All Things 2024-25 Vikings Regular Season Thread

They are thin at CB. Better start watching the waiver wire - or hope that Booth figures things out in a hurry.

Fitting way to start the in-season thread.

Skol Vikings!!

Bleed!

Dude totally stepped on your toes here by beating you to the punch and firing up this thread. How can you stand for that!?!?! An incredible show of disrespect!

In all seriousness, I've mentioned it before but I'm going full on the record here; I think Darnold surprises a lot of people and plays some damn good football this year for the Vikings. It wouldn't surprise me if he starts for most or all 17 games. Book it!

Bleed!

Dude totally stepped on your toes here by beating you to the punch and firing up this thread. How can you stand for that!?!?! An incredible show of disrespect!

In all seriousness, I've mentioned it before but I'm going full on the record here; I think Darnold surprises a lot of people and plays some damn good football this year for the Vikings. It wouldn't surprise me if he starts for most or all 17 games. Book it!
I would not be surprised if we see a Geno Smith type of resurgence. QBs are destined to fail at places like NY (Jets) and Carolina.

I would not be surprised if we see a Geno Smith type of resurgence. QBs are destined to fail at places like NY (Jets) and Carolina.
Better be the greatest show on turf to keep up with the points given up by what will be a disaster of a secondary.

My gut feeling is Darnold sucks. I'm setting the O/U on games started at 6.5.

Hope I am wrong.

Hope I am wrong.

Even if Darnold does just start in the neighborhood of 6.5 games, I'll win both of my bets! I have a good chunk down on total passing yards for JJ McCarthy; the first one was Under 3100 and I liked it so much I bet it again a week or two later when it had already been bet down to around 2800 yards. I don't see any way at all he reaches either of those numbers.

Shit, if Darnold plays his way out of the lineup in the first month, Mullens will be in there before McCarthy, barring something miraculous

Even if Darnold does just start in the neighborhood of 6.5 games, I'll win both of my bets! I have a good chunk down on total passing yards for JJ McCarthy; the first one was Under 3100 and I liked it so much I bet it again a week or two later when it had already been bet down to around 2800 yards. I don't see any way at all he reaches either of those numbers.

Shit, if Darnold plays his way out of the lineup in the first month, Mullens will be in there before McCarthy, barring something miraculous
McCarthy could start 17 games and I’m not sure he would hit 3100. If I lived in Vegas too I would have taken out a short term loan to get in on that.

McCarthy could start 17 games and I’m not sure he would hit 3100. If I lived in Vegas too I would have taken out a short term loan to get in on that.

I hit it on May 16th, at 3100 yards; had time to think about it, and then I hit it again on June 15th at 2800.5 yards, with even more than the first bet. I don't usually like futures bets, that money just sitting out there until Jan/Feb, but what the hell.

If I'm not mistaken, at least on my betting app, they took his O/U for season yards off the board not long after my second bet. I haven't seen it the last couple times I looked.

I was listening to a gambling podcast recently that said on average the last several years, for season total bets in the NFL (O/U Yds, TD's, etc), the UNDER have hit around 62-64%, which is super high

I also took the Under on Geno Smith at 3645.5 Yards, and the Under on CJ Stroud at 4175.5 Yards. I would not be surprised to see Sam Howell playing a lot in Seattle before the season is over.

I did take Aaron Jones OVER on Rushing TDs; shit, it was only 4.5 TDs. He could have that by mid-October.

Hope I am wrong.

I agree. Darnold has been consistently bad over a large sample size. I'll take the under.

Wow, that was quick.

Vikings apparently have already cut John Parker Romo, the XFL kicker they signed in the offseason, handing the full-time starting kicking duties to Will Reichard, their drafted kicker.

Well done, Mr. Reichard!! Here's hoping this is a strength for the Vikings this year as opposed to recent years.

I don't think the Vikings would ever say this in public, but the only thing that matters this season is getting McCarthy ready to play. and by ready to play, I mean 100% ready to come in and run every aspect of the offense, read defenses, make all the necessary throws and do it with poise.

until he gets to that point, I don't expect to see him step on the field. So it's going to be Darnold at QB as long as he is physically able to play. if Darnold gets knocked out, then Nick Mullens takes over.

as far as the record - it doesn't matter. if Darnold somehow plays well enough that the team wins 8 or 9 games and makes the playoffs, that's great. but if Darnold stinks up the joint and the team wins 4 games, that's great, too. because it's all about McCarthy.

I see Justin Simmons is still unsigned. Go get him and move Cam Bynum to CB.

I believe the story is that the Michigan State coach (Saban I think) flat out told Denny not to draft him and he did it anyway.
Denny was always smarter.

Vikings owners not focused on extensions for Kwesi Adofo-Mensah, Kevin O’Connell​

Mark Wilf, one of the Minnesota Vikings’ co-owners, has no affinity for making headlines. Attention? Some NFL owners seek it, but Wilf avoids it.

He typically speaks publicly to reporters twice a year: once at the NFL league meetings in the spring, then again in Minnesota during training camp.

Tuesday was his day in front of the microphones, and his media session started with an interesting question: What is ownership’s stance on extensions for general manager Kwesi Adofo-Mensah and head coach Kevin O’Connell?

“It’s not something we’re talking about at this point,” Wilf said. “We’re focusing on the season ahead.”

One reporter followed up: “Not something you’re talking about publicly? Or not something you’re talking about internally?”

“Both,” Wilf replied.

The response was neither groundbreaking nor unexpected, but it was notable because of what it means for the 2024 season. Wilf would not go so far as to say the Vikings had to make the playoffs for Adofo-Mensah and/or O’Connell to keep their jobs, but he made it clear that he and brother Zygi will be paying close attention.

“Every year, pretty much, our goals never waver,” Wilf said. “(We want) to compete and win divisions and ultimately win Super Bowl championships.”

In their first two seasons, Adofo-Mensah and O’Connell posted a combined 20-14 record without a playoff victory. These aren’t the kind of results that typically would spur you to extend an executive or coach, but the circumstances surrounding Adofo-Mensah and O’Connell haven’t been optimal, either.

The Vikings’ salary cap situation has handcuffed their potential moves in free agency. Defensively, the roster was devoid of young, high-end talent. Yet even with one of the least productive defenses in the NFL by most measures, the Vikings managed 13 wins in 2022 with one of the most successful passing offenses in the league.

Skol Vikes!!

For whatever it's worth, the Vikings' beat writers claim Darnold has been very impressive, showing a great connection with JJ and Addison.

Supposedly, McCarthy has looked like he fell off the turnip truck. I'm liking Ogee's betting thoughts on our QB situation this season.

Top Bottom