All Things 2024 Minnesota Vikings Off-Season Thread

Yeah I don't disagree. It's the right formula to win, I just don't like it.
That’s the right formula? You get a four year window and just hope that a rookie shows up as a Pro Bowler?

Once the window is up, dump him and repeat? LOLOLOL

Brady, Manning, Ben, Mahomes? Nothing? Get real

Talking about salary numbers of now is stupid, when the cap is set to expand bigly in a couple years??

$30M in today numbers could easily convert to $45M in near future numbers.

If we used anything more than a 5th on Bo Nix it's a waste.

It seems like this thought comes from Gopher fans remembering the true freshman at Auburn Nix in the Outback bowl. He has come a long ways from that QB.

His progression at Oregon was great. His numbers this year were off the charts. They blew what Herbert did at Oregon out of the water. The only issues with Nix is that he's older, and a little on the smaller side. I think he's really similar to Kirk Cousins, except more mobile.

It seems like this thought comes from Gopher fans remembering the true freshman at Auburn Nix in the Outback bowl. He has come a long ways from that QB.

His progression at Oregon was great. His numbers this year were off the charts. They blew what Herbert did at Oregon out of the water. The only issues with Nix is that he's older, and a little on the smaller side. I think he's really similar to Kirk Cousins, except more mobile.
The thought comes from Nix's numbers being inflated by throwing 3 yard passes to Oregon's athletes and having them do the rest. He got exposed in the PAC-12 championship game. He did great in Oregon's system, and he deserves credit for that, but he can't make NFL throws under pressure.

That’s the right formula? You get a four year window and just hope that a rookie shows up as a Pro Bowler?

Once the window is up, dump him and repeat? LOLOLOL

Brady, Manning, Ben, Mahomes? Nothing? Get real
No you're right, all you need is to get one of the best QBs to ever play the game.

Recent history has shown your best chance of success is to have a younger QB still on their rookie contract or have one of the best QBs of all-time.

All the talk about "drafting a QB too high" and trading back spots to pick up a guy later in the first, etc. are all silly, IMO. IF (big if) the guy you like is sitting there, just draft him. Either he pans out or he doesn't. It doesn't matter if he was taken at 11, 18, 32, etc. Either he's good or not.

After Kwesi and Co. got all cute two years ago, I have little faith in their ability to do this and still end up with the guy they like. I understand that was their first go around, and hopefully they've learned. I'm big on McCarthy, but am not super confident he'll be ready day 1. If I'm GM, I'm taking McCarthy with a one-year bridge QB for 2024, and best case scenario McCarthy is just too good to keep on the bench and he starts at some point in 2024. IMO, not being thrown to the wolves immediately has big upside.

All the talk about "drafting a QB too high" and trading back spots to pick up a guy later in the first, etc. are all silly, IMO. IF (big if) the guy you like is sitting there, just draft him. Either he pans out or he doesn't. It doesn't matter if he was taken at 11, 18, 32, etc. Either he's good or not.

After Kwesi and Co. got all cute two years ago, I have little faith in their ability to do this and still end up with the guy they like. I understand that was their first go around, and hopefully they've learned. I'm big on McCarthy, but am not super confident he'll be ready day 1. If I'm GM, I'm taking McCarthy with a one-year bridge QB for 2024, and best case scenario McCarthy is just too good to keep on the bench and he starts at some point in 2024. IMO, not being thrown to the wolves immediately has big upside.
If we draft the qb at 11, I'd say there is a good chance he is the starter.

If so, do we save enough money by not signing Cousins to fix some of the interior of the offensive line? If you start a rookie, that has to be better.

The thought comes from Nix's numbers being inflated by throwing 3 yard passes to Oregon's athletes and having them do the rest. He got exposed in the PAC-12 championship game. He did great in Oregon's system, and he deserves credit for that, but he can't make NFL throws under pressure.

I disagree. He threw downfield with a lot of success this season including game 1 against Washington.

The championship game was his worst of the season, but it still wasn’t that bad compared to a lot of QBs.

I wouldn’t take Nix at 11, but I’d definitely take him in the 2nd round.

Recent history has shown your best chance of success is to have a younger QB still on their rookie contract or have one of the best QBs of all-time.
Falsely stated.

You can’t imply that just any ol QB still on a rookie contract will do. That’s false.

It has to be a Pro-Bowl level, or the potential to be, QB still on a rookie contract.

In other words, you have to have a good QB. No S

There is no unique correct formula.

Every team every year that makes it to the Super Bowl, used a variation of a different formula and all of them are correct. They made it.

Resigning your high-level vet while drafting a rookie to sit for a couple years and learn, is a correct formula.

One of many.

Losers here try desperately to pretend like it’s easy and that there is a single correct or very few correct formulas. False. If it were that easy, everyone would do that.

Falsely stated.

You can’t imply that just any ol QB still on a rookie contract will do. That’s false.

It has to be a Pro-Bowl level, or the potential to be, QB still on a rookie contract.

In other words, you have to have a good QB. No S

There is no unique correct formula.

Every team every year that makes it to the Super Bowl, used a variation of a different formula and all of them are correct. They made it.

Resigning your high-level vet while drafting a rookie to sit for a couple years and learn, is a correct formula.

One of many.

Losers here try desperately to pretend like it’s easy. False. If it were easy, everyone would do that.
I never said it would do.

Ben Johnson is staying put - told Washington and Seattle that he’s bowing out from their HC search.

Ruins my fantasy of him leaving and their offense stinking

Ben Johnson is staying put - told Washington and Seattle that he’s bowing out from their HC search.

Ruins my fantasy of him leaving and their offense stinking
Washington I get- maybe it gets better with the new ownership group, but that organization has been a dumpster fire for years. Seattle has an odd “lame duck” owner, so maybe that scares you off? Otherwise, I’d say that’s a pretty good job.

Washington I get- maybe it gets better with the new ownership group, but that organization has been a dumpster fire for years. Seattle has an odd “lame duck” owner, so maybe that scares you off? Otherwise, I’d say that’s a pretty good job.

Whoever takes the Washington job, safe to say at this point they're just grabbing the paycheck. And why not?!? If that doofus new owner wants to give you that kind of a check, take it. I would think whoever gets this job will be an at least somewhat older guy who's been around the block; not someone who is building their career, climbing the ladder, looking to make their mark for a long time.

The new Washington ownership to me can't be anything but positive, following the Snyder regime there is nowhere to go but up, especially if a new stadium is on the horizon.

Plus with the #2 overall pick, I am puzzled why he took himself out of the running.

Whoever takes the Washington job, safe to say at this point they're just grabbing the paycheck. And why not?!? If that doofus new owner wants to give you that kind of a check, take it. I would think whoever gets this job will be an at least somewhat older guy who's been around the block; not someone who is building their career, climbing the ladder, looking to make their mark for a long time.
Pete Carroll just raised his hand.

The new Washington ownership to me can't be anything but positive, following the Snyder regime there is nowhere to go but up, especially if a new stadium is on the horizon.

Plus with the #2 overall pick, I am puzzled why he took himself out of the running.

There's a lot, LOT more that stunk in that building than Snyder, by most accounts anyway. He was an easy target, he's kind of a tool obviously, but he's far, FAR from the only issue that was going on there. Can't say I've been impressed that much with Harris' NBA ownership habits so I don't know how optimistic I would be if I were a Redskins fan.

There's a lot, LOT more that stunk in that building than Snyder, by most accounts anyway. He was an easy target, he's kind of a tool obviously, but he's far, FAR from the only issue that was going on there. Can't say I've been impressed that much with Harris' NBA ownership habits so I don't know how optimistic I would be if I were a Redskins fan.
I just assumed new Ownership cleaned house, but if not then yeah that's an issue. I don't know why they would want to keep anyone associated with Snyder.

He’s waiting for the spontaneous combustion of Campbell.

Hawks were in the playoffs last year also.

Broncos pick right after the Vikings...

The great thing about Wilson’s contract, is that it’s structured as a payback (IIRC).
Meaning that if a new team signs him for $5M after he is cut, that $5M is paid to the Broncos, as they have to pay him the $39M regardless.

Theoretically, he could sign for the league minimum - this info is via Dan Graziano on ESPN. They floated ATL, Pitt & Seattle as possible landing spots for him.

Last edited:

Good read in The Athletic from Alec Lewis on the Vikings pending Free Agents. Lewis does a great job covering the Vikings on that site. Interesting blurb on Cousins, like him or hate him...

>>Thirty quarterbacks dropped back a minimum of 300 times in 2023. Cousins led them all in adjusted completion percentage, which calculates the percentage of aimed passes thrown on target. He is only 1-3 in the playoffs as a starter, but his opponents in those games averaged 31 points. Cousins, meanwhile, has completed 71 percent of his passes in those games, averaging 258 yards with a 4-to-1 touchdown-to-interception ratio.

The entire "look at his playoff record" argument is pretty shaky. QBs do not win or lose games on their own. Period.

And anyone who is still insisting that Cousins is simply a bad QB are so obviously wrong that it isn't worth arguing with them.

And his salary is middle of the pack for NFL QBs. He is not overpaid, according to the market.

But...

... the people who argue for letting Cousins walk have some valid points:

— The Vikings need cap room to fill in some holes on their roster.

— And Cousins is, what 35 years old, almost 36? And he's undeniably coming off his one significant injury in his career.

Then again, does it make sense to tie up a comparatively huge chunk of cap space on a new contract for Jefferson if he's going to have a rookie QB throwing to him?

There are some hard questions here, and they have no easy answers.

Earlier in this thread, I questioned whether Winfield was a free agent this year. I was wrong. He is a free agent.
However, I read today that the Bucs will franchise tag him for $17M if they can't sign him to a long-term deal, which is estimated at $92M for 4 years. They're not letting him out of Tampa.

If we draft the qb at 11, I'd say there is a good chance he is the starter.

If so, do we save enough money by not signing Cousins to fix some of the interior of the offensive line? If you start a rookie, that has to be better.
I would feel a lot better about starting a rookie QB if the running game was at least respectable.

Would say he feels like they’re right there on the cusp of a ring. Give it one more year, he has interviewed the last two years, doubt the demand will dry up after 2024. Wild guess that’s what he’s thinking

I would feel a lot better about starting a rookie QB if the running game was at least respectable.

They need help at RB, that's for sure. Surprisingly enough, some of the analysis I've seen/read said the run blocking actually wasn't that bad, and TE Josh Oliver was actually really good; the Vikings just had RBs that routinely missed holes, didn't break tackles, couldn't make plays. There will be decent ones available in FA once again, they need to take a good look

Top Bottom