All Things 2024 Minnesota Vikings Off-Season Thread

He's hyped now. Someone else will get hyped from the combine. In the end he'll be there when the Vikings pick most likely. If a QB they think is a franchise QB is there they should take them. Or they should trade up as needed.
Yes.

And Kirk will get a fully guaranteed contract for at least two years.

Correct. Take the L

If you believe they tried trade up for Richardson, then they'll be doing everything they can to get Maye, Daniels, or Williams. The Vikings have much better draft capital this year, and the QBs are much better than last year. They just need 1 of 3 teams to say yes because those three QBs will go 1, 2, 3.
Is that your opinion or from people who compose mock drafts?

This was published before last year's draft.

I was shocked by how poor the success rate has been for first round QBs.

Looking at the list, it's actually better than I expected. Especially considering most QB's are grossly overdrafted due to the value of QB in the NFL. I've bolded the guys that seem to be legitimate NFL starting QB's. Really shouldn't be including Pickett as there's not quite enough to judge him yet, but I'd lean towards "not remarkable" at this point. Murray is a legitimate starting QB, just paid way too much. If his contract more closely aligned with his value, he'd be looked at in a better light. I'm not a big Fields fan, but you could possibly argue him to be bolded. My own personal opinion, the "hit" rate is 8/18. I think the reason it seems worse than it actually is is that you think of the total busts and worry that can happen to you. Think Trey Lance, Dwayne Haskins, Josh Rosen. The first two were drafted purely on "athleticism and potential", which is always risky no matter the position.

The list going back to 2018 (arbitrarily picked by me to not go back too far):

Kenny Pickett
Trevor Lawrence
Zach Wilson
Trey Lance
Justin Fields
Mac Jones
Joe Burrow
Tua Tagovailoa
Justin Herbert
Jordan Love
Kyler Murray

Daniel Jones
Dwayne Haskins
Baker Mayfield
Sam Darnold
Josh Allen
Josh Rosen
Lamar Jackson

Order of preference:
1 Sign JJ
2 Sign Danielle at a reasonable number (no idea what that is)
3 Keep the pick and draft best DL or DB on the board.
4 Sign Kirk, but only at a team friendly value. If Atl or someone wants to pay him 40 mil a year, let them.
5. Look to the second round for the QB of the future.

Just learned about this over the weekend. Free 7-part documentary series on the Vikings. Popping up on a lot of Top 10 Films and Top 10 Documentaries for 2023.

Vikings 2024 Schedule:

Zygi Dome:

Bears
Lions
Packers
Cardinals
49ers
Texans
Colts
Falcons
Jets

Road:

Bears
Lions
Packers
Rams
Seahawks
Jaguars
Titans
Giants

Even though the Vikes tied with the Bears for 3rd/4th place, based on SOS the Bears get the last place NFC North slate. Chicago gets to host the Panthers and Patriots as well play the Commanders on the road based on that tiebreaker.

The Purple play Atl-NYJ-NYG instead.

And look who then is coming to town (assuming healthy and/or not retired):

A-A-A-AaRON and the Jets …..
AARRRRR-ON
AARRRRR-ON
AARRRRR-ON AARRRRR-ON AARRRRR-ONNNNNnnnnannnnnnnd the Jeeeeeeeetttssssss

And look who then is coming to town (assuming healthy and/or not retired):

A-A-A-AaRON and the Jets …..
AARRRRR-ON
AARRRRR-ON
AARRRRR-ON AARRRRR-ON AARRRRR-ONNNNNnnnnannnnnnnd the Jeeeeeeeetttssssss

Hey - guess who just said that the Jets "have to eliminate distractions" in 2024?

Yup - the guy who goes on the Pat McAfee show every week and shoots his mouth off.

you can't make this stuff up.

meanwhile in real life, a quick NFL 'Black Monday' update:

--Commanders fire HC Ron Rivera - Rick Spielman will advise ownership on hiring search for new coach and head of operations

--Bill Belichick says he will meet with owner Robert Kraft to discuss his status, says he would potentially consider giving up control over personnel.

--Kirk Cousins says he hopes to re-sign with Vikings. says "structure" of team more important than dollars.

--Wink Martindale quits as NY Giants D-coordinator. Giants fire Special teams coordinator

--Carolina Panthers fire GM Scott Fitterer

--Atlanta Falcons fire HC Arthur Smith

-- LA Raiders begin interviewing GM candidates

Compliments of the Dan Patrick Show today: There are 6 teams that qualified for the NFL Playoffs that did not make it last year (Browns, Lions, Texans, Packers, Rams & Steelers).

It's the 34th Consecutive NFL Season that at least 4 Teams have accomplished that feat.

Here's hoping the 2024 Vikings can help extend it to 35.

Jordan Love threw for 18 TDs & 1 pick over the last 8 games in which the Pavk ended up 6-2. He also finished second in TDs.

Jordan Love threw for 18 TDs & 1 pick over the last 8 games in which the Pavk ended up 6-2. He also finished second in TDs.

The Packers appear to be the only NFL team that believes a young QB should sit and learn for a few years rather than start immediately.

It seems to be working for them; Favre to Rodgers to Love.

--Commanders fire HC Ron Rivera - Rick Spielman will advise ownership on hiring search for new coach and head of operations

--Wink Martindale quits as NY Giants D-coordinator. Giants fire Special teams coordinator

-- LA Raiders begin interviewing GM candidates

I like Spielman, despite all the ire and hate he gets from Vikings fans. He did a lot of good during his time in MN. Smart football guy, he'll have work in the league for a long time. I listened to one or two longer interviews with him and he strikes me as in incredibly bright guy. I'm rooting for him.

Lots of rumblings that Daboll with the Giants is a colossal dickhead and hated by most people in the building in New York. Yikes!!! I really like him as a HC, but that's not good. Not good at all. Running off Martindale won't help his defense, that's for sure.

Raiders in an interesting situation. Interim HC Antonio Pierce is MASSIVELY supported by the players in the locker room right now, as well as the fans. He has a good chance of sticking.

The problem to me is, if you're going with an inexperienced guy like that for HC, you CANNOT stick with an inexperienced interim GM like Champ Kelly. A lot of people want to believe the smoke that because Jim Harbaugh hired an agent with close ties to the Raiders, Don Yee (Brady's agent), that means Harbaugh could be a strong candidate for the HC gig. Who knows?

Penix is Tua at best and more likely a career backup.

He's a 1 read passer with an accurate arm downfield.

He has bad pocket footwork under duress, he's inaccurate on passes that require touch, and he's very mediocre outside of the pocket.

Give him a clean pocket, with time, and he'll carve you up downfield. You could say the same with almost any NFL QB.

The Vikings can't draft him in Round 1 to be their franchise QB. He's not good enough.

He has bad pocket footwork under duress, he's inaccurate on passes that require touch, and he's very mediocre outside of the pocket.

Give him a clean pocket, with time, and he'll carve you up downfield. You could say the same with almost any NFL QB.

The Vikings can't draft him in Round 1 to be their franchise QB. He's not good enough.

Nope. And I don't suspect anyone else will do that either.

Nope. And I don't suspect anyone else will do that either.
Somebody will think that they can coach him up, with that arm strength. Just a hunch.

The Packers appear to be the only NFL team that believes a young QB should sit and learn for a few years rather than start immediately.
Nope, Vikings too!

Cousins next two years, guy we draft this year sits and learns. :)

Good, let know-nothings crow about that he's a backup.

Let him fall back to us :)

If the Vikings can't trade up for Daniels, they should re-sign Cousins and see what falls to them in the second round. Outside of the top 3, none of the other QBs are worth taking at 11. This is how I'd rank them.

1. Daniels
2. Maye
3. Williams
4. McCarthy
5. Penix
6. Nix

I don't think it will happen even though some mock drafts show it, but if McCarthy somehow fell to the 2nd round, he would be perfect to sit behind Cousins for 2 years.

^^^^ You are correct, but Mlps has that huge 3-0 win over Vegas framed on his wall.

Top Bottom