All Things 2023 Minnesota Vikings In-Season Thread

Tonight was one of those stranger things. Wild Card or bust.
You’ve just waiting to post something like that, I get some wrong kiddo, like we all do, including u 2😉

Who knew you could pull offa fedora-

Last edited:

We are currently fine with the salary cap.

They will sign them all. If they don't sign Cousins, it's because they drafted a first round qb.
If they draft a QB of the future using our FRP, does it really make sense to re-sign JJ and Hunter? It usually takes a QB 2-3 years to find themselves at the NFL level. Hunter is a FA but we could get a huge haul for JJ.

If we start from scratch at QB, it would make more sense to get well under the cap, accumulate picks if possible and coordinate a quick rebuilding process. Of course all of that is dependent on drafting the right QB.

Imagine being a CAR fan watching what Stroud is doing in HOU and knowing your FRP, most likely #1 overall, goes to CHI. Ouch.

If they draft a QB of the future using our FRP, does it really make sense to re-sign JJ and Hunter? It usually takes a QB 2-3 years to find themselves at the NFL level. Hunter is a FA but we could get a huge haul for JJ.

If we start from scratch at QB, it would make more sense to get well under the cap, accumulate picks if possible and coordinate a quick rebuilding process. Of course all of that is dependent on drafting the right QB.

Imagine being a CAR fan watching what Stroud is doing in HOU and knowing your FRP, most likely #1 overall, goes to CHI. Ouch.
I would counter your point to say what if Stroud had JJ? Yowza. You're signing JJ to what, a 5 year deal? If you draft a QB, there will be plenty of time for their "good" years to overlap. If it doesn't work out with your new QB, trade JJ in 3 years when he still has plenty of value as a 27 year old. Somebody will most certainly want to trade for him, so there is no downside to signing JJ and play it out a bit.

All the people saying they should trade JJ (I personally think any player should be tradable for the right price) have to consider he is the face of the franchise and everybody loves him. From the owner's perspective, I'd be pretty surprised if they let him go.

I like Hunter, but I think he has to be the expendable one. He'll be 30 next season and elite edge rushers in today's NFL have a shelf life only slightly better than RB's. I'm not paying him the money he's going to be able to get.

I'm in the play hall camp. See what you have in the last 5 games. Your chance of catching Detroit went down the tubes the last 2 weeks.

It's be nice to make playoffs from a culture stand point. But you're not going to win 3 road games to get to SB. Might as well see if Hall can pull it off.

Dobbs has told them that they need cousins back. I love cousins. But I would really like to keep Hunter who is playing out of his mind. Can't keep both

See if Hall can be our man for next year
Agreed. Finding out what you have in him is the most important thing for the rest of the season. If Hall is decent, I'm fine bringing back Dobbs for cheap and letting them compete for the job next year. If Hall isn't the guy, draft a QB and let either Hall or Dobbs start until he's ready.

The only way I want Cousins back is if it's for $20 million/year or less. I think that's unlikely to happen.

Last edited:

This is a problem and it was a problem against Denver. Both KOC and Flores seem to be very aggressive for 45 minutes and then turtle up the last 15 minutes.
I hate it. Sure, there's a risk you get burned and give up a long TD. But even that's better than letting them chunk down the field and win with no time left. If you get just one sack on the last drive you win both of the last two games.

JJ is a generational talent with many good years left. You keep him. Hunter is great but approaching 30 and an injury risk. You don't keep him if you aren't trying to win it all in 2024.

I hate it. Sure, there's a risk you get burned and give up a long TD. But even that's better than letting them chunk down the field and win with no time left. If you get just one sack on the last drive you win both of the last two games.
And this game the bear didnt have long to go to get in FG range. (Bad punt by wright, good FG kicker).

To me the only option was to be agressive on D. And that was only needed because the O wasn't aggressive and kept it a 1 point game

And this game the bear didnt have long to go to get in FG range. (Bad punt by wright, good FG kicker).

To me the only option was to be agressive on D. And that was only needed because the O wasn't aggressive and kept it a 1 point game
I would have less of an issue if Chicago had needed a TD. Fields isn't Russel Wilson. But even a below average QB can get 10 yards in 4 chances if you don't pressure him.

We are currently fine with the salary cap.

They will sign them all. If they don't sign Cousins, it's because they drafted a first round qb.
Their cap situation isn't the worst, but there's no way they can afford to sign JJ, Hunter, Darrisaw and Cousins unless Cousins is at much lower rate.

JJ is a generational talent with many good years left. You keep him. Hunter is great but approaching 30 and an injury risk. You don't keep him if you aren't trying to win it all in 2024.
Exactly

I would counter your point to say what if Stroud had JJ? Yowza. You're signing JJ to what, a 5 year deal? If you draft a QB, there will be plenty of time for their "good" years to overlap. If it doesn't work out with your new QB, trade JJ in 3 years when he still has plenty of value as a 27 year old. Somebody will most certainly want to trade for him, so there is no downside to signing JJ and play it out a bit.

All the people saying they should trade JJ (I personally think any player should be tradable for the right price) have to consider he is the face of the franchise and everybody loves him. From the owner's perspective, I'd be pretty surprised if they let him go.

I like Hunter, but I think he has to be the expendable one. He'll be 30 next season and elite edge rushers in today's NFL have a shelf life only slightly better than RB's. I'm not paying him the money he's going to be able to get.
For the record, I'm not saying we should trade JJ but I could understand the rationale assuming the return was a couple of FRPs.

If they let Hunter walk and get nothing for him, when they could have traded him a few weeks for a first or second.........well, welcome to Minnesota sports in a nutshell.

Their cap situation isn't the worst, but there's no way they can afford to sign JJ, Hunter, Darrisaw and Cousins unless Cousins is at much lower rate.
They can just play mind games with the salary cap. All teams do it.

They can sign them all.

If they let Hunter walk and get nothing for him, when they could have traded him a few weeks for a first or second.........well, welcome to Minnesota sports in a nutshell.
Trading for a second round pick and giving up the season wouldn't have sat well with the fans or more importantly the Wilfs.

They can just play mind games with the salary cap. All teams do it.

They can sign them all.
If you're a "the salary cap is fake" type I can't help you. Yes it can be manipulated to kick the can but not that far. They already have $26 million in dead cap $$ for Cousins in 2024 as it is due to "playing mind games" for 2023.

Reich is just plain clueless, he won't make it very long
I think Reich is anything but clueless. $30Million to not coach and a grand total of 1 victory. Either he or is agent is the smartest guy ever.

This is a problem and it was a problem against Denver. Both KOC and Flores seem to be very aggressive for 45 minutes and then turtle up the last 15 minutes.
What’s even stranger is that I believe the series before the Viking sent a 0 blitz on 4th and 10 or so and got burned there. That doesn’t make it right to just sit back in coverage.

Hell, giving up a long TD is better than what happened. At least then they have a more legit chance to respond.

If you're a "the salary cap is fake" type I can't help you. Yes it can be manipulated to kick the can but not that far. They already have $26 million in dead cap $$ for Cousins in 2024 as it is due to "playing mind games" for 2023.
they will continue to do this. Most teams do.

Trading for a second round pick and giving up the season wouldn't have sat well with the fans or more importantly the Wilfs.
Horrible take. It was just suggested by someone to possibly trade JJ for two firsts.

If keeping Hunter for 8 extra weeks to try to win and not take a first or second......well, I don't know what to say.

We are dumb enough to do it this way, though, don't get me wrong.

You just said you don't trade Hunter because you are trying to win this year and the Wilfs would not allow it.

You let him walk though in 2024, unless you are trying to win it all.

I must admit, I'm a little confused here.

You just said you don't trade Hunter because you are trying to win this year and the Wilfs would not allow it.

You let him walk though in 2024, unless you are trying to win it all.

I must admit, I'm a little confused here.
What are you confused about? They are two separate decisions. The Vikings were in contention, not sell mode, so they didn't trade him. It may have been a wrong choice in hindsight but it's understandable why they didn't trade him.

For 2024, if, (IF) they decide to roll with a rookie QB, it probably doesn't make sense to try and sign Hunter to a massive contract. If Hall or Dobbs plays very well the rest of the season or they bring back Kirk at a discount and they think they can compete in 2024, then bringing back Hunter makes more sense.

Hell, giving up a long TD is better than what happened. At least then they have a more legit chance to respond.
Yep. Especially against Denver, I believe they would have gotten to Wilson at least once. Fields is scarier and much harder to bring down, but they still should have done it because getting into FG range with that much time left is way too easy.

Top Bottom