All Things 2024 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

Much like Gardy with Nick Punto, it's not the players fault the manager plays him way, way too much.
I personally say it's more the "fault"/responsibility of the the management team that acquired Vasquez to begin with who happen to also be much more involved in the line-up decisions than Gardy's bosses were.

Last edited:

Worth noting that Vazquez has a better WAR in the second half than Jeffers.

I don't think anyone disputes that Jeffers is the better player, but howeda seems to think this works like a video game where you can turn off injuries and fatigue. Being able to manage Jeffers' workload is important.

Has Jeffers gone on the IL from exhaustion yet playing 2 in a row?
Could be coming. Vazquez wasn't expected back until Friday with the off day Thursday, but he's in the lineup tonight and Carmago is going back without appearing in a game. They must really hate him.

Guards already defeated the Whities today 6-4. Tigers up 6-0 after 1 inning against the Rockies.

I don't think anyone disputes that Jeffers is the better player, but howeda seems to think this works like a video game where you can turn off injuries and fatigue. Being able to manage Jeffers' workload is important.
What other team limits their top 10 catcher to 80, starts? Vazquez should start once per series not every other game.

I think I would have started Jeffers (or Miranda) instead of Lewis tonight.

Maybe 3 straight days of rest would have helped Royce out. First AB was feeble. Swung at a down and out breaking ball for strike 1, then bunted right back to the pitcher. With 2 outs.

Uffda.

Last edited:

Could be coming. Vazquez wasn't expected back until Friday with the off day Thursday, but he's in the lineup tonight and Carmago is going back without appearing in a game. They must really hate him.
Maybe they want to put what they perceive to be their best hitters in the lineup and work on getting them ready for the playoffs vs. giving an unneeded start to a backup catcher?

Additionally, it’s not like hews up here for a week+.

Maybe they want to put what they perceive to be their best hitters in the lineup and work on getting them ready for the playoffs vs. giving an unneeded start to a backup catcher?

Additionally, it’s not like hews up here for a week+.
This isn't an isolated incident. It's happened every time he's been up this year, including times when Jeffers and/or Vazquez were struggling.

This isn't an isolated incident. It's happened every time he's been up this year, including times when Jeffers and/or Vazquez were struggling.
Agree to disagree; he’s appeared in three games this season, in his previous call ups.

Sorry, but for me, I’d have to see specific data to feel the bolded is correct, otherwise it appears to be a convenient scapegoat.

Unless you’re related to Jair or his agent, this specific peccadillo seems to be off the beaten path, unless perchance it’s just another time to engage in the avocation of Rocco bashing.

You also never addressed by point about this call up and him not playing him this go round.

Last edited:

I think I would have started Jeffers (or Miranda) instead of Lewis tonight.

Maybe 3 straight days of rest would have helped Royce out. First AB was feeble. Swung at a down and out breaking ball for strike 1, then bunted right back to the pitcher. With 2 outs.

Uffda.
Turns out 1 off day was enough for Lewis. Perhaps he should go on the Jeffers schedule.

There was a note in The Athletic thst they plan on using Jax for two innings, when they find a good fit going forward; tonight was perfect with a quick 7th and in off day tomorrow.

There was a note in The Athletic thst they plan on using Jax for two innings, when they find a good fit going forward; tonight was perfect with a quick 7th and in off day tomorrow.
The Twins perhaps need to think about using Jax for 3 innings.

Duran is struggling putting hitters away.

LOL! Was fun watching him leg out that double, which most players could have moonwalked to second base for that one.
Yes, that one was good. I was referring to his retreating to first on Farmer's double. The Twins were fortunate both still made it to 3rd & 2nd respectively and eventually scored on Lewis double that was originally a Grand Slam but actually skimmed off the top of the padded wall in Left Center.

Last edited:

Yes, that one was good. I was referring to his retreating to first on Farmer's double. They were fortunate both still made it to 3rd & 2nd respectively and eventually scored.
Oh yeah I had almost forgotten that one. Almost looked bad news bears-esque.

I've seen it suggested by some that Jax should be made a starter next year. He certainly has the stuff for it. But it's hard to make a change when he's so good in his current role. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I've seen it suggested by some that Jax should be made a starter next year. He certainly has the stuff for it. But it's hard to make a change when he's so good in his current role. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Yup, Leave him where he is - who knows
maybe he ends up being our long-term closer?

Not sure why that’s required anyway; we really got six/seven for next season: Pablo, Ober, Ryan, SWR, Festa, Paddock and even Zebby (who appears to need some more development ~half-season in Triple A; needs a legit change up)

I read on The Athletic earlier this season that they considered moving Sands back to being a starter this season.

hey - if you're looking for something to listen to --

some of the Twins Daily guys have this podcast titled "Destination: The Show."

it focuses on the Twins' minor-league system.

starting this week, they're doing an end-of-the season review for the Twins top prospects. going to take 5 or 6 every week and do a deep dive on each one. worth a listen. they get pretty heavy into the analytics, but even an old guy like me could follow it. very interesting discussion on Emmanuel Rodriquez and whether he could make his MLB debut next year. also talked about Walker Jenkins, Brooks Lee, Keaschall, Matthews and Festa.

runs about an hour. worth a listen, in my book.

I’ll take any good vibes at this point, especially considering that likely no one expected him to be on the field again.
Here’s more reasons to be excited about Buck’s return based on data. I may not be the sharpest 🔪 in the drawer, but I know if he doesn’t play, there’s zero chance we benefit from any of this goodness -

And the Twins went 12-16 during that stretch, clearly missing Buxton’s game-changing impact on both sides of the ball. Even after sitting out the past month, Buxton still ranks second on the Twins in Wins Above Replacement, per FanGraphs.

He played 90 of the first 118 games, looking very close to his Gold Glove-winning prime in center field and hitting .275/.334/.528 with 16 homers to rank second among all MLB center fielders in slugging percentage and OPS behind only Aaron Judge.

Per Gleeman’s column in The Athletic

Top Bottom