All Things 2023-2024 Minnesota Twins Off-Season Thread

Please 🎅 Santa,

Don’t let the Dodgers win the WS this year - they are naughty and fraudulent, as their only WS win since 1988, was in the COVID season, so that doesn’t really count any way.

Please 🎅 Santa,

Don’t let the Dodgers win the WS this year - they are naughty and fraudulent, as their only WS win since 1988, was in the COVID season, so that doesn’t really count any way.
Ohtani presumably won't be healthy enough to pitch in 2024, so the Dodgers will be facing that "hardship".

Please 🎅 Santa,

Tiki would like a word...something regarding a lump of coal and where he's going to put it.

thoughts

1. the Dodgers have the most lucrative RSN/local media rights deal in MLB - estimated at up to or more than $300-million a year.

2. The Dodgers have committed future payments of over $1-Billion to two players

3. at the present, the Twins have no local media TV deal.

4. the Twins have not signed any players in the off-season and have watched 40% of their pitching rotation leave for deals with other clubs

ipso facto: the Twins are sitting at the little kids table for Christmas dinner. the Dodgers are sitting at the head of the grown-ups table and they get to carve up the ham. (or turkey, or whatever your family eats for Christmas. for my Scandinavian family, it's meatballs and lefse)

thoughts

1. the Dodgers have the most lucrative RSN/local media rights deal in MLB - estimated at up to or more than $300-million a year.

2. The Dodgers have committed future payments of over $1-Billion to two players

3. at the present, the Twins have no local media TV deal.

4. the Twins have not signed any players in the off-season and have watched 40% of their pitching rotation leave for deals with other clubs

ipso facto: the Twins are sitting at the little kids table for Christmas dinner. the Dodgers are sitting at the head of the grown-ups table and they get to carve up the ham. (or turkey, or whatever your family eats for Christmas. for my Scandinavian family, it's meatballs and lefse)
Not to mention the amount of Ad revenue they are going to generate from Japan with these tow guys.

Please 🎅 Santa,

giphy.gif

Lobster and caviar.

Lobster and caviar.
Serious question 🙋

If they don’t make the WS this year, do you want Roberts fired and will he be?

I won’t dignify using his first name, as that should only be followed by Lopes -one ofmy favorite players of that era.

Serious question 🙋

If they don’t make the WS this year, do you want Roberts fired and will he be?

I won’t dignify using his first name, as that should only be followed by Lopes -one ofmy favorite players of that era.
He's a great in-season manager. He's a really bad playoff manager. I still can't believe he put Kershaw in as the closer a few years ago.

To your question...yes he should be and I doubt it.

TV rights update from Phil Miller at the Strib:

The Twins have been in negotiations this past week with Bally Sports North over televising the team's games in 2024. No telling yet if the fees being discussed constitute a Christmas bonus for the budget-conscious Twins.

Though the Twins' contract with BSN, which paid the team more than $54 million for the 2023 season, expired at season's end, the regional sports network and its bankrupt parent company, Diamond Sports Group, have expressed "strong and sincere interest" in renewing their ties for one more year, according to two sources with knowledge of the talks. Discussions took place this past week, though neither source would confirm published reports that the network made a formal offer, nor reveal the funding being proposed.

Since BSN asserted at a bankruptcy court hearing in Houston that the network loses money televising the Twins, it's presumed that BSN's offer is lower, probably substantially so, than their expired contract called for.

A hearing in federal bankruptcy court will be held in Houston on Jan. 10, with judge Christopher Lopez expected to rule on whether Diamond's deal with its MLB partners, which has yet to be signed, can go forward.

That hearing serves as an unofficial deadline for the Twins, sources said, and an announcement about the team's intentions could follow soon afterward. If they agree to BSN's terms, their broadcasting plans will be settled; if not, it appears the Twins' only option will be to ask MLB to produce and distribute its games, as the league did last year (and will continue to in 2024) for the Padres and Diamondbacks when their Bally regional networks terminated their contracts.

Even if the Twins strike a deal with BSN for satellite and cable broadcasts, it's possible they could ask MLB to stream their games on its MLB.TV app. Several teams are reportedly leery of allowing Bally to stream games after many technical issues cropped up on the app while streaming NBA and NHL games.

Fun factoid from last season regarding our massacre in Da Bronx -

THEIR SECOND FIRST ACT — In an April 13 visit to Yankee Stadium, the Twins just might have fired off the Strangest But Truest back-to-back homers ever. You know what their Nos. 1-2 hitters, Edouard Julien and Carlos Correa, did that day? They went back-to-back in the first inning. But that’s not the Strange But True part … because that has happened before.

You know what had never happened before? That would be a team’s 1-2 hitters going back-to-back in the first inning … but not to lead off the game. Turns out it’s helpful to feats like this if their teammates work a convenient little nine-run first-inning bat-around into their busy schedule. Whaddaya know.

Louis, Louis, Louis -

NICKEL BACKS — Is Five Hit Fever something a guy could catch just hanging around the batting cage? We ask because Marlins hit machine Luis Arraez definitely caught it this June. How Strange But True is this:

Arraez in June: three five-hit games in 16 days.

Miguel Cabrera in his 21-year career:two five-hit games in 2,797 games.

These are from an article in The Athletic regarding baseball wonkyness -

IT’S ALL CYCLICAL — We could have worked the Reds’ human tool kit, Elly De La Cruz, into this column about 12 different ways. Did you know he hit a baseball this year harder (119.2 mph) than any ball hit by Aaron Judge? That seems like a cool thing to do for the fastest dude on the field.
On June 23, he hit for the cycle — in the 15th game of his career.

On July 8, he stole for the cycle — by stealing second, third and home in the same inning.

And even though stealing for the cycle is a thing we just invented, it’s still a thing you need to be in awe of, if only because he also stole third and home on the same pitch.

These are from an article in The Athletic regarding baseball wonkyness -

IT’S ALL CYCLICAL — We could have worked the Reds’ human tool kit, Elly De La Cruz, into this column about 12 different ways. Did you know he hit a baseball this year harder (119.2 mph) than any ball hit by Aaron Judge? That seems like a cool thing to do for the fastest dude on the field.
On June 23, he hit for the cycle — in the 15th game of his career.

On July 8, he stole for the cycle — by stealing second, third and home in the same inning.

And even though stealing for the cycle is a thing we just invented, it’s still a thing you need to be in awe of, if only because he also stole third and home on the same pitch.
While the same pitch thing I am sure is revolutionary, I do recall hearing the term "Stealing for the Cycle" during Rod Carew's prime.

I used to think the were nuts for not demanding a roof on the new stadium, but that stadium makes me glad they didn't. Seems like it's nothing but trouble.
If you already have a massive indoor facility, like we have USBS, then you can easily get away with having the baseball stadium outdoors.

They need theirs to be the indoor facility for Milwaukee and Wisconsin in general. Only one in the state I believe. Now granted, as of now Chicago doesn't even have one. So "need" is subjective. You can do Monster Trucks and concerts in an outdoor stadium. But not in the cold ...

(You can also do Monster Trucks in NBA/NHL sized arenas. But it's not nearly as cool. And very stinky.)

If you already have a massive indoor facility, like we have USBS, then you can easily get away with having the baseball stadium outdoors.

They need theirs to be the indoor facility for Milwaukee and Wisconsin in general. Only one in the state I believe. Now granted, as of now Chicago doesn't even have one. So "need" is subjective. You can do Monster Trucks and concerts in an outdoor stadium. But not in the cold ...

(You can also do Monster Trucks in NBA/NHL sized arenas. But it's not nearly as cool. And very stinky.)
I'm not sure, but I don't think Miller Park (now American Family Field) is able to have events such as tractor pulls or concerts in the winter. There's no AC, and I don't think any heat. The roof is basically just a cover.

All the concerts have been at the same time as essentially as the MLB season.

The Badger basketball game was on November 11, 2022. That might be as late of a "winter" event they have had there.

Last edited:

Not bad. He was hurt most of last year. Was really good in 2021. Has good stuff.

Not bad. He was hurt most of last year. Was really good in 2021. Has good stuff.

Worth the flyer. But the success rate from that physical issue doesn’t seem promising.

Worth the flyer. But the success rate from that physical issue doesn’t seem promising.

Worked with Stewart, so worth a shot.

Top Bottom