All Things 2023 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

That's a good point. It's still a bit irritating but oh well.

I don't know if this is on purpose but they did avoid the Gophers and Vikings games this weekend. Gonna be busy for MN sports fans Saturday and Sunday.
I'm sure they wanted to avoid the Vikings-Chiefs game, but they also put Houston up against Cowboys 49ers by doing so. I figured they would stick them with a noon Sunday game.

Personally, I would lean towards Maeda as well but am also thinking it will be Ryan. I wouldn't rule out Ober either.
They already said Ryan was going to start game 3 today if necessary. Not sure why you would change your mind if it's game 1 of the ALDS.

How I would do it:

Game 1: Ober (his road splits are pretty good)
Game 2: Lopez
Game 3: Gray
Game 4: Maeda
Game 5: Lopez

Ober wasn't on the wild card roster, so it would be shocking to have him start game 1 of the ALDS. Ryan will be the guy, and even though I understand the frustration with him lately, I think he will pitch well in his first postseason start.

Another odd fact about Houston this season is that they are 39-42 at home.

Ober wasn't on the wild card roster, so it would be shocking to have him start game 1 of the ALDS. Ryan will be the guy, and even though I understand the frustration with him lately, I think he will pitch well in his first postseason start.

Yep, I don't think what I posted will happen, it's just what I would do.

They already said Ryan was going to start game 3 today if necessary. Not sure why you would change your mind if it's game 1 of the ALDS.

There can be numerous reasons and I am not pretending that I know them but here are some possibilities:

- Game 3 would have been all or nothing, meaning bullpen would be used differently
- Game 1 ALDS is after 2 off days so every arm should be available excepts Lopez & Gray
- One could have much better stats at Target Field as opposed to Minute Maid Park
- Different lineups might impact the decision
- Rest situation
- Health situation

I'm sure they wanted to avoid the Vikings-Chiefs game, but they also put Houston up against Cowboys 49ers by doing so. I figured they would stick them with a noon Sunday game.

Wouldn't Astros fans more likely be Texans fans than Cowboys?

There can be numerous reasons and I am not pretending that I know them but here are some possibilities:

- Game 3 would have been all or nothing, meaning bullpen would be used differently
- Game 1 ALDS is after 2 off days so every arm should be available excepts Lopez & Gray
- One could have much better stats at Target Field as opposed to Minute Maid Park
- Different lineups might impact the decision
- Rest situation
- Health situation
All bullpen hands will be on deck in both cases, IMO. In game 3 because it's elimination. On Saturday because everyone is rested. Both line-ups are good. To me the only real difference is the ballpark. Minute Maid is a band box and Ryan is HR prone. I personally would feel more comfortable with Ober, but I expect they will stick with Ryan.

Wouldn't Astros fans more likely be Texans fans than Cowboys?
In theory sure but it's the Cowboys. It's also a hell of a match-up. I'd wager there will be more people in Houston watching the Cowboys-49'ers than the noon game between the Texans and whoever.

Ober wasn't on the wild card roster because he pitched 6 innings Sunday and wouldn't have been available until at least game 3. I'm not saying he will start game one or even be on the roster for sure (he should be). But it wouldn't be shocking if they went with him in game 1. He'd be on regular rest, Ryan won't have pitched for 8-9 days. And the ballpark isn't great for him etc.

I posted the previous one, so here’s the positional breakdown vs. the Astros via the MLB App. The writer of this fine piece, picks us in 5! A man of great intelligence and character.

All bullpen hands will be on deck in both cases, IMO. In game 3 because it's elimination. On Saturday because everyone is rested. Both line-ups are good. To me the only real difference is the ballpark. Minute Maid is a band box and Ryan is HR prone. I personally would feel more comfortable with Ober, but I expect they will stick with Ryan.

In theory sure but it's the Cowboys. It's also a hell of a match-up. I'd wager there will be more people in Houston watching the Cowboys-49'ers than the noon game between the Texans and whoever.
Sure, every arm would have been "available" for WC G3 but Thielbar, Jax & Duran would have been going 3 straight days so potentially less effective and more limited in duration.

The one difference you mention may be enough, but I suspect they will stick with Ryan as well. Again, I am comfortable with whatever the game plan is.

Sure, every arm would have been "available" for WC G3 but Thielbar, Jax & Duran would have been going 3 straight days so potentially less effective and more limited in duration.

The one difference you mention may be enough, but I suspect they will stick with Ryan as well. Again, I am comfortable with whatever the game plan is.
Ryan’s overall stats since coming off the IL were excellent - for his last start, just ✍️ a line through it, as in horse handicapping, when they have one bad race out of many.

Gotta believe Ober will be on the roster this time. He may very well be slotted for Game 4.

Ober wasn't on the wild card roster because he pitched 6 innings Sunday and wouldn't have been available until at least game 3. I'm not saying he will start game one or even be on the roster for sure (he should be). But it wouldn't be shocking if they went with him in game 1. He'd be on regular rest, Ryan won't have pitched for 8-9 days. And the ballpark isn't great for him etc.

It's pretty obvious to me that Twins management considers Ober to be 5th right now behind Lopez, Gray, Ryan, and Maeda which is why I would be shocked. Having more rest is better than less this time of the year. Ober would be on 5 days rest, Ryan on 7, and Maeda on 8 days rest going into Saturday.

Paddock is the only person Ober could really replace on the roster. It's possible they like Paddocks arm out of the bullpen right now more than Obers.

Ober for Paddock seems logical. I don't see what Paddock's role is.
It just depends on what their plan is for starters. If they don't plan on having Ober start any games, then I'd rather have Paddock.

Another option would be to go with one more pitcher this series and drop Stevenson. But I don't like that as having him as a pinch runner option is valuable.

It's pretty obvious to me that Twins management considers Ober to be 5th right now behind Lopez, Gray, Ryan, and Maeda which is why I would be shocked. Having more rest is better than less this time of the year. Ober would be on 5 days rest, Ryan on 7, and Maeda on 8 days rest going into Saturday.

Paddock is the only person Ober could really replace on the roster. It's possible they like Paddocks arm out of the bullpen right now more than Obers.
I'm not sure why that's "pretty obvious". They used him less late in the season because of how many innings he threw relative to 2022 not because of bad performance.

Even if they throw Ryan in game 1, they need someone for game 4. Using Ober once in the series in game 1 or 4 and having Maeda as a handcuff makes more sense than using Maeda and having Paddock as a handcuff IMO. I have nothing against Paddock but I can't see how a guy who's thrown all of 3-4 ML innings in 16 months is a better option than a guy who made 26 starts and had an ERA under 3.50 and the 2nd best ERA in the rotation.

just a guess - but if they are going to piggy-back two pitchers, I would pair Ryan with Maeda.

Yes, both have been touched by the HR ball, and Houston's park is a HR haven - but Maeda is a veteran who has experience working out of the pen. So if Ryan starts and gets roughed up early, Maeda can come in and at the very least eat some innings. at best, he keeps the game reasonably close and gives the Twins a chance to rally.

I'm not sure why that's "pretty obvious". They used him less late in the season because of how many innings he threw relative to 2022 not because of bad performance.

Even if they throw Ryan in game 1, they need someone for game 4. Using Ober once in the series in game 1 or 4 and having Maeda as a handcuff makes more sense than using Maeda and having Paddock as a handcuff IMO. I have nothing against Paddock but I can't see how a guy who's thrown all of 3-4 ML innings in 16 months is a better option than a guy who made 26 starts and had an ERA under 3.50 and the 2nd best ERA in the rotation.

Maybe they will do that. Or you could still come back with Maeda in game 4 and Ryan will still have had 3 days rest and could be used for a few innings.

I am not a believer in planning a handcuff. Like I said about a potential game 3 vs Toronto, if you have to use a handcuff in a potential elimination game, it's over.

The Twins had one of the best starting rotations in baseball this year. They will advance in the playoffs living and dying with the starters that got them there.

a little off-topic but baseball-related. this might have some implications down the road for teams screwing with the IL. (but I'm sure Joey Gallo was injured......)

from ESPN:
New York Mets general manager Billy Eppler resigned Thursday amid a Major League Baseball investigation into his use of the so-called phantom injured list, sources told ESPN.

The practice of placing players on the IL with fake injuries is a long-accepted but ethically murky part of baseball, according to sources. Teams will ask players -- often struggling and on the fringe of a roster -- to accept an IL placement even when capable of playing, sources said. The player gains the benefit of service time, a major league salary and retaining a spot on the team's 40-man roster, while the team retains the player amid a potential 26-man roster crunch.

MLB has investigated past phantom IL placements, sources said, though any punishment from those inquiries is unclear. Teams are expected to offer documentation -- as well as a doctor's approval -- to support injury claims.

a little off-topic but baseball-related. this might have some implications down the road for teams screwing with the IL. (but I'm sure Joey Gallo was injured......)

from ESPN:
New York Mets general manager Billy Eppler resigned Thursday amid a Major League Baseball investigation into his use of the so-called phantom injured list, sources told ESPN.

The practice of placing players on the IL with fake injuries is a long-accepted but ethically murky part of baseball, according to sources. Teams will ask players -- often struggling and on the fringe of a roster -- to accept an IL placement even when capable of playing, sources said. The player gains the benefit of service time, a major league salary and retaining a spot on the team's 40-man roster, while the team retains the player amid a potential 26-man roster crunch.

MLB has investigated past phantom IL placements, sources said, though any punishment from those inquiries is unclear. Teams are expected to offer documentation -- as well as a doctor's approval -- to support injury claims.
I am sure by September (when Gallo was put on the IL), probably every player has some ailment at that time after 140 regular season games, 25 in Spring Training and over 6 months straight of baseball activity that could warrant an IL stint.

They announced the times for the rest of the series. No surprise the Twins get screwed.

Game 4: Wednesday would be at 2pm
Game 5: Friday would be at 4pm

MLB continues to not know how to market their product.

Isnt the assumption youre hurt if you're hitting .177 and not a P or C?
I am sure by September (when Gallo was put on the IL), probably every player has some ailment at that time after 140 regular season games, 25 in Spring Training and over 6 months straight of baseball activity that could warrant an IL stint.
s

They announced the times for the rest of the series. No surprise the Twins get screwed.

I would assume those are still subject to change? If that is the only game on Friday they surely won't keep it a 4 PM.

I would assume those are still subject to change? If that is the only game on Friday they surely won't keep it a 4 PM.
I would assume so too. It still is so dumb IMO that it's even a possibility of all afternoon games during the week.

Last edited:

I think you were looking at Eastern Time.

Actually G4 on Wednesday would be at 1:07 PM locally Central Daylight Time. G5 on Friday would be at 3:07 PM.

https://www.mlb.com/postseason

As someone with tix to G3 & G4, I am very enthusiastic about the daytime starts though I empathize with you. Friday (if necessary) would actually work out to still see HS football, so also gets my approval.

Top Bottom