All Things 2024 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

On This Date in 2005: Reliever Jesse Crain wins his eighth-straight decision of the season, setting an American League reliever record by going 11-0 to begin his career.

The MLB record is 12 by the Cardinals' Butch Metzger who won one each in '74 and '75 and 10-straight in '76.

Our old friend/nemesis Tim Anderson was DFA’d today by the Marlins today, just 2 years removed from being an AS in 2022. He’s still only 31 😳, but was only batting.214.

Not the groin now. Royce does have soft tissue issues lately.

Can the twins afford an Uber from St. Paul to Minneapolis or does Brooks have to take light rail?

Last edited:

Not an encouraging quote from Royce on his health status:

"Probably not very optimistic, to be honest with you," Lewis told reporters on Tuesday about his chances of avoiding the IL. "I'm praying, but it's usually always horrible news. So we'll see."

I wonder if he needs to do some serious work on his core and legs to handle the rigors of playing so much.

He only listed at 6’2” 200lbs, so he should be able to easily add ten pounds in his legs/butt without compromising his speed/mobility and get a strong stomach also.

He’s such a great athlete/ baseball player, he likely hasn’t needed to do that kind of work before to compete and stay on the field; but may well need to do so for 130+ games. He also missed so much time when he was out with the knee injuries that also likely effected building up his body as well.

Next season I want to see you a chiseled 210-215.

Times for Brooks to step up and Farmer to go.

Last edited:

Max Kepler set a team rookie record with seven RBI in a 17-5 win over Texas on this date in 2016.

It was the 18th seven-plus RBI game in Twins history.

I wonder if he needs to do some serious work on his core and legs to handle the rigors of playing so much.

He only listed at 6’2” 200lbs, so he should be able to easily add ten pounds in his legs/butt without compromising his speed/mobility and get a strong stomach also.

He’s such a great athlete/ baseball player, he likely hasn’t needed to do that kind of work before to compete and stay on the field; but may well need to do so for 130+ games. He also missed so much time when he was out with the knee injuries that also likely effected building up his body as well.

It felt like the Twins were prudent in both bringing him back from the quad issue as well as his workload. Both injuries were just from running, which is an important basic task for a MLB hitter. I'm not sure being chiseled helps with those.

Bummer.

It felt like the Twins were prudent in both bringing him back from the quad issue as well as his workload. Both injuries were just from running, which is an important basic task for a MLB hitter. I'm not sure being chiseled helps with those.

Bummer.

He injured his oblique last year due to just running as well. He's just never going to stay healthy. He makes it around a month, and then hits the IL. Last year he played the month of June, then was injured on July 1. This year he played most of June, then gets injured July 2.

This is why I've been adamant they should trade him while he could return them a quality player/pitcher, especially with Lee waiting to replace him. That time is quickly running out.

Buxton and Lewis have/had hall of talent.

Unfortunately, their bodies are made of glass, and neither will ever come close to reaching that potential.

With Lewis' comments and the all star break a little more than 10 days away, I'd assume they play it safe and IL him until the 20th.

He injured his oblique last year due to just running as well. He's just never going to stay healthy. He makes it around a month, and then hits the IL. Last year he played the month of June, then was injured on July 1. This year he played most of June, then gets injured July 2.

This is why I've been adamant they should trade him while he could return them a quality player/pitcher, especially with Lee waiting to replace him. That time is quickly running out.
After the 2nd ACL, I don't think the return would have been that great or that he could even pass the physical to whatever team he was traded to.

3 more injuries in the past calendar year, even with his success at the plate, not exactly a "sell high" situation. Might even get in return another player with suspect health history.

Bummer.
Sure it does in my experience and from my knowledge studying the subject matter. Maybe try and reread what I wrote (bolded) prior to that comment

The repetitiveness of baseball/quick bursts required/number of games/ travel wear down the body; so it’s imperative to make it as strong as possible to withstand the wear and tear. A less fatigued body/muscles are less likely to become injured.

If you ever trained and transformed your body in HS/college or at an another point in your life, then it’s easier to understand the difference you feel in playing a sport, even at those levels.

I weighed 185 in 10 grade and was 210 when I graduated which enabled me to play in college - that was gained by working out 4+ times a week for three years: it’s a lifestyle.

If you add 10 to 15 pounds, then the chiseling is the effect😉. It certainly won’t hurt him.

Last edited:

as I've said before, people said a lot of the same things about Paul Molitor early in his career - always injured, couldn't stay on the field, etc. then Molitor figured some things out - along with a move to more DH duties - and he wound up having an excellent career. Lewis and the Twins' medical staff, trainers etc have to figure out a strength and conditioning program that can help to minimize the injuries.

if that means he winds up mostly as a DH, I'll take it if he can stay in the lineup.

and - word of caution - as of yet, I have seen nothing on Lewis' status. so he is not on the IL and no one has been called up from Triple-A to take his place.

I know that people tend to assume the worst - like how Correa had a broken wrist when he was hit by that pitch. only Correa was in the lineup the next day and hit a HR. let's see what happens before we panic.

After the 2nd ACL, I don't think the return would have been that great or that he could even pass the physical to whatever team he was traded to.

3 more injuries in the past calendar year, even with his success at the plate, not exactly a "sell high" situation. Might even get in return another player with suspect health history.

He couldn't pass a physical after the 2nd ACL? That is extremely unlikely. Could he pass a physical today? That's a bigger question.

I've been saying to trade him for at least a year now, to the ridicule of most on this board. He could have generated at minimum an Arraez like return last year, or in the offseason. The injuries this season were predictable, and they now likely missed their opportunity.

Twins calling up No. 13 overall prospect Brooks Lee (source)​

The Twins are expected to call up their second-ranked prospect, shortstop Brooks Lee, a source told MLB.com's Jonathan Mayo on Wednesday. The team has not confirmed the news.
Lee is ranked 13th overall on MLB Pipeline's Top 100 list and was a first-round Draft pick by the Twins in 2022. The move to bring him up comes in the wake of Royce Lewis suffering another injury that will likely require a stint on the injured list.

A switch-hitting shortstop, Lee moved rapidly through the Minors, starting his first full season in Double-A before finishing it with Triple-A St. Paul. He is known for making hard contact from both sides of the plate, though he showed more pop from the left side in 2023. He has seen some time at third base and second base in the Minors, so he can provide the Twins with multiple options in the infield.

He couldn't pass a physical after the 2nd ACL? That is extremely unlikely. Could he pass a physical today? That's a bigger question.

I've been saying to trade him for at least a year now, to the ridicule of most on this board. He could have generated at minimum an Arraez like return last year, or in the offseason. The injuries this season were predictable, and they now likely missed their opportunity.

Last edited:

Lee is in the lineup, starting at 3B and batting 8th. Smart move, he'll get plenty of protection with Vazquez hitting behind him.

Lewis to IL, Stewart moved to 60-day IL to clear a spot on the 40-man.

well, now we know. official word is a "right adductor strain."
recovery time depends on how severe it is.

Adductor strain recovery time depends on the severity of the injury, which is graded on a scale of 1–3:
  • Grade 1: Mild injuries with minimal muscle damage, such as minor tearing or stretching, can take up to two weeks to heal. Normal activities like walking may be possible within a few days.
  • Grade 2: Moderate injuries with partial tears can take 3–6 weeks to heal.
  • Grade 3: Severe injuries, especially if most of the muscle is torn, can take up to four months to heal.

Piece it together until the all-star break. Think they they have 1 off day between now and then, which will help. Maybe a bullpen game. Hope Paddock and Lewis back then and release Farmer.🤞

I'm not a physiologist nor kinesiologist but these are my thoughts.

Compared to many other sports, baseball is a relatively passive sport unless you are a pitcher or catcher. Jog out to SS or RF for 3-4 innings, maybe catch a routine fly ball or ground ball and then spend time between innings sitting in the dugout. Then an at bat which could be relatively easy on the body or require a sudden burst of physical energy. Then boom, something happens. Compare that to basketball, football, tennis, golf or even hockey which requires almost constant motion and activity.

Guys like Yogi Berra, Whitey Ford, Jim Kaat, Pee Wee Reese, etc probably didn't spend the off season in the gym getting ripped. The most weights they lifted were likely a case of beer, a couple bags of groceries or their kids. Yet most of them were seldom injured. Now the emphasis seems to be building muscle and body mass to become bigger, stronger, faster and often, as a result, more prone to injury. Today the IR lists for baseball far outweighs that of any other sport.

It seems to me that guys like Lewis and Buxton should focus more on flexibility, increased range of motion and stretching the muscles and tendons. I remember this from my college kinesiology course back in the mid-60's: Strength builds stability while flexibility builds mobility. Strength and flexibility need to be in balance and I wonder if the scale often tips towards strength.

Another important factor which may impede todays athletes is the Standard American Diet. The vast majority of us are far less healthy then the previous generations and a lot of it has to do with the decrease in the quality of food we consume.

I'm not a physiologist nor kinesiologist but these are my thoughts.
Thanks for your detailed/insightful post.

I never said I was either. I did say it was based on my experience in having transformed my body to compete at a higher level athletically (collegiately in my case) and studying training as well; from your comment, i infer that you haven’t had the same experience with your own body.
Compared to many other sports, baseball is a relatively passive sport unless you are a pitcher or catcher. Jog out to SS or RF for 3-4 innings, maybe catch a routine fly ball or ground ball and then spend time between innings sitting in the dugout. Then an at bat which could be relatively easy on the body or require a sudden burst of physical energy. Then boom, something happens. Compare that to basketball, football, tennis, golf or even hockey which requires almost constant motion and activity.
If you reread my post, I agreed in essence with your comment.
Guys like Yogi Berra, Whitey Ford, Jim Kaat, Pee Wee Reese, etc probably didn't spend the off season in the gym getting ripped.
Ahh, the good old days argument, you must have spent your formative years watching those guys play 😃

Interesting how you focused on getting ripped, when I already explained that was the result of adding weight to one’s frame; it is a colloquial term for working out, like getting jacked or shredded: if you do it religiously and with the proper amount of zeal, it will happen. It’s ahin yo a Jedi mindset, to enable one to keep training/transforming when everything is telling you to stop, cause it sux on many days.

The most weights they lifted were likely a case of beer, a couple bags of groceries or their kids.
I’m surprised you didn’t mention how the game has evolved: much more travel due to the expansion of baseball outside of the East coast and Midwest. Ball players, on average, are bigger, stronger.so they throw and hit, on average, much harder than their counterparts from the 50s-60s.

You also failed to mention greenies and how being hopped on speed was common place in baseball from after WW Ii, until it was banned, for obvious reasons in 2006.

Here’s some info on it from an article discussing its history/prevalence in MLB, in case you weren’t aware of its existence -

https://nypost.com/2007/01/12/greenies-at-a-glance/

Yet most of them were seldom injured.
This sounds like a recollection, so no data, correct?

I’m curious, was there any mechanism for reporting injuries then to the public?
Now the emphasis seems to be building muscle and body mass to become bigger, stronger, faster and often, as a result, more prone to injury.
Is there anything other than your opinion to support your argument?
Today the IR lists for baseball far outweighs that of any other sport.
I wonder how the length of the season in baseball, twice as long as any other major sport, impacts said injuries.
It seems to me that guys like Lewis and Buxton should focus more on flexibility, increased range of motion and stretching the muscles and tendons. I remember this from my college kinesiology course back in the mid-60's:

Strength builds stability while flexibility builds mobility. Strength and flexibility need to be in balance and I wonder if the scale often tips towards strength.
To clarify, if you are training Correctly, you are spending time on stretching and mobility: I could almost do the splits when I played (I was a first sacker) @ 6’0” 210lbs.
I shouldn’t have assumed that others would understand that -my error.

I was fortunate as my HS S&C coach/defensive coordinator had a mandatory stretching/warm up and cool down program after lifting; this was in the mid 80s, so he was ahead of his time. Stretching isn’t sexy, I was occasionally mocked for it, but it sure is effective.

If I was Lewis, with his access to resources he has, I’d spend ~half my time on yoga/pilates and the other half on adding strength/weight to his frame. At his age, it very easy to add muscle with a good off season program and then have maintenance during the season.
Another important factor which may impede todays athletes is the Standard American Diet. The vast majority of us are far less healthy then the previous generations and a lot of it has to do with the decrease in the quality of food we consume.
Based on what specific data (regarding their health)? I spent the majority of my business career in providing data to pharma companies, so I always ask why, when someone posits abl. opinion like this.

We certainly know more about nutrition now, than the players of yesteryear, but there is now, I’m guessing, far more pre- packaged processed food and of course, fast food has increased exponentially since it was introduced.

Last edited:

Harmon Killebrew hit the first inside-the-park home run in Twins history on the Fourth of July 1961.IMG_7203.jpeg

Top Bottom