All Things 2023 Minnesota Vikings Off-Season Thread

saw some stats in a Randball column in the Strib. the analytics for Thielen really took a dive last year.

Last season there were 40 receivers who were targeted at least 93 times. Among those 40 most targeted receivers, Thielen ranked dead last in receiving yards per route run at 1.08, per Pro Football Focus.

By comparison for Thielen, he averaged 1.63 yards per route in 2021, 1.86 in 2020 and 2.10 in 2018 — his best season in the NFL when he finished with 1,373 yards.

One other comparison: Thielen averaged just 2.7 yards of separation from his defender in 2022, down from 3.1 yards in 2021. If you're not as open — perhaps as a result of having lost a step through age, injury or both — you aren't going to have the ball thrown your way as much.

KJ is a clear #2. Hock #3.

As far as an actual #2/#3 receiver (depending on how you want to do it, with KJ wide or in the slot), I don't know if anyone on the roster is ready to step up or if they'll have to sign a FA?

In a perfect world, somehow Raegor would've shown something and had a breakout. But I don't think he did enough for the team to risk that with him.
If some of the defenders are off the board that they like, I won't be shocked in the least if they go wide receiver with the first pick

If no one offers a lot for theilen, he could always be signed back. I doubt it, but it's possible.

Harrison Smith and Cook might, and should, be next.
They also need to release Zedarius Smith. I know his contract's not huge, but he'll never be healthier than he was last year, and still had half a sack the entire 2nd half of the season.

Trade idea floated by Paul Allen.

Vikings trade Cousins and the 23 pick to Houston for the number 2 and 12 pick. The Vikings are trying to trade up in the draft so they can take a QB. Will it happen not sure. But Vikings doing what it can to trade up.

Vikings trade Cousins and the 23 pick to Houston for the number 2 and 12 pick. The Vikings are trying to trade up in the draft so they can take a QB. Will it happen not sure. But Vikings doing what it can to trade up.

Seems ridiculous to me, but PA is very careful with his relationship with players. I can't believe he'd throw something like that out there without there being some kind of steam of Cousins being gone.

Thought the bears would get more (no pun intended). Good move to trade out of number one. If Fields is bad again they should get a very high pick next year too. Maybe the Carolina pick will be high as well giving them ammo to move up higher. If you don’t have a qb to take number one, might as well trade out. Unless of course there is an exceptional position player to take at one.

Thought the bears would get more (no pun intended). Good move to trade out of number one. If Fields is bad again they should get a very high pick next year too. Maybe the Carolina pick will be high as well giving them ammo to move up higher. If you don’t have a qb to take number one, might as well trade out. Unless of course there is an exceptional position player to take at one.
True. This doesnt necessarily mean they are all in on Fields, they clearly weren't in love with any of this years QBs. Good to get what they could and get out of that #1 spot.

Good for the Vikings that the Bears are rolling with Fields for at least this season.

This wouldn't be the craziest move. Cousins is a very solid reliable durable QB who is NOT locked into a long term contract. Hes a very tradeable asset. I kinda doubt it happens but it could. A team trading for him isn't locked into a long term commitment

Impressive haul and got their #1 WR and now they can use this season to see if Fields is the guy or not and maybe grab another WR, so he has some half decent options to throw to.
Is Moore a number one? Don’t know much about him. Stats aren’t too impressive. Again don’t know much about him.

Is Moore a number one? Don’t know much about him. Stats aren’t too impressive. Again don’t know much about him.
A Report I saw says he is and will be for him -
First round pick
All Rookie Team
Already has 5k receiving yards in five years and in seasons 2-4 he has 1150+ receiving yards
With Sam Darnold as the QB

So my daughter is a dental assistant and had a patient come in the other day. Old guy, pushing his walker. They wear masks at the facility and she asked the old guy if he needed one. He said he has his own and proceeded to put on a purple one with the Vikings logo. When she sees the old guy’s mask, she asks if he’s a Viking fan. He laughs and never gives her an answer. The dentist then tells my daughter it was a very cute joke asking him that. Of course it was Bud Grant and she had no clue.
Years ago she spent an entire afternoon with Rod Carew and his little nephew, my daughter’s classmate, at Twinsfest without realizing who he was until she returned home.

Hmmm, and a few days later…

Skol Bud!!

That would be highway robbery if Vikings got away with that lol

FWIW - Doogie on Skor North says he's hearing that the Vikings are likely going to release Harrison Smith. reading between the lines, sounds like Smith wants more $$ than the Vikes are willing to pay. this is starting to feel like a fairly major revamp - if not a full 'rebuild.'

Doogie also says Vikes want as much cap room as possible in '24 - which could mean they let Cousins play out his contract in '23 and maintain all their options for '24.

FWIW - Doogie on Skor North says he's hearing that the Vikings are likely going to release Harrison Smith. reading between the lines, sounds like Smith wants more $$ than the Vikes are willing to pay. this is starting to feel like a fairly major revamp - if not a full 'rebuild.'

Doogie also says Vikes want as much cap room as possible in '24 - which could mean they let Cousins play out his contract in '23 and maintain all their options for '24.

I've seen mention of this as well; the Vikings FO is making a very concerted effort to not commit very much money to 2024 and beyond. Whether it's with anything specific in mind or not is anybody's guess but they aren't kicking a bunch of money down the road just yet.

Maybe they have big FA plans in the next few weeks to commit all kinds of 2024 and 2025 money?

Move on from Captain - good is the enemy of better yada yada yada

Top Bottom