All Things Class of 2015 Recruiting - Class Finally Complete? Nope Chris Obekpa visit

I love the kids athleticism, but he's not that great of a jump shooter

He has potential to develop into a high-volume scorer though! He has these games where he can step out and take over his team's scoring, but I just wish he could channel this more consistently. I really hope the gophers land him.

STrib: Gophers 2015 target Jarred Reuter is catching another wind

"I think this past weekend was his re-coming out party," Millette said. "Everyone sort of knew who he was but he fell off everyone's board, and now he's back."

Besides playing on a bigger stage, Millette said Reuter has stepped up his game substantially in the last year. Six a.m. workouts helped to shed all the extra mass he'd been carrying around. The opportunity to bang around in the paint with other talented big men only bolstered Reuter's natural aggressiveness.

"He sort of has the lost art," Millette said. "Bigs these days, they all want to step out and shoot threes. And he's not like that. He's just a bull in a china shop. He gets every rebound and fires it back up ... He's sort of the old school. It doesn't really exist anymore, and that's almost more intriguing to coaches -- a guy that can score with his back to the basket in the post and rebound the basketball."

Minnesota, along with others, have certainly taken notice.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/257806711.html

Go Gophers!!

Sorry if this has been mentioned before, but is Johnny Woodard, the former Duluth East player class of 2015 as well? If so are the Gophers recruiting him?

Do you guys feel like he is good enough to play in the Bigten?

He has potential to develop into a high-volume scorer though! He has these games where he can step out and take over his team's scoring, but I just wish he could channel this more consistently. I really hope the gophers land him.

His play reminds me of Djuan Piper, also think if holds out until spring, he'll have a lot of good programs after him like piper did with teams looking to fill out their roster after missing out on their original targets

His play reminds me of Djuan Piper, also think if holds out until spring, he'll have a lot of good programs after him like piper did with teams looking to fill out their roster after missing out on their original targets

I think Sacar is a notch or two better than Piper, and has better scoring abilities, but maybe that's just me.

Joey King and zach lofton don't count?

You're a terrible poster

I don't agree with all of his points, but for the purposes of this discussion Joey King and Zach Lofton absolutely don't count. Most posters either strongly want (or believe it's a need) for the Gophers to land a significant percentage of the top Minnesota kids. That means the kids who have a bunch of high major offers and show up on the ESPN top 100 and/or Rivals 150 lists.

IMO King and Lofton do count.We have had a very tepid program for years and Pitino is in the process of creating a relevant program,one that young players dream of playing at someday( like our hockey program).My belief is we are still a few years from that happening,but we can still pick up players like Illikainen,I hope.I also believe we have the right coach to get us there and I trust he has an eye for talent and will land the best players for his system that he can get ,whether from Minnesota or not.Love what he has done so far with recruits.I just remember last year when we needed a rebound at critical times and were sorely outmanned under the basket.This year the shoe is on the other foot!

I don't agree with all of his points, but for the purposes of this discussion Joey King and Zach Lofton absolutely don't count. Most posters either strongly want (or believe it's a need) for the Gophers to land a significant percentage of the top Minnesota kids. That means the kids who have a bunch of high major offers and show up on the ESPN top 100 and/or Rivals 150 lists.

That is not at all what he said though. He claimed Norwood had been at the helm for 0% of Minnesota kids coming to the U and compared it to his predecessor landing a high percentage of the kids that were offered.

Not only is it a terrible argument that the AD has ANYTHING to do with recruiting in state talent, but it was flat out wrong. Norwood has been at the helm while the basketball program has recruited 2 in state kids that the prior regime, to which the OP held in such high regard, did not offer/land.

So I respect your statement, and feel it is a valid view of how GHrs feel about in state talent, but you're flat wrong about your interpretation of The Brain Trusts post.

And he's a terrible poster.

Ryan James is mentioning alot of players on Howard Pulley who did well and who impressed him. Illikainen, Anim, Coffey, Bertram, Rosga, and Broman specifically. The concerning thing is, no mention of Jarvis, and I'm pretty sure he was suited up and playing this weekend. If he really isn't making any impact right now, that's a problem.

Ryan James is mentioning alot of players on Howard Pulley who did well and who impressed him. Illikainen, Anim, Coffey, Bertram, Rosga, and Broman specifically. The concerning thing is, no mention of Jarvis, and I'm pretty sure he was suited up and playing this weekend. If he really isn't making any impact right now, that's a problem.

Well his recent play just got him a Michigan State offer. I'm sure he's doing fine.

Well his recent play just got him a Michigan State offer. I'm sure he's doing fine.

I hope it was just a really uncharacteristic down weekend for Jarvis! Weird hearing almost everyone praised by RJ except Jarvis and a few others.

I saw a tweet too yesterday that said he wasn't starting in one of the games also

If anyone is interested, EYBL session 4 is being held at High Performance Academy in Eagan over Memorial Weekend. Teams like Howard Pulley and Boo Williams will be playing. Along with a lot of 2017-2015 guys we have offered and other top players in the nation. I'm hoping to make it there.

Recruiting the in-state kids can be a double-edged sword. If you don't recruit the in-state kids, you get criticized. But, if you land an in-state kid, and he doesn't pan out, or has off-the court issues, then you get hit with "you should have gone after player X instead."

At the risk of getting flamed, it's my opinion that a lot of (but not all) MN fans tend to over-rate the in-state kids. we see player Y throw up 35 points against some local team, and we expect him to do the same in the B1G- despite the big jump in level of competition.

I want the Gophs to recruit the best possible players - and if that means fewer in-state kids on the roster, so be it. Winning cures all ills. If the Gophs don't sign the big in-state hot-shot, yes there will be grumbling. But, a 25+ win season and an NCAA tournament run will erase the grumbling in a heartbeat.

I was able to see the top Pulley team play twice this weekend (Friday night and the last game on Saturday). I've seen Jarvis a number of times, and the Friday game was probably the worst I have seen him play. I counted 1-10 from the floor with only a couple assists and a few rebounds against a completely over-matched team. He still had a few flashes, especially when he was able to get out in transition, as he is an excellent athlete who can really get to the bucket. However, there were only a few instances of that. I thought he was generally very passive and casual all night, which may have been due to the level of competition. He also showed some poor body language, in that he did some pouting on the bench after getting pulled early in the second half after a turnover. I still believe he is a very talented prospect, but I am of the opinion that he will not be an immediate impact guy at the next level. He was better in the game on Saturday, but it was a ridiculous blowout against a completely over-matched team, and he only played about 10 minutes.

STrib: Point guard Jimmy Whitt among Minnesota targets for 2015

Rivals.com' Eric Bossi, who watched Whitt at the Jayhawk Invitational last weekend, wrote that he "outplayed" his national ranking, noting that while there are bigger and more athletic guards, "very few in the class of 2015 have as developed or advanced off-the-dribble scoring and mid-range game as Whitt."

"He's definitely the complete package," Johnson said. "There isn't anything on the court that he can't do as far as offensively, and he's a lock-down defender. He's got great athleticism. He can shoot the ball extremely well, he can handle it and he's got a very high IQ for the game of basketball."

Dave Johnson, Whitt's coach at Hickman High School has plenty of Minnesota ties personally, playing JUCO ball at Fergus Falls and coaching at Brainerd Community College. He's long followed Minnesota basketball and called new coach Richard Pitino attractive for recruits and a "shot in the arm" for the program.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/257692821.html

Go Gophers!!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/8NqYnc4HjKE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I really hope the Gophers have a good shot with Whitt. Pretty impressive that they can make a four minute legit highlight tape from the one tournament. I can see where the quote from above that he "outplayed" his national ranking came from. Reminds me of Jordan Crawford.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/8NqYnc4HjKE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I really hope the Gophers have a good shot with Whitt. Pretty impressive that they can make a four minute legit highlight tape from the one tournament. I can see where the quote from above that he "outplayed" his national ranking came from. Reminds me of Jordan Crawford.

First dunk he absolutely explodes to put down the two hander. I said he reminded me of Jamal Crawford earlier, so we are close ;)

Favorite part of his highlight reel, is that there are more than dunks in it. Love his midrange game, same way I loved Andre's midrange game his sophomore year.

First dunk he absolutely explodes to put down the two hander. I said he reminded me of Jamal Crawford earlier, so we are close ;)

Favorite part of his highlight reel, is that there are more than dunks in it. Love his midrange game, same way I loved Andre's midrange game his sophomore year.

If you like mid-range games you are going to like Nate Mason.

If mason can come in and give the gophers 20 minutes of playing time and put up 8 points a game, we will be really pleased. If Mason and Squirrel can both do that, we will be very good.

1. Trier
2. Whitt
3. Johsnon

Probably my preferred PG recruits for 2015.

Top Bottom