All Things Cam Heide Thread - Class of 2022 (Updated: 5/3 - Gophers Offered)

I agree that Heide is probably headed to Purdue, but as with Holloman at MSU, I like that he is getting the OV out of the way now (unless he commits right away!).

Wow, the optimism is way over the top.

Hard to soar with the eagles 🦅 when you think you are a turkey!
Man... I would love if they made me look stupid and committed... I just don't see it happening.. the state of affairs at mn is as low as it can go without sanctions... 6 months of recruiting tre vs 3 yrs of tom izzo and cam is going to purdue as they have had a ton more relevance than the gophers the past 20 years.. be realistic... This fix.. which imo is only more complicated by who was hired is going to take 4-5 years. We are going to have to coach up tier 3 guys for a year or 3 before top 50 national players like tre can see the improvements and then say yeah... I can do that... Vs... sweet 16s and elite 8s with mich state....

Man... I would love if they made me look stupid and committed... I just don't see it happening.. the state of affairs at mn is as low as it can go without sanctions... 6 months of recruiting tre vs 3 yrs of tom izzo and cam is going to purdue as they have had a ton more relevance than the gophers the past 20 years.. be realistic... This fix.. which imo is only more complicated by who was hired is going to take 4-5 years. We are going to have to coach up tier 3 guys for a year or 3 before top 50 national players like tre can see the improvements and then say yeah... I can do that... Vs... sweet 16s and elite 8s with mich state....
Well, I disagree. Minnesota AAU has done very well on the national stage. All it takes is for a groups of them to want to keep playing together in college. All of them have the confidence to play with the best and they know they have a very good group that can continue to grow together.

Purdue is up and down and varies by season. Izo is on his last few years at MSU. Duke, UNC and many of the national powers are (or soon will be) losing their "legendary" coaches. The landscape of college basketball is ripe for major shifts in power. The only truth is that the next major basketball powers will be in the P6 conferences. Minnesota could be one of those new powers if a select group of players decide to make it happen. Remember, coach K was just one season away from getting fired at Duke before his magic class began the run.

Well, I disagree. Minnesota AAU has done very well on the national stage. All it takes is for a groups of them to want to keep playing together in college. All of them have the confidence to play with the best and they know they have a very good group that can continue to grow together.
MN also has the playing time for all of these kids. Ben has set it up that way. He can say to all of them that they can step in and play from day 1 and it's not a line.

Purdue is up and down and varies by season. Izo is on his last few years at MSU. Duke, UNC and many of the national powers are (or soon will be) losing their "legendary" coaches. The landscape of college basketball is ripe for major shifts in power. The only truth is that the next major basketball powers will be in the P6 conferences. Minnesota could be one of those new powers if a select group of players decide to make it happen. Remember, coach K was just one season away from getting fired at Duke before his magic class began the run.
Some of those new powers are already there and have been for awhile. I have paid very close attention to how they were built, how they were coached.I am very careful to not overate local kids based on bias.

Some of those new powers are already there and have been for awhile. I have paid very close attention to how they were built, how they were coached.I am very careful to not overate local kids based on bias.
Yes, the landscape of college basketball is changing and some of the old powers will fade back to the pack and be replaced by others. That is part of the beauty of college basketball, a handful of players can change a program.

Yes, the landscape of college basketball is changing and some of the old powers will fade back to the pack and be replaced by others. That is part of the beauty of college basketball, a handful of players can change a program.
And some of the old powers that had faded are roaring back. Simply awesome when a programs finds the right coach. Seating at the elite table is very limited. Very few newcomers run off a decade of excellence with 4-5 conference titles and a national title. The reason it is so wonderful is because it is so rare. I also do not think that both Duke and UNC will fade far, not back to the pack, however that is defined. Will be really enjoyable to follow. I am planning on going to 30 regular season games across several programs. My favorites are watching programs that were bad for so long become elite.

There is a difference between the future and recruiting guys will will probably commit in the next several months. Your asking Johnson to Recruit Heide over a school that has finished ahead of the Gophers 7 straight years and his dad went to. Plus has Grandparents living there. Or trying to make up in a couple months the ground made by one of the best coaches in the country whos had years. Its a huge task

Recruiting guys in 2023 when he has a year of coaching under his belt and time to build relations is when he has the best opportunity to make changes.

There is a difference between the future and recruiting guys will will probably commit in the next several months. Your asking Johnson to Recruit Heide over a school that has finished ahead of the Gophers 7 straight years and his dad went to. Plus has Grandparents living there. Or trying to make up in a couple months the ground made by one of the best coaches in the country whos had years. Its a huge task

Recruiting guys in 2023 when he has a year of coaching under his belt and time to build relations is when he has the best opportunity to make changes.
You get it....

The top tier players wanna win.. titles... Championships... In the 1-2 years they will be there. They don't want to loose.. A LOT
maybe these kids will say hey WE can do it here together... I just think your 2-3 years away from that being a reality

I think there's more to where a recruit decides to go to school than just which team has been winning more games lately. If that were the case, then players with offers from Minnesota wouldn't seriously consider offers from Northwestern, Nebraska, or Rutgers, much less actually commit to them, but it still happens.

"I feel a better personal connection to the Minnesota coaching staff than to other coaching staffs."

"The Minnesota staff seems more interested in me than other schools."

"I like Minnesota's opportunity for me to play big minutes as a freshman."

"I am sold on the future of the Minnesota basketball program, and am not concerned about the lack of success the last few years under the previous staff"

Or heaven forbid the homer wet dream: "I want to represent my home state with other Minnesotans and start a trend of the best local players staying home"

These are some of the reasons a touted recruit might not just pick the most successful program on the court in recent history. It's mid June, most/all of our top local targets have visited campus in the last week or two, and it is in my opinion WAY too early to be throwing in the towel on the 2022 recruiting class.

I think there's more to where a recruit decides to go to school than just which team has been winning more games lately. If that were the case, then players with offers from Minnesota wouldn't seriously consider offers from Northwestern, Nebraska, or Rutgers, much less actually commit to them, but it still happens.

"I feel a better personal connection to the Minnesota coaching staff than to other coaching staffs."

"The Minnesota staff seems more interested in me than other schools."

"I like Minnesota's opportunity for me to play big minutes as a freshman."

"I am sold on the future of the Minnesota basketball program, and am not concerned about the lack of success the last few years under the previous staff"

Or heaven forbid the homer wet dream: "I want to represent my home state with other Minnesotans and start a trend of the best local players staying home"

These are some of the reasons a touted recruit might not just pick the most successful program on the court in recent history. It's mid June, most/all of our top local targets have visited campus in the last week or two, and it is in my opinion WAY too early to be throwing in the towel on the 2022 recruiting class.
Agree. Many reasons to pick Minnesota. BJ lays out the vision and we see how much appeal it has. Patience is required in a build. The foundation alone takes time.We may not win until the 3rd year but we can see signs early with high character recruits, great fundamentals and bloodletting defense.

Last edited:

Purdue sucks! Ugliest girls in the B10 and it's not close. West Lafayette is a dump as well.
Would think Purdue and UIUC tie in this regard. Both are nerd/farming schools, out in rural farming country win small, uninteresting towns.

You get it....

The top tier players wanna win.. titles... Championships... In the 1-2 years they will be there. They don't want to loose.. A LOT
maybe these kids will say hey WE can do it here together... I just think your 2-3 years away from that being a reality
But the players that won those games in the past will not be there to help them win. It is a matter of having the confidence in yourself that YOU can win the games and championships with the right group of players. Do you really think that if the top group of Minnesota AAU players would play together at the U they would lose a lot? Then what makes you think they are good enough to dominate on the teams you talk about.

They also want meaningful playing time. Would you rather be the part of the heart and souls of a scrappy team that loses in the elite 8 or sit on the bench of a final four team?

But the players that won those games in the past will not be there to help them win. It is a matter of having the confidence in yourself that YOU can win the games and championships with the right group of players. Do you really think that if the top group of Minnesota AAU players would play together at the U they would lose a lot? Then what makes you think they are good enough to dominate on the teams you talk about.

They also want meaningful playing time. Would you rather be the part of the heart and souls of a scrappy team that loses in the elite 8 or sit on the bench of a final four team?
Great points. But a notable factor is who is coaching those teams. Most of the Minnesota kids are not getting many elite offers.

Top Bottom