All Things 2023 Minnesota Vikings Off-Season Thread

Vikes go 20 yrs without qb stability prior to Kirk and now want to throw it away. Ok.

The Cousins "stability" has led to the same # of playoff wins in 5 years as Case Keenum had in one.

Tell me that you don't want me to stay here, without telling me you don't want me to stay here.

If he actually had the option to go elsewhere, I can't see how he didn't take it. Knows he's gone after 23.

Keenum found a way to win that game, too. Kirk finds ways to lose big games.
My point is only that the Vikings have made the playoffs with plenty of mediocre QB's. They don't have to cling to Cousins. TJack and Ponder and Teddy and Keenum all got them there.

I'm just saying that I've been ready to move on from the Cousins chapter.

We're closing that book on those defensive guys, as well.

Time for a refresh.

I think the key to that whole story is the part where Kwesi and O'Connell supposedly want to see what they can do with a young QB on a rookie-level contract. because that is the real holy grail in today's NFL - find a good young QB and go to town in the early years of his contract before you have to pay him big $$ that eats up more of the salary cap.

nothing against Cousins as a person or a player - but it comes down to $$. If the QB is getting $35-million a year, that means less money available to sign other players.

and don't forget that Jefferson supposedly wants to be one of the highest-paid WR's in the NFL. that's $25 to $30-million. if you have JJ making $30-mill and a QB making $35-mill, that's a big chunk of your cap for just two players.

I think the key to that whole story is the part where Kwesi and O'Connell supposedly want to see what they can do with a young QB on a rookie-level contract. because that is the real holy grail in today's NFL - find a good young QB and go to town in the early years of his contract before you have to pay him big $$ that eats up more of the salary cap.

nothing against Cousins as a person or a player - but it comes down to $$. If the QB is getting $35-million a year, that means less money available to sign other players.

and don't forget that Jefferson supposedly wants to be one of the highest-paid WR's in the NFL. that's $25 to $30-million. if you have JJ making $30-mill and a QB making $35-mill, that's a big chunk of your cap for just two players.
JJ wants to be the highest paid non-QB, per a report I saw on ESPN - when you’re the league’s Offensive player of the year, the world is your 🦪

That raises a question in my mind at least: is it smart business to have the highest-paid WR in the league?

I am genuinely curious what people think. To me, a highly-skilled, top QB is generally worth more than a great WR. I'm not saying Cousins is a top-flight QB, I'm referring to a hypothetical situation.

JJ is fun to watch. But really gifted WRs seem to be easier to find and eventually replace than top QBs.

Last edited:

If I'm not mistaken, the cap is going to go up Dramatically in 2024 and 2025, which should offset a lot of the Jefferson money. They are able to get off Cousins next year relatively pain-free I believe.

Again, the talk about $35M/year for Cousins and all the hand-wringing that goes with it just seems so comical. Cousins is about the 10-12th best QB in the NFL and $35M is going to be about on pace with that. It's stupid to lose sleep over it.

Over The Cap: NFL Highest QB Salaries

This list has Cousins at #11, behind Derek Carr, Daniel Jones, Dak Prescott, Kyler Murray, among others; all of which you could argue Cousins is better than; and that's BEFORE Joe Burrow, Justin Herbert and Trevor Lawrence get paid.

If I'm not mistaken, the cap is going to go up Dramatically in 2024 and 2025, which should offset a lot of the Jefferson money. They are able to get off Cousins next year relatively pain-free I believe.

Again, the talk about $35M/year for Cousins and all the hand-wringing that goes with it just seems so comical. Cousins is about the 10-12th best QB in the NFL and $35M is going to be about on pace with that. It's stupid to lose sleep over it.

This list has Cousins at #11, behind Derek Carr, Daniel Jones, Dak Prescott, Kyler Murray, among others; all of which you could argue Cousins is better than; and that's BEFORE Joe Burrow, Justin Herbert and Trevor Lawrence get paid.
Yep, sign him to a long term deal, and while it will seems nuts now, it will be a bargain later.

Of course, he'll probably want to redo his contract.

Thank you for this. Logical, well-reasoned, and filled with factual information.

Also, you make an excellent point about all the Minnesotans' hand-wringing over Cousins' $35 million. It is, as you point out, comical.

It probably makes the most "business sense" to not do what it actually takes to win the Super Bowl, when you really analyze it.

It probably makes more "business sense" to just be above average, steady, aim for 10 wins a year, if you win a playoff game great, if not no big deal.

Make the most long-term revenue, avoiding the risk of a huge build up to win it all followed by a big let down.

I'm glad we're not purely in it for the "business sense".

Win the big one in our lifetimes. That should be the only goal that exists. Nothing else moves the needle.

We just won the division and won 13 out of 17 regular season games. Whoopty F'ing doo.

It probably makes the most "business sense" to not do what it actually takes to win the Super Bowl, when you really analyze it.

It probably makes more "business sense" to just be above average, steady, aim for 10 wins a year, if you win a playoff game great, if not no big deal.

Make the most long-term revenue, avoiding the risk of a huge build up to win it all followed by a big let down.

I'm glad we're not purely in it for the "business sense".

Win the big one in our lifetimes. That should be the only goal that exists. Nothing else moves the needle.

We just won the division and won 13 out of 17 regular season games. Whoopty F'ing doo.

Okay. Lets' assume the only mission that matters is winning 'The Big One'.

With that one, crucial goal in mind, is it wise to have a wide receiver taking up the biggest chunk of salary cap on your roster? Is that the best path forward to winning 'The Big One'?

My worthless opinion is that, of all the realm of possible paths the Vikings could choose from this point going forward -- they should choose paths that have them giving JJ what he wants and getting rid of Kirk C as soon as possible.

That comes with zero guarantee, just like anything.

I like our new GM and HC, though. I think they can get it done.

My worthless opinion is that, of all the realm of possible paths the Vikings could choose from this point going forward -- they should choose paths that have them giving JJ what he wants and getting rid of Kirk C as soon as possible.

That comes with zero guarantee, just like anything.

I like our new GM and HC, though. I think they can get it done.

If we 'get rid of' Kirk Cousins, we'll need a QB to replace him. If JJ gets the huge salary, then the replacement QB will likely be a rookie.

I have to wonder if having a rookie QB starting for the Vikings in 2024 will be a good thing for a WR like JJ. It is beginning to look like we might find out.

JJ has offensive player of the year. He'll have as much money as he could possibly get.

Not going to win MVP unless we win the Super Bowl. :)

Not much left to do but go win it all baby! Barring tragic injury (and maybe still anyway), he's safe for the HoF.

Top Bottom