All Things Christian Wiggins Recruitment Thread (Wayzata Guard, 2026)

A roster full of potential only goes so far. Ben's year 2 team had a lot of "potential" but they were a disaster on the court. Now that they have expanded the scholarship number, that could allow for better balance between prep recruits and transfers. If we are going after preps to win, they need to be top 100, and if not we are going to need them to stick around at least 3 years. Ben has only gotten 1 guy in the top 100 and he left after his freshman year. Everyone else outside the top 100 has left before 3 years or has not made a legitimate impact on the floor. Transfers have been the most impactful for Ben in his tenure.
Funny how you don't mention last year.

When our team greatly improved...and had valuable players that all left for money.

PJ is an excellent coach.

But there usually aren't any 4-star in-state football recruits. And PJ rarely lands any 4-stars. And we're never going to be a contender in football either.

There are 12 4-stars on the roster right now. 4 are from MN, 1 from ND, and 1 from WI. Currently they have 2 more committed for next year with one of those being from MN.

And what's a new basketball coach going to do?? Get better players than Payne, Hawkins, Christie, & García?

Yes.

Last edited:

There are 12 4-stars on the roster right now. 4 are from MN, 1 from ND, and 1 from WI. Currently they have 2 more committed for next year with one of those being from MN.

Yes.
I'm talking about real 4-stars. Not the newer expanded feel-good football list. I go by the famous recruiting site I've been following since 2000. According to them, we might have 1 or 2 on the roster.

And if a new basketball coach recruits better players than Payne, Hawkins, and Christie like you say....then we're REALLY in trouble. Because when we lose all of them after 1 year, nobody else on the team would have gotten any playing time.

I'm talking about real 4-stars. Not the newer expanded feel-good football list. I go by the famous recruiting site I've been following since 2000. According to them, we might have 1 or 2 on the roster.
Prove it with a link and data then.

And if a new basketball coach recruits better players than Payne, Hawkins, and Christie like you say....then we're REALLY in trouble. Because when we lose all of them after 1 year, nobody else on the team would have gotten any playing time.

Wrong. Players stick around for a good coach and a good program.

Mid level B1G teams, which the Gophers can and should be, don’t lose all of their good players every year.

Some will leave every year, but plenty of good players stick around at solid programs.
I'm afraid until Mn hires a real AD and leadership truly supports bb, nothing will change. I've watched this rerun far too long. $$ talks these days.

I'm afraid until Mn hires a real AD and leadership truly supports bb, nothing will change. I've watched this rerun far too long. $$ talks these days.

Coyle is the most real AD MN has had in a long time. Football isn't having the same issues bball is and it's significantly easier to build a competitive bball program.

They have enough money to be competitive today, and when a real coach makes them competitive again, they will have more money to be successful.

Payne & Hawkins would both look great in Gopher uniforms this year. But we're officially a feeder program now. I don't see how @GopherPlaya and others missed what happened this off-season. It's only entertainment...so willful delusion is fine if you choose to maintain hope. But I advise against investing any emotion into the games and won/loss results.

Plus Christie. It's a total waste of time. Plus Amari Allen...Ben wasted a lot of time on him...Allen was rumored to like Minnesota the most...but then Alabama offers the big cash at the last minute.

Crazy that Arizona, Duke, Miami, Texas, Alabama, Illinois, Syracuse, Auburn, San Diego State etc... are feeder programs.

Coyle is the most real AD MN has had in a long time. Football isn't having the same issues bball is and it's significantly easier to build a competitive bball program.

They have enough money to be competitive today, and when a real coach makes them competitive again, they will have more money to be successful.
He may be. Just not good enough. Look at his inaction during the NIL beginnings. That's poor leadership.

Been told right here on numerous occasions MN does not have the $$ to compete. Do you have hard data, or what is your basis? Why did Hawkins bail if not $$? Playing time was not going to be an issue.......

Is this thread about Wayzata Junior guard Christian Wiggins? As far as I know, Gophers have not offered. Are they not interested?

Maybe Wiggins told the staff “thanks but no thanks” so why bother.

I have zero idea what is actually going on.

Maybe Wiggins told the staff “thanks but no thanks” so why bother.

I have zero idea what is actually going on.
I have no idea what's going on either but there is almost nothing that annoys me more than the players who have absolutely zero interest in going to the U who complain about not being recruited harder by the U. Some of these MN kids want to be treated like the big fish in the small pond even when they have no interest being in the pond (which is quickly turning into a koi pond).

If these guys have no interest in coming to the U, I hope Ben or whoever coaches the U just moves on.

Top Bottom