All Things COVID-19 College Football Impact

GR- from my perusal the numbers say Sweden death rate per 100,000 is one of the highest and much higher then its Scandinavian neighbors. Furthermore their new cases and deaths are still accelerating and at last check their so called herd immunity hopes have been massively unsuccessful with only 7% of their populace having antibodies. Maybe u have different data ?

Where are you seeing deaths accelerating. They have been on a slow taper for a number of weeks.

It's truly baffling to me that people who presumably have had some degree of post-secondary education, can earnestly make claims like, "100,000 people died of flu one year in the past and 100,000 people have died of COVID-19 this year, so they are equally dangerous."

Partisanship is a hell of a drug.

We don’t know the extent to which the virus will penetrate the population. Anybody that says otherwise is lying. Your data should also be population-adjusted. Agreed this is not the seasonal flu.

The most basic problem that has not been resolved is the too high rate of false negatives in the tests and the certain fact that about 10-20% of the population may be asymptomatic carriers that can spread the virus.

At my age, in a field i know very little about i choose to follow the advice of my doctor friends who have a consensus to socially distant but to golf and fish as often as possible. In a professional setting, like a conference setting to socially distance. I also choose to never watch CNN or Fox as a view both not as journalism but as opinionated political arms. I did not vote Trump and would not but i do not think that everyone that voted for him is a uneducated racist. I have dear friends who support him because they like his stance on issues that most interest them. These are mostly minorities , highly educated , pro life and bitter to the left for coddling lazy people. I have never been conservative but i will not have loving relationships torn about by politics. I will be back at games as the guidelines allow.

There is more information out there....the issue is that there is a lot of agendas when we start dealing with high level events such as this pandemic. The reality is that this will be no more deadly than each flu season already is. So we need to ask the question why does it get so much press and urgency when our common flu seasons do not? ( this is a very general and small statement I know, but the point is to ask questions and do not just sit there and let others think for you)

Here is a good watch is anyone has an open mind and is willing to hear more than the mainstream, potentially polluted media that we are spoon fed like a bunch of mice.

Looks like Veritas has returned

Is it crazy to say " hey everyone gets to make their own education decision about where and what they do?" Do we think that our population could not handle that? If you want to stay in your air conditioned house forever and wreck your immune system while you are at it great do it. If you want to get out and do stuff and go to games and take a hike in nature, great do it. Is it that difficult?

ESPN: Two Texas players test positive for coronavirus as voluntary football workouts near for Longhorns

Two Texas football players have tested positive for the coronavirus this week and a third tested positive for the COVID-19 antibodies, the university said Wednesday night.

Texas brought in 58 players this week to the campus that is otherwise closed to students. One of them presented symptoms during pre-screening and was tested before arriving. The other two were tested during the on-campus screening process.

Go Gophers!!

Houston suspends all voluntary workouts after six athletes test positive for COVID-19

Houston has suspended all voluntary workouts after six symptomatic student-athletes tested positive for COVID-19. The announcement came Friday afternoon, less than two weeks after the university allowed athletes to return to campus on June 1. According to a release from the school, impacted students have been placed in isolation and contact-tracing procedures have been initiated.

The decision also comes amid a second wave in Texas with Houston emerging as a COVID-19 hotspot since Memorial Day. The NCAA allowed a moratorium on voluntary offseason workouts to expire on May 31, paving the way for athletes to return to campus beginning June 1. While multiple programs across the country have had athletes test positive for COVID-19, this marks the first time a FBS school has suspended workouts because of it.

Go Gophers!!

^^^ too bad for Texas. That's usually what happens in most situations, with any kind of laissez-faire approach.

The most basic problem that has not been resolved is the too high rate of false negatives in the tests and the certain fact that about 10-20% of the population may be asymptomatic carriers that can spread the virus.
The U can use it's own proprietary testing methods and facilities. I agree that the commercially available "fast tests" might not be good, but if you can get higher-quality lab processes results at least daily, on campus, then that might be good enough.

That's serology (testing for an active infection).

For antibody testing, there are highly accurate tests made right in Minnesota, by a company called Premier Biotech. Those were the tests used in the widely reported Stanford and LA County tests, and they verified the high accuracy on their own.

Based on the info that has been made public, in addition to the likelihood that they will be quarantined, the players are likely safer resuming practices than if they were to remain back home and hang out with their friends and family. There will need to be a standardized policy among all FBS and FCS teams, IMO.

The U can use it's own proprietary testing methods and facilities. I agree that the commercially available "fast tests" might not be good, but if you can get higher-quality lab processes results at least daily, on campus, then that might be good enough.

That's serology (testing for an active infection).

For antibody testing, there are highly accurate tests made right in Minnesota, by a company called Premier Biotech. Those were the tests used in the widely reported Stanford and LA County tests, and they verified the high accuracy on their own.

serology is simply any lab test performed on serum. Testing for an active infection in the Covid testing is NOT serology, it’s using PCR (polymerase chain reaction)to amplify any present viral genome.

testing for antibodies will not be effective for diagnosing an acute illness, even if it’s a perfect one (which the commercially available ones to date have not been) as you don’t mount an antibody response immediately. Further, you have to test for the correct type of antibody-IgM (early response) vs IgG (long term response).

O
As far as Football is concerned - yes, players are in a lower-risk age group.

but, what about coaches, trainers, support staff, administrators, officials, etc who come into contact with the players?

I have seen people legitimately suggest that some older coaches, etc may not be allowed to interact with players until there is a vaccine or treatment.

as someone noted, there is still a lot we don't know. heard Barriero interviewing a Dr. from the Mayo Clinic (a fairly well-regarded medical facility). About a third to a half of his answers were some form of "I don't know" or "we don't know." If the bleepin' Mayo Clinic doesn't know, then Internet Message Board Guy doesn't know, either.
Its football. It’s not for the risk averse. If you want a 100% safety guarantee, gaming from your basement might be the sport for you. At some point, you put your procedures in place and your best foot forward. If you are risk averse, just fold your tents. Your 100% guarantee didn’t exist before Covid.

No college football in 2020. Texas, Houston, and now Iowa State have positive cases in their programs. With the opening up of our communities and states, it’s only going to become more problematic. No amount of testing or screening is going to help college football .. the general population YES .. college football NO. One game with players testing positive within a week after the game .. season over.

Surely, the school and NCAA leadership is privy to this information. Right?

serology is simply any lab test performed on serum. Testing for an active infection in the Covid testing is NOT serology, it’s using PCR (polymerase chain reaction)to amplify any present viral genome.

testing for antibodies will not be effective for diagnosing an acute illness, even if it’s a perfect one (which the commercially available ones to date have not been) as you don’t mount an antibody response immediately. Further, you have to test for the correct type of antibody-IgM (early response) vs IgG (long term response).
Thanks for correcting my mistake, I should've said PCR not serology.

UMN athletics will be using both in their protocol for bringing athletes back on campus: https://gophersports.com/news/2020/6/12/athletics-gophers-begin-return-to-campus.aspx

The testing of student-athletes for COVID-19 is strongly recommended by the Big Ten. Minnesota student-athletes will complete a symptom and exposure questionnaire in the days prior to being tested for COVID-19. Minnesota's procedure involves multiple tests that include both PCR and serology. It also calls for daily screening measures, like temperature and symptom checks.

No college football in 2020. Texas, Houston, and now Iowa State have positive cases in their programs. With the opening up of our communities and states, it’s only going to become more problematic. No amount of testing or screening is going to help college football .. the general population YES .. college football NO. One game with players testing positive within a week after the game .. season over.
We still have 80 days... No football because someone tested positive and it could be a false positive? Should we cancel football if they get the flu next year too? We didn't last year or the years before that!

Surely, the school and NCAA leadership is privy to this information. Right?

This data means attending school under normal circumstances is more dangerous than COVID. I don't have data from the U, but I would imagine that of an undergrad student body of around 35K, similar to this study, at least a couple students die each year of whatever. Drinking, illness (meningitis would get someone every year), accidents, etc.

Yes you were first with the video. Some how I missed it but if it makes you fell better Gophers- 1, GSU -0. ?

Last edited:

When did 100,000 thousand people die in the US because of a flu virus? WAs it before or after flu vaccines came out. Where those people that died inoculated and what was their range of ages!

When did 100,000 thousand people die in the US because of a flu virus? WAs it before or after flu vaccines came out. Where those people that died inoculated and what was their range of ages!
Obviously less people die from the flu(although more people die from the flu each year than I would have guessed). But for people 50 and under the effects of covid tend to be similar to the flu. And for students and young adults the effects are even weaker with many showing no symptoms.

We aren't sending 90 year olds out to the field to play football we're sending healthy 18-23 year olds. The injuries they sustain on the field will be worse than the effects that covid would have on them.

Obviously less people die from the flu(although more people die from the flu each year than I would have guessed). But for people 50 and under the effects of covid tend to be similar to the flu. And for students and young adults the effects are even weaker with many showing no symptoms.

We aren't sending 90 year olds out to the field to play football we're sending healthy 18-23 year olds. The injuries they sustain on the field will be worse than the effects that covid would have on them.

The biggest trouble with the Flue vaccines is it is made up for the top 3 Flue viruses that the CDC thinks will make it from Asia to the US. About 3 years back the CDC guessed wrong on the 3 flues to make it to the US. While my wife got the 3 virus vaccination I had the 4 types of flue vaccination. She got the flue and I didn't.

Report: 23 Clemson Football Players Test Positive for COVID-19

Clemson athletics announced Friday that thus far in the month of June, 28 individuals have tested positive for COVID-19 out of 315 completed tests. According to The Athletic's Grace Raynor, 23 of those positive tests stem from football players.

The university said in a statement that it has notified and isolated each of the individuals who have tested positive for at least 10 days.

Those known to have close contact with them have also been asked to quarantine for at least 14 days. The athletic department said most of the total cases have been asymptomatic.

Go Gophers!!

Not encouraging this in the slightest, but I simply wonder if it may (quietly) come to be true: everyone on the team purposefully gets themselves infected now or very soon.

Idea being, young people are thought to almost be guaranteed an asymptomatic experience, and then they'd very likely be ensured to have immunity at least through the season (probably longer).

Not encouraging this in the slightest, but I simply wonder if it may (quietly) come to be true: everyone on the team purposefully gets themselves infected now or very soon.

Idea being, young people are thought to almost be guaranteed an asymptomatic experience, and then they'd very likely be ensured to have immunity at least through the season (probably longer).
I was thinking the same, or at least report that. What is the answer if your whole O-Line gets infected during the season? 2 weeks without your starting offensive line? They gotta find a way to maintain a level playing field.

I can't imagine they'd all purposefully infect themselves though. Seems out there. Though it does seem that's for the best interest of the team.

Top Bottom