All Things 2024 Minnesota Vikings Off-Season Thread

I’d want this guy on my team, loves to compete.

Rome Odunze put on a show at NFL combine, then did something rarely ever seen
https://sports.yahoo.com/rome-odunz...did-something-rarely-ever-seen-043036778.html

Rome Odunze put on a show at NFL combine, then did something rarely ever seen​

INDIANAPOLIS — Earlier this week, when it became clear that Rome Odunze was the highest rated prospect who would actually participate fully in this week’s NFL scouting combine, the Washington Huskies wideout fielded a question that has essentially become a defining North Star for the elite players at this year’s event.

Why do it?

All three of the top quarterbacks declined to do on-field work, with LSU’s Jayden Danielsrefusing to even be weighed or measured. The top tight end, Brock Bowers, skipped all of his positional drills and the 40-yard dash. Same for the draft’s presumed top two wideouts, LSU’s Malik Nabers and Ohio State’s Marvin Harrison Jr., who no-showed his scheduled media appearance. By Saturday, it effectively left the combine with Odunze as the last elite standing after he committed to doing literally everything.

After the 6-foot-3, 212-pound Odunze put up superb scores in the vertical leap (39 inches) and 20-yard shuttle (4.03), he ran a strong 4.45 seconds in the 40-yard dash. He followed that up with an impeccable slate of drills, highlighted by a near-perfect gauntlet, showcasing his ability to stay on a line while running at full speed and catching passes in rapid succession. Then he did something that caught the eyes of NFL talent evaluators.

With Lucas Oil Stadium nearly empty, Odunze was on the field repeatedly re-running his three-cone drill. Despite already notching the fourth-highest score (6.88) of his receiver class, he had clipped a cone while attempting to get a better score. So he went again. And again. And again. Five times in all, until NFL Network cameras noticed he was doing a drill in a stadium that was effectively abandoned.

It was a moment that caught the eyes of evaluators, too.

I don't know if the 2022 Russ was any better than Hall-Mullins-Dobbs. 2023 version, sure. Looked like at some gas in the tank.
His passer rating was 98, good for 8th in the league. He had 26 TDs and 8 picks; far from wretched. The media jumped on the story, as it’s an interesting narrative gif a former SB QB to have this type of experience.

Of course in 2023 he got to play the Vikings, which he has completely owned throughout his whole career.

Bye Bye Kirk Cousins. Don't get the good hit you on the way out.

Hall and Dobbs are not NFL QB's. Russel Wilson on his worst day is better than them and equal to Muellens.
The 2022 Russ looked cooked and equally adept at losing football games to that trio.

His passer rating was 98, good for 8th in the league. He had 26 TDs and 8 picks; far from wretched. The media jumped on the story, as it’s an interesting narrative gif a former SB QB to have this type of experience.

Yes, that's what I meant by saying in 2023 there was some gas in the tank. In the right circumstance, he showed he was capable of winning.

Wilson must also be huge pain in ass if Payton wants to cast him aside and eat the salary cap hit.

Yes, that's what I meant by saying in 2023 there was some gas in the tank. In the right circumstance, he showed he was capable of winning.
Agreed
Wilson must also be huge pain in ass if Payton wants to cast him aside and eat the salary cap hit.
I’ve heard Payton is a _____.

Remember Bounty Gate, which he had to have known about.

Russ was from the old regime IIRC and Payton may want “his guy” and knows he’s got another 3-4 years to figure it out.
Denver always supports their team.

Agreed

I’ve heard Payton is a _____.

Remember Bounty Gate, which he had to have known about.

Russ was from the old regime IIRC and Payton may want “his guy” and knows he’s got another 3-4 years to figure it out.
Denver always supports their team.
Personally I hope Wilson and Payton made each other miserable. They deserved each other.

Still beat the Vikings though, which sucked, solving the Dobbs magic that began turning the season into circle the drain mode.

The 2022 Russ looked cooked and equally adept at losing football games to that trio.
The 2022 Broncos were a dumpster fire and Nathaniel Hackett is one of the worst head coaching hires in NFL history. It's no coincidence they looked much better with the interim HC. Russ wasn't good but it wasn't all on him.

Love Hunter but keeping him isn't wise. He's going to be 30 and has an injury history. Don't give big $$ to anyone you don't see contributing in 2026.
And he was playing on a contract year this year. Coincidence that he had the year he did? I think not. He made himself a ton of money. He may have a good 2024, and outside chance in ‘25, but are you willing to have a crap contract sitting on the books or a ton of dead cap in ‘26/‘27 when you inevitably have to cut him? Not worth it.

The 2022 Broncos were a dumpster fire and Nathaniel Hackett is one of the worst head coaching hires in NFL history. It's no coincidence they looked much better with the interim HC. Russ wasn't good but it wasn't all on him.
All true, but it's soon to be 2 teams that will have dumped him in roughly 24 months. Not a good trajectory.

And he was playing on a contract year this year. Coincidence that he had the year he did? I think not. He made himself a ton of money.
Every year he's been healthy, he has been awesome - and that's under two vastly different defensive schemes. I'm not necessarily advocating to re-sign him, but saying he played up for a new contract is more than a little disingenuous.

Every year he's been healthy, he has been awesome - and that's under two vastly different defensive schemes. I'm not necessarily advocating to re-sign him, but saying he played up for a new contract is more than a little disingenuous.
I like Hunter- he’s been a great player. I’m not crapping on him. But at age 29, in a contract year, he had career highs in sacks, tackles, TFLs, FFs, and tied a career high in pressures.

I don’t like losing him, but after a year or two, his contract will not age well.

I like Hunter- he’s been a great player. I’m not crapping on him. But at age 29, in a contract year, he had career highs in sacks, tackles, TFLs, FFs, and tied a career high in pressures.

I don’t like losing him, but after a year or two, his contract will not age well.
How many of those sacks even halted the drive?

I think sacks are one of the most overrated, and definitely one of the most overvalued, stats in the NFL.

He doesn't take over games.

So ... Dan Graziano scooped everyone? All of the usual Vikings insiders and first to report newsmakers when it comes to the Purple?

Um, bulls__t.

How many of those sacks even halted the drive?

I think sacks are one of the most overrated, and definitely one of the most overvalued, stats in the NFL.

He doesn't take over games.
Does Cousins take over games?

Not trading hunter was just terrible
I was saying that when it happened. Frigging brutal. Might have gotten a low first. For sure, a second.

You had geniuses like Mlps saying we could win it all and make a run. You have to keep him.

Now Mlps doesn't care for hunter as he doesn't take over games.

This board is the best. LMAO

And had we traded him, maybe we lose another game and are drafting 6th. Just think, a second round pick and drafting 6th. Can't make it up.

Last edited:

Not trading hunter was just terrible
I swear, NFL GMs are the dumbest front offices among the 4 major U.S. sports. NBA and MLB teams would've traded Hunter without hesitation.

Why wouldn't you trade a player when you're going nowhere for a great draft pick, especially when that player is near his physical decline?

Wouldn't you rather have a guy with the potential to start for your team for 8-10 years, with a low salary for 4 years, than keep an older veteran having a great year for 8 weeks?

Shouldn't you make that trade every day of the week? If the pick busts, all it cost you was 8 weeks of high level play from 1 player. That's well worth the risk of drafting another Cine.

No Cousins, no Hunter. Without Cousins, it's almost certainly a "reset year" and if it is, there is zero sense in keeping Hunter around. If you keep Cousins, then I think you probably find a way to keep Hunter as well. It wouldn't be that hard.

No Cousins, no Hunter. Without Cousins, it's almost certainly a "reset year" and if it is, there is zero sense in keeping Hunter around. If you keep Cousins, then I think you probably find a way to keep Hunter as well. It wouldn't be that hard.
Not signing Cousins means the void years will be in force. Hunter would definitely be gone.

There's no way to competitively rebuild with Cousins gone.

Maybe the fans will get the full rebuild they want after all. Next year is looking like a bottoming put year.

If that happens, I expect KAM to be fired at the end of next year.

Not signing Cousins means the void years will be in force. Hunter would definitely be gone.

There's no way to competitively rebuild with Cousins gone.

Maybe the fans will get the full rebuild they want after all. Next year is looking like a bottoming put year.

If that happens, I expect KAM to be fired at the end of next year.
Make a decision, implement it, stick with it...hope you draft really well and pray you choose wisely when targeting a young QB. This team is overdue for a complete overhaul of their roster and cap management.

Former GM's rarely get hired again so KAM better make the next 1-2 years count.

Top Bottom