All Things 2024 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

I don't understand how your philosophy can both include pinch hitting in the 4th inning to try and win the game while handling the pitching staff like they did tonight. Winder struggled during the 7th, throw him back out for the 8th and watch him give up 3 more runs.

And then pull Miranda from the game while facing a guy throwing mop-up duty. Why take his at-bat away now?
Twins were worried Miranda was gonna get hit after the twins hit astros tonight. I do agree with Winder and he can go pitch in town ball tomorrow. His major league career is done.

Winder was awful and Rocco's inexplicable love and over-use of Vazquez and Margot continue to cost the Twins.

There was some fan outrage when Arraez was traded too. If you're running the team the way the fans want you to, then you're going to lose. And despite the outrage from this offseason, the Twins are 10 games better than they were at this point last season, despite playing in a much better division, and without Lewis for 2/3 of it.

Lewis did help them end the playoff drought last year, but ultimately they still fell short. MLB trades are made with prospects all of the time, even damaged ones with a much less proven track record than Lewis.
The fan outrage was pretty minimal, if any on Arraez being dealt.The reality was in hindsight, they had other IF ready to go, including Lewis last year.

In the end, we are in disagreement as to what mythical value Lewis would have brought in return. It's unprovable either way for someone of his unique talent but injury prone.

I'm glad he's still on the roster. I hope he gets healthy and eventually they figure out a way he can play 135-140 games. Seems like he's also a positive locker room presence.

Twins were worried Miranda was gonna get hit after the twins hit astros tonight. I do agree with Winder and he can go pitch in town ball tomorrow. His major league career is done.
Makes sense. I hadn't considered that, probably because that's not something the manager would condone. Houston could bean the first three batters in the head today and the only action Baldelli would take is to walk over to the Astros dugout and apologize for the helmets being too big.

Pablo had another poor outing - but the bullpen came in and poured gasoline on the fire. Alcala couldn't throw strikes and threw a wild pitch that led to a run. Winder just doesn't have the stuff to get major-league hitters out, and Funderburk is erratic.

Margot also cost them a run with a bad error in left field.

in other news, sounds like Brock Stewart is closer to a rehab stint. getting him back would add a quality arm to the bullpen. Topa is also reportedly making progress. at this point, I'd take him over several of the other options.

and if you believe in miracles, Matt Canterino had an MRI and does not need additional surgery. so he will continue to rehab toward a mythical return at some point in the far distant future.........on that front, saw a note that Connor Prielapp may start pitching in the second half of the season. I don't know if this organization needs a pitching coach or a faith healer.

Expos second baseman Al Newman hit his only major league home run off Atlanta's Zane Smith on this date in 1986.

Atlanta first baseman Bob Horner, incidentally, hit four home runs in the game, with the fourth coming off Jeff Reardon. Expos won 11-8.

Ball has to look like it's sitting on a tee for Miranda right now. 11 in a row.
And starting tomorrow he might not get a hit for a week and a half. Baseball is crazy.

Lee goes yard for his first major league dinger 👍

Great to see Lee hit the ground running. There was a thought Lee was a high floor, low ceiling type of guy. Ceiling not looking so low at this point.

Want a ticket to a sporting event you paid for to commemorate watching a guy reach base for a franchise record time, give us $15.00. I hate this world of not having actual tickets.

And the streak unfortunately ends but what an accomplishment

nice win. good to see the hitting keep rolling after the 9th-inning outburst on Friday. Ryan serves up another HR, but otherwise pitched decently. and Sands with a decent outing, keeping Houston off the scoreboard. I'll even give Thielbar a little credit for a scoreless 9th inning. It would certainly help if Thielbar could work back to being a usable piece in the bullpen instead of a last resort.

now the Twins need to win the series on Sunday. Woods-Richardson on the hill for the Twins, while Houston is going with a younger pitcher who has struggled so far this season and walks a lot of hitters.

Gleeman is reporting Wallner was scratched from STP tonight and joining the Twins tomorrow. No corresponding move announced.
Did someone get hurt today, or are they finally done with Farmer?

My guess it’ll be Martin.
That's the conclusion I came to as well after giving it some thought, despite the fact that Martin is at .265, much faster and has more position flexibility.

Edit: They are putting Martin on the IL.

Last edited:

That's the conclusion I came to as well after giving it some thought, despite the fact that Martin is at .265, much faster and has more position flexibility.

Edit: They are putting Martin on the IL.

right Oblique strain is the official explanation. key word being "official."

interesting in terms of what it means for defense. Martin can play infield and outfield. Wallner is just an outfielder. Martin hits RH and Wallner LH.

So I suspect Wallner will do some DH against RH pitching and be part of the OF mix. Larnach is supposedly still dealing with some lingering foot issues, and had an odd fielding play Saturday where he seemed to - shall we say - not go after a ball with a great deal of urgency.

Hopefully this means we do not see Margot trying to hit against RH pitching any more.

St. Paul Saints shortstop Don Zimmer was leading the league in home runs when he was knocked unconscious by a pitch that fractured his forehead on this date in 1953.

He didn't recognize teammates when they visited him in the hospital two days later. He missed the rest of the season, but remarkably made major league debut a year later.

Zimmer of course went on to become the ultimate baseball lifer, continuing to wear a major league uniform as a coach into his 80s.

IMG_7250.jpeg

Hopefully Correa will be alright. Got beaned in the hand it looked like and has left the game

maybe it's a mirage, but Vazquez has been hitting better as of late. If he could become something other than an automatic out, it would certainly help the team's lineup.

meanwhile, Simeon Woods Richardson with another solid effort on the mound. had a rough inning in the 2nd, bounced back and was strong the rest of the way. then Staumont comes in and hits 101 on the gun.

OK, going to let myself dream a little bit - picturing a bullpen with Duran, Alcala, Staumont, Jax, and Brock Stewart all throwing upper 90's and into the 100's. then bring up Varland and have him throw all-out for an inning at a time. I'd buy that for a dollar.

Want a ticket to a sporting event you paid for to commemorate watching a guy reach base for a franchise record time, give us $15.00. I hate this world of not having actual tickets.
I went to Wrigley yesterday and saw the Cubs lose to the Angels 7-0, getting 3 hits and I don't think they even advanced a runner to 2nd base. I doubt there will be any clamor for a commemorative ticket.

Still a fun day. Great scenery, especially at Murphy's.

IMG_20240706_145322657_HDR~4.jpg

I went to Wrigley yesterday and saw the Cubs lose to the Angels 7-0, getting 3 hits and I don't think they even advanced a runner to 2nd base. I doubt there will be any clamor for a commemorative ticket.

Still a fun day. Great scenery, especially at Murphy's.

View attachment 32173
I need to get there again

Top Bottom