All Things 2024 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

I was coaching little kid baseball, so I missed it, but did Margot really get a hit off a righty? I thought such a feat was impossible. Did Rocco crumple the spreadsheet and eat it?

As noted during the telecast, there are only ten teams playing above.500 ball at this point and three of them are in the AL Central.

I was coaching little kid baseball, so I missed it, but did Margot really get a hit off a righty? I thought such a feat was impossible. Did Rocco crumple the spreadsheet and eat it?

yup. he's looked a little better at the plate lately. and Vazquez came up with a double and an RBI.

story of the game was Paddack. He looked as sharp as he has all season. fast ball hitting mid-90's and he had some bite on the curve ball. the guy is a grinder. I just hope his arm stays attached.

apparently the reason Varland gets the start Tuesday is so they can push the rest of the starters back a day for some extra rest. If they had another reliable starter, I could see them going to a 6-man rotation at times to reduce the workload.

yup. he's looked a little better at the plate lately. and Vazquez came up with a double and an RBI.

story of the game was Paddack. He looked as sharp as he has all season. fast ball hitting mid-90's and he had some bite on the curve ball. the guy is a grinder. I just hope his arm stays attached.

apparently the reason Varland gets the start Tuesday is so they can push the rest of the starters back a day for some extra rest. If they had another reliable starter, I could see them going to a 6-man rotation at times to reduce the workload.
Manny was 5-14 on the road trip as well.

The Manny Marginalizers may well end up on their fannies soon, if this heater continues.

My guess with Paddack is that they will have to skip a start with him, plus have him go last after the All Star Break, to keep the workload manageable.

Margot is now hitting .375 with a 1.048 OPS over the last 14 days.

It would be nice to get a few guys hot at the plate. Kepler has been horrible, same with Buxton.

It would be nice to get a few guys hot at the plate. Kepler has been horrible, same with Buxton.
I'm a believer in hot streaks and confidence, especially when it comes to performance at the plate. There's room for him to be in the lineup every day until he drops off. Kepler was batting well over .400 for a two-week period earlier, but kept going to the pine every time a lefty started. That's the wrong approach, if you ask me. Be interesting to see if Margot is in the lineup tonight. I'd wager, it won't be at Kiriloff's expense, as they seem to put a pretty high value on BvP, and Kiriloff is 5 for 7 lifetime vs. Quantrill, with two HRs.

The platoon rules only apply to scrubs like Larnach and Kepler. Not polished vets like Margot.

Correra has looked really good the last 4 games; when he’s going to right frequently, he’s a next level hitter -he just doesn’t do it continually and gets pull happy.

I think Lewis’ presence will have a psychological effect on the lineup. Confidence like his is infectious; akin to Kirby yelling the boys to hop on his back in the WS; hard when you’re missing your Alpha 🐶

The platoon rules only apply to scrubs like Larnach and Kepler. Not polished vets like Margot.

What has happened several times with Margot - Opponent has a left-handed reliever in game. Margot gets announced as a pinch-hitter, and opponent makes a pitching change to bring in a right-hander. Because Margot has been announced, now he either has to hit against a right-hander or Rocco has to burn him and make another switch. every time, Rocco has kept Margot in to hit against the right-hander because (I assume) he doesn't want to make another change.

I'll never understand, your starter is humming along with a low 63 pitch count and you take him out for a reliever that basically gave up this game. Pathetic!

I'll never understand, your starter is humming along with a low 63 pitch count and you take him out for a reliever that basically gave up this game. Pathetic!
And that reliever has already been awful all season. It makes no sense.

It's mid-June. Time to cut bait with some of the past their prime vets and give the kids a shot. Enough with Farmer, Margot and Thielbar. They're all cooked. We're stuck with Vazquez but his usage should minimized. And put Kiriloff out of his misery and send him down already.

on Varland - at AAA this year, he's made 8 starts and thrown 40 total innings. not hard to figure the math - he's averaging 5 innings a start at Triple-A. The Twins got 5 really solid innings out of him in a major-league start - arguably his best outing of the year. how far do you want to push it? considering how he had been throwing at Triple-A, the Twins got everything they could have possibly expected and more.

the fact that Thielbar had a bad outing is on Thielbar - who has been decent overall. Thielbar had allowed runs to score in 3 of his last 17 outings. not perfect, but not terrible either.

on Varland - at AAA this year, he's made 8 starts and thrown 40 total innings. not hard to figure the math - he's averaging 5 innings a start at Triple-A. The Twins got 5 really solid innings out of him in a major-league start - arguably his best outing of the year. how far do you want to push it? considering how he had been throwing at Triple-A, the Twins got everything they could have possibly expected and more.

the fact that Thielbar had a bad outing is on Thielbar - who has been decent overall. Thielbar had allowed runs to score in 3 of his last 17 outings. not perfect, but not terrible either.
The pushback I got online when I complained about him getting taken out so early is that Varland has been bad the 3rd time through the lineup. Two problems with that. He had also been equally as bad the 2nd time through the lineup. And then they brought in a reliever that has been pretty bad all year. If the bullpen has been great overall, then I can understand the move.

Blackmon was the only lefty coming up too. Bringing in Thielbar there was an odd choice for a number of reasons.

I would push it until he started showing signs that he could not get the job done. This organization seems to be steadfast in its belief that past performance is a guarantee of future results. I really don't understand how you make much progress under that philosophy.

That may be true, but Theilbar's WHIP is just under 2, which is really bad. He's been bailed out a few times by relievers coming in to save him. Baserunners all over the place.

Sure Castillo is better but Jackson has veteran presence...

Top Bottom