All Things 2023-24 Minnesota Wild In-Season Thread

The Minnesota Wild have signed defensemen Zach Bogosian to a 2 year, $2.5 million dollar extension with a cap hit of $1.25 million annually per season.

Let's say the Wild were out of their salary cap mess and could hypothetically add an all-star caliber center and all-star caliber defenseman that has good offensive production.

How much better would they actually be?

Last night Wild 5 Arizona 2

TEMPE, Ariz. -- — Joel Eriksson Ek broke a third-period tie with his 29th goal, Marc-Andre Fleury made 23 saves and the Minnesota Wild beat the Arizona Coyotes 5-2 on Thursday night.

After Zach Bogosian pulled the Wild even at 2 two minutes into the third period, Ek beat goalie Karel Vejmelka with a wrist shot from the left circle at 7:16.

“I like how we didn’t overthink it and kept playing,” said Fleury, whose team fell behind 2-1 early in the third.

Kirill Kaprizov had his 30th goal, Brock Faber and Connor Seward added empty-netters and Mats Zuccarello had three assists. Minnesota has won two straight after a three-game skid dropped it nine points out of the final Western Conference wild card..

The Athletic weighs in on Minnesota's trade deadline moves...

Rating: 5 out of 10

Analysis:
It’s hard to score this because it was obviously an underwhelming deadline in the midst of a disappointing season, but it’s exactly what Joe Smith and I forecasted — that Zach Bogosian would be re-signed and free agents Brandon Duhaime, Connor Dewar and Pat Maroon would likely be dealt for picks. It’s a broken record, but if the training camp extensions to Mats Zuccarello, Marcus Foligno and Ryan Hartman didn’t happen, the deadline would have had a lot more spice. — Michael Russo

That’s some coaching right there. I mean it’s not gonna matter but pulling the goalie in overtime is something.

That’s some coaching right there. I mean it’s not gonna matter but pulling the goalie in overtime is something.

That was fun to watch, just wish they wouldn't have coughed up the regulation lead, handed Nashville a point in a WC race where every point will matter.

That’s a first. The Wild are in overtime against Nashville and obviously need points. They pull Fluery when it’s 3 on 3 to make it 4 on 3 and they score to win it. That is a first for me and probably every other hockey fan

So had they lost the game with goalie pulled in overtime they would have lost their 1 point. I’ve never heard such a rule. Then again I’ve never seen that happen

That was fun to watch, just wish they wouldn't have coughed up the regulation lead, handed Nashville a point in a WC race where every point will matter.

Congratulations to your Golden Knights too! Last night they beat the Red Wings snapping their 5 game losing streak and getting them their 2nd victory in their last 9 games.

As Wild fans know injuries can wreck havoc on a team. Hope they can heal for their playoff run.

That was a horrible call giving the Predators a chance to tie the game in regulation. The replays showed Ek barely touched him.

Last edited:

ST. PAUL, Minn. -- — Minnesota pulled its goaltender in overtime and Matt Boldyscored to lift the Wild to a 4-3 victory over the Nashville Predators on Sunday.

Wild goalie Marc-Andre Fleury skated off 3:30 into OT, giving Minnesota a 4-on-3 advantage. Seconds later, Boldy got a pass from Mats Zuccarello and beat Predators goalie Juuse Saros for his 24th goal.

Nashville’s Ryan O’Reilly scored a power-play goal with 2:02 remaining in regulation, helping the Predators avoid what would have been their first regulation loss since Feb. 15. Nashville is 10-0-2 in its last 12 games.

Both teams scored in each of the three regulation periods. Ryan Hartman gave the Wild a 3-2 lead with an unassisted breakaway goal in the third.

Minnesota’s Joel Eriksson Ek was called for hooking with 2:47 to play, and O’Reilly’s 24th goal tied it at 3..

That was a horrible call giving the Predators a chance to tie the game in regulation. The replays showed Ek barely touched him.
Not only that he only had one hand on his stick. Tough to hook someone with one hand

Today in North Stars history, 40 years ago today (March 12th, 1984), the North Stars, and the Montreal Canadiens had a bench clearing brawl that lasted 15 minutes, and featured 139 penalty minutes (80 to Montreal)

Minnesota was down 6-3 with fewer than six minutes left in the game, but roared back to tie the game in regulation, and won the game in OT, 7-6

Information from NHL Fight ClubIMG_4949.jpegIMG_4950.jpegIMG_4951.jpeg

ST. PAUL, Minn. -- — Kirill Kaprizov scored two goals and assisted on another, and Marc-Andre Fleury made 21 saves as the Minnesota Wild earned their fourth victory in five games, 4-1 over the Arizona Coyotes on Tuesday night.

Kaprizov scored an empty-netter with 2:32 to play, firing the puck the length of the ice to seal the win. Arizona had pulled goalie Karel Vejmelka with just under three minutes remaining.

Ryan Hartman and Marcus Foligno also scored for Minnesota. Foligno's goal was an empty-netter after Arizona pulled Vejmelka a second time in the final minutes..

Fun fact: Did you know that Khusnutdinov has one of the longest surnames in NHL history?

With 12 characters in his name, Khusnutdinov poses a challenge for all #mnwild merchandise shops.

The league hasn't seen many longer names:
Brackenborough (14), Makhamadullin (13), Vanbiesbrouck (13), Langenbrunner (13).

Khusnutdinov has the same number of letters as Konstantinov or Marchessault.

In fact, there have been longer surnames in the league, but they were compound or two-word names (Forsbacka Karlsson, Lavallee-Smotherman, or Létourneau-Leblond...).

Fun fact: Did you know that Khusnutdinov has one of the longest surnames in NHL history?

With 12 characters in his name, Khusnutdinov poses a challenge for all #mnwild merchandise shops.

The league hasn't seen many longer names:
Brackenborough (14), Makhamadullin (13), Vanbiesbrouck (13), Langenbrunner (13).

Khusnutdinov has the same number of letters as Konstantinov or Marchessault.

In fact, there have been longer surnames in the league, but they were compound or two-word names (Forsbacka Karlsson, Lavallee-Smotherman, or Létourneau-Leblond...).
Now pronounce it if you really want to impress someone. 😉

Wild beat the Ducks 2-0 for Fluerys 75th career shutout and 560th win. Wild are now 4 points from a Wild card spot. Blues in St Louis Saturday. Every game is pretty much a playoff game from here on out unless they go in a major slump

The new Russian is by far the wilds best face off guy.
A sight for sore eyes

I was looking at last night's box score on ESPN.

I didn't watch the game, but how the hell did Ryan Hartman end up taking 18 face offs?

Wild, Kirill Kaprizov stay on a roll with 2-0 shutout over Ducks

Marc-Andre Fleury turned in a 16-save shutout as the Wild won for the third game in a row and are 5-0-1 in the last six

Life is easier for the Wild, too, when Kaprizov plays this way.

Kaprizov scored for a third straight game and goaltender Marc-Andre Fleury turned in a 16-save shutout in a 2-0 dismissal of the Anaheim Ducks on Thursday night at Xcel Energy Center that helped the Wild climb within four points of a playoff spot.

They have won three in a row and are 5-0-1 in their past six games.

During that run, Kaprizov has eight goals, including his third hat trick of the season.

Fleury and the Wild also had a third-period Anaheim goal overturned on a coach's challenge because the Ducks were offside.

This was Fleury's second shutout of the season and 75th in his career.

"I didn't do much back there," said Fleury, who's on a four-game win streak. "I thought we played solid. We didn't give them much."

The Wild were without Joel Eriksson Ek, who is day-to-day with a lower-body injury.

In his absence, Marat Khusnutdinov made his NHL debut after signing with the Wild last month and leaving Russia where he played after getting drafted by the team in 2020.

"I thought it was a good first game," coach John Hynes said. "We were able to get the win. He had some good quality minutes."

Khusnutdinov logged 11:54, blocked a team-high four shots and went 6-for-9 on faceoffs while skating on the power play (the Wild were 0-for-2 and Anaheim 0-for-1) and getting cheered during his first shift and after he won his first two faceoffs.

"It's crazy," Khusnutdinov said. "Two faceoffs? Whoa, OK, thank you..

Wild manage to get a point in their shootout loss to the Blues last night. Kaprizov with his 34th goal but is now 0 for 6 in shootouts this year

Top Bottom