All Things 2024 Daniel Freitag Recruitment Thread (Gophers Have Offered)

I get the feeling that several people here on GH will be mad if the Gophers improve this year or heaven forbid exceed even positive expectations. Let the season play out and the results will determine whether we are moving in the right direction or if another change is needed. The hate for our HC now is blinding.

There are a number of posters that have shown an unhealthy hatred towards Ben Johnson from the beginning.

It was the other way around, Ben didn't want Freitag. If Freitag didn't want to be here, then why did he still put the Gophers in his top 5?

I have a problem with why Ben didn't want Freitag, but also why a much more successful head coach did. Ben preferred Asuma over Freitag, but there's plenty of room for both on a roster that never uses all of their scholarships. Wisconsin also has a glut of guards right now.

Ben's recruiting philosophy continues to be to promise the world to a few mid level high school recruits and vowing not to recruit over them. He's worried more about keeping players happy than winning games, even though they can, and have left after 1 season. That may be a good way to land some recruits, but it doesn't build a winning culture or a competitive team, and that is the #1 reason why Ben is a failure.
If Ben wasn't interested in Freitag and Freitag was genuinely interested, that's a massive issue and I agree. We definitely have room on our roster to add 2 PGs much less these two who both could play off the ball too.

If Freitag wasn't interested but was using the U being in his top 5 to generate interest (the only people who really care are local), then I'm glad we moved on.

I have to assume we thought he wasn't interested. I hope I'm right. But you're correct, if I'm wrong. . . that's a terrible sign.

It was the other way around, Ben didn't want Freitag. If Freitag didn't want to be here, then why did he still put the Gophers in his top 5?

I have a problem with why Ben didn't want Freitag, but also why a much more successful head coach did. Ben preferred Asuma over Freitag, but there's plenty of room for both on a roster that never uses all of their scholarships. Wisconsin also has a glut of guards right now.

Ben's recruiting philosophy continues to be to promise the world to a few mid level high school recruits and vowing not to recruit over them. He's worried more about keeping players happy than winning games, even though they can, and have left after 1 season. That may be a good way to land some recruits, but it doesn't build a winning culture or a competitive team, and that is the #1 reason why Ben is a failure.
Wrong as usual. If Freitag showed the interest Asuma did Ben would’ve continued to recruit him. As Asuma was making monthly trips to campus and communicating with the staff Freitag was keeping his options open (including football). Commitment goes both ways.

Freitag has not yet to see the BB floor in a WI uniform.
Who knows what will happen in his year away from home?
Who knows what will happen to the WI BB program?
WI did not do well in the NIT tournament and played poorly in a poor league, so Gard has to be on a hot seat.
He may not even be at WI when Freitag is ready for college so there is little reason to be butt hurt over Freitag choosing WI.

If Ben wasn't interested in Freitag and Freitag was genuinely interested, that's a massive issue and I agree. We definitely have room on our roster to add 2 PGs much less these two who both could play off the ball too.

If Freitag wasn't interested but was using the U being in his top 5 to generate interest (the only people who really care are local), then I'm glad we moved on.

I have to assume we thought he wasn't interested. I hope I'm right. But you're correct, if I'm wrong. . . that's a terrible sign.

He was certainly still interested in the U for football, he was on campus for a visit less than two months ago. It's hard for me to believe that his interest in the U was only for football, and not for basketball until Ben stopped recruiting him, and decided on taking only Asuma.

There was very little chance that Freitag was going to play football, but PJ recruited him until the end despite having a much larger roster, and many more recruits to worry about. But the Ben excuse makers will still defend how he didn't have time or shouldn't have put in the effort. There's a reason the basketball and football cultures are the exact opposite of each other.

Suprised that not much to talk about how Freitag was sold saying they would not take another pg. Two things here, we took Asuma so maybe Freitag didn't want competition. Sounds kind of pathetic-ish to me. Iron sharpens Iron. Liked Frietags game but sounds like a loser mentality to me.

Top Bottom