All Things Chet Holmgren Recruitment Thread (Class of 2021, Gophers Have Offered)

It is possible they want to play for Mark Few, live in Spokane, be the only show in town and have a strong commitment to the Jesuit order. Maybe playing in the NCAA tourney is more important than playing in the Big 10. So many factors. I do think if Chet plays college ball, with Covid there is a very good chance he plays here.

Really? Thats interesting. I don't see him playing college ball (I know you said "if") but I really don't see him as a Gopher. It would be awesome as I don't see him as a one and done just because he could use a couple years of physical maturity, and he would be a program changer from Day 1. Especially if the Gophers would use him correctly (which I am not confident Pitino would)

Really? Thats interesting. I don't see him playing college ball (I know you said "if") but I really don't see him as a Gopher. It would be awesome as I don't see him as a one and done just because he could use a couple years of physical maturity, and he would be a program changer from Day 1. Especially if the Gophers would use him correctly (which I am not confident Pitino would)

How do you think he should be used? I’d argue Pitinos actually good at using bigs dependent on their skills. I think he used Walker, King, Lynch, Murphy, and Oturo all differently and pretty well. If Chet wants to win or learn how to play D I think we can come to an agreement

How do you think he should be used? I’d argue Pitinos actually good at using bigs dependent on their skills. I think he used Walker, King, Lynch, Murphy, and Oturo all differently and pretty well. If Chet wants to win or learn how to play D I think we can come to an agreement

Chet is likely the most impactful high school defender in the country already. I think defensively he is just fine.

I'm afraid they'd try to stick a square peg into a round hole. Chet isn't a big, he is a 7ft wing on offense. He can't/shouldnt play like a traditional big. The current Gopher roster has other guys to fill that role, if he were to come here.

"If Chet wants to win" as you said, he should go elsewhere.

Chet is likely the most impactful high school defender in the country already. I think defensively he is just fine.

I'm afraid they'd try to stick a square peg into a round hole. Chet isn't a big, he is a 7ft wing on offense. He can't/shouldnt play like a traditional big. The current Gopher roster has other guys to fill that role, if he were to come here.

"If Chet wants to win" as you said, he should go elsewhere.

Chet certainly is a unicorn. Using him in a pick and pop roll would be a good. I don't know how much I'd use him coming off screens yet. He seems to be more a catch and shoot kid. He has good handles and would play well in pretty much any system. I think he'd fit in well in Pitino's offensive systems.

Chet pretty much dominated the match-up with Emoni Bates. And Bates scored 36. Chet was the x-factor on both ends.

Him and Donovan Smith's 8 threes basically won the game themselves.

Also not exactly Chet related, but the following game has Frankie Collins who took a visit to MN before committing to Michigan and he looks great

Also not exactly Chet related, but the following game has Frankie Collins who took a visit to MN before committing to Michigan and he looks great

Collins really looks a promising guard. I’m still not 100% sure Howard is that great of a college coach (his whole vibe seems a little more suited for the pros) but it may not matter with talent he’s stockpiling at Michigan.

not much more you can say about Chet, he’s gotta be the front runner for #1 pick in the 2022 draft unless Bates reclassifies but even then, it’s super super close.

Chet pretty much dominated the match-up with Emoni Bates. And Bates scored 36. Chet was the x-factor on both ends.

Him and Donovan Smith's 8 threes basically won the game themselves.
Is DS going to be a high star recruit? Couldn't find a 247 page for him, but maybe no offers yet because he's apparently a freshman (correct?)?

Is DS going to be a high star recruit? Couldn't find a 247 page for him, but maybe no offers yet because he's apparently a freshman (correct?)?
He's a JR, has some low-mid major offers and he's probably going to be stuck around there unless he has a late growth spurt. Could be an elite sharpshooter at that level though.

He's a 5'8" shooting guard thats not very athletic so its unlikely hes more than a low major or d2 guy but he can really shoot it.

DS has offers from Morgan State, Hamptom, Western Illinois, and picked up offers from Toledo and Southern Alabama last night.

Smith is simply too small and too slow to guard anyone in major D1. Great guy to play alongside Chet and Suggs though

Smith is simply too small and too slow to guard anyone in major D1. Great guy to play alongside Chet and Suggs though
He may be too small but too slow idk? YPSI Prep had 2 elite guards, one going to Michigan St. Looked like he held his own defensively

per Shooter:

After Chet Holmgren’s 31 points, 12 rebounds, six blocked shots and two three-pointers in a nationally televised AAU all-star game in Ann Arbor, Mich., last week, Sports Illustrated compared the 7-foot Minnehaha Academy top-ranked senior to the Dallas Mavericks’ 7-3 Kristaps Porzingis, “with a better handle.”

Go Gophers!!

He may be too small but too slow idk? YPSI Prep had 2 elite guards, one going to Michigan St. Looked like he held his own defensively
I bet if the Gophers were his only P6 offer, he'd play his heart out of us.

But, that's not how major college football/bball works. If you're not a high-star recruit, they won't look at you.

I bet if the Gophers were his only P6 offer, he'd play his heart out of us.

But, that's not how major college football/bball works. If you're not a high-star recruit, they won't look at you.
I’m not disagreeing that he’s a HM player. That’s not for me to decide. But you said he’s to small and too unathletic to defend... I’m sayin he held his own defensively against 2 HM guards. Not to mention he didn’t handle the ball too bad against their pressure either. Either way he’s got 5 low D1 offers. He’ll be fine regardless

I’m not disagreeing that he’s a HM player. That’s not for me to decide. But you said he’s to small and too unathletic to defend... I’m sayin he held his own defensively against 2 HM guards. Not to mention he didn’t handle the ball too bad against their pressure either. Either way he’s got 5 low D1 offers. He’ll be fine regardless

He'll be a productive low D1 player that we will probably rip Pitino for not offering. I think he's nice, but yeah the size worries me, especially in the B1G.

The current Gopher roster has other guys to fill that role, if he were to come here.

And they would sit should Chet decide to come here. One of the very best players in the nation from jump street most likely. Most programs that get him will build their game around him.

And they would sit should Chet decide to come here. One of the very best players in the nation from jump street most likely. Most programs that get him will build their game around him.
This. If Chet were going to come here they would find a way to maximize his time on the floor regardless of who we have on the roster.

Huh? I don’t know why you quoted me.

I said the current gopher roster would allow Chet to not play inside on offense. Which is true. I’d be surprised if they sat everyone besides Chet. Seems like a bad strategy.

per Shama:

The cell phone mailbox of David Holmgren is full and not accepting messages these days. His son, Chet Holmgren, is the nation’s No. 1 or 2 senior prep basketball prospect while playing for Minnehaha Academy. Chet is waiting until next year to announce a college choice, with minimal likelihood (my opinion) he plays at dad’s alma mater, the University of Minnesota.

Go Gophers!!

per Shooter:

It’ll be interesting whether 7-foot Minnehaha Academy senior Chet Holmgren, the No. 1-rated prep in the nation, accepts an offer from Gonzaga even though his former high school teammate, Jalen Suggs, is certain to be one-and-done for the NBA after this freshman season at Gonzaga.

Suggs, the No. 1-ranked Zags’ point guard who has scored 36 points against Kansas and Auburn in his first two games, will be a top-10 pick in next year’s NBA draft and a very wealthy 20-year-old.

Go Gophers!!

I can not believe this guy still has this job going 2 for the last 18 Minnesota 4+ star recruits about to be 2 for 19.

The two that he did get both going to the NBA shows the difference even a couple more of them could have made.

If you had been asked before the season, "would you be happy if Omersa is chipping in 4 points, 4 boards, 2 assists, and a steal in 15 MPG?" how many of you all would have said no?

Couldn't care less about his NBA prospects. Hope he signs with the Gophers (or Gonzaga because I like them too).

I'm post Chet at this point -

Come we'll love you and welcome you with open arms.
Don't come and best of luck to him.

I would sure enjoy watching Chet play for the Gophers, but that ship has sailed unfortunately. Wish he would commit so all this speculation would cease.

Top Bottom