All Things 2023 Minnesota Vikings Off-Season Thread

I'm trying to guess how most NFL teams would respond to having a 13-win season while fielding the 31st-ranked defense.

Obviously, dump the QB and burn it all down and start over would be a popular choice.
I wonder how much less heat Cousins would be getting if on his last past attempt he threw and incomplete pass to double covered Jefferson instead of a check down toss to Hockenson, short of the sticks.

I get where you're going, but San Fran doesn't have a 1st round pick this year, and will Lance even be healthy at the beginning of next season?

If the Vikings made that move, it would be purely to tank, which I don't think they have any interest in, and then they would likely draft a QB anyways.
The Wilf's won't let them tank even if Kwesi/Kevin wanted to. Cut/trade the fossils on D along with Cook and Thielen and get younger. The D can't really get worse.

Pretty strong candidate for the position. If it pans out, it's hard to say they could have done any better.

But goodness gracious, the anti 3-4 defensive geniuses on the board are going to absolutely lose their minds over this one, no?

on the QB -if you want a starter, you'd better get him in the 1st or 2nd round.

Did some checking - vast majority of starting QB's were taken in the 1st round

of starting NFL QB's taken outside of the 1st round, here are a few
2nd round - Jalen Hurts, Derek Carr, Jimmy G., Andy Dalton
3rd round - Russ Wilson, Nick Foles
4th round - Kirk Cousins

Sean Mannion, the Vikes' backup - 3rd round.

Pretty strong candidate for the position. If it pans out, it's hard to say they could have done any better.

But goodness gracious, the anti 3-4 defensive geniuses on the board are going to absolutely lose their minds over this one, no?

I don't think anyone who's realistic is going to lose their mind. Flores is a good coach. KOC decided that the 3-4 was going to be their base defense when he was hired. That was always going to be a multi-year transition, and he wasn't going to change his mind after 1 season.

Flores and Pettine. Flores is interviewing for Broncos DC on Tuesday and a 2nd interview for Cardinals HC Wednesday. We're going to be stuck with Pettine.
You know, am I the only one who feels like you’ve been wrong more often than not with your usual MO of “in first with the worst case”? :)

The Vikings are fortunate that the AZ Cardinals HC position and the franchise in general is such a dumpster fire, with Kyler Murray at the center of it, that it more than likely made Flores shy away from taking that gig.

Cardinals HC is apparently now narrowed down to Benals DC Lou Anarumo and Giants OC (and former Northwestern QB) Mike Kafka.

The Vikings are fortunate that the AZ Cardinals HC position and the franchise in general is such a dumpster fire, with Kyler Murray at the center of it, that it more than likely made Flores shy away from taking that gig.

Cardinals HC is apparently now narrowed down to Benals DC Lou Anarumo and Giants OC (and former Northwestern QB) Mike Kafka.
I'd rather have Mike Zimmer than anyone on that list.

ESPN mock draft:

23. Minnesota Vikings

Drew Sanders, ILB, Arkansas

Another year with an early playoff exit despite regular-season dominance should have the Vikings back to the drawing board in terms of the roster build and what is needed to get over the hump. One area multiple NFL scouts have pointed to is the play and age at linebacker. Jordan Hicks and Eric Kendricks will play next season at 31, and only two teams allowed more yards per play (5.9) in 2022.

Sanders transferred from Alabama and immediately became a defensive leader at Arkansas. When I visited the school last fall, the defensive staff raved about his instincts and toughness. He became a three-down player with 9.5 sacks, 1 interception, 2 forced fumbles and 111 tackles in his first season as a starter. The 6-5, 232-pound junior is still developing as a linebacker but has the potential to be a force in the NFL.

Skol Vikes!!

Flores when he was hired in Miami:

“I’m unable to say I’m 3-4 or 4-3. I’m not wired that way. You have to be scheme versatile. We want to do that. Each game is different. Each opponent is different. Their strengths, their weaknesses are different every week, so every week we’re coming up with a different plan. A lot of that is tied to who you have personnel-wise, what we can do versus what they can do. It could be different every week. I think in this game, you have to be multiple. If you sit in one thing, the coaches are too good. They’ll find a weakness; they’ll take advantage of it. I think you have to be multiple and we’re going to try to do that.”

(y)
(y)

Obviously, dump the QB
35 year old who is a statue, in a league dominated by mobile QBs, and who still, even in the best year of his career, leaves fans with a very sour taste in their mouth on the last play of the season by reverting to his career MO: wilts under pressure.

That said, if Wilfs think 2023 can be as good or better than 2022, they'll keep him. And I would guess more likely than not, they'll do that.

Unless the trade is too good to refuse.

Also again, who says that Cousins wants to end his career in Minnesota?? Doesn't he actually want to try to get to a Super Bowl somewhere??

Also again, who says that Cousins wants to end his career in Minnesota?? Doesn't he actually want to try to get to a Super Bowl somewhere??
He could just as easily be driven by $$$$ as SB Rings.

ESPN mock draft:

23. Minnesota Vikings

Drew Sanders, ILB, Arkansas

Another year with an early playoff exit despite regular-season dominance should have the Vikings back to the drawing board in terms of the roster build and what is needed to get over the hump. One area multiple NFL scouts have pointed to is the play and age at linebacker. Jordan Hicks and Eric Kendricks will play next season at 31, and only two teams allowed more yards per play (5.9) in 2022.

Sanders transferred from Alabama and immediately became a defensive leader at Arkansas. When I visited the school last fall, the defensive staff raved about his instincts and toughness. He became a three-down player with 9.5 sacks, 1 interception, 2 forced fumbles and 111 tackles in his first season as a starter. The 6-5, 232-pound junior is still developing as a linebacker but has the potential to be a force in the NFL.

Skol Vikes!!
This is the first one I've seen say they take a LB. Mostly been DL and CB and even WR. I think it's gotta be defense.

My guess is they will try to move down if they can to pick up more picks.

I think he'll be a 3-4 OLB pass rusher.
Better be at 23 overall. Taking an ILB at 23 unless he is an absolute game-changer is a total waste. Much like interior O-lineman, you can get perfectly cromulent ILB's every year in rounds 2/3/4.

Better be at 23 overall. Taking an ILB at 23 unless he is an absolute game-changer is a total waste. Much like interior O-lineman, you can get perfectly cromulent ILB's every year in rounds 2/3/4.

Totally agree. They need to take a DL/pass rushing linebacker in the 1st round, or a CB. Everything else can be found in the later rounds.

Totally agree. They need to take a DL/pass rushing linebacker in the 1st round, or a CB. Everything else can be found in the later rounds.
I've seen some, including Phil Mackey, say they should trade Thielen and then replace him with a WR in the 1st round.

You don't draft a #2 WR in the 1st round. Crazy. I'm not against trading or dropping Thielen and drafting a WR, but you pick someone in later rounds.

I've seen some, including Phil Mackey, say they should trade Thielen and then replace him with a WR in the 1st round.

You don't draft a #2 WR in the 1st round. Crazy. I'm not against trading or dropping Thielen and drafting a WR, but you pick someone in later rounds.

I mostly agree unless Jaxon Smith-Njigba is available. I think he'll be a star and one of the safer picks at that point. Having 2 elite WR's would be huge for Cousins and a future young QB. It would be similar to having Chase and Higgins in Cincinnati.

Top Bottom