All Things COVID-19 College Football Impact

“Quarantined”

That could mean:

a) The team is quarantining, to minimize contact with the public.

b) Those three tested positive.

c) Bateman is just joking around.

I'm guessing B. I think they all live together.

BSF replied in the comment saying "ducked off". Had to google that one.

Think they're just having fun.

You know these Gen Z kids.

The American Academy of Pediatrics is a cabal of psychopaths that want to kill children and educators

COVID-19 Planning Considerations: Guidance for School Re-entry

With the above principles in mind, the AAP strongly advocates that all policy considerations for the coming school year should start with a goal of having students physically present in school. The importance of inperson learning is well-documented, and there is already evidence of the negative impacts on children because of school closures in the spring of 2020. Lengthy time away from school and associated interruption of supportive services often results in social isolation, making it difficult for schools to identify and address important learning deficits as well as child and adolescent physical or sexual abuse, substance use, depression, and suicidal ideation. This, in turn, places children and adolescents at considerable risk of morbidity and, in some cases, mortality. Beyond the educational impact and social impact of school closures, there has been substantial impact on food security and physical activity for children and families.

Policy makers must also consider the mounting evidence regarding COVID-19 in children and adolescents, including the role they may play in transmission of the infection. SARS-CoV-2 appears to behave differently in children and adolescents than other common respiratory viruses, such as influenza, on which much of the current guidance regarding school closures is based. Although children and adolescents play a major role in amplifying influenza outbreaks, to date, this does not appear to be the case with SARS-CoV-2. Although many questions remain, the preponderance of evidence indicates that children and adolescents are less likely to be symptomatic and less likely to have severe disease resulting from SARS-CoV-2 infection. In addition, children may be less likely to become infected and to spread infection. Policies to mitigate the spread of COVID-19 within schools must be balanced with the known harms to children, adolescents, families, and the community by keeping children at home.

Finally, policy makers should acknowledge that COVID-19 policies are intended to mitigate, not eliminate, risk. No single action or set of actions will completely eliminate the risk of SARS-CoV-2 transmission, but implementation of several coordinated interventions can greatly reduce that risk.

The American Academy of Pediatrics is a cabal of psychopaths that want to kill children and educators.

From the guy often lamenting about how we can't have civil discourse. Must be frustrating to always take the high road and be by yourself. BTW, I happen to agree with the article since I have a 10 year grandson and he needs to be in a school setting. But it doesn't address solve the problem of teachers, secretaries, janitors, cooks, bus drivers, etc. getting seriously ill or worse so why lump in "educators?"

From the guy often lamenting about how we can't have civil discourse. Must be frustrating to always take the high road and be by yourself. BTW, I happen to agree with the article since I have a 10 year grandson and he needs to be in a school setting. But it doesn't address solve the problem of teachers, secretaries, janitors, cooks, bus drivers, etc. getting seriously ill or worse so why lump in "educators?"

Why would secretaries, janitors, bus drivers be in any more danger than any other essential worker? Use common sense, social distance, barriers, PPE. It is possible to overcome these problems, if you really want to. Do you?

Why would secretaries, janitors, bus drivers be in any more danger than any other essential worker? Use common sense, social distance, barriers, PPE. It is possible to overcome these problems, if you really want to. Do you?

They have the most diversity of contacts from the public, the greatest amount of duration and contact, and for some social distancing is next to impossible. They have the highest risk for CoVid-19 infection.

One Walmart store in the Twin Cities had 17 cashiers/store workers test positive for CoVid-19 within a thirty-day period.

Think of the least thought of and under appreciated invisible workers that we are now seeing as making very important contributor to our modern life - hotel workers, janitors, bus drivers, grocery store workers, workers working in farms and slaughter houses for instance. Many of these workers in slaughterhouses and farms are underpaid itinerant families or migrant workers who work long hours and live in tight quarters.

They have the most diversity of contacts from the public, the greatest amount of duration and contact, and for some social distancing is next to impossible. They have the highest risk for CoVid-19 infection.

One Walmart store in the Twin Cities had 17 cashiers/store workers test positive for CoVid-19 within a thirty-day period.

Think of the least thought of and under appreciated invisible workers that we are now seeing as making very important contributor to our modern life - hotel workers, janitors, bus drivers, grocery store workers, workers working in farms and slaughter houses for instance. Many of these workers in slaughterhouses and farms are underpaid itinerant families or migrant workers who work long hours and live in tight quarters.

There is a solid chance younger individuals are contracting the virus outside work rather than in administrative, retail, grocery, janitorial positions. You can’t compare office workers, for example to meat packing plants where they are situated a few feet apart or elbow to elbow. Janitors should be well versed in universal precautions. Disappointing what I’m reading here.

There is a solid chance younger individuals are contracting the virus outside work rather than in administrative, retail, grocery, janitorial positions. You can’t compare office workers, for example to meat packing plants where they are situated a few feet apart or elbow to elbow. Janitors should be well versed in universal precautions. Disappointing what I’m reading here.

Agreed on all points. We see young people going to bars and restaurants totally ignoring precautions, and people either cooped in wanting to act "normal" again, or lulled into tranquility. Family gatherings infecting multiple people. Texas, Florida, the Carolinas all are opening too soon.

Last edited:

If I come in contact with someone who tests positive, I’m required to quarantine for 14 days, whether I test positive or not. Are you saying it shouldn’t be the same for football players?

I don’t think this is going to work.

The deaths of the young involve the chronically ill like terminal cancer patients and 400 pounders with severe type A diabetes.

Infections are up, deaths are down. Talk to a Math major about what that means...

1593427230882.png

As the lock-downs come off, cases are skyrocketing and the overall rate of lethality is plummeting. The scary part of COVID is that it is highly infectious and tore through the New York City subway system picking out those with fragile health. Now we know which people to protect and which people can move freely so we can get herd immunity as fast as possible.

FREEDOM.

The very significant skewing of new cases to the young and the abundant postings of people behaving badly at bars, etc hint at where the resurgence is sourcing from. We need to be smart, not irresponsible. The virus will be with us for a very long time and we need to learn to live with it. Sorry.

The very significant skewing of new cases to the young and the abundant postings of people behaving badly at bars, etc hint at where the resurgence is sourcing from. We need to be smart, not irresponsible. The virus will be with us for a very long time and we need to learn to live with it. Sorry.
You might be right, but you're just trying to sell your layperson's wild guess as if it had credibility. You don't have any more than any other GH poster on here, myself included.

Although many questions remain, the preponderance of evidence indicates that children and adolescents are less likely to be symptomatic and less likely to have severe disease resulting from SARS-CoV-2 infection. In addition, children may be less likely to become infected and to spread infection.

First sentence, I buy. I believe it to be correct.

Second sentence, there is no evidence of this that I'm aware of. And the two things mentioned in the sentence are two completely separate things that may have nothing to do with each other.

If it were proven that gradeschool kids don't spread the virus, that's the only concern that needs to be dealt with. It hasn't been proven, and is the main concern that's keeping schools from reopening.

The deaths of the young involve the chronically ill like terminal cancer patients and 400 pounders with severe type A diabetes.

Infections are up, deaths are down. Talk to a Math major about what that means...

View attachment 8563

As the lock-downs come off, cases are skyrocketing and the overall rate of lethality is plummeting. The scary part of COVID is that it is highly infectious and tore through the New York City subway system picking out those with fragile health. Now we know which people to protect and which people can move freely so we can get herd immunity as fast as possible.

FREEDOM.
AMEN?

Now we know which people to protect and which people can move freely so we can get herd immunity as fast as possible.

Which Harry Potter spell do you propose that will "protect" those who you (disrespectfully) label as "fragile" and are vulnerable?

That's the whole point. Unless we're prepared to round them up and lock them in isolation chambers until a cure/vaccine is proven and available, then it is impossible that letting people be free, as you desire, won't cause a chain of (possibly asymptomatic) infections that eventually reaches a vulnerable person.

Now we know which people to protect and which people can move freely so we can get herd immunity as fast as possible.

Which Harry Potter spell do you propose that will "protect" those who you (disrespectfully) label as "fragile" and are vulnerable?

That's the whole point. Unless we're prepared to round them up and lock them in isolation chambers until a cure/vaccine is proven and available, then it is impossible that letting people be free, as you desire, won't cause a chain of (possibly asymptomatic) infections that eventually reaches a vulnerable person.
By telling the vulnerable to stay inside/ be careful when you go outside.
If you have driven by any towns outside of the cities you have probably seen that many people are over worrying about the virus. Drove to Excelsior yesterday and every park, sidewalk, beach, store, was totally full of people. Only saw a handful of people wearing masks. Healthy people are ready to move on and get back to a close to normal life. Healthy people are starting to realize that the risks we take doing everyday tasks are similar to the virus.

I'm at the point now where I think everyone just has to accept that covid-19 is going to be a part of daily life.

a lot of people will test positive. a small % of those will become seriously sick.

The focus should be on hospitalizations and ICU beds - not on the # of positive cases.

For college and HS sports, in most cases, I think covid is just going to be another reason why players miss games, and teams will have to adjust.

the question is this - if a player or coach does become seriously ill, or even die, how will teams and/or conferences react?

will one death shut down a sport - or do we accept it as the cost of doing business in the covid era?
That is the question none of us on the board can answer. it's up to the NCAA and the conferences.

By telling the vulnerable to stay inside/ be careful when you go outside.
If you have driven by any towns outside of the cities you have probably seen that many people are over worrying about the virus. Drove to Excelsior yesterday and every park, sidewalk, beach, store, was totally full of people. Only saw a handful of people wearing masks. Healthy people are ready to move on and get back to a close to normal life. Healthy people are starting to realize that the risks we take doing everyday tasks are similar to the virus.
You don’t respect the rights of the vulnerable to not be infected by you. As long as you and your family aren’t vulnerable, who cares am I right?

You don’t respect the rights of the vulnerable to not be infected by you. As long as you and your family aren’t vulnerable, who cares am I right?
Letting healthy people go back to there jobs and start living mostly normal lives is a calculated risk for the greater good of the country

Although many questions remain, the preponderance of evidence indicates that children and adolescents are less likely to be symptomatic and less likely to have severe disease resulting from SARS-CoV-2 infection. In addition, children may be less likely to become infected and to spread infection.

First sentence, I buy. I believe it to be correct.

Second sentence, there is no evidence of this that I'm aware of. And the two things mentioned in the sentence are two completely separate things that may have nothing to do with each other.

If it were proven that gradeschool kids don't spread the virus, that's the only concern that needs to be dealt with. It hasn't been proven, and is the main concern that's keeping schools from reopening.

They’re just lay people with no access to or understanding of the current evidence. Your “wild guess” is equally valid to a respected professional body composed of individuals with actual liability concerns, unlike you.

They wouldn’t have put “may”, they would’ve linked to the study or studies proving that children don’t spread the disease. They didn’t, you didn’t.

Until proven otherwise, I’ll assume no such studies exist. But my opinion on here is worthless, as is every other person who posts on GH. Experts, there are none.

Fianto Duri!
Bodies crossing the boundaries of the barrier disintegrate on the spot

Repello Muggletu!
Self explanatory

Protego diabolico!
Allows the user to create a protective ring of black fire around them that completely incinerates enemies of the caster

Isolation chambers, like homes? Multi family homes and apartments? We know self quarantine policies lock in the infected with non-infected. Of course if there are mandatory quarantine center stays many will avoid getting tested in the first place to avoid the temporary relocation, and child care complications, and job complications. We haven’t tried a real shutdown yet, one that would halt transmission completely and I don’t suspect we will. Not practical, and we are currently in the throes of an an all hands anti-authority boogaloo so I don’t see that going well. The vulnerable/fragile have (some) ways to protect themselves to the extent feasible.

They wouldn’t have put “may”, they would’ve linked to the study or studies proving that children don’t spread the disease. They didn’t, you didn’t.

Until proven otherwise, I’ll assume no such studies exist. But my opinion on here is worthless, as is every other person who posts on GH. Experts, there are none.

There isn’t much certainty in science, I’m afraid to tell you. There are only varying probabilities under an endless set of variables and scenarios. That’s going to have to do. Understand it’s difficult for the black/white thinker set.

Fianto Duri!
Bodies crossing the boundaries of the barrier disintegrate on the spot

Repello Muggletu!
Self explanatory

Protego diabolico!
Allows the user to create a protective ring of black fire around them that completely incinerates enemies of the caster

Isolation chambers, like homes? Multi family homes and apartments? We know self quarantine policies lock in the infected with non-infected. Of course if there are mandatory quarantine center stays many will avoid getting tested in the first place to avoid the temporary relocation, and child care complications, and job complications. We haven’t tried a real shutdown yet, one that would halt transmission completely and I don’t suspect we will. Not practical, and we are currently in the throes of an an all hands anti-authority boogaloo so I don’t see that going well. The vulnerable/fragile have (some) ways to protect themselves to the extent feasible.
If they’re forced to return to work, then they don’t.

If you want to make it so that the government pays their previous salaries in order to enable them to stay at home until vaccine is proven and ready, by all means propose that.

Of course, there will still be random cases of young, healthy, comorbidity free, people dying. It has happened and will happen again, to the horror and befuddlement of all.

There isn’t much certainty in science, I’m afraid to tell you. There are only varying probabilities under an endless set of variables and scenarios. That’s going to have to do. Understand it’s difficult for the black/white thinker set.
This I actually agree with you whole heartedly. And have said similar before.

So it’s disappointing for them to dishonestly suggest that authorities believe something to be true when no evidence even supports it at all.

Just link to one decent study that supports the idea that children likely don’t take the disease home with them and give it to their family members.

One of the fundamental problems with this disease, from day one, has been the existence of people who have no symptoms and yet spread the disease.

If they’re forced to return to work, then they don’t.

If you want to make it so that the government pays their previous salaries in order to enable them to stay at home until vaccine is proven and ready, by all means propose that.

Of course, there will still be random cases of young, healthy, comorbidity free, people dying. It has happened and will happen again, to the horror and befuddlement of all.
I could get behind a law where the government says if you are above a certain age or if you have pre-existing conditions that your employer can't force you to physically go back to work.

And for the rare cases of young healthy people who weirdly die from the virus. I see it as being similar to the rare cases where a healthy 30 year old who never smokes gets lung cancer. There really isn't a good explanation sometimes and you just have to hope that these cases stay extremely rare.

the question is this - if a player or coach does become seriously ill, or even die, how will teams and/or conferences react?

will one death shut down a sport - or do we accept it as the cost of doing business in the covid era?
That is the question none of us on the board can answer. it's up to the NCAA and the conferences.

This is a good question and reasonable people will disagree. The sport obviously accepts some level of risk of serious harm, eg MRSA issues on artificial turf and in locker rooms (see Alex Smith for a recent example of that serious but relatively rare risk), concussion, paralysis, and the inherent and not-zero risks of orthopedic surgeries. The statistics of the young, hospitalized, severely ill COVID will shed some light. Are they truly without co-morbidities? Do they have deranged immune responses? Did the young dead suffer somewhat rare complications of inpatient care and infectious disease,not necessarily viral-related?

So much rides on public opinion and leadership, which is unfortunately severely lacking due to the outsized influence of twitter mob and the real mob. Perception becomes reality for many.

Last edited:

No way that happens “organically”. It was organized, amongst the players. That’s my story and I’m stickin with it!

Yes Clemson is all in on National Championship and won't let Covid derail it, I think it's definitely organized and I am surprised more teams haven't done it. Need to keep it on the way down low because if coach involved then they are done...

This I actually agree with you whole heartedly. And have said similar before.

So it’s disappointing for them to dishonestly suggest that authorities believe something to be true when no evidence even supports it at all.

Just link to one decent study that supports the idea that children likely don’t take the disease home with them and give it to their family members.

One of the fundamental problems with this disease, from day one, has been the existence of people who have no symptoms and yet spread the disease.

Do you have evidence to support your assertion? There is some level of evidence, quality unknown. I’m not going to look it up for you, again.

Is there any harm to closing school, in your mind?

Yes Clemson is all in on National Championship and won't let Covid derail it, I think it's definitely organized and I am surprised more teams haven't done it. Need to keep it on the way down low because if coach involved then they are done...
I have only wild speculation, no proof of anything. My gut says coaches weren’t involved, and it was a player organized idea. Same as “captains practices”. Get players in a room and say “look man, you really want to let covid screw our season over?? It’s not gonna kill you, you probably won’t even feel sick. Just get it over with!”

Top Bottom