All Things COVID-19 College Football Impact

At the end of the day, any player who wishes to sit it out is free to do so. These are adults. Is anyone aware of a single instance of a college football player refusing to play because of Covid? If they don’t get infected on the football field, it will probably happen elsewhere......

Looks like a RB outing. Mo, Treyson Potts, Bryce Williams and then maybe (?) Preston Jelen and Jason Williamson. Not sure on the other one in sunglasses

If you think the outbreaks on some football teams are worrisome, just wait till the students return to campus. I suspect that we’ll see some campuses closing long before Thanksgiving break. Do you honestly think they’re just going to isolate only the infected players. Teams will be quarantined. Games will be forfeited. The season will fall apart by Week 3, if it ever gets started.

It’s known. No credible scientist doubts that recovered have immunity for at least a few months. There haven’t been legitimate cases of reinfection. Earlier reported cases were attributed to false positives of inaccurate tests.
Well - there is this.

If you think the outbreaks on some football teams are worrisome, just wait till the students return to campus. I suspect that we’ll see some campuses closing long before Thanksgiving break. Do you honestly think they’re just going to isolate only the infected players. Teams will be quarantined. Games will be forfeited. The season will fall apart by Week 3, if it ever gets started.
You're just a beacon of sunshine. The U has stuff in place to be ready when students and student athletes get infected. I don't understand why colleges can't just make people sign a waiver to where the college cannot be held accountable if you get infected.

Well - there is this.
In my layperson’s opinion, this may simply be an unavoidable flaw in the testing method.

It only looks for virus genetic material in the sample. It doesn’t detect if there are active/live virus in the sample, and even if there were, that doesn’t necessarily prove that someone is shedding virus within aerosols and/or droplets from their mouth (fancy way of saying that they could infect someone else with their breath/spittle/coughs/sneezes).

The kinds of hard, factual answers and knowledge that we so desperately crave, I’m afraid are a bit beyond our current scientific abilities and technologies.

We have to make as optimal of decisions as we can with educated guesses. Life always comes down to probabilities (risks) and beliefs.

By that time, I’m hopeful we might be in or move towards a kind of thinking or mindset that says “just because lots of people test positive, doesn’t necessarily mean lots of people are going to be hospitalized or die.”

I can’t prove or make a logical argument why such a thing would be true far more often in the 2nd wave this fall than the first wave this spring. But it could still happen that way, anyway. There’s still far more we don’t know, than we know.

Do any of you know if the football players will be testest twice a week???

Once on Sunday or Monday and the Friday befor the game?

I think that I heard that the new fingertip blood test will tell you if your positive or negative in 3-5 minutes.

Last edited:

AGREE!

There's no possible, reasonable way that stadiums in any sport, in any league, can allow full capacity until after there is a vaccine.

Fauci still has optimism that if everything goes right, we could see the first vaccine doses by the end of this calendar year.

I caught a bit of an interview with Coyle this morning on CCO with Dave Lee.

Most of it came down to "our #1 concern is the health and safety of our student-athletes." didn't get into a lot of specifics.

Lee did ask if there had been any consideration of playing conference games only. Coyle said they really hadn't gotten that far in their discussions.

Sounds like they are taking a one-step-at-a-time approach. 1st, get the players back on campus. then, start having workouts. then, practices. and go from there.

The one thing that got me - during the interview, Coyle started referring to himself in the third person.
something like, "Well, if you're asking what Mark Coyle thinks, then I can tell you that Mark Coyle...." or something like that.

I can’t prove or make a logical argument why such a thing would be true far more often in the 2nd wave this fall than the first wave this spring. But it could still happen that way, anyway. There’s still far more we don’t know, than we know.

A 2nd wave would have to imply the 1st wave ended. Feels like this wave will just keep on keeping on until there is a vaccine.

I caught a bit of an interview with Coyle this morning on CCO with Dave Lee.

Most of it came down to "our #1 concern is the health and safety of our student-athletes." didn't get into a lot of specifics.

Lee did ask if there had been any consideration of playing conference games only. Coyle said they really hadn't gotten that far in their discussions.

Sounds like they are taking a one-step-at-a-time approach. 1st, get the players back on campus. then, start having workouts. then, practices. and go from there.

The one thing that got me - during the interview, Coyle started referring to himself in the third person.
something like, "Well, if you're asking what Mark Coyle thinks, then I can tell you that Mark Coyle...." or something like that.
Jimmy doesn't know anything yet!

Risk on the individual level is very different than risk on the systems level.

Would you say the Dutch are feminized for determining the proper height of dikes based on a height that will likely prevent a massive catastrophe?

I really like this question, thanks for asking. The Dutch measured the tides and historic sea levels and built their Dikes accordingly. That was masculine engineering and planning.

The lock-downs were based on projections indicating millions of deaths, clearly wrong, clearly massively wrong.

The whole country should have followed Sweden and South Dakota.

The massive risk is to wait for an unproven vaccine. There may never be one. Herd immunity combined with improved therapies is the only way to go, and yes people will die, but the lock-downs have already killed and destroyed more than this virus every will.

It’s purely a hypothetical ... but it could well come down to something like 300k deaths by the end of this calendar year, then then the rest saved by vaccine vs would have been 500k deaths with following Sweden model from the start.

To me, the measures taken and the damage done to the economy would still have been worth it.

I really like this question, thanks for asking. The Dutch measured the tides and historic sea levels and built their Dikes accordingly. That was masculine engineering and planning.
Can you clarify what you're using "masculine" as shorthand for, here?

Apparently, the administration is going to announce the number of positive tests on the team next week. Obviously, we have some players and perhaps coaches in quarantine right now.

Apparently, the administration is going to announce the number of positive tests on the team next week. Obviously, we have some players and perhaps coaches in quarantine right now.
Well, those players and coaches won’t miss any games this season.

Can you clarify what you're using "masculine" as shorthand for, here?

Sure, the symbolic masculine and feminine are archetypal realities built into humanity's pre-consciousness. The symbolic masculine is about order and discipline and the symbolic feminine is about potential and chaos. All human languages and myths are build on this substructure. Mother comes from the root matter (nature), which is the source of both incredible potential and chaos, Father is the colonizer of Mother. Remember that these are symbolic, all individuals of either sex embody aspects of both in some spectrum.

The lock-downs were based on projections indicating millions of deaths, clearly wrong, clearly massively wrong.

The whole country should have followed Sweden and South Dakota.

The massive risk is to wait for an unproven vaccine. There may never be one. Herd immunity combined with improved therapies is the only way to go, and yes people will die, but the lock-downs have already killed and destroyed more than this virus every will.
There are only two things I can't stand in this world: People who are intolerant of other people's cultures, and the Dutch.

Not that surprising. Most HBCUs run shoestring budgets even with fans. Most non-P5 teams don't get the TV money that will make their programs solvent.

I'm still bearish on football happening this fall, but it's far more likely to happen for P5 teams, "red-state teams", and especially ones who check both boxes.

Well, those players and coaches won’t miss any games this season.

Mathematically speaking, it's safer to send the players off for a "team bonding retreat" with a couple young doctors and a few infected players vs. doing actual football camp activities like hitting each other and doing calisthenics twice a day in the hot sun.

Not that surprising. Most HBCUs run shoestring budgets even with fans. Most non-P5 teams don't get the TV money that will make their programs solvent.

I'm still bearish on football happening this fall, but it's far more likely to happen for P5 teams, "red-state teams", and especially ones who check both boxes.
Again, I just don’t see why any team would even forfeit a game. You have your protocols in place. Player/coach gets infected, you quarantine them. They test negative, then rejoin the team. No different than an injury. If you have to play all backups for two weeks, so what?? You don’t cancel the whole team for that.

Everyone knows this going to be a weird year, that we’ll all take with a grain of salt when looking back on the stats and records. Is what it is.

Again, I just don’t see why any team would even forfeit a game. You have your protocols in place. Player/coach gets infected, you quarantine them. They test negative, then rejoin the team. No different than an injury. If you have to play all backups for two weeks, so what?? You don’t cancel the whole team for that.

Everyone knows this going to be a weird year, that we’ll all take with a grain of salt when looking back on the stats and records. Is what it is.

If I come in contact with someone who tests positive, I’m required to quarantine for 14 days, whether I test positive or not. Are you saying it shouldn’t be the same for football players?

I don’t think this is going to work.

There's a point at which it doesn't make sense to play though. I know college rosters are huge, but let's say your offensive line all gets it at the same time and you're down 4 healthy O-lineman. Should you still play? You're almost certainly going to lose and your risk getting your QB killed. You're almost certainly going to forfeit that week.

There's a point at which it doesn't make sense to play though. I know college rosters are huge, but let's say your offensive line all gets it at the same time and you're down 4 healthy O-lineman. Should you still play? You're almost certainly going to lose and your risk getting your QB killed. You're almost certainly going to forfeit that week.

I would expect the protocol to go something like this:
Player X tests positive. he has to sit out for 10 days or until he has two consecutive negative tests.
Any player that Player X came into contact with has to sit out until they have tested negative.

Meaning- it all comes down to frequency of testing and how soon they get results. if they can use the so-called rapid tests that give results the same day, then you could test all your linemen and if they test negative, they're OK to play that week.

I would guess that a few players will miss games. the real impact could be on practice. how do you hold an organized practice when you have a certain number of players sitting out because they tested positive, or they are waiting to see if their tests come back negative.

Maybe a whole new category on the injured list: players awaiting test results.

And the depth chart will be even more worthless than usual.

And - would a coach try to conceal a player's covid-19 status to keep the opponent from finding out?

You're correct in that example. Good case, to consider.

OK then, in those cases, it makes sense.

I guess I doubt that it will happen like that suddenly, but maybe it will. We will see

If I come in contact with someone who tests positive, I’m required to quarantine for 14 days, whether I test positive or not. Are you saying it shouldn’t be the same for football players?

"Come into contact" isn't relevant, when you're testing each player at each time.

They test positive, or they don't. If not, then they aren't subject to the quarantine protocol.

These athletes are going to be given tests like 2 or 3 times a week. So it is different for the athletes because they will be able to get tests basically whenever it's needed.

Top Bottom