight reveal the conclusion.

The study by the Dr Daniels at Ohio State finds certain characteristics in a significant percentage of Covid-19 patients. That adds new information that was not available earlier. The ultimate conclusions on what precautions should be taken are still unknown. It just alerts people to be aware of what is happening, it is part of the learning process.

It is counter productive for others to turn it into a witch-hunt because it doesn't fit with their narrative.

Another tweet that supports my “agenda”. U of M cardiologist.

That is his opinion. Of course, clinical features of myocarditis measure indicators of damage that has already taken place to the heart (like the NFL is testing). Not sure if the damage is harmful enough, but we do know that myocarditis is much more dangerous to elite athletes that undergo strenuous physical training. For use, we may not even notice it at the levels that are testing in the clinic.

When some of you say that this is all political what exactly do you mean? Are you saying the decision makers in the Big10 and Pac12 are postponing the season because they hate Trump and want to blame the schools losing potentially hundreds of millions of dollars on him? I'm genuinely confused.

I think it's perfectly fine to have a different risk/reward appetite than other conferences without politics entering the discussion.

You best not try to reason with them.

As of a couple weeks ago, 25 of the 26 states with
republican governors are playing high school fall football. 15 out of 22 with dem governors are not playing football. 2 undecided.

Pac12 is dem country and is not. The south, southeast, and midwest are more conservative and those college conferences are playing. Big ten is somewhat split, however the 3 schools that voted to keep playing are in conservative states.

Seems like the big10 thought the big10 not playing would be a positive for the anti-trump cause, however it has not worked out that way. The other conferences did not follow the big 10's lead. Also, despite biden running an ad blaming trump for the big10 shutdown, it doesnt appear to be sticking.
Dems fear they will be blamed in battleground states now when the other conferences kickoff.

All political.

Last edited:

so, to be clear -

Professional sports-writers and broadcasters who cover the B1G for a living are not reporting any of this.

but some guy on Twitter has the scoop on a huge sports story with national implications.

Sounds plausible to me.

Oh, and I just got an e-mail that I won a sweepstakes. All I have to do is send in $5,000 in Walmart Gift Cards to cover my share of expenses and provide them with my personal banking information. What a deal. I'm so lucky!

(seriously - Walmart has been cracking down on sales of large amounts of gift cards because so many people are using them in scams.....)

I agree with you, however more and more it’s not the big reporters that break news coverage now, people have access to data, people etc like never before and access to share the info with the extreme rise in instant sharing capabilities. This allows what seems to be normal joes to know more than we think they should. But they do. For example my best friend is the head of basketball operations at a SEC school. I know more just texting with him than many beat writers for the SEC because he trusts that I will be responsible with the info.

Dude,
View attachment 9279
[/QUOTE
That's pretty amazing, if accurate! With the number of hospitalizations so low (in this case, ZERO), I think that the higher the number of positive COVID-19 tests, the MORE credence it gives to the idea that the Big Ten should be playing football right now. According to that chart, COVID-19 should not be taken seriously by the college-aged.

I read some posts and of course no one can legitimately say why they hate orange man bad other then they have a disease called liberalism.

1) orange man bad cause “wall”. Why does every place in country have fences up or no trespassing signs? Privacy? Seal off your property? Don’t want to be intruded from strangers? I bet if I came to your yard and popped a squat you would call police to have me removed or if I pitched tent to stay and starting building my home there you would be furious. Don’t even lie and say you wouldn’t. I don’t care who builds or pays for it, it’s protecting America. Imagine instead of our illegal past President Obama giving 150 billion to Iran he put into into America protection.

2) trump says mean things! Well everything isn’t sunshine and roses like your everyone gets a trophy mommy and daddy taught you. PC has destroyed so much so I’m glad a trump says what’s on his mind.

3) trump fights for the little man, businesses to succeed. Law and order. Every major city has been ran by Democrats and everyone of them is lawlessness. I’ll use Minneapolis, they are so extreme left they watched Minneapolis burn instead of protect it. I don’t feel sorry for Minneapolis, you get what you voted for and they voted Democrat. Match made in heaven.

4) Democrats are openly telling you they will strip you of your rights. They already are censoring free speech through Big tech and media. 2A is under attack and they have openly said they are coming for your guns and rights to carry. Voter fraud, they are pushing this to fraud American voters and there are many cases. Before you try and say libs are not on voter fraud there is a reason they don’t want you to have ID to vote and other things to prove identity.

and lastly. The scamdemic has shown the liberals are a do as I say not as I do. Crazy Nanci recent hair gate. Deblasio and Cuomo handling of it and then walking around without masks. Thankfully I don’t live in these states, no mask for me and enjoying freedoms.

Also, trump has dedicated the most resources to child sex trafficking than any president in US history. There is also many other good things he has done such as work with NK, Brokered peace deals, killed terrorists, destroyed ISIS, and kept us out of wars. None of this is good though to liberals.

what I said won’t change any minds which is fine. Liberalism is a mental disorder.
To be a conservative, you simply need to lack any empathy and compassion for fellow human beings. That's really what it amounts to.

Your post demonstrates this perfectly.

Exactly. Too many people misunderstand debate within the scientific community as definitive conclusions. "Experts" in various related fields can always offer their opinions on a topic based upon their experiences and knowledge. That does not mean that everyone of them has made the correct conclusion or that their opinion can never change if they see additional information. Scientists are not afraid to admit they were wrong and are not dogmatic about a specific conclusion. They let the data and insight reveal the conclusion.

The study by the Dr Daniels at Ohio State finds certain characteristics in a significant percentage of Covid-19 patients. That adds new information that was not available earlier. The ultimate conclusions on what precautions should be taken are still unknown. It just alerts people to be aware of what is happening, it is part of the learning process.

It is counter productive for others to turn it into a witch-hunt because it doesn't fit with their narrative.

In summary, you want to be panicked and you want to panic millions of your fellow Americans over innocuous solitary MRI findings that have no known clinical correlation. The worst.

If you can't see that Trump is basically a two bit con man and criminal I can't help you...
Money laundering for starters...
Oh and the lies, I can't look past the nonstop never ending lies...
There is a fantastic hour-long episode of a docu-series on Netflix, going into great detail of how Trump is, at best, an awful businessman who got everything he ever had from his daddy. His dad was actually a pretty sharp businessman. Trump has none of that. His dad bailed him out, at least once. By the end (just before being elected), Trump didn't even develop buildings anymore. He just licensed his name to be slapped on front of the building. That's it.

But more realistically, he is absolutely a con man and a fraud.

I actually agree with Trump on alot of things, but his criminal behavior is where I draw the line. I also believe those in power should be held accountable for how they use their power which Trump obviously doesn't believe...

Haha, passive-aggressive TDS. Love it!

That is his opinion. Of course, clinical features of myocarditis measure indicators of damage that has already taken place to the heart (like the NFL is testing). Not sure if the damage is harmful enough, but we do know that myocarditis is much more dangerous to elite athletes that undergo strenuous physical training. For use, we may not even notice it at the levels that are testing in the clinic.

For once, you said something that’s partially true. We don’t know and we won’t know for months, years and maybe decades if the isolated MRI findings (they do NOT necessarily -and most likely don’t - indicate permanent scarring/damage) lead to increased problems. Many/most experts (just go look) are cautioning about alarmism and question the significance of these isolated findings. That’s where the science is today.

Professional athletes are not the only ones that push their hearts hard. Millions of exercisers, amateurs, hikers etc. There has not been an epidemic of increased heart problems at this time.

Think about unintended consequences of spreading unfounded panic and fear. What is it with a significant portion of the population that wants to live in perpetual fear of unlikely events?

This thread is a result of an absurd and false claim made by a PSU athletics physician that was widely reported in the media. I’d argue some of the people here need some more balanced perspective. Of course consensus builds over time in electronic and print media, which is usually a very slow process but some issues have been“politicized” this year, to say the least.. This MRI issue in particular won’t have any resolution in the short term. Most commentary I’ve seen is there is unnecessary alarmism around the MRI T1 findings.
My post wasn't necessarily directed at you. As a science guy myself (I'm an IT alum) I've never been a huge fan of science that is not "settled" grabbing headlines in the newspaper or cable news crawls. Now it's on Twitter. I think it gives a false impression to many (not necessarily you) of how science works or that it's flawed because there is disagreement. Its a general concern I have that isn't directly related to COVID or myocarditis, but certainly applies here to some degree.

In the state of Ohio:

Not a single pro or college team you named above, played a game this weekend. So this post is clearly bunk.

Top Bottom