All Things 2023 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

Wallner and Farmer go back-to-back. It's now 4-2 Tampa Bay.

Farmer doing exactly what I accused the Twins of not doing well last night. 16 pitch at bat.

The goal this off-season should not be to replace the low leverage bullpen arms like winder, headrick, and sands. It should be to find an actual 7th and 8th inning guy so that Pagan and Jax can be your 5th and 6th inning guys. Replacing garbage with more garbage is not a solution.

Barring a late game comeback from the Giants, today is going to be the first day in a week (the 2-1 loss to the Guardians) that magic number doesn't go down.

The goal this off-season should not be to replace the low leverage bullpen arms like winder, headrick, and sands. It should be to find an actual 7th and 8th inning guy so that Pagan and Jax can be your 5th and 6th inning guys. Replacing garbage with more garbage is not a solution.
Pagan should not be brought back in 2024 under any circumstances. I'm glad he's not awful for now, but let's not press our luck.

Also as much as I complain about Julien I would much rather he bat than Vazquez in 9th.
I don't agree with the decision but Vazquez has better numbers against righties than Julien has against lefties. That's how bad he's been against lefties. That's what their thinking is. But the difference isn't great enough IMO. Let Julien try to get better against lefties. Hard to do that if he gets so few opportunities.

I don't agree with the decision but Vazquez has better numbers against righties than Julien has against lefties. That's how bad he's been against lefties. That's what their thinking is. But the difference isn't great enough IMO. Let Julien try to get better against lefties. Hard to do that if he gets so few opportunities.
I agree with giving Julien more opportunities against lefties, but the time for that should either be after the AL Central is wrapped up, the Fall League or Spring Training.

I agree with giving Julien more opportunities against lefties, but the time for that should either be after the AL Central is wrapped up, the Fall League or Spring Training.
Probably right but I think the difference isn't enough to make a big difference either way.

The Twins are absolutely stacked with prospects on the infield. Someone will get traded this offseason I’m guessing. Maybe move Lewis to LF next year and let this guy and Miranda fight for 3B?

The Twins are absolutely stacked with prospects on the infield. Someone will get traded this offseason I’m guessing. Maybe move Lewis to LF next year and let this guy and Miranda fight for 3B?

Brooks Lee would like a word 🤬
I check our Top 30 prospects on the MLB App ~monthly and this is the first time I can recall seeing him.

Interesting background and a coup by the front office to acquire him after MLB granted him free agency from the Braves.

His bio from the MLB App -

Scouting grades: Hit: 45 | Power: 50 | Run: 45 | Arm: 55 | Field: 40 | Overall: 40

One of the top international prospects in the 2016-17 signing class, Severino first signed with the Braves for $1.9 million and made his pro debut in 2017. He was part of the group of prospects declared free agents as Major League Baseball penalized the Braves for international signing violations. Since signing with the Twins for $2.5 million, he’s moved up the ladder slowly, missing most of his full-season debut in 2019 due to injury and having to wait until 2021 to try again because of the pandemic. There were signs of life that year offensively and even more in 2022, none of which seemed like a sign he’d mash 24 homers in 84 Double-A games to earn a promotion to Triple-A in 2023.

As he’s physically matured, Severino has shown an ability to really impact the baseball from both sides of the plate. He has continued to register plus exit velocities, using his bat speed to great effect to get to his raw power in games. There are still concerns about his approach at the plate as well as his swing-and-miss, but he’s managed to not let the strikeout rate increase too much as he’s moved to the higher levels.

While there’s now confidence Severino will one day get a chance to hit in the big leagues, there are questions about what position he’ll play while doing so. He had played mostly second base and continues to see time there, but he’s had more time at third of late, where his strong arm does profile well. His best position may be the batter’s box, with a future as an offensive-minded infielder who plays multiple spots to get his power bat in the lineup.

Last edited:

I’ll be shocked if they don’t pick up max’s extension for $10M (which is a bargain), leaving him in right as the presumptive starter with Wallner in left for the season

I’ll be shocked if they don’t pick up max’s extension for $10M (which is a bargain), leaving him in right as the presumptive starter with Wallner in left for the season
Picking up the options for both Max and Polanco seems like a no-brainer, even if you turn around and trade one of them. They're both easily worth $10 million.

I check our Top 30 prospects on the MLB App ~monthly and this is the first time I can recall seeing him.

Interesting background and a coup by the front office to acquire him after he was MLB granted him free agency from the Braves.

Scouting grades: Hit: 45 | Power: 50 | Run: 45 | Arm: 55 | Field: 40 | Overall: 40

One of the top international prospects in the 2016-17 signing class, Severino first signed with the Braves for $1.9 million and made his pro debut in 2017. He was part of the group of prospects declared free agents as Major League Baseball penalized the Braves for international signing violations. Since signing with the Twins for $2.5 million, he’s moved up the ladder slowly, missing most of his full-season debut in 2019 due to injury and having to wait until 2021 to try again because of the pandemic. There were signs of life that year offensively and even more in 2022, none of which seemed like a sign he’d mash 24 homers in 84 Double-A games to earn a promotion to Triple-A in 2023.

As he’s physically matured, Severino has shown an ability to really impact the baseball from both sides of the plate. He has continued to register plus exit velocities, using his bat speed to great effect to get to his raw power in games. There are still concerns about his approach at the plate as well as his swing-and-miss, but he’s managed to not let the strikeout rate increase too much as he’s moved to the higher levels.

While there’s now confidence Severino will one day get a chance to hit in the big leagues, there are questions about what position he’ll play while doing so. He had played mostly second base and continues to see time there, but he’s had more time at third of late, where his strong arm does profile well. His best position may be the batter’s box, with a future as an offensive-minded infielder who plays multiple spots to get his power bat in the lineup.

Also only 23 yrs old

Interesting background and a coup by the front office to acquire him after he was MLB granted him free agency from the Braves.

I assumed Lee would be more of a 2B but we'll see. He has played some 3B in St Paul. Lots of options for sure.

It's too bad Kepler can't (or isn't willing to) play some CF. I wouldn't mind Lewis at least being able to play LF if needed when Wallner has the day off or is DH.

It's too bad Kepler can't (or isn't willing to) play some CF. I wouldn't mind Lewis at least being able to play LF if needed when Wallner has the day off or is DH.
Gleeman reported that Kepler is dead set against it, which is odd to me because he’s a decent CF.

Excellent multi-position players is one of the best advances in the game in the recent past; long way from the Hocking/Newman era.

Top Bottom