All Things Chet Holmgren Recruitment Thread (Class of 2021, Gophers Have Offered)

We live in a COVID world. Anything is possible.

Gophers have done their part in recruiting plenty of other bigs. He can play for the Gophers or any school he wants and still be a one and done lottery pick. Dad being a Gopher can’t hurt.

Hope Chet chooses a school with a great strength coach so we can watch him power dunk on LeBron in 2 years.

I'd even go: what has Gopher basketball done (consistently) under Pitino, to deserve Chet's (and his father's) serious consideration?

For most blue-chippers, being the flagship of the state you grew up in, is not going to cut it.
Entitlement is a disease

Entitlement is a disease
We're all diehard gophers fans which is why we spend time posting on a message board. If any of us were athletic enough to play D1 sports it probably wouldn't even be a decision on where we would play (at least for me).

However, most of these kids probably grew up not caring about the gophers. There is no reason they need to play for a team 20 minutes away from where they grew up.

I sure wish they would though.

per Shooter:

Rather than play in college next year, Minnehaha Academy’s 7-foot-1 Chet Holmgren could receive a chance to play in the NBA G League. Deals for some elite high school players foregoing college for the G League are said to be as much as $500,000 a season.

Otherwise, it still looks like it’ll be Gonzaga for Holmgren to join former Minnehaha Academy teammate Jalen Suggs, who’ll start for the No. 3 preseason Zags as a freshman.

Go Gophers!!

Gonzaga would be a good fit for his game. They also win a heck of a lot more than us and put a lot more guys in the pros than us. And they feature/develop their bigs to the point that they lost their leading scorer from a year ago early (not to the NBA even) and the guy who backed him up is probably going to be the POY in the league.

Gonzaga would be a good fit for his game. They also win a heck of a lot more than us and put a lot more guys in the pros than us. And they feature/develop their bigs to the point that they lost their leading scorer from a year ago early (not to the NBA even) and the guy who backed him up is probably going to be the POY in the league.
We'd win plenty of games in the WCC playing against Pepperdine, Santa Clara, San Francisco and LMU twice a year. Not to mention the typical atmosphere for WCC road games is similar to B1G road games during the pandemic.

I could round up some of the guys at my local YMCA and come out with a winning record in the WCC.

We'd win plenty of games in the WCC playing against Pepperdine, Santa Clara, San Francisco and LMU twice a year. Not to mention the typical atmosphere for WCC road games is similar to B1G road games during the pandemic.

I could round up some of the guys at my local YMCA and come out with a winning record in the WCC.
Are you saying we would be Gonzaga level success merely by being in their conference ! We would still need Mark Few and his highly respected staff. Your guys from the YMCA would lose by 80 or more against any WCC team. Recruits seem to love Gonzaga.

Are you saying we would be Gonzaga level success merely by being in their conference ! We would still need Mark Few and his highly respected staff. Your guys from the YMCA would lose by 80 or more against any WCC team. Recruits seem to love Gonzaga.
Don't try to put words in my mouth. Are you seriously arguing that Gonzaga plays the same caliber of teams that we do in a given season? I hardly think Pepperdine and Santa Clara are comparable to Michigan State and Wisconsin.

With the uncertainty of what the college season will look like next year (not making some stupid COVID debate just saying its entirely possible things are still bad) I would be going G league if I was Chet.

Go to Gonzaga? Why? They play Baylor and Iowa this year and then don't play anyone else the rest of the year.

With the uncertainty of what the college season will look like next year (not making some stupid COVID debate just saying its entirely possible things are still bad) I would be going G league if I was Chet.

Go to Gonzaga? Why? They play Baylor and Iowa this year and then don't play anyone else the rest of the year.
Games Gonzaga has scheduled for this year (with CBS preseason rank):

Baylor #2
Iowa #5
Kansas #7
Tennessee #12
Houston #15 or Texas Tech #19 (4 team tourney)
Auburn

It does sound like the Houston/Texas Tech game is is jeopardy due to COVID.

Oh and of course they will be playing in March Madness and are betting favorites to win the National Championship.

Is the G-League even happening this year? Genuine question I don’t know the answer to. But there are some guys that are skipping college for it this year, will be interesting to see how it works out for them.

Games Gonzaga has scheduled for this year (with CBS preseason rank):

Baylor #2
Iowa #5
Kansas #7
Tennessee #12
Houston #15 or Texas Tech #19 (4 team tourney)
Auburn

It does sound like the Houston/Texas Tech game is is jeopardy due to COVID.

Oh and of course they will be playing in March Madness and are betting favorites to win the National Championship.

Is the G-League even happening this year? Genuine question I don’t know the answer to. But there are some guys that are skipping college for it this year, will be interesting to see how it works out for them.
Are those games still all on their schedule? I looked and just saw Baylor and Iowa. If so, my bad I know they schedule a lot of non conference games because their conference is weaker.

Are those games still all on their schedule? I looked and just saw Baylor and Iowa. If so, my bad I know they schedule a lot of non conference games because their conference is weaker.
Kansas game was added very recently (maybe in the last week).

Texas Tech/Houston probably is less than 50% chance of happening from what I can tell.

The Tennessee game isn’t fully confirmed because they were originally playing in Orlando but that fell through, but sounds more likely than not it happens (both sides are trying to make it happen).

So Baylor, Iowa, Kansas, Auburn are all definitely scheduled with Tennessee likely and an outside shot at one of those ranked Texas teams. Agree it doesn’t show up on their official schedule though.

I hope dad is pushing for minnesota. Minnesota gave him a free ride to college even though he had bad knees.

Don't try to put words in my mouth. Are you seriously arguing that Gonzaga plays the same caliber of teams that we do in a given season? I hardly think Pepperdine and Santa Clara are comparable to Michigan State and Wisconsin.
Was not trying to put words in your mouth. I did not say that that Gonzaga plays as many tough games but they do win a higher % of those high level games they do play.

You've had 3-4 posts in the last few weeks in this thread all about the Holmgren family knees.

Go Gophers!!
To be fair, family knee discussion has really been underdone on GH, so we need to catchup to the levels it should have been at.

Why does Gonzaga's success bother you?

I guess people not liking them validates them as one of the elite programs in the country.

Pitino would have the Gophs in the top half of the WCC at least 2 or 3 times by now!!

Why does Gonzaga's success bother you?

I guess people not liking them validates them as one of the elite programs in the country.
When did I ever say Gonzaga's success bothered me? I just don't see the need to label them as the greatest program in sports like you and Badger just because they go undefeated in the WCC.

I'd much rather have to actually beat competitive teams in tough road environments then smoke Pepperdine and Santa Clara by 40 points to be considered a great program. Gonzaga would not be anywhere near as successful in the B1G and everyone knows it.

Was not trying to put words in your mouth. I did not say that that Gonzaga plays as many tough games but they do win a higher % of those high level games they do play.
All I said was that we'd win more games in the WCC. Because the competition there is a joke. I'm surprised recruits like playing against crappy competition instead of playing in the B1G or ACC... I suppose that's why they go after a lot of foreign kids.

Either these local guys can decide they are better than us (their parents, fans, and communities) or not.

Once they deem Minnesota not good enough, I'll take the next great one from anywhere like Jordan Murphy. Next man up., move on skinny kid

All I said was that we'd win more games in the WCC. Because the competition there is a joke. I'm surprised recruits like playing against crappy competition instead of playing in the B1G or ACC... I suppose that's why they go after a lot of foreign kids.
It is possible they want to play for Mark Few, live in Spokane, be the only show in town and have a strong commitment to the Jesuit order. Maybe playing in the NCAA tourney is more important than playing in the Big 10. So many factors. I do think if Chet plays college ball, with Covid there is a very good chance he plays here.

It is possible they want to play for Mark Few, live in Spokane, be the only show in town and have a strong commitment to the Jesuit order. Maybe playing in the NCAA tourney is more important than playing in the Big 10. So many factors. I do think if Chet plays college ball, with Covid there is a very good chance he plays here.
You are the ultimate FRAUD.

Chet Holmgren's AAU team to play on ESPN2

Minnehaha Academy’s 7-foot Chet Holmgren, ranked the No. 1 recruit in the senior class by ESPN, and his AAU team, Team Sizzle, will play Ypsi Prep Academy of Ypsilanti, Mich., at 7:30 p.m. on Nov. 12 in Ann Arbor, Mich., in the second game of a boys’ high school basketball triple-header showcase on ESPN2 involving teams with marquee players from six states.

Holmgren averaged 14.3 points, 9.9 rebounds and 4.9 blocks for the Redhawks (25-3) last season. They were the top-ranked team in Class 3A last March and had just qualified for the state tournament when the coronavirus pandemic ended the season.

In the three previous seasons, he had helped Minnehaha Academy win three consecutive Class 2A titles.

Holmgren is undecided on a college. His list of seven finalists, which he announced in June, includes the Gophers and Michigan, whose campus is in the city that Team Sizzle will be playing in.

Go Gophers!!

The Athletic ranked Chet as the #2 player in the country, regardless of class, behind Emoni Bates.

Here is what they said:
2. Chet Holmgren
Class: 2021. Position: Big/wing.
Height: 7-0. Hometown/school: Minneapolis/Minnehaha Academy.
College: Undecided. Previous: 6

Last weekend, someone tweeted a picture of a fly swatter and wrote “a live look at Chet Holmgren.” Holmgren retweeted it and said, “I’ll take this one as a compliment.” The rail-thin 7-footer has actually put on some pounds since the spring, making him look less like the physical incarnation of a fly swatter. But he still embodies that object as one of the most elite shot-blockers in recent high school history. That he combines his defense with guard skills, including a smooth 3-point stroke and a tight handle, makes him a singular, nearly incomparable talent on the prospect front. In a Pangos All-American Festival game on Saturday, he put up this stat line: 24 points, 20 rebounds, 12 blocks and five assists. Absurd, yes, but not that unusual for him. Thursday night on ESPN2, Holmgren’s Team Sizzle will face Bates’ Ypsilanti Prep. Do yourself a favor and watch.

Top Bottom