All Things 2024 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

Lee won't get sent back down unless he really struggles. Which I don't see happening. Someone will get hurt or something.

I still think there's a chance Lewis ends up in the outfield. Maybe LF instead of CF.
Perhaps Farmer will suffer the same "injury" that Joey Gallo did last year.

I'd be pretty surprised if they moved Lewis to the OF during the season. Castro can just play more OF.

For next season, maybe. But there's less need then. I assume Santana won't be brought back and either Julien or Miranda will play 1B.

An infield of Lewis, Correa, Lee and Miranda could be pretty sweet and in place for a long time.
Some combo of Buxton, Keplar, Larnach and Wallner in outfield with Martin and Castro super subs.
If that group ever stayed healthy, could be pretty impressive.
Maybe Kiriloff as Miranda's back- up.
I'd be surprised if Kiriloff isn't traded by Opening Day 2025.

Yea, wouldn't shock me either. One of those left handed bats will be traded for pitching, I would think.
The kid Kueschall (sp?), playing 2nd at Wichita, is very valuable as well. Interesting to see what they do with him. Lots of highly thought of infielders. Think Julien figures it out at some point as well. Too good a swing to not.

at this point, he has zero trade value. maybe if he comes back and shows he can stay healthy for a few months, then he might be worth something. but right now - zilch.

If Julien tears it up for a couple of months in AAA, then he has more trade value. but at this point, Julien is behind Lee at 2B and behind Miranda as a long-term answer at 1B. plus, Julien is still not a gold-glover. he's gone from awful to adequate as a fielder, but his best position is 'bat.'

Perhaps Farmer will suffer the same "injury" that Joey Gallo did last year.

I'd be pretty surprised if they moved Lewis to the OF during the season. Castro can just play more OF.

For next season, maybe. But there's less need then. I assume Santana won't be brought back and either Julien or Miranda will play 1B.
I agree. I meant more long term he may end up in the OF. I don't see him as ever being a great 3B. His throwing motion is really awkward.

Once Lewis comes back, they should move Lee to 2B and Castro back to his proper super utility role. That will force Rocco to part ways with at least one of Margot or Farmer. Of course they will probably just send Lee down instead and cling to the vets.
I'd keep Lee at 3rd and move Lewis to 2nd or DH or wherever. Small sample, but Lee just seems to be steady over there.

I agree. I meant more long term he may end up in the OF. I don't see him as ever being a great 3B. His throwing motion is really awkward.
I tend to disagree with you on that. He was a SS all the way up so he obviously can throw OK. I, opinion only, think he'll make an excellent 3rd baseman.

Lee should definitely stay at 3B. He's better defensively there than Lewis is.

Lewis should move to CF. He and Buxton can split between CF/DH. Then you're not eating up two positions with guys who can't stay healthy.

Great article about Lee and his understanding of the intricacies of the game on the MLB App by the Twins Beat Writer, Park.

'The future is now': What Lee brings to Twins​

The original plan was for Brooks Lee to provide a glimpse of what’s to come for the Twins organization after the 23-year-old was selected as Minnesota's representative in the 2024 All-Star Futures Game -- set for Saturday at Globe Life Field in Arlington as part of the events leading up to the Midsummer Classic.
Instead, he’ll be half a country away, manning the hot corner for the Twins in San Francisco -- because he no longer represents the future.

“The future is now. He’s here,” president of baseball operations Derek Falvey proclaimed following Lee’s promotion to the Majors on July 3.

With Lee (Twins' No. 2 prospect, No. 13overall), being the quickest Twins first-round Draft pick to reach the Majors since Matt Garza in 2006, the thing that comes up when talking about him is not only his beautifully simple swing that has already proved fruitful at the big league level, but also the baseball awareness and intelligence far beyond his years that, as people always say, comes with being a coach’s son.

But what exactly does that look like on the field? And does that feel different to the Twins?

“You see it in almost everything he does,” manager Rocco Baldelli said. “You see it in pregame stuff just as much as you do during the game. If I came up with a play where I was thinking about something like that, I’d be shorting the truth, which is that you think it often.”

Here’s an example of how that came up in a recent play that might otherwise have gone unnoticed -- as the little things often do.

For this, let’s go back to the 10th inning of Monday’s 8-6 series-opening winover the White Sox. With one out, Chicago center fielder Luis Robert Jr. hit a ground ball to the left side of the infield and was retired at first base by a half-step by shortstop Carlos Correa on a bang-bang, but otherwise uneventful-seeming play at first glance.

Look a little closer, though, and you’ll see Lee -- playing third base -- take a few steps toward fielding the ball (where he would have had momentum toward first base) but actually peel off, do a 180, and start moving in the other direction. What gives?

“I was just thinking that I need to get back to third in case [Correa] wants to throw to me,” Lee said. “Because [the automatic runner at second is] a good runner, too. So just in case. He has a play, basically, on every play.”

Lee primarily played shortstop in the Minor Leagues (1,347 innings over 157 games, compared to 85 innings over 10 games at third), but he recognized this in a split second: Robert is a fast runner, so Correa might not have a play at first base. Lee would be the only option to cover third base in case Andrew Benintendi, the runner at second, took off.

All that made it natural -- and instinctive -- for Lee to stop in his tracks, wheel, and follow the advice he has given to the third baseman playing next to him whenever he has started at shortstop.

“Those are things that are very hard for a staff member or instructor to teach,” Baldelli said. “Those are things that are instinctual for guys. Some guys will, of course, learn -- learn through failure and from watching -- but he just has it already. He’s aware of everything. He’s got that.”
Baldelli also pointed to on a highlight-reel play in Sunday's game vs. the Astros, when Lee charged a bunt, fielded it barehanded and threw an off-balance laser to first to nab Mauricio Dubón, Lee exercised a level of control and restraint uncommon in most third basemen -- let alone one of his age -- combining that physical instinct with his natural intellect.

And that’s the sort of thing that excites Baldelli and the other baseball lifers in the Twins' clubhouse when they see Lee and Correa -- and their baseball brains -- partnered on the left side of Minnesota's infield.

“A guy who’s been in the league for a week, and a guy that’s been a star for a long time … they both have excellent field awareness,” Baldelli said. “They know what other people are doing on the field. They know everything that’s going on around them, and they can make judgments very quickly.”

Lewis should move to CF. He and Buxton can split between CF/DH. Then you're not eating up two positions with guys who can't stay healthy.
Don't think Lewis is a CFer. Maybe corner outfield but maintain 3rd is his best position as he doesn't have to move much there.

Skenes has a no no through 6 W/11Ks vs. Brewers thus far

Pirates phenom Paul Skenes sets rookie record, joins Nolan Ryan in history, but bullpen blows no-hitter​

🤯🤯🤯🤯🤯🤯🤯🤯

Pittsburgh Pirates right-hander Paul Skenes, who already made history earlier this week by becoming the first player in MLB history to be selected to the All-Star Game the summer after being drafted, made some more of it on Thursday afternoon in just his 11th major-league start. The rookie phenom tossed seven no-hit frames against the Milwaukee Brewers.
He's also the only player in Baseball Reference's database to have multiple six-plus-inning, no-hit starts as a rookie. In AL/NL history, he and Nolan Ryan are the only pitchers to record multiple starts of at least six innings in which they allowed no hits and racked up at least 11 strikeouts.

Thursday's start the second time this season Skenes had thrown at least six no-hit innings to begin a game. That tied him with Max Fried and Ronel Blanco for the most in the majors. Do note that Skenes did not debut in the majors until mid-May.

Skenes, 22, entered Thursday having compiled a 2.12 ERA (193 ERA+) and a 6.50 strikeout-to-walk ratio over his first 10 MLB starts. His seasonal ERA is now down to 1.90.

Last edited:

Happy Anniversary To the Babe made his MLB debut as a 19 year old pitcher for Boston, 110 years ago.

Last edited:

Not sure what the TV situation is in MN with the Twins, but there’s a discount now on MLB streaming for $47 for the rest of the season. It’s available either by downloading the MLB channel on your Roku or you can order it through Prime. I’ve had it on both and never had a problem on Prime, can’t say the same for the MLB channel.

Phils just swept the Dodger 🐶, for their 9 series sweep this year 🤯 - they had 7 all last season.

Not sure what the TV situation is in MN with the Twins, but there’s a discount now on MLB streaming for $47 for the rest of the season. It’s available either by downloading the MLB channel on your Roku or you can order it through Prime. I’ve had it on both and never had a problem on Prime, can’t say the same for the MLB channel.
I get it comped by T-Mobile. I thought it was strange that I could watch the Twins on my phone in Bellingham, WA & Vancouver, BC in May but on the other hand while I was in Chicago last week it was blocked.

I get it comped by T-Mobile. I thought it was strange that I could watch the Twins on my phone in Bellingham, WA & Vancouver, BC in May but on the other hand while I was in Chicago last week it was blocked.
Playing the White Sox?

Blackout?

Happy Anniversary To the Babe made his MLB debut as a 19 year old pitcher for Boston, 110 years ago.
Here's a link to the box score. Ruth went 7 and picked up the W in a Red Sox 3-0 win over the Cleveland Naps. Hitless in 2 ABs.

Other interesting tidbit, was the game took 1 hr 33 minutes to complete. I'm not sure how they fit in the commercials on NESN.

He only made 4 more appearances for the Sox that season.

Or we could trade him for some sweet prospects...

Or we could trade him for some sweet prospects...

Prove where I said to trade him for prospects, which I never have.

Lewis is the 'prospect' that should have been traded for a MLB player. Brooks Lee is a better 3B, and will pass him in MLB games played by early next season, even though Lewis got a 2 year head start.

Prove where I said to trade him for prospects, which I never have.

Lewis is the 'prospect' that should have been traded for a MLB player. Brooks Lee is a better 3B, and will pass him in MLB games played by early next season, even though Lewis got a 2 year head start.
Lewis has shown enough where you just have to risk keeping him

If it was during the Sox series, it was because we were playing a Chicago team. Have to protect both regional networks.

If it was during the Sox series, it was because we were playing a Chicago team. Have to protect both regional networks.
No. Last week. They were playing the Tigers, specifically the July 4th game, I thought perhaps Chicago was close enough to Detroit that it was blocked, but then it continued to the Astros games as I was trying to follow Miranda's ABs during the streak.

Unrelated, but the Big Neighbor 830 came in clear as a bell on my car radio in the western Chicago suburbs last Friday after sundown.

Top Bottom