All Things Class of 2025 Gophers Basketball Recruiting Thread

It won't be either or. If Ben can get 1-3 high schoolers, he's shown the ability to get high quality transfers to come here. And I don't think anyone can keep a guy for four years. If they do, major props. The only thing missing is a decent S.O.S 😅
In this era you need high schoolers that can start immediately. Minnesota won't get any of those kids. So, getting a commitment from a kid who had a whole bunch of mid-major teams to choose from isn't going to move the needle in moving the Gophers into contention.

In this era you need high schoolers that can start immediately. Minnesota won't get any of those kids. So, getting a commitment from a kid who had a whole bunch of mid-major teams to choose from isn't going to move the needle in moving the Gophers into contention.
I won’t base judgment on an offer list. We’ve all seen kids rated 3* or lower that can come in and contribute right away and in some cases start. Who knows, maybe he’s either criminally underrated or blows up this year.

Its hard to blame him for choosing Bama over us. They have done well in hoops lately. Said that he is likely looking at it from the hoops and maybe the NIL side rather than the education side. But like a lot of kids, they overlook that and focus on getting to the NBA rather than getting the best education.

According to GI, this was a very tough decision for him and many in the know thought he would be a Gopher.

Its hard to blame him for choosing Bama over us. They have done well in hoops lately. Said that he is likely looking at it from the hoops and maybe the NIL side rather than the education side. But like a lot of kids, they overlook that and focus on getting to the NBA rather than getting the best education.

According to GI, this was a very tough decision for him and many in the know thought he would be a Gopher.

Hopefully all the eggs weren’t in one basket

I won’t base judgment on an offer list. We’ve all seen kids rated 3* or lower that can come in and contribute right away and in some cases start. Who knows, maybe he’s either criminally underrated or blows up this year.
Happens all the time, but your odds are still better with 4 and 5 star recruits.

I didn't expect Allen to commit to Ben Johnson. I don't think you get guys who have options like Oats/Alabama when you're on the hot seat. Maybe the Dakota kid who just moved to Minnesota will be the exception. It was refreshing to see the other site (sort of) admit that this was Oats coming in later with an offer and just winning the recruiting battle instead of crying NIL.

Any recruiting loss in this cycle only matters if we make the tournament this year. Most kids decommit after a coaching change and the ones that don't are often the ones that don't have other attractive options.

Cam didn’t count?

Season has started yet, so do we know that Asuma won’t be the starter at some point?

I didn't expect Allen to commit to Ben Johnson. I don't think you get guys who have options like Oats/Alabama when you're on the hot seat. Maybe the Dakota kid who just moved to Minnesota will be the exception. It was refreshing to see the other site (sort of) admit that this was Oats coming in later with an offer and just winning the recruiting battle instead of crying NIL.

Any recruiting loss in this cycle only matters if we make the tournament this year. Most kids decommit after a coaching change and the ones that don't are often the ones that don't have other attractive options.
I agree in general with your post. I do wonder though, if the "hot seat" matters much anymore in the free agency world. Right now it feels to me like most players are thinking- get on the court and TV, get your playing time and build your stats and you can make big money. If Ben is gone next year, Shinholster could easily find a different team next fall and make some coin, to boot.

For a HS kid, we actually check a lot of boxes by being a Big Ten team that has PT for good frosh players- see Cam Christie, Pharrel Payne.

Cam didn’t count?

Season has started yet, so do we know that Asuma won’t be the starter at some point?
Who was recruiting Cam? Were they all mid-majors?
Who was recruiting Asuma? Was it all mid-majors?
The B1G is no longer a developmental league.

Top Bottom