All Things 2023 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

So De Leon strikes out the two best hitter for the dodgers. Then he gives up two singles and Rocco can’t wait to get him out of there for sure thing Pagon. Emilo then promptly walks two and the cherry on top was the grand slam.

Next time the twins have bases loaded they should not be allowed to swing at a single pitch. They have a better chance of walking in a run then anything else.

There is way too much dead weight on this team. That is why despite playing competively. We are still 14-16 since starting 10-4 and we are sub .500 against teams not named the ROyals

Why the fuck is Emilio Pagan pitching in that spot?? Lopez had a day off. If he cant go then maybe stop over working guys in pointless game.

Pagan is a pile of shit. Its well known. Comes in and cant even throw a strike. Stop losing games with you shitty players and try to win with your best. Cut the losers.

Why the fuck is Pagan still employed? He's been dogshit for years.

Falvine like analytics and only look at ones that try to say his struggles are a fluke.

Those dorks didnt play sports and cant use their eyes to see a guy has sucked well before he came here. Also, too much pride to admit it was a bad trade and dumber contract.

I really hope when Theilbar is added they DFA him - someone can get his innings.

Why would you not go to Lopez there to get the final out and then pitch the 8th?
Just a guess, but with the heavy workload on Monday even with a day off Lopez wasn't going to go more than an inning today.

It failed.

In true Minnesota fashion we almost swept the big bad dodgers, but we shat the bed and won a game. That’s unfortunate, but there’s still 114 of them to go and the twins play in the worst division in baseball.

I am interested in how good we have the potential to be. Looks like a fourth of the way thru the season we are better than all the central, worse than all the east, and top 3 maybe of the west. So basically middle of the American league.
Nothing wrong with that, but will be interesting to see if we have the stuff to move up the pecking order or if we remain middle of the pack.

Just a guess, but with the heavy workload on Monday even with a day off Lopez wasn't going to go more than an inning today.

It failed.
Lopez threw 27 pitches on Monday. He threw 9 pitches Sunday against the cubs in a 9-3 game. That kind of usage should not mean that he is not available 40 hours later, especially with a day off tomorrow.

Lopez threw 27 pitches on Monday. He threw 9 pitches Sunday against the cubs in a 9-3 game. That kind of usage should not mean that he is not available 40 hours later, especially with a day off tomorrow.
I didn't say Lopez was completely unavailable, I specifically said "more than one inning". I think he was being saved for the 3 outs in the 8th inning only, and Duran the 9th (also for 3 outs only).

Gladden stated as much during the game.

Pagan had come through a few times the past couple weeks, so I can understand the logic for him to get that out.

Honestly the walks frustrate me more than the HR. Lopez also walked in the winning run on Monday, so recency bias I didn't mind putting Pagan in at that specific time.

Ultimately it failed though, so bad move. Ball don't lie.

I didn't say Lopez was completely unavailable, I specifically said "more than one inning". I think he was being saved for the 3 outs in the 8th inning only, and Duran the 9th (also for 3 outs only).

Gladden stated as much during the game.

Pagan had come through a few times the past couple weeks, so I can understand the logic for him to get that out.

Honestly the walks frustrate me more than the HR. Lopez also walked in the winning run on Monday, so recency bias I didn't mind putting Pagan in at that specific time.

Ultimately it failed though, so bad move. Ball don't lie.

Lopez and Duran should have combined for the final 7 outs.

Duran pitched 2 innings Monday but it was on like 16 ish pitches. It was light work. And he didnt pitch for like 4 days prior or something like that.

He coulda gotten more than 3 outs no problem. His workload is down.

But today showed another Rocco issue. Even when starters are going deeper this year our pen is still overworked cause guys like Lopez, Jax and Duran pitch in games that are not close "to get work" then magically the next 3 end up close and we are in a bind.

Duran pitched 2 innings Monday but it was on like 16 ish pitches. It was light work. And he didnt pitch for like 4 days prior or something like that.

But today showed another Rocco issue. Even when starters are going deeper this year our pen is still overworked cause guys like Lopez, Jax and Duran pitch in games that are not close "to get work" then magically the next 3 end up close and we are in a bind.

I think that's a reach. Neither Lopez or Duran was used in Saturdays blowout. Sunday Lopez coming in for the 8th when it was 9-3 after Twins just tacked on an insurance run doesn't seem egregious, after Cubs showed life in the 6th.

Duran wasn't used Sunday. I don't think Lopez's one inning Saturday impacted today.

Duran threw 18 pitches Monday, plus 3 warmups in a high leverage situation. Perhaps he could have gotten an extra out but I don't know. Past arm issues might be impacting his workload as well.

Furthermore, both went more than 1 inning Monday and gave up a run each, so maybe there's something to limiting them to 3 outs only. Granted they were automatic inherited runners on 2nd base in extra innings, but there was also a runner on 2nd today in the 7th.

With the Twins bats not being able to break it open it was a tightrope no matter what.

It was Game 44 with 118 left. Regroup and hope Friday works out better. If not, there's another game the next day, then yet another and so on...

I think that's a reach. Neither Lopez or Duran was used in Saturdays blowout. Sunday Lopez coming in for the 8th when it was 9-3 after Twins just tacked on an insurance run doesn't seem egregious, after Cubs showed life in the 6th.

Duran wasn't used Sunday. I don't think Lopez's one inning Saturday impacted today.

Duran threw 18 pitches Monday, plus 3 warmups in a high leverage situation. Perhaps he could have gotten an extra out but I don't know. Past arm issues might be impacting his workload as well.

Furthermore, both went more than 1 inning Monday and gave up a run each, so maybe there's something to limiting them to 3 outs only. Granted they were automatic inherited runners on 2nd base in extra innings, but there was also a runner on 2nd today in the 7th.

With the Twins bats not being able to break it open it was a tightrope no matter what.

It was Game 44 with 118 left. Regroup and hope Friday works out better. If not, there's another game the next day, then yet another and so on...

Dude you really gotta read whats said. Its like you intentionally try to play contrarian on everyones post and dont read.

No shit Duran didnt post saturday. I literally said in the post you quoted he didnt pitch for like four days.

Its fucking annoying.

Embarrassing with the bases loaded.

Sit Correa for 2 days in a row and then move him to 7th or 8th.

Get Pagan off this team NOW.

How do you not use Lopez/Duran to finish this game having not pitched last night and with an off day tomorrow? Jesus Rocco.

Last edited:

Falvey's pride can't admit he made a God awful embarrassing trade. Not only did they voluntarily bring him back, they're paying him $4 million.

I'm not sure exactly when it started, but this nonsense with relief pitchers being "unavailable" on consecutive days is just silly. Can you imagine a guy on a landscape crew telling his boss that he can't run the weed wacker today because he ran one yesterday?

I'm not sure exactly when it started, but this nonsense with relief pitchers being "unavailable" on consecutive days is just silly. Can you imagine a guy on a landscape crew telling his boss that he can't run the weed wacker today because he ran one yesterday?
I’m not sure that’s a great comparison.

I’m tall and when I run the little electric weed-wacker we own, I know my back needs a couple of days rest before using it again.

I'm curious if Lopez was available or not. Anyone know if Rocco said so after the game?
I don't know about after the game, but during the radio broadcast Gladden/Provus said Lopez was available.

Gladden said he got the feeling they wanted to limit the load though to 1 inning only for Lopez/Duran each and were trying to get to the 8th before they could turn it over to them.

Yeah I'm not really sure what the plan would have been for the 8th and 9th innings...I'm sure Duran was available in which case I would have just put him in for the final out of the 7th (biggest out of the game ) and had him at least start the 8th. See where things are at then for the 9th and see if its a Lopez move or maybe we have a bigger lead and you can throw someone else.

I don't know about after the game, but during the radio broadcast Gladden/Provus said Lopez was available.

Gladden said he got the feeling they wanted to limit the load though to 1 inning only for Lopez/Duran each and were trying to get to the 8th before they could turn it over to them.
I can understand that if the they were bringing in Pagan with the bases empty. But they weren't, use your best relievers in critical situations. That's what's been done in the past, now he's gone away from that for some reason. Worst case is you have to bring in Pagan sometime in the 8th to finish the inning so you might end up in a similar situation but it's also possible Lopez gets out of the 7th quickly and then does the same in the 8th. Or even bring in Duran to get the last out of the 8th if needed and then pitch the 9th. Duran was pretty well rested.

Dude you really gotta read whats said. Its like you intentionally try to play contrarian on everyones post and dont read.

No shit Duran didnt post saturday. I literally said in the post you quoted he didnt pitch for like four days.
I brought up Duran because you said he pitches in games that were not close. He didn't pitch in either Cubs game, so you are contradicting yourself about the alarm bell you sounded with "another Rocco issue".

Between Lopez & Duran, there was only 1 inning thrown by them combined in the routs against the Cubs. It did not hamstring their options throughout the Dodgers series, other than Lopez not being available Tuesday unless it was an emergency but they won anyway.

Also with regards to "contrarian on everyone's posts" I am sure you have the ability to search out the posts I have "Liked", even some of yours by the way. There I go again...

On posts I do agree with unless the discussion can be further explored, there really is not much point to posting a reply. The "Like" button is completely sufficient.

Top Bottom