All Things COVID-19 College Football Impact

What's the media trying to say? This is a bad thing? Have they ever played then they had the cold?

Hey, Oregon Gopher, Sweden hasn't destroyed their economy, and the actual mortality numbers are mild by historical standards....
View attachment 8283
GR- from my perusal the numbers say Sweden death rate per 100,000 is one of the highest and much higher then its Scandinavian neighbors. Furthermore their new cases and deaths are still accelerating and at last check their so called herd immunity hopes have been massively unsuccessful with only 7% of their populace having antibodies. Maybe u have different data ?

Well there’s no excuse for stupid and selfish. Maybe you should come to the hospital I work at and watch people struggling to stay alive in the ICU (and they aren’t all people over 65) and health care workers get sick even after gowing up, wearing masks and face shields. Some have actually died. It’s more than a seasonal chest cold for many people. But it’s a scam and hoax. I would say that YOU ARE the psychopathic neanderthal, but you’re a trump supporter so that explains it.

Curious, at what hospital do you work?

Well there’s no excuse for stupid and selfish. Maybe you should come to the hospital I work at and watch people struggling to stay alive in the ICU (and they aren’t all people over 65) and health care workers get sick even after gowing up, wearing masks and face shields. Some have actually died. It’s more than a seasonal chest cold for many people. But it’s a scam and hoax. I would say that YOU ARE the psychopathic neanderthal, but you’re a trump supporter so that explains it.

Whether or not we will have college sports this fall is going to take a lot of tough decisions by a bunch of leaders affecting the opening of colleges and college sports across a broad spectrum.

Not meaning to detract from the main topic, here is data that Rickman55 is talking about. It is also true that CoVid-19 mortalities are highest among the older population.

Here is the latest report by the MN Dept of Health. The two age groups with the highest confirmed CoVid-19 cases are 20-29 and 30-39.

MN Covid-19 Cases By Age.jpg

It is true that we see a higher mortality among the older population. It would not be surprising if the mortality rate for the flu among the elderly is also high.

MN Covid-19 Deaths By Age.jpg

Health care staff (1699) and congregate living staff (5956 - not broken down between staff and residents) are likely exposed due to their daily interactions.

You have to have empathy for those brave doctors and nurses who risk their life on the CoVid-19 frontline. Thousands of doctors and nurses have died worldwide. I don't know the stats for the death toll among health care workers in MN. I know that there have been reported deaths in the news.

Italy, New York, and Spain were prominent in the news in regards to doctors and nurses death toll.

If you care to read the official report for MN by the Dept. of Health as of 6/4/2020:

Last edited:

GR- from my perusal the numbers say Sweden death rate per 100,000 is one of the highest and much higher then its Scandinavian neighbors. Furthermore their new cases and deaths are still accelerating and at last check their so called herd immunity hopes have been massively unsuccessful with only 7% of their populace having antibodies. Maybe u have different data ?

Bottom line: COVID-19 is shaking up to be similar to the Hong Kong flu of 1968 where there were 100,00 deaths in the USA (comparable to 166,000 today) of mostly the aged and infirm. It's probably a milder disease than the Hong Kong flu because we are a much sicker population with exploding rates of obesity and diabetes, as well as maintaining millions into deep old age with miracle cardiac therapies. The lockdowns were based on wildly wrong and exaggerated projections. The idea that we can keep everyone safe in old age from a highly contagious acute respiratory infection has no scientific foundation, that we do it with an economic lockdown is insane.

We treated this pandemic like it was 1918, it ended up like 1968.

The lockdown created the unemployment that in retrospect made the riots inevitable, expect more this summer.

The massive overreaction to this pandemic will go down as when of the greatest government clusterf*cks in history.

Whether or not we will have college sports this fall is going to take a lot of tough decisions by a bunch of leaders affecting the opening of colleges and college sports across a broad spectrum.

Not meaning to detract from the main topic, here is data that Rickman55 is talking about. It is also true that CoVid-19 mortalities are highest among the older population.

Here is the latest report by the MN Dept of Health. The two age groups with the highest confirmed CoVid-19 cases are 20-29 and 30-39.

View attachment 8284

It is true that we see a higher mortality among the older population. It would not be surprising if the mortality rate for the flu among the elderly is also high.

View attachment 8285

Health care staff (1699) and congregate living staff (5956 - not broken down between staff and residents) are likely exposed due to their daily interactions.

You have to have empathy for those brave doctors and nurses who risk their life on the CoVid-19 frontline. Thousands of doctors and nurses have died worldwide. I don't know the stats for the death toll among health care workers in MN. I know that there have been reported deaths in the news.

Italy, New York, and Spain were prominent in the news in regards to doctors and nurses death toll.

If you care to read the official report for MN by the Dept. of Health as of 6/4/2020:

View attachment 8284

View attachment 8285

The mortality rates are the important data point. The vast majority of COVID cases are mild and easily weathered. Yes, many are extremely serious, certainly those with most exposure are going to reckon with a tiny percentage of mortality. Look at those death numbers, they are tiny. These means most people have adequate immunity to fend off the virus.

No healthy person should have an excessive fear of catching and weathering the COVID-19 virus. Every aged person with underlying health conditions should be under lockdown.

It's just like Patrick Henry said: "Give me safety or give me death!" THIS IS AMERICA and it's more important that no one catches a seasonal chest cold that is less deadly than the flu, than that football is ever played again.
I hope my sarcasm meter was not functioning this AM and your comment was made as a jest.

Reactions: MRJ

Bottom line: COVID-19 is shaking up to be similar to the Hong Kong flu of 1968 where there were 100,00 deaths in the USA (comparable to 166,000 today) of mostly the aged and infirm. It's probably a milder disease than the Hong Kong flu because we are a much sicker population with exploding rates of obesity and diabetes, as well as maintaining millions into deep old age with miracle cardiac therapies. The lockdowns were based on wildly wrong and exaggerated projections. The idea that we can keep everyone safe in old age from a highly contagious acute respiratory infection has no scientific foundation, that we do it with an economic lockdown is insane.

We treated this pandemic like it was 1918, it ended up like 1968.

The lockdown created the unemployment that in retrospect made the riots inevitable, expect more this summer.

The massive overreaction to this pandemic will go down as when of the greatest government clusterf*cks in history.
You are not serious are you?
The influenza outbreaks you mention did not overwhelm hospitals and cause a death toll of over 100,00 in two to three months.
But if you are a member of the Trump cult science and the truth will not convince you otherwise.
So blather on.

Look if there isn't a D-1 football season it could be the end of college sports. Division one football funds the athletic programs for all universities. Covid death stats this year line-up very well to pneumonia. The provisional death counts published by the CDC shake this out.

We can have massive protests in the streets with 1000s of people, with little regard for social distancing, without elected officials objecting, yet no college football. The hypocrisy needs to be called out. I recall some handwringing over the anti-lockdown protests that were a fraction of the size of what we’ve seen over the last few days. How many dead grandmas and grandpas will the protesters be ultimately responsible for? Honestly, I’m not expecting a huge spike in cases. There will be some, but we were told that with increased testing, contact tracing, and isolation, we’d be able to get on with our lives.

The influenza outbreaks you mention did not overwhelm hospitals and cause a death toll of over 100,00 in two to three months.
But if you are a member of the Trump cult science and the truth will not convince you otherwise.
So blather on.

It overwhelmed hospitals in NYC, but they were mostly empty almost everywhere else. I’m not even a Trump supporter, and I can see that.

The problem here is that we don't really definitively know much of anything regarding COVID-19, regardless of what website or supposed medical authority you're citing. The reason? This virus was literally discovered eight months ago. Compare that to other diseases you all are comparing it to. Pneumonia and Influenza have been known viruses (or bacteria) for how long? Centuries?

My sister works closely with COVID patients in the Twin Cities and she's been telling me that doctors largely feel they're working blind in a lot of these cases. So expect a lot of fluid data points and a lot of mistakes or false information. What they know is largely anecdotal through a lot of trial and error. That's scary as hell all things considered. And the asymptomatic transmission angle is especially worrisome. Add it all up and here's the truth: We just don't know.

From my perspective, the balance between public safety and getting back to normal is going to be extremely tricky due to this inherent uncertainty. So I suggest everybody get used to things being decidedly abnormal for awhile, whatever it ultimately looks like.

All I can add from there is the sooner we can develop a vaccine (assuming we even can), the better..

There is more information out there....the issue is that there is a lot of agendas when we start dealing with high level events such as this pandemic. The reality is that this will be no more deadly than each flu season already is. So we need to ask the question why does it get so much press and urgency when our common flu seasons do not? ( this is a very general and small statement I know, but the point is to ask questions and do not just sit there and let others think for you)

Here is a good watch is anyone has an open mind and is willing to hear more than the mainstream, potentially polluted media that we are spoon fed like a bunch of mice.

There is more information out there....the issue is that there is a lot of agendas when we start dealing with high level events such as this pandemic. The reality is that this will be no more deadly than each flu season already is. So we need to ask the question why does it get so much press and urgency when our common flu seasons do not? ( this is a very general and small statement I know, but the point is to ask questions and do not just sit there and let others think for you)

Here is a good watch is anyone has an open mind and is willing to hear more than the mainstream, potentially polluted media that we are spoon fed like a bunch of mice.

Oh, please. Like Bigtree doesn't have an agenda? He's an anti-vax loony. While I will grant that most people will handle Covid fine, it is worse than seasonal flu. Average annual deaths for seasonal flu are below 100,000 over about 6 months while we have over 100,000 deaths with Covid over just more than 2 months. In the end, my prediction is going to be 175,000 deaths by end of year.
I do believe we need to open up society, but with protections for elderly and those most at risk.
Just fyi, my youngest starts her ER residency July 1st so I do have skin in the game.

If that's the threshold, there won't be college football for years.
unsurprisingly, a late and timid response to controlling the coronavirus results in long-lasting viral problems. If NCAA football players have CV-19 come September, expect there to be no NCAA football until all players are free of it.

I expect that the policy will become all players will be tested prior to the games. If the available tests are those that take a week to obtain results, this will cause some obvious problems. We need greater availability of fast-result tests.

Oh, please. Like Bigtree doesn't have an agenda? He's an anti-vax loony. While I will grant that most people will handle Covid fine, it is worse than seasonal flu. Average annual deaths for seasonal flu are below 100,000 over about 6 months while we have over 100,000 deaths with Covid over just more than 2 months. In the end, my prediction is going to be 175,000 deaths by end of year.
I do believe we need to open up society, but with protections for elderly and those most at risk.
Just fyi, my youngest starts her ER residency July 1st so I do have skin in the game.

To go back to what I said in my post....there is more information out there. I certainly respect whatever stance you take on it. We also have skin in the game with two of our daughters being nurses and my mom is a nurse. I just want to stress that everyone needs to ask questions and not simply take our news media outlet as gospal. Another great example is Monsanto. For years the mainstream was telling us that putting pesticides into the earth and even manipulating our seeds with Monsanto products was not harmful. We can clearly see that our media was feeding us a lot of government backed false narratives. So while we become sicker by eating foods that are potentially harmful to the human body, there are plenty of people putting cash in their pockets and care nothing for the normal joe in the united states.

At least we can agree that Gopher Football is a bright spot in all of this. Can we just get Fleck to run for president?

We can all agree on one thing. We need to get Gopher Football back.

The hard part is how and when.

To go back to what I said in my post....there is more information out there. I certainly respect whatever stance you take on it. We also have skin in the game with two of our daughters being nurses and my mom is a nurse. I just want to stress that everyone needs to ask questions and not simply take our news media outlet as gospal. Another great example is Monsanto. For years the mainstream was telling us that putting pesticides into the earth and even manipulating our seeds with Monsanto products was not harmful. We can clearly see that our media was feeding us a lot of government backed false narratives. So while we become sicker by eating foods that are potentially harmful to the human body, there are plenty of people putting cash in their pockets and care nothing for the normal joe in the united states.

At least we can agree that Gopher Football is a bright spot in all of this. Can we just get Fleck to run for president?
Yo Alaska if you don't want to take news media as gospel why don't you look towards the actual science on these issues that you're talking about. And I'm talking scientific consensus not just picking a youtube video out and saying, "I did my research". Read reviews and meta-analyses.

It won't matter. They can infect staff, other players, and people with preexisting health condition.
Except for the fact that that is the case for every disease anyone has ever gotten.

I can give a cold to an old person.
I can give the flu to an old person.

george Floyd had Covid 19
Meaning anyone who had seen him the previous day’s was exposed. If anyone he had seen the previous days were at the protest...we have tens of thousands exposed in Minneapolis right now potentially.

It’s going to play itself out,
Maybe we will cancel everything in the fall.
Maybe we will cancel nothing in the fall.

Hey mods....maybe time to relocate this one to the all things covid 19 college football impact thread or probably the off topic board since it is quickly turning into the same old same old Covid arguement that will go on for the next 300 pages or so.....Just a thought :)

As far as Football is concerned - yes, players are in a lower-risk age group.

but, what about coaches, trainers, support staff, administrators, officials, etc who come into contact with the players?

I have seen people legitimately suggest that some older coaches, etc may not be allowed to interact with players until there is a vaccine or treatment.

as someone noted, there is still a lot we don't know. heard Barriero interviewing a Dr. from the Mayo Clinic (a fairly well-regarded medical facility). About a third to a half of his answers were some form of "I don't know" or "we don't know." If the bleepin' Mayo Clinic doesn't know, then Internet Message Board Guy doesn't know, either.

but, what about coaches, trainers, support staff, administrators, officials, etc who come into contact with the players?

I have seen people legitimately suggest that some older coaches, etc may not be allowed to interact with players until there is a vaccine or treatment.

as someone noted, there is still a lot we don't know. heard Barriero interviewing a Dr. from the Mayo Clinic (a fairly well-regarded medical facility). About a third to a half of his answers were some form of "I don't know" or "we don't know." If the bleepin' Mayo Clinic doesn't know, then Internet Message Board Guy doesn't know, either.
Truth, I touched on that here too about how we shouldn't be using the same optics as 2 months ago: https://www.forums.gopherhole.com/b...19-college-football-impact.96574/post-1984558

Mark my words on this one, and I'm willing to put down some money on it: If we see some surges where hospital systems get overwhelmed, there will not be college football in the fall. If we don't see those surges, we will get to watch our beloved Gophers.

What's going to dictate that? Flatten the curve is still alive and well. Is this disease as bad as some more liberal outlets would say? Not even close! Is this as harmless as some more conservative outlets would say? Just a flu? No way! The relatively same amount of people were always going to be infected (less some heard immunity effects gained by flattening the curve). The most important part of all this is making sure that doesn't happen all at once so that hospital systems don't get overwhelmed and further drive up mortality rates from covid and unrelated illnesses (cough, Italy, cough, Spain, cough, NYC, cough, NJ). Do your parts, be reasonable humans (not directed at you SON).

Good points, but they have to figure out a way. I’ll bet if you were put in charge of implementing changes to keep the coaching and support staff relatively safe, you could do it.

We can have massive protests in the streets with 1000s of people, with little regard for social distancing, without elected officials objecting, yet no college football. The hypocrisy needs to be called out. I recall some handwringing over the anti-lockdown protests that were a fraction of the size of what we’ve seen over the last few days. How many dead grandmas and grandpas will the protesters be ultimately responsible for? Honestly, I’m not expecting a huge spike in cases. There will be some, but we were told that with increased testing, contact tracing, and isolation, we’d be able to get on with our lives.
While I do think that we can't just forget Covid during the protests, I'd say these issues are at least slightly different. For one, the use of masks is vastly higher in the protests now then those for anti-lockdown so I'd expect it to spread to a lower percentage of the people participating in the protests now (though raw numbers will be what we watch for). I'd also say the age demographic seems to be lower, so following the logic of those on this board, more of the people getting sick will be young and have mild symptoms. I'd also argue that the subject matter of the protests now are more important but I really don't want to get into that on this board.

On a different subject, something I haven't really seen is how Nick Saban is handling all of this. He is definitely in the age bracket where the risks start to really increase. How is he modifying his day to day coaching?

So blather on.

Hey Plato, I do science, not politicized consensus.

Here is close to what college football players can expect (from the experience of French aircraft carrier), a tough bout of illness for 0.02% of college football players.

The experience of outbreaks on large ships such as aircraft carriers and cruise liners also show that some people do not become infected. The best estimates are that the virus probably can infect somewhere between 50 to 70 percent of people. For example, on one French aircraft carrier, 60 percent of sailors were infected (none died and only two out of 1,074 infected sailors required intensive care). https://www.navalnews.com/naval-new...ch-aircraft-carrier-98-of-the-crew-now-cured/

Officially cancel the entire season. Somebody got the Coronavirus. Did I do that right, or should we cancel two weeks at a time?

Nonsense. Let's start games tomorrow. These guys play every down. I think I did it right.

It's truly baffling to me that people who presumably have had some degree of post-secondary education, can earnestly make claims like, "100,000 people died of flu one year in the past and 100,000 people have died of COVID-19 this year, so they are equally dangerous."

Partisanship is a hell of a drug.

Top Bottom