All Things Class of 2015 Recruiting - Class Finally Complete? Nope Chris Obekpa visit

Seems like we are putting on the full court press for Gilbert. Another sign Ellison is gone.

Seems like we are putting on the full court press for Gilbert. Another sign Ellison is gone.

That makes sense that Gilbert likely a Plan B. If Ellison goes elsewhere, won't be surprised if Gilbert commits shortly after. The transfer from Texas A&M might be a possibility as well, but I doubt they'd want to tie up a second scholarship on another guy that has to sit a year.

Gilbert would be a nice piece. Ellison would be a REALLY nice piece. In my opinion.

That makes sense that Gilbert likely a Plan B. If Ellison goes elsewhere, won't be surprised if Gilbert commits shortly after. The transfer from Texas A&M might be a possibility as well, but I doubt they'd want to be tie up a second scholarship on another guy that has to sit a year.
There is a grad transfer wing that we have reached out to, but I havent heard if he has interest in us.

Dad wanted Rutgers (local school), son wanted Minnesota (younger coach with recognizable name). I think the compromise is SJU. McHale leaving doesn't help either. Hope I'm wrong. Hopefully the kid wants to play on a big stage instead of a medium stage.

Medium stage?

I think it was probably a shot at the conference, not at the venue.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Not sure who to believe?

I'll take Gilbert if he's plan B.... does Ellison shoot like this?

Yes, Ellison is supposedly a really good shooter...better than Gilbert from what I've gathered.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/JH5TYTp9Jzw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Yes, Ellison is supposedly a really good shooter...better than Gilbert from what I've gathered.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/JH5TYTp9Jzw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I see A LOT of Nate Mason in this kid. I just love how strong Mason appears with the ball, he's had his moments of weakness and getting beat up in the B1G 10 but he just has a great smooth pace to him. Malik appears (comparing what I saw from Mason tapes and now Malik's tape) to have a similar demeanor to him with a bit more flash.

I cant help but get excited by a back court that has Dorsey and Johnson running the point at a frenetic pace and having Mason/Malik/McBrayer playing the calm composed strength at the 2 guard spot.

#yourbad

So we can estimate this

Plan A PF - Boucher
Plan B PF - Russo

Plan A Wing - Ellison
Plan B Wing - Gilbert

Yep.

Best case, both A's, is awesome. Worst case, both B's, isn't too shabby either.

Agree with the Malik and Mason similarities too.

Yep.

Best case, both A's, is awesome. Worst case, both B's, isn't too shabby either.

Agree with the Malik and Mason similarities too.
Works for me... if somehow KJ Walton becomes eligible down the line (grade issues), I'll wish we could have somehow grabbed him too. Oh well... time to move forward. Any chance Lofton is willing to walk on? Doubt it but... maybe.

STrib: A Q&A with Minnesota JUCO target Cullen Russo's coach

Does the fact that Minnesota is his home state and the Gophers are his home state team play into his decision at all?
I think it does, obviously because he's very familiar with the lay of the land. It's not one of those deals where 'Hey, I need to go home' like some kids are, but I don't think it hurts either. Growing up in that environment, he's pretty familiar with what the expectations are for Minnesota basketball. Obviously, it's a different team that the one he grew up watching, but obviously he understands what Minnesota has to offer.

Have you mostly played him at small forward or power forward this past year?
He's 6-8, 6-9, he could play either one to be honest with you -- he played the three and four [spots] in high school. For us, the four plays on the perimeter for the most part and offensively you can create so many mismatches at that position. If you have a bigger floor guy at that position, he can take him on the perimeter and drive by him or shoot the three. If you have a smaller guy, he can post him up, because he's 220 pounds, he's not like skinny.

Do you see him fitting into Richard Pitino ball from what you're seen?
He's 6-8, 6-9, he can run and jump, he's got good length. He moves well. So if he's in a situation where you're pressing, he'd be great in that. If they're switching ball screens and playing zone, he's great in that. Picking and popping, coming off ball screens, he can do that as well. He's really versatile, so he could play in a lot of situations, but in order to go up and down and use his athleticism and his length and his ability to move at the three and the four, I think that [style] would fit him pretty good with the way they play.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/300945451.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Go Gophers!!

STrib: A Q&A with Minnesota JUCO target Cullen Russo's coach

Does the fact that Minnesota is his home state and the Gophers are his home state team play into his decision at all?
I think it does, obviously because he's very familiar with the lay of the land. It's not one of those deals where 'Hey, I need to go home' like some kids are, but I don't think it hurts either. Growing up in that environment, he's pretty familiar with what the expectations are for Minnesota basketball. Obviously, it's a different team that the one he grew up watching, but obviously he understands what Minnesota has to offer.

Have you mostly played him at small forward or power forward this past year?
He's 6-8, 6-9, he could play either one to be honest with you -- he played the three and four [spots] in high school. For us, the four plays on the perimeter for the most part and offensively you can create so many mismatches at that position. If you have a bigger floor guy at that position, he can take him on the perimeter and drive by him or shoot the three. If you have a smaller guy, he can post him up, because he's 220 pounds, he's not like skinny.

Do you see him fitting into Richard Pitino ball from what you're seen?
He's 6-8, 6-9, he can run and jump, he's got good length. He moves well. So if he's in a situation where you're pressing, he'd be great in that. If they're switching ball screens and playing zone, he's great in that. Picking and popping, coming off ball screens, he can do that as well. He's really versatile, so he could play in a lot of situations, but in order to go up and down and use his athleticism and his length and his ability to move at the three and the four, I think that [style] would fit him pretty good with the way they play.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/300945451.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Go Gophers!!

I like Russo, think he would be a solid get.

Top Bottom