All Things 2024 Minnesota Lynx In-Season Thread

gophersfan

Reaction score
Not sure if we have any fans of the WNBA. But the Lynx are on CBS right now.

Lynx coach Cheryl Reeve had goals when she built the team's roster this past offseason: add depth, particularly at point guard, and add players who can pressure the ball, hawk the ball, on defense.

"But until you get in the trenches, until you start playing, you don't now how it's going to turn out," she said.

Pretty well, at least so far.

Wednesday night's wire-to-wire 86-62 victory over the Sparks in Los Angeles was the Lynx's third consecutive win, improved their record to 7-2 and gave the team its best start since it began the 2017 season 9-0. Reeve earned her 307th regular-season victory, moving her past Bill Laimbeer into second place on the WNBA's all-time list..

Lynx beat the Seattle Storm at Target Center tonight 83-64.

Lynx beat the Seattle Storm at Target Center tonight 83-64.
McBride has been crazy good from deep this season and Collier might be the best overall player in the league that nobody talks about.

Last edited:

The Lynx are a top 4 team. In no particular order, the top 4 are New York, Las Vegas, Connecticut, and Minnesota.

The Lynx are one player away from truly contending again.

The Lynx had the #7 pick in the draft and they could have had Angel Reese, but they traded back to pick #8 and Chicago took Reese, with that 7th pick.

I have a feeling they did not want to deal with Reese, just a guess. Someone should ask Cheryl Reeve about this.

The Lynx had the #7 pick in the draft and they could have had Angel Reese, but they traded back to pick #8 and Chicago took Reese, with that 7th pick.

I have a feeling they did not want to deal with Reese, just a guess. Someone should ask Cheryl Reeve about this.

Probably a smart move in the long run. I wouldn't want to deal with Reese and her BS either, talent or not. There's something to be said for team culture.

maybe someone has seen this, but is there any update on Diamond Miller - the #1 pick from last year who is out with an injury? she averaged 12 pts a game last season. that would have given the team another solid option.

Probably a smart move in the long run. I wouldn't want to deal with Reese and her BS either, talent or not. There's something to be said for team culture.
I read that she has a Pat Bev vibe about her, and that's probably accurate.

maybe someone has seen this, but is there any update on Diamond Miller - the #1 pick from last year who is out with an injury? she averaged 12 pts a game last season. that would have given the team another solid option.
She's got 2 bad knees and can't shoot.

I wouldn't expect much from her other than a few bench points, anyway.

After the Lynx had whipped the two-time defending WNBA champion Las Vegas Aces 100-86 in their gym Tuesday night, after the Lynx had set season highs in points in regulation, assists (34), three-point makes and percentage (15 and 55.6%), and field goals made (37), Minnesota center Alanna Smithsaid it could get better.

"There's always room for improvement,'' Smith said. "We're never going to settle.''

So this is settling: all five Lynx starters scoring in double figures, ranging from Smith's 18 points to 14 for Napheesa Collier. Courtney Williams had nine assists, two steals and just one turnover to go with 15 points. Bridget Carleton went 5-for-7 on three-pointers and scored 15 points of her own. The Lynx assisted on all but three of their 37 field goals at Michelob Ultra Arena in Las Vegas.

This isn't settling. It's a statement.

"I think anytime we can come out and beat the defending champions, that's good for our résumé,'' Williams said. "That's how I look at it.''..

The 2 biggest differences between 2023 & 2024:

Collier is back from having a child, and the signing of Alanna Smith.

Minnesota rally to win over Los Angeles. 10-3 on the season. We didn't think they would be this good.

Lynx guard Kayla McBride, who is having the best season of her 11-year WNBA career, will turn 32 on June 25. She will be celebrating her birthday with a night out on the town in New York City.

The Lynx will represent the Western Conference against the New York Liberty at Barclays Center in Brooklyn that night in the WNBA's Commissioner's Cup championship.

"It was kind of a thing in the locker room,'' McBride said Friday. "Like, 'Get the bag on my birthday.' "

There is a chance to make some significant money. The players on the winning team can win north of $30,000. The game's MVP gets another $5,000. Losing team players get $10,000.

This is the fourth season of the Commissioner's Cup, and the first time the Lynx have played in the title game. The Liberty are the defending champs. Teams qualify by playing five regular-season games that count as pool games; the Lynx won the West at 4-1, and the Liberty were 5-0 in the East.

The Lynx, 9-3 overall entering Friday's game, were picked by many to finish near the bottom of the 12-team WNBA, and their fast start has created some buzz.

A spot in the Commissioner's Cup final "just shows where we're at as a team," star forward Napheesa Collier said.."

Top Bottom