All Things 2023 Minnesota Vikings In-Season Thread

What are you confused about? They are two separate decisions. The Vikings were in contention, not sell mode, so they didn't trade him. It may have been a wrong choice in hindsight but it's understandable why they didn't trade him.

For 2024, if, (IF) they decide to roll with a rookie QB, it probably doesn't make sense to try and sign Hunter to a massive contract. If Hall or Dobbs plays very well the rest of the season or they bring back Kirk at a discount and they think they can compete in 2024, then bringing back Hunter makes more sense.
Why the hell would they think they couldn't compete with Kirk back?

If they then bring Kirk back, you say then bringing back Hunter makes sense.

I just got lectured that they can't bring them back.

I'm going to drop this, but it's starting to make me laugh.

Hunter should've been dealt at the deadline. I don't care what the optics would've been. There isn't a single fan that believed we had any legitimate playoff aspirations without Cousins.

Having that extra FRP or SRP would've been a huge asset used to move up and grab a QB. I actually agree with you on this take.

Obviously if they bring Kirk back they're trying to win in 2024. If they bring Kirk back at $40 million, they can't afford to keep Hunter and sign JJ. If they bring Kirk back at $20 million, they might be able to.

I'm sorry the salary cap is too hard for you to grasp, so you pretend it's fake.

Obviously if they bring Kirk back they're trying to win in 2024. If they bring Kirk back at $40 million, they can't afford to keep Hunter and sign JJ. If they bring Kirk back at $20 million, they might be able to.

I'm sorry the salary cap is too hard for you to grasp, so you pretend it's fake.
Can you move money around to sign them both. You just said they very well could sign both, after saying they couldn't.

Are there any cuts they could make to create some room.

I'm still laughing. You are saying they could sign them all, and that's what I said.

Something with me not understanding the cap, though. LMAO

Can you move money around to sign them both. You just said they very well could sign both, after saying they couldn't.

Are there any cuts they could make to create some room.

I'm still laughing. You are saying they could sign them all, and that's what I said.

Something with me not understanding the cap, though. LMAO
No. Not realistically. As I said, Cousins ALREADY has $26 million in dead $$ next year. If you then sign him for $40 million and give JJ the biggest non-QB contract, can you then ALSO give Hunter one of the largest non-QB contracts? No. You can't. The math won't work unless you start cutting/trading every other player who makes more than $5 million or something. Do want to trade Darrisaw and O'Neil and Hockinson and cut Harrison Smith to make it happen?

Mock draft time peoples, via The Athletic -

And with the projected 20 pick in the draft, the Vikings select -

20. Minnesota Vikings: Jer’Zhan Newton, DT, Illinois​

With his lack of size, Newton isn’t a consensus first-round pick — some teams believe he is more of a second-rounder. But given his disruptive nature while playing a high number of snaps, he offers a ton of value, especially in a lackluster defensive tackle class.

A couple of other relevant notes -
No Nubin in the first round of course
Jayden Daniel’s is slated at 7 to the Bucs, third QB in the board - someone in the recent past posted he’d be available for the Vikes in the second round

talkathon has us taking Penix Jr. With JJ McCarthey going two picks later

They have Nubin going to the packers in round 2

None of these will happen, but it's always fun to speculate.

Pretty good listen today on Locked On Vikings podcast with Luke Braun (I think that's his name?). I listen most days, he's really good, pretty young kid but very smart. Sometimes gets a little too deep in the weeds on schemes and technique, etc but overall really good.

Anyway, after looking at the body of evidence, the gist of his take today is that you either change the offense for Dobbs and stick with him, or you roll with either Hall (his first choice) or Mullens, both of whom are very well in tune with the offense, the timing, the routes, protections, etc. and keep running the "Cousins offense". Basically, trying to make Dobbs run the current offense is a big fat waste of time and a futile exercise.

I agree with him 100%.

Pretty good listen today on Locked On Vikings podcast with Luke Braun (I think that's his name?). I listen most days, he's really good, pretty young kid but very smart. Sometimes gets a little too deep in the weeds on schemes and technique, etc but overall really good.

Anyway, after looking at the body of evidence, the gist of his take today is that you either change the offense for Dobbs and stick with him, or you roll with either Hall (his first choice) or Mullens, both of whom are very well in tune with the offense, the timing, the routes, protections, etc. and keep running the "Cousins offense". Basically, trying to make Dobbs run the current offense is a big fat waste of time and a futile exercise.

I agree with him 100%.
I can't see the logic of going with Mullens but I fear that's what KOC will do. He might give you the best chance to get to 9-8, but should that be the most important thing now? They likely won't win a play-off game and they certainly won't win two. I'd much rather see what Hall has and let the wins and losses fall where they may.

I can't see the logic of going with Mullens but I fear that's what KOC will do. He might give you the best chance to get to 9-8, but should that be the most important thing now? They likely won't win a play-off game and they certainly won't win two. I'd much rather see what Hall has and let the wins and losses fall where they may.

I agree.

I have to wonder: if they don't play Hall to see what they have in him, could that mean they've already decided he isn't their future QB?

I agree.

I have to wonder: if they don't play Hall to see what they have in him, could that mean they've already decided he isn't their future QB?
Maybe. But in limited action in Atlanta he at least looked competent. And he has a chance to be a pocket QB with some mobility instead of all one or the other like Mullens and Dobbs.

100%. The staff seems to really like Hall, we'll find out soon enough. Two full weeks to prepare as the starter (if indeed that's the direction they go) is a lot more than what Hall had to prepare for his last start.

Side note: For anyone that still thinks Fields can be a viable NFL "franchise QB", they should look at that Vikings tape, especially the last drive. There were 2-3 consecutive plays where the Vikes pass rush had the discipline to stay in their lanes and NOT collapse the pocket, purposely keeping Fields in the pocket. I don't think I've ever seen a more anxious, panicked and confused QB in my life. It was embarrassing, I literally felt bad for him.

Two more fumbles and 0 TD's and there will still be Bears fans who clamor for this failed experiment to continue. God love 'em...

Per The Athletic (odds to make the playoffs) -
Packers- 67%
Vikes - 46%
Similar to the Bears situation - Love needs to have enough games like last night to make the Pack think he is "legit" and have them sign him to a big contract. He looked good last night, but from what I've seen of him, he was playing out of his mind in that game and far exceeded the mean. Honestly, the best case scenario as a rival fan is for him to fall into the "good but not great" category where they hold on to him for years, precluding you from trying to acquire an elite QB.

Per The Athletic’s best writer for the Vegass tilt-

Who will start at quarterback in Week 14 (and why)? — Dan B.

We should get the answer early in the week. My prediction is that Josh Dobbs will be starting against the Las Vegas Raiders for multiple reasons.

First, another starting opportunity would give Dobbs more time to get on time. Another week to learn the intricacies of how his drop in the pocket ties to the receivers’ routes. Another week to sync up with how receivers come out of their breaks. Another week to master the load at the line of scrimmage.

Second, the Vikings already have proof of what Dobbs can do for them, whereas backup Nick Mullens and rookie Jaren Hallremain question marks. Mullens recently returned from a serious lower-back injury. Hall, meanwhile, has finished one career NFL drive. Dobbs has turned the ball over nine times in his four games as a Viking, but his overall efficiency in non-turnover drives ranks in the top half of the NFL.

Third, Minnesota values running efficiency. Justin Jefferson’s reintegration into the offense will help the Vikings’ rushing attack. Before the receiver strained his hamstring, Minnesota ranked second in the NFL in rushing success rate. Early-down rushing prowess is one thing. But Dobbs adds to what’s possible on third down and in the red zone with designer play calls and scrambles.

Moving forward with Dobbs would essentially be a bet on variance. Dobbs’ lows over the last two weeks have been low, but the highs in the two weeks prior were wildly impressive. The odds of competing with the NFC elites are long whoever starts at quarterback. Rolling with an option that gives you the best puncher’s chance against those teams is likely the route they’ll take.

Per The Athletic’s best writer for the Vegass tilt-

Who will start at quarterback in Week 14 (and why)? — Dan B.

We should get the answer early in the week. My prediction is that Josh Dobbs will be starting against the Las Vegas Raiders for multiple reasons.

First, another starting opportunity would give Dobbs more time to get on time. Another week to learn the intricacies of how his drop in the pocket ties to the receivers’ routes. Another week to sync up with how receivers come out of their breaks. Another week to master the load at the line of scrimmage.

Second, the Vikings already have proof of what Dobbs can do for them, whereas backup Nick Mullens and rookie Jaren Hallremain question marks. Mullens recently returned from a serious lower-back injury. Hall, meanwhile, has finished one career NFL drive. Dobbs has turned the ball over nine times in his four games as a Viking, but his overall efficiency in non-turnover drives ranks in the top half of the NFL.

Third, Minnesota values running efficiency. Justin Jefferson’s reintegration into the offense will help the Vikings’ rushing attack. Before the receiver strained his hamstring, Minnesota ranked second in the NFL in rushing success rate. Early-down rushing prowess is one thing. But Dobbs adds to what’s possible on third down and in the red zone with designer play calls and scrambles.

Moving forward with Dobbs would essentially be a bet on variance. Dobbs’ lows over the last two weeks have been low, but the highs in the two weeks prior were wildly impressive. The odds of competing with the NFC elites are long whoever starts at quarterback. Rolling with an option that gives you the best puncher’s chance against those teams is likely the route they’ll take.
Regardless who starts this week, if they lose, Hall should start the remaining games.

While Detroit has to play Denver, Minnesota has to go to Las Vegas and Cincinnati. All 3 have the same amount of Ws. In the Purples' favor is they may have more fans on the Strip than the Raiders and Burrow is done so that game will be a battle of backups.
Maybe not a good thing to be facing the Browning led Bengals. He's lighting up the Jags.

The next two weeks will be against teams with 5-7 records after week 13.

Is that supposed to be scary?

Not surprised a coward thinks everything is scary!

Boo!

Some guy named Justin Jefferson??

I dunno, no one has ever really heard of him. But maybe he’ll help??

Top Bottom