All Things 2024 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

Rocco is soft. A team takes the personality of its coach/manager.

Win Twins!!
I get that the days of guys playing 162 are gone. But the Twins take it way too far the other way. It seems like most series the other teams have the same 4-5 guys at the top of their line-up every day. The best players are in there. The Twins? Nope. Everyone gets (at least) one day off per series with few exceptions. And it doesn't keep them healthier. They just find new dumb ways to injure themselves (Max).

Twins have played 75 games this year. here is how many games players have appeared in.

Castro - 75
Santana - 69
Margot - 65
Jeffers - 63
Miranda - 59
Julien - 58 (sent to minors)
Correa - 57 (spent time on IL)
Kirilloff - 57 (currently on IL)
Buxton - 56 (spent time on IL)
Kepler - 55 (spent time on IL)
Farmer - 53

Twins have played 75 games this year. here is how many games players have appeared in.

Castro - 75
Santana - 69
Margot - 65
Jeffers - 63
Miranda - 59
Julien - 58 (sent to minors)
Correa - 57 (spent time on IL)
Kirilloff - 57 (currently on IL)
Buxton - 56 (spent time on IL)
Kepler - 55 (spent time on IL)
Farmer - 53
Given the massive use of pinch-hitting, that's not surprising. I'd be interested in the # of starts.

Given the massive use of pinch-hitting, that's not surprising. I'd be interested in the # of starts.
Correa has started 56 of 57 games he's played in. Yesterday was his first time off the bench this season. He missed 16 games on the IL so he's started 56 of a possible 59 games. Besides Lewis, I really don't think it's a big deal with any of the other guys.

This week-end will be the last Twins series ever at the great Oakland Coliseum. Good riddance to a dump.

I don’t understand the twins willingness to always play shorthanded. Kepler couldn’t play after the first inning yesterday. Rather than just take Wallner with them on the road trip they are gonna play a man down for who knows how many games. Even if Kepler comes back who knows if he’s 100%. Wallner is tearing the cover off the ball and would be such an easy transition. If he stays hot then you have a decision to make after 10 days and either Margot or Martin goes. They are basically the same player so they don’t need both. I would keep Martin as he is in your future plans, but I am sure the great minds would keep Margot.

I don’t understand the twins willingness to always play shorthanded. Kepler couldn’t play after the first inning yesterday. Rather than just take Wallner with them on the road trip they are gonna play a man down for who knows how many games. Even if Kepler comes back who knows if he’s 100%. Wallner is tearing the cover off the ball and would be such an easy transition. If he stays hot then you have a decision to make after 10 days and either Margot or Martin goes. They are basically the same player so they don’t need both. I would keep Martin as he is in your future plans, but I am sure the great minds would keep Margot.
They love the IL "retroactive to" bit.
The logical move is to just tell Farmer thanks and send him on his way. Martin can do everything he does, and he's an OF too, and much faster.

Margot provides zero value aside from being mediocre against lefties. He has zero power. He's slow and not a good fielder or baserunner. There's zero reason to keep him on this team over Martin. Margot and Farmer need to go and Vazquez needs to catch one game per series and that's it. Sitting one the better catchers in the game half the time is so, so stupid.

as of Tuesday, Twins were 14-5 in one-run games. Now they are 14-8.

one-run games seem to be one of those stats that always comes back to the mean. a team may have a season where they do really well or really poorly in 1-run games, but it tends to even out.

for reference:
2023: 19-27 in 1-run games
2022: 20-28
2021: 25-19

FWIW -

Yanks are 2-6 in their last 8; .199 BA & 6.24 ERA.

Meanwhile, the Mets are on a heater in their last 10, going 8-2.

We’re still a game ahead of Boston for the third card.

It’s a marathon - pace yourself & stay hydrated 🤠

Last edited:

Example #843 why average fans like us shouldn’t be making decisions.
👍. I’m example #1-842 btw.

Sears is not a MLB pitcher at this point in his career; so that helped.

We need a get right game today; get rid of them negative waves.

Hopefully Ober can keep up his end of the deal today and give us a solid 6/7 innings.

Last edited:

Margot provides zero value aside from being mediocre against lefties. He has zero power. He's slow and not a good fielder or baserunner. There's zero reason to keep him on this team over Martin. Margot and Farmer need to go and Vazquez needs to catch one game per series and that's it. Sitting one the better catchers in the game half the time is so, so stupid.
He’s been really good when starting against lefties. He’s just not a good pinch hitter or against righties.

Top of the third and every starter has at least 1 hit, except for Santana

Last edited:

Jeffers is 3rd on the team in plate appearances and he had 94 more than Vasquez so far this season. This seems pretty reasonable as opposed to "so, so stupid".

To last all 162 and a potential post-season, I'm totally good with it.

Never seen a two base error by a first baseman on an infield pop up; no Glenn, there’s no way in God’s green earth that’s a hit.

Pretty amazing that Santana is only the 251 player in MLB history to play in 2000 career games - I thought it would be many more.

Top Bottom