All Things 2024 Daniel Freitag Recruitment Thread (Gophers Have Offered)

Per Shooter:

— Insiders say the Gophers halted recruitment of Bloomington Jefferson point guard Daniel Freitag, who is headed to Wisconsin, last March after they received a commitment from junior point guard Isaac Asuma of tiny Cherry High School near Duluth.

Go Gophers!!

So our 2024 class consists of a 3* ranked 169 in the country, and an unranked player? That'll help us get out of the basement of the B1G.

So our 2024 class consists of a 3* ranked 169 in the country, and an unranked player? That'll help us get out of the basement of the B1G.
If Asuma has a good hear I’m betting he gets a 4 ⭐️ ranking. Grove is gonna be a high 3 ⭐️ at the very least too. I tend to see a lot of kids that aren’t in the public eye not getting ranked until their senior seasons.

Does that mean I have confidence in Ben? No not really. But I do think the 2024 class is shaping up nicely so far.

he'll be the top ranked PG in CA this upcoming season. No shortage of west cost teams with more NIL than wisconsin. they'll point their bagmen to him. I'll be surprised if he ever enrolls at wisconsin

i also think wisconsin will finish in the bottom 4 again this upcoming season, making gard's position questionable

I get the feeling that several people here on GH will be mad if the Gophers improve this year or heaven forbid exceed even positive expectations. Let the season play out and the results will determine whether we are moving in the right direction or if another change is needed. The hate for our HC now is blinding.

But .... he's not a white kid from Lakeville, Woodbury, or Maple Grove!!?

Is Gard sure he has the right guy??

That’s how I remember it.
It always comes down to the same mental gymnastics Pitino defenders tried to pull off when you try to separate the recruiter from the coach.

You can't blame the coach for the lack of talent even though the coach is in charge of pulling in additional talent. You also count recruiting wins as positives even when they don't translate to wins. It's a weird game that was super common in the Pitino era too.

Side note - I don't blame Ben for not getting Frietag. We haven't been recruiting him for almost a year. I am assuming he made it clear he wasn't interested, so why waste your time if you're Ben? I have no interest in the U wasting their time recruiting kids that aren't going to come here. There is a bizarre thing with MN recruits and some fans where we think the local recruits should be entitled to endless courting that isn't going anywhere. We've been "friendzoned" by enough of these types, if they aren't interested, the staff should move on.

he'll be the top ranked PG in CA this upcoming season. No shortage of west cost teams with more NIL than wisconsin. they'll point their bagmen to him. I'll be surprised if he ever enrolls at wisconsin

i also think wisconsin will finish in the bottom 4 again this upcoming season, making gard's position questionable
Well he could very well change his commitment, this has to be sarcasm as he won't be the top-ranked PG anywhere. Matured early and hasn't continued to progress. He'll still be solid, but not the high-level recruit people were projecting when he was a freshman.

Well he could very well change his commitment, this has to be sarcasm as he won't be the top-ranked PG anywhere. Matured early and hasn't continued to progress. He'll still be solid, but not the high-level recruit people were projecting when he was a freshman.
Up high and down hard.

Side note - I don't blame Ben for not getting Frietag. We haven't been recruiting him for almost a year. I am assuming he made it clear he wasn't interested, so why waste your time if you're Ben? I have no interest in the U wasting their time recruiting kids that aren't going to come here. There is a bizarre thing with MN recruits and some fans where we think the local recruits should be entitled to endless courting that isn't going anywhere. We've been "friendzoned" by enough of these types, if they aren't interested, the staff should move on.

It was the other way around, Ben didn't want Freitag. If Freitag didn't want to be here, then why did he still put the Gophers in his top 5?

I have a problem with why Ben didn't want Freitag, but also why a much more successful head coach did. Ben preferred Asuma over Freitag, but there's plenty of room for both on a roster that never uses all of their scholarships. Wisconsin also has a glut of guards right now.

Ben's recruiting philosophy continues to be to promise the world to a few mid level high school recruits and vowing not to recruit over them. He's worried more about keeping players happy than winning games, even though they can, and have left after 1 season. That may be a good way to land some recruits, but it doesn't build a winning culture or a competitive team, and that is the #1 reason why Ben is a failure.

indeed. it may be that the 2024 pg class is weak, especially in CA. there are no 5 and 4 star pg in 247 for CA in the 2024 class. for now, 247 has DF as the top pg in CA, I'm all for the gophers passing on a fading player, especially if that player ends up a badger

Top Bottom