All Things 2024 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

This man hit the first inside-the-park home run in Twins history. Do you know who he is?

IMG_7330.jpeg

Lewis has shown enough where you just have to risk keeping him

It's his 3rd year and he hasn't been able to stay healthy longer than a month. He gives you nothing for 3/4 of the year and the Twins record is virtually the same when he plays compared to when he doesn't.

It's his 3rd year and he hasn't been able to stay healthy longer than a month. He gives you nothing for 3/4 of the year and the Twins record is virtually the same when he plays compared to when he doesn't.

I am starting to feel similarly toward Lewis.

to be clear - I am not saying he should be traded, because the Twins would not get enough value in return.

but, at the same time, Lewis should not figure in any long-term planning. You just can't count on him to be available. anything they get from him is a plus. so going forward, Twins have to just assume that Lewis is going to miss at least half of every season, and construct the roster accordingly.

look, it's possible that Lewis, along with the team doctors and trainers, figure out some way for him to stay reasonably healthy. if that happens, fantastic. but I'm not going to bet on that happening.

on the flip side, the Twins have a chance to sign Lewis to a team-friendly long-term contract - as they did with Buxton. Boras has no leverage in the negotiations. Twins just point to # of games missed. that might be the bright side to the whole deal.

It's frustrating with Lewis, but you'd be selling a dollar for $.80 and a lottery ticket when there's a pretty big risk he's worth $10 at some point. All of these injuries are to different areas. There's no specific degenerative issue like Kiriloff with his wrist of even Buxton with his knee. Maybe he will always be injury prone or maybe his luck will change at some point.

Interesting. Camargo is primarily a C, but has also played some 1B and LF. Bats RH.
only hitting .215 at AAA with 6 HR and 27 RBI.

I'm guessing for now will mainly be used as a pinch-hitter when other team brings in a LH reliever.

Farmer out means Castro is really the only 2B right now - unless they put Lee at 2B and have Miranda at 3B.

Interesting. Camargo is primarily a C, but has also played some 1B and LF. Bats RH.

I'm guessing for now will mainly be used as a pinch-hitter when other team brings in a LH reliever.

Farmer out means Castro is really the only 2B right now - unless they put Lee at 2B and have Miranda at 3B.
The only options on the 40 man are Camargo, Julien, Severino, and Rodriguez. The other three guys we would want to continue to play everyday which they would not do if called up to the Twins.

With a lot of time off coming up, there is little need to get regulars days off so it makes sense to me.

This enables Rocco to DH Vazquez without worry...:cool:

And just like last time, they call up Carmago to let him sit on the bench.
Maybe still in transit to the Bay and/or will be a late arrival?

My only insight on Carmago, he hit a towering 3-run bomb when I saw the Saints play the Mud Hens last month.

From that game, Lee (3-5 all 2Bs), Funderburk (picked up the Save) and now Carmago have made the step up to The Show. Wallner too, though all he did was draw a Walk.

Maybe still in transit to the Bay and/or will be a late arrival?

My only insight on Carmago, he hit a towering 3-run bomb when I saw the Saints play the Mud Hens last month.

From that game, Lee (3-5 all 2Bs), Funderburk (picked up the Save) and now Carmago have made the step up to The Show. Wallner too, though all he did was draw a Walk.

I'm guessing (maybe more hoping) that is why he isn't starting.

It's frustrating with Lewis, but you'd be selling a dollar for $.80 and a lottery ticket when there's a pretty big risk he's worth $10 at some point. All of these injuries are to different areas. There's no specific degenerative issue like Kiriloff with his wrist of even Buxton with his knee. Maybe he will always be injury prone or maybe his luck will change at some point.
At this point you have to assume he'll just always be injury prone. There is zero reason to kvetch over Lewis. He's under team control through 2028, and the situation will work itself out prior to that. He has to have minimal trade value at this point, so there's no incentive to move him. Just enjoy the time you have him in the lineup and don't worry about it. The only rub is he's eating a spot on the 40-man, limiting some team flexibility, but worth it for what you get when he's healthy.

21 year old infielder Keaschall with a 0.916 ops at AA.
Twins infield situation now and for the foreseeable future looks extremely good.

21 year old infielder Keaschall with a 0.916 ops at AA.
Twins infield situation now and for the foreseeable future looks extremely good.
He’s also now a Top 100 prospect (94) per MLB’s list as well, and I’m guessing he’ll be in Triple AAA before the end of the year, he also plays some OF.

Last edited:

I'm guessing (maybe more hoping) that is why he isn't starting.
Certainly possible, as the Saints were in Louisville last night and that's a long flight (Carmago didn’t play though). Probably depends on whether Farmer's injury is legit or something that mysteriously appeared.

Miranda go scratched, so if Carmago isn't there yet, there's very little bench tonight.

Last edited:

Margot has a terrible arm.
I’m old enough to remember when most OFs had decent arms, at a minimum. You really only see a Margot level arm with a speedster, usually inCF, like Mickey Rivers, but rarely in a corner OFer.

I wonder if these guys stopped putting in the work to build up their arms with long tossing and not working on it when they’re younger, enough.

His setup was horrible as well, he needs to be coming in on the ball, to get some momentum, and then take a crow hop.

Last edited:

I might be off, but they make a big deal about SF not having a 30 HR hitter since Bonds in 04.
I "think" the Twins went from 88 to 06 without having a guy hit 30+
Pretty comparable.

I’m old enough to remember when most OFs had decent arms, at a minimum. You really only see a Margot level arm with a speedster, usually inCF, like Mickey Rivers, but rarely in a corner OFer.

I wonder if these guys stopped putting in the work to build up their arms with long tossing and not working on it when they’re younger, enough.His setup was horrible as well, he needs to be coming in on the ball, to get some momentum, and then take a crow hop.
He’s facing death everytime a ball is hit to him in left field. Hoping he goes when Martin is healthy again, but not holding my breath

6 walks and letting the 9 hole go 3-3 ain’t great.

I'm shocked that DH'ing one of the three worst hitters in baseball didn't work out, Rocco.

I'm shocked that DH'ing one of the three worst hitters in baseball didn't work out, Rocco.
When you slot your DH for day in the 9th spot, maybe theres a problem with your decision.

Bad fielder. Bad hitter. Occasionally gets a single against a lefty. There's zero reason he should remain on the team over Martin when he comes back.
Margot has a .463 SLG and .829 OPS against lefties. The league average SLG is .396 and OPS is .708. He's been a very good player against lefty starters especially. That's why he's on the team and should remain on the team.

Martin is .333 SLG and .666 OPS against lefties, although with pretty minimal at-bats.

Top Bottom