All Things 2023-24 Minnesota Wild In-Season Thread

Fleury is now second in all time wins for a goalie with 552, one better than Roy and he does it in style with a 5-0 shutout of the Islanders

Marc-Andre Fleury passes Patrick Roy for second place on NHL career wins list as Wild shut out Islanders

The Wild snapped their losing streak and all it took was some history from Marc-Andre Fleury as the goaltender made 21 saves to shut out the Islanders and pass Patrick Roy in the NHL record books.

Marc-Andre Fleury got pulled from a junior game once when he was 16 years old.

Back then, the Cape Breton Screaming Eagles who Fleury played for in the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League had the backup goalie on the bench track shots and where they came from. After the game, then-coach Pascal Vincent looked at the paper Fleury should have been scribbling on, but there weren't any stats.

All Fleury wrote was, "I'm not a statistician. I'm a goalie."

The second-winningest goaltender of all-time, eventually.

A week-plus after tying Patrick Roy, Fleury passed his childhood idol — the goalie he used to pretend to be — on Monday to take sole possession of second place in NHL history at 552 wins after the Wild blanked the Islanders 5-0 at Xcel Energy Center to snap their four-game slide since Fleury matched Roy on Jan. 6 at Columbus.

"I always admire seeing you jumping on the ice, watching you practicing with your teammates or playing games, challenging your teammates, your opponent," Roy said in a video message the Wild released while commemorating Fleury playing 1,000 games last month. "But I always admire the fun you had on the ice."..

Now I hear Spurgeon may not return at all this season

Gustafson may have been a flash in the pan. 7 more given up last night

Wild 4 Florida Panthers 1 with 6:41 left in the 2nd period.

Minnesota Wild (19-21-5) beat the Florida Panthers (27-14-4) 6-4 down in Sunrise,FL.

Unfortunately the injuries just keep on coming.

SUNRISE, Fla. — A night after getting blitzed by the NHL's best power play, the Wild played like they were taking notes.

They went from getting scored on three times by Tampa Bay to putting on their own five-goal clinic in a 6-4 turnaround against the Panthers on Friday at Amerant Bank Arena that tied the franchise record but at a price.

Marc-Andre Fleury left in the second period with an upper-body injury and did not return.

Forwards Connor Dewar and Marcus Johansson also didn't finish the second. Dewar suffered a lower-body injury and exited after a neutral-zone collision with Florida's Gustav Forsling sent Dewar crashing to the ice. Johansson was elbowed in the head by Aaron Ekblad along the boards late in the period; he later returned during the third.

Already, the Wild were without Frederick Gaudreau, who suffered an upper-body injury in the 7-3 meltdown to the Lightning on Thursday. Earlier that day, the team announced season-ending surgery for captain Jared Spurgeon for nagging hip and back issues..

Last edited:

Kaprizov scores 3 to lead Wild to 5-2 win over Hurricanes

RALEIGH, N.C. -- — Kirill Kaprizov scored three goals for his second career hat trick, and Joel Eriksson Ek had the tiebreaking goal in the third period to lead the Minnesota Wild to a 5-2 win over the Carolina Hurricanes on Sunday.

Jake Middleton also scored for the Wild in their third win in four games after losing eight of nine. Filip Gustavsson stopped 40 shots.

Martin Necas and Michael Bunting had goals for Carolina, which finished 3-2-1 on a six-game homestand. Antti Raanta finished with 14 saves.

Eriksson Ek scored at 9:32 of the third to give the Wild a 3-2 lead as he controlled the rebound of a shot by Jonas Brodin and then got two chances to beat Raanta. That came just 75 seconds after Bunting had tied it for the Hurricanes.

Kaprizov and Middleton added empty-net goals for the Wild in the final 2:01. Kaprizov got his 18th of the season to finish off his first hat trick since last Feb. 26 against Columbus..

Marcus Johansson scores twice, Wild beat Capitals 5-3 for 3rd straight win

ST. PAUL, Minn. -- — Marcus Johansson scored twice, Joel Eriksson Ek and Marcus Foligno each had a goal and an assist, and the Minnesota Wild beat the Washington Capitals 5-3 on Tuesday night.

Eleven players had points for the Wild, including a goal from Brock Faber, and Filip Gustavsson made 31 saves for his third straight win.

Minnesota has won three in a row and four of five after losing eight of nine.

Anthony Mantha scored twice and T.J. Oshie once for the punchless Capitals. Washington has lost four of seven, scoring more than two goals in just three of those games.

Blanked on Saturday in St. Louis, the Capitals began the night averaging 2.34 goals per game, third-worst in the NHL, ahead of only Chicago and San Jose.

Scoring has not been a problem for Faber..

The Wild losing on HDM is wonderful. Please just bail on this season and start shipping guys out.

There are five teams that have fewer points than the Wild. Ouch.

Damn, for some reason I thought this was the last year they were on the hook for Suter and Parise but they still have to endure next year as well; $14.7M.

That's a lot of money on the books and nothing in return, in a salary cap league.

There are five teams that have fewer points than the Wild. Ouch.

Damn, for some reason I thought this was the last year they were on the hook for Suter and Parise but they still have to endure next year as well; $14.7M.

That's a lot of money on the books and nothing in return, in a salary cap league.
Shit. I thought they were done with those contracts too

Teams getting cap relief for guys about to be charged with sexual assault is certainly something. Good thing no one like the nhl or pays attention to it.

Vegas spoils Edmonton's bid to tie the NHL all-time record for consecutive wins, dumping the Oilers at the Fortress last night, 3-1.

"">February 7,

Also the winter classic of Chicago vs at Louis is gonna be great. Not like we’ve seen that before. Of course Chicago will have last years 1st overall pick and this years 1st overall pick as the NHL just has to support them for some reason.

CHICAGO -- — Marcus Foligno and Nick Foligno both scored Wednesday night. Marcus Foligno also got into a fight, and then walked away with the win.

This one went to the younger brother.

Marcus Foligno snapped a third-period tie and Filip Gustavsson made 20 saves, sending the Minnesota Wild to a 2-1 victory over Nick Foligno and the lowly Chicago Blackhawks.

The Foligno brothers matched up in the first game for the Central Division foes after the All-Star break, and Marcus Foligno's ninth of the season lifted Minnesota to its 11th consecutive victory over Chicago. Foligno also tangled with Blackhawks defenseman Jarred Tinordi in the second.

“Yeah, it's weird,” Foligno said of fighting with his brother's teammate. “Nick says they're all good guys.”..

Wild continue strong play after break with 3-2 victory over Penguins in Marc-Andre Fleury's return

On a night he was honored for career milestones, Marc-Andre Fleury returned to the starting spot after a long layoff and turned in a brilliant 32-save performance.

The Wild pulled out all the stops to honor the future Hall-of-Famer for playing 1,000 games and becoming the second-winningest goaltender of all-time, including a 3-2 win over the Penguins that capped off the celebration.

Fleury's 33 saves were an appropriate encore to the accolades, especially the nine in a row he rattled off after Kirill Kaprizov split a 2-2 tie with 10 minutes, 26 seconds to go in the third period.

This was Fleury's 553rd victory and his first since he posted No. 552 on Jan. 15 to move past Patrick Roy for the second place in NHL history.

His last win before that was Jan. 6 when he became only the fourth goalie to log 1,000 games, and both milestones were recognized before puck drop..

The Flower was unbelievable last night especially in those last 2 minutes when it was 6 on 4. Absolutely incredible

Minnesota Wild top defending champion Golden Knights 5-3 in Vegas​

LAS VEGAS -- — Joel Eriksson Ek scored twice and the Minnesota Wild beat the Vegas Golden Knights 5-3 on Monday night for their third straight win.

Mats Zuccarello, Marco Rossi and Matt Boldy also scored to help Minnesota win for the sixth time in eight games. Filip Gustavsson made 27 saves.

Jonathan Marchessault, Michael Amadio and Mark Stone scored for Vegas, while Adin Hill stopped 24 shots...

Great win by the boys. They always seem to do well against Vegas

4 in a row. This team just won’t say no. Keep us fans interested in making the playoffs. Another win for the Flower
Certainly looking like a much improved bunch, I just suspect they dug themselves too deep of a hole to get out of at this point. Hope I'm wrong.

Wild win coach's challenge, earn payback in 3-1 victory over Coyotes

The Wild kept their lead on a goalie interference call and then dented Arizona's playoff chances and boosted their own with a fourth straight win, 3-1, on Wednesday night.

TEMPE, Ariz. – Marc-Andre Fleury didn't have to make a scene to protest the goal.

The nearest official was within earshot of the Wild goaltender.

"He was right there, so he was easy to talk to," Fleury said. "Didn't have to yell too much."

Fleury's argument was that the Arizona Coyotes' Barrett Hayton was in the crease impeding Fleury's ability to stop a shot from Nick Schmaltz on Wednesday night that erased the Wild's one-goal lead late in the second period.

"I couldn't go down," Fleury said. "He was so close to me. My foot got stuck, I think, on his foot."

But Fleury didn't really need to plead his case: The evidence was on video.

"It was pretty clear," Wild coach John Hynes said.

That overturned goal, initiated by a coach's challenge, reinstated the Wild's advantage, which they then padded only minutes later to set up a 3-1 victory over Arizona at Mullett Arena that had plenty of positive ramifications for the Wild:

— They swept their two-game road trip and have won four in a row, their longest winning streak since their last four-game run Dec. 19-27. The Wild are 7-2 in their last nine games..

Last edited:

WILD MIGHT HAVE FOUND SOMETHING SPECIAL WITH NEW TOP LINE
NHL
BY DANE MIZUTANI - St. Paul Pioneer Press
TEMPE, Ariz. — Talking to reporters in the hours leading up to Wednesday night’s puck drop between the Wild and the Arizona Coyotes, Joel Eriksson Ek joked that he isn’t nearly as skilled as Minnesota teammates Kirill Kaprizov and Matt Boldy.

When a reporter told Eriksson Ek that his 23 goals would suggest otherwise, he didn’t miss a beat, quipping “All good passes.”

Though his style might not be the flashiest, Eriksson Ek has worked extremely well playing in between Kaprizov and Boldy over the past two games. The trio has made life miserable for opponents in recent wins over the Pittsburgh Penguins and Vegas Golden Knights.

That’s exactly what head coach John Hynes was hoping for when he concocted the new top line. Why does he think the combination has worked so well? “They’re all playing a game that’s hard to play against,” Hynes said. “It starts with their willingness to skate and compete on pucks.”

It hasn’t been a case of Eriksson Ek dishing out pretty passes to Kaprizov and Boldy off the rush.

Instead, they have worked together as a unit to make the right play whenever possible. Even if that means dumping the puck in and going to work on the forecheck.

“I think they’re putting pucks to good spots that allow them to continue to put the group they’re playing against under duress,” Hynes said.

“That’s a real recipe to win. They’re talented players that are playing with the hardness and competitiveness that we need. I think their puck management is setting them up to be an attacking group.”

Asked about the new top line having success as of late, Eriksson Ek pointed to their competitive level every time they hop over the boards.

“We’re working hard and winning a lot of 1-on- 1 battles,” he said. “It’s a good recipe to play a lot with the puck and create chances.”

Eriksson Ek’s tenacity also seems to be pulling Kaprizov and Boldy into the fight. There haven’t been any passengers since they have been put together. That’s not a coincidence.

“Just playing our own styles and doing it together,”

Boldy said. “It’s hard to defend. It doesn’t matter who has the puck. We can protect it and get out of there and make plays.”

The results have spoken for themselves. Not counting the matchup between the Wild and the Coyotes, in the two games since becoming the new top line, Eriksson Ek has two goals and one assist, Kaprizov has one goal and three assists, and Boldy has two goals and three assists.

“We’re all competitive guys,” Eriksson Ek said.

“We want to win. To do that, we need to play with the puck and create chances. That’s where it all starts.”

Certainly looking like a much improved bunch, I just suspect they dug themselves too deep of a hole to get out of at this point. Hope I'm wrong.

Definitely good to see them winning, although winning 3 games against teams in the bottom 9 in the NHL (PIT, CHI, ARI) and a VGK team playing without Jack Eichel, Shea Theodore, William Carrier, Pavel Dorofeyev, and Ben Hutton.... gotta pump the brakes a little bit on long term enthusiasm a little? They've definitely got some really good young talent on the roster though.

They flashed a crazy stat late in the MIN-VGK game the other night, I had no idea. In the last 11 years, the Wild lead the NHL in playoff appearances with 10, and they've won like 2 playoff series in the last 21 years. Uff Da!!!!

I saw this pop up as a notification on my phone this morning. passing it along just for fun. from NHL Trade Rumor.com:

As the NHL trade deadline approaches, the rumor mill is working overtime, and one of the hottest topics this month involves the Detroit Red Wings’ potential blockbuster trade for Minnesota Wild’s star player, Kirill Kaprizov.

According to NHL rumors, the proposed trade includes Justin Holl, Jonatan Berggren, Nate Danielson, and a 2024 first-round pick from the Red Wings in exchange for Kaprizov.

according to the article, if you buy their reasoning, the Wild are not a Stanley Cup contender, and the trade could bring in more assets that help the team rebuild. meanwhile, Detroit is looking to add talent to make them a Cup contender.

not saying I buy the argument - just thought it was interesting. (and you probably won't hear about it on BSN)

I saw this pop up as a notification on my phone this morning. passing it along just for fun. from NHL Trade Rumor.com:

As the NHL trade deadline approaches, the rumor mill is working overtime, and one of the hottest topics this month involves the Detroit Red Wings’ potential blockbuster trade for Minnesota Wild’s star player, Kirill Kaprizov.

According to NHL rumors, the proposed trade includes Justin Holl, Jonatan Berggren, Nate Danielson, and a 2024 first-round pick from the Red Wings in exchange for Kaprizov.

according to the article, if you buy their reasoning, the Wild are not a Stanley Cup contender, and the trade could bring in more assets that help the team rebuild. meanwhile, Detroit is looking to add talent to make them a Cup contender.

not saying I buy the argument - just thought it was interesting. (and you probably won't hear about it on BSN)
Thoughts, TRF?

The Wild didn't return home with the same sharpness they had on the road, and it cost them their win streak.

They were off against the Sabres, fading 3-2 in overtime on Saturday at Xcel Energy Center to blow a chance at a season-high five consecutive victories.

This was the third time the Wild have stumbled after winning four in a row.

Buffalo's Henri Jokiharju delivered the tiebreaker just 1 minute, 29 seconds into overtime to cap off a comeback that started when Dylan Cozens buried the equalizer with 37 seconds left in a goal-mouth scramble while goaltender Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen was on the bench for an extra attacker.

Before that, Eden Prairie's Casey Mittelstadt broke a 0-0 stalemate only 39 seconds into the third period, wiring a shot past Wild goalie Filip Gustavsson off the rush. Just 3:23 later, Kirill Kaprizov hauled a turnover into Sabres turnover and sent the puck to the front of the net where Joel Eriksson Ek chipped the puck by Luukkonen.

Thoughts, TRF?
That’s a tough one. Selfishly I want him to stay in Minny forever because I love watching him play but realistically it wouldn’t be a bad haul for him. Considering how long they waited to get him in a Wild jersey I don’t see it happening at this time

Top Bottom