All Things 2024 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

Walk.
Hit by Pitch.
Strikeout (dropped 3rd).
Base Hit.
Fielder's Choice.
Error.
Catchers Interference (which is also an Error).
Pinch Run.

That's actually 8, but there's some overlap as both dropped 3rd Ks and Catcher's interference are also Errors.

Pinch runner! Brilliant!

I saw this the other day. When I worked in minor league baseball, I periodically would ask questions like this to my interns and it was always interesting to hear them talk it through together. This was always one of the questions I’d ask.

One of my other favorites was asking how many hits can a team have in an inning without scoring a run? Anyone want to guess without looking it up?
I'd guess 6, but there's probably some funny business involved with scoring it a hit vs. a fielder's choice.

I saw this the other day. When I worked in minor league baseball, I periodically would ask questions like this to my interns and it was always interesting to hear them talk it through together. This was always one of the questions I’d ask.

One of my other favorites was asking how many hits can a team have in an inning without scoring a run? Anyone want to guess without looking it up?
I think it's 6.

Single - picked off 1st.
Single - caught stealing 2nd.
Single
Single
Single
If the next guy up hits a runner with a batted ball in fair territory, the runner is Out but the batter gets credit for reaching base safely with yet another Single.

Walk.
Hit by Pitch.
Strikeout (dropped 3rd).
Base Hit.
Fielder's Choice.
Error.
Catchers Interference (which is also an Error).
Pinch Run.

That's actually 8, but there's some overlap as both dropped 3rd Ks and Catcher's interference are also Errors.
Don’t mess with them Rice County Boys 😎

I think it's 6.

Single - picked off 1st.
Single - caught stealing 2nd.
Single
Single
Single
If the next guy up hits a runner with a batted ball in fair territory, the runner is Out but the batter gets credit for reaching base safely with yet another Single.
This is the correct answer. It’s a quirky rule but that’s what makes baseball great.

Pinch runner! Brilliant!
Semantics are key for the question. I remember hearing this first on the radio as a kid phrased as "What are the 7 ways for a player to reach first base without swinging at a pitch?" That would include the Pinch Runner but exclude a Base Hit.

If it's "What are the ways for a batter to reach first base?" Then Base Hit is in play, but Pinch Runner gets the boot. So, still 7.

If it's "How many ways can a player reach first base?" I think the answer would be the 8 I listed.

It took until the 17th batter of the game for the Twins to have a batted ball with a xBA of greater than .130. If Snell gets this, can’t say he got lucky. Some pretty weak contact so far.

That sucked a lot of the excitement in the top of the 9th away. That dive was a lot like Jake Cave, diving where they ain’t.

Watching the draft on ESPN and we took a SS from Kansas State, Kaelen Culpepper @ 21, he was ranked 31 on MLB’s list.

The Twins Farm System was ranked third by ESPN.

I suspect this could be a pick based on signing bonus/draft slot.

in the pre-draft rankings, Culpepper was #28 by ESPN, #30 by The Athletic, #31 by MLB.com and #34 by Baseball America.

so on paper, a bit of a 'reach' - but if he is willing to sign an under-slot deal - take less money than the #21 pick would normally receive - then that leaves the Twins with more money to sign other picks.

the "buzz" on Culpepper is that he's supposed to be a really good dude with a strong family background.

should be athletic enough to stick at SS, but could also move to 3B or 2B. more of a line-drive hitter but scouts think he can develop more power.

(I did see him mocked to the Twins, but more likely for the #33 pick, so I can't claim that as a call)

Last edited:

Top Bottom