All Things 2023 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

I wouldn't be opposed to a Pineda type extension for Mahle. 2 years, 12 million ($2 million during the rehab year).
Pass. We already have Paddock for the rehabbing TJS role. Ryan, Ober, Lopez, Paddock, Varland/SWR, etc. isn't terrible to start the season with. If they want to add someone, it should be of a higher quality than Mahle IMO. If Kuechel has actually figured something out, I'd much rather give him a deal for next year.

Pass. We already have Paddock for the rehabbing TJS role. Ryan, Ober, Lopez, Paddock, Varland/SWR, etc. isn't terrible to start the season with. If they want to add someone, it should be of a higher quality than Mahle IMO. If Kuechel has actually figured something out, I'd much rather give him a deal for next year.
I am guessing Mahle will still be rehabbing next year, at least the 1st half. If Paddock isn't ready to go by next April, then he probably never will. He was injured in April 2022. it will almost be a full 2 yrs since the injury.

I am guessing Mahle will still be rehabbing next year, at least the 1st half. If Paddock isn't ready to go by next April, then he probably never will. He was injured in April 2022. it will almost be a full 2 yrs since the injury.
I get that. I just don't see value in having two guys in that pipeline eating up $12-18 million of payroll.

I get that. I just don't see value in having two guys in that pipeline eating up $12-18 million of payroll.
Yes. Hopefully Paddock is completely out of that pipeline by 2024. If not, then yeah, bad move.

Im going with that belief.

Having Ober start game 1 vs Baltimore and then 5th game out of the break was asinine.

Especially when you throw Maeda first. Dont give me an innings limit excuse. We threw Maeda who misse 2.5 months after missing 1.5 years lol.
Do you realize that Maeda will be an Unrestricted Free Agent in 2024 while the Twins have control over Ober for several seasons in the future?

Maeda had 10 days rest. My guess, Ober is going to be limited to 150 or (160something tops) Innings Pitched this season. He did not throw any competitive innings in 2020 due to the Minors being cancelled. 2021 had 108 IP & 2022 had 72 IP (currently at 106).

He's likely going to be skipped a few times, unless they go with a 6 man rotation by adding Kuechel (or someone else).

They swept Oakland and Ober got the W in a Quality Start yesterday. With 20/20 hindsight, it worked out great.

Last edited:

from blogger Jeremy Maschino:

in the last 30 days, the Twins have had 7 players (with minimum of 60 plate appearances) who have a wRC+ of 100 or higher:

1. Julien 195
2. Kepler 144
3. Solano 129
4. Kirilloff 128
5. Correa 110
6. Gallo 106
7. Farmer 100

Do you realize that Maeda will be an Unrestricted Free Agent in 2024 while the Twins have control over Ober for several seasons in the future?

Maeda had 10 days rest. My guess, Ober is going to be limited to 150 or (160something tops) Innings Pitched this season. He did not throw any competitive innings in 2020 due to the Minors being cancelled. 2021 had 108 IP & 2022 had 72 IP (currently at 106).

He's likely going to be skipped a few times, unless they go with a 6 man rotation by adding Kuechel (or someone else).

They swept Oakland and Ober got the W in a Quality Start yesterday. With 20/20 hindsight, it worked out great.
They have to call Kuechel up by ~7/31 or he can opt out. He's pitching well enough at AAA that he certainly will, so I expect him up soon.

They should just give Ober a mental health break for 10 days and see how Kuechel does for two starts. Then either go 6 man rotation, put Maeda in the bullpen, or cut bait with one of Maeda/Kuechel.

from blogger Jeremy Maschino:

in the last 30 days, the Twins have had 7 players (with minimum of 60 plate appearances) who have a wRC+ of 100 or higher:

1. Julien 195
2. Kepler 144
3. Solano 129
4. Kirilloff 128
5. Correa 110
6. Gallo 106
7. Farmer 100
How Gallo keeps decent #'s just by hitting a HR once a week and drawing a couple walks puzzles me, even if I understand the math technically.

They have to call Kuechel up by ~7/31 or he can opt out. He's pitching well enough at AAA that he certainly will, so I expect him up soon.

They should just give Ober a mental health break for 10 days and see how Kuechel does for two starts. Then either go 6 man rotation, put Maeda in the bullpen, or cut bait with one of Maeda/Kuechel.
Other things just to keep in mind, the roster does expand to 28 in September so there is a little more flexibility possible, though not wacky 40 as it was prior to 2021.

Also the Twins off days are kind of bunched up. After this 13 games in a row stretch, they are off 7/27 & 7/31. Then another 13 game in a row stretch with 3 days off in rapid fire, 8/14, 8/17 & 8/21. Just saying switching up the order could be enough specifically with Ober in terms of load management.

I don't think they have any make-up games on the horizon where they "need" a spot starter, but still they might go the 6man route.

How Gallo keeps decent #'s just by hitting a HR once a week and drawing a couple walks puzzles me, even if I understand the math technically.
Watching Gallo at the plate is like a rerun of Sano. Once he gets two strikes on him you can close your eyes for a few seconds and when you open them you will see him walking back to the dugout. He has to be the easiest out in baseball because he rarely puts the ball in play.

Two days in a row with no Buxton.

To go back to Kepler that’s why he needs to go on rehab assignments coming back from injury. He was absolutely dreadful the first few games back from his last injury and now he’s looking passable again.

Other things just to keep in mind, the roster does expand to 28 in September so there is a little more flexibility possible, though not wacky 40 as it was prior to 2021.

Also the Twins off days are kind of bunched up. After this 13 games in a row stretch, they are off 7/27 & 7/31. Then another 13 game in a row stretch with 3 days off in rapid fire, 8/14, 8/17 & 8/21. Just saying switching up the order could be enough specifically with Ober in terms of load management.

I don't think they have any make-up games on the horizon where they "need" a spot starter, but still they might go the 6man route.
They've also already used an option on Ober this year, so they don't have to IL him, they can just send him to St Paul for 10 days but not pitch him.

Watching Gallo at the plate is like a rerun of Sano. Once he gets two strikes on him you can close your eyes for a few seconds and when you open them you will see him walking back to the dugout. He has to be the easiest out in baseball because he rarely puts the ball in play.
Same with Buck. Two strikes and the fat lady's singing.

I’ve always wondered if anyone has ever had unsuccessful surgery in sports. Twins announce that surgeon started on the wrong elbow and then when on the correct elbow cut to deep and had to amputate his arm. Like how do you know if the surgery is successful until you start rehabbing and trying to do things again?

No my logic was not anything about two months ago why do you keep saying that hahaha

I posted a stat about KEPLER SINCE HE RETURNED from the IL.

You then cherry picked "30 days" and called that "right now".

I then taught you literal english. And show that "right now" leading into todays game Gallo has been better this road trip. Over each last 7 games. And over their last 15 games. Meaning if you had one fucking brain cell that Kepler was better TWO weeks ago through FOUR weeks ago.

Everyone can read this thread and see you are a fucking moron. You keep shifting goal posts and come out looking like a bigger dumbass.

FUCKING DIPSHIT
giphy.gif

Post all star game offense > pre all star game offense

No my logic was not anything about two months ago why do you keep saying that hahaha

I posted a stat about KEPLER SINCE HE RETURNED from the IL.

You then cherry picked "30 days" and called that "right now".

I then taught you literal english. And show that "right now" leading into todays game Gallo has been better this road trip. Over each last 7 games. And over their last 15 games. Meaning if you had one fucking brain cell that Kepler was better TWO weeks ago through FOUR weeks ago.

Everyone can read this thread and see you are a fucking moron. You keep shifting goal posts and come out looking like a bigger dumbass.

FUCKING DIPSHIT
giphy.gif

I’ve always wondered if anyone has ever had unsuccessful surgery in sports. Twins announce that surgeon started on the wrong elbow and then when on the correct elbow cut to deep and had to amputate his arm. Like how do you know if the surgery is successful until you start rehabbing and trying to do things again?
Two things we'll never hear in sports "the surgery went terrible" and "the coach/player and his wife hate it here and can't wait to get out of this hell hole."

Also...they did TJS and a "host of other procedures"...how well could it have gone?

The minute I saw Rocco come out of the dugout in the bottom of the 7th, I told all who would listen that the next Mariners hitter would put the first pitch into the bullpen.

I was wrong. It was the 4th pitch, and it went into the seats above the bullpen.

Top Bottom