All Things 2023-2024 Minnesota Timberwolves In-Season Thread

Wolves (18-5) beat Dallas (15-9) 119-101. Yep, Edwards had a bad night. 3-19 from the field, only 3-6 at the line and 9 pts. He did have 11 but he also had 5 turnovers. He certainly looked rusty. Just hope he still isn't hurting.

Naz was the surprise tonight. 27 points, 21 of them on 3's. Towns had 21 pts and 17 rebounds.

Turnovers were even and the Wolves out rebounded Dallas 45-34.

final score Wolves win 119-101. so after the bad start they outscored Dallas 117-84 the rest of the game.
Naz with 27
KAT 21 pts/17 reb
Ant only 9 pts but 11 assists

Good team win tonight.

I think the two best signs were
1) Ant struggled shooting and impacted the game defensively and facilitating with 11 assists. Even though he was still off- hip most likely still bothering him.

2) Rudy was in foul trouble early, had to hit the bench with 3 fouls midway through the second quarter and the team defense picked it up much better than earlier in the week vs NoLa then he came back in the 3rd and didn’t foul out impacting the 2nd half.

Completely took the will of Dallas from them. They were used and abused.

This was a great win.

My little epiphany after last night's game was that part of the reason Cuban is cashing out is he knows that Luka is going to demand a trade sooner rather than later. Luka is the most gifted offensive player in the league (also the biggest baby) who adds significant value to that franchise. He has nobody around him other than Kyrie and I'm sure it's a miserable partnership. He's not getting a ring in Dallas and being stuck with Kyrie only makes it worse is my guess.

Five minutes into the game, I was pretty sure that both teams would be clearing their benches before the end. I was right, just for the wrong reason.

I'll take it a step further. This team is a title contender.
We're Minnesotans. We can't have title contenders! :)

They need a real backup point guard. I think Conley has played every game so far. He should be taking games off and Finch should be reducing his minutes in order for him to make it through a 100 game season. Tyus Jones as a co starting pg is everybody's perfect roster addition. Would you trade Slo-Mo and Minott for Jones? Would the Wizards do that deal?

They need a real backup point guard. I think Conley has played every game so far. He should be taking games off and Finch should be reducing his minutes in order for him to make it through a 100 game season. Tyus Jones as a co starting pg is everybody's perfect roster addition. Would you trade Slo-Mo and Minott for Jones? Would the Wizards do that deal?
I would if the money worked out...too lazy to look at contracts.

No. Slo-Mo is too good of a glue guy. Conley is averaging under 30 mpg game, so it's not like they are over using him. The core of this team is too good to make any moves this season. If they can find a backup for a couple of 2nds then fine, otherwise leave the roster as is.

Jones would be a good addition and Kyle Anderson would be a good subtraction. Do the contracts match-up?

Looks like it would be about $11mil from Minnesota to Washington's $14M

No. Slo-Mo is too good of a glue guy. Conley is averaging under 30 mpg game, so it's not like they are over using him. The core of this team is too good to make any moves this season. If they can find a backup for a couple of 2nds then fine, otherwise leave the roster as is.

That's also a reasonable approach. Just wish Anderson could shoot and be more careful with the ball.

Last edited:

Naz Reid, Timberwolves bury Mavericks: ‘We’ve got a lot of weapons’​

A dominant third quarter shell shocks the opponent, who then flails in the fourth under increasing pressure.

The 119-101 win over Dallas on Thursday night was the most visceral example of that pattern yet.
The Mavericks, with the third-ranked offense in the league and fresh off a stirring victory over the red-hot Los Angeles Lakers, exploded out of the gates. Luka Dončić was getting whatever he wanted, scoring 12 points and hitting all four of his shots going plus-15 in the first three minutes to shred the No. 1 defense in the league. Before the Wolves even knew what hit them, they were down 17-2.

“It was on like Donkey Kong,” Wolves assistant coach Micah Nori said.

Dončić was feeling it, shaking his head at Jaden McDaniels, who some believe is the closest thing there is in the league to a Luka stopper, and getting him to pick up two early fouls. Grant Williams was hitting 3-pointers, Dereck Lively II was catching lobs and the Mavs looked like they were ready to run circles around the bigger Wolves defense.

Then the squeezing started. Over the final seven minutes of Dončić’s first shift of the game, he scored four points, went 2 of 6 from the field, turned the ball over twice and Minnesota outscored Dallas by nine points to get the deficit to a manageable 30-26 at the end of the first quarter. Dallas got up 12 3-pointers in the first quarter but only made four of them. Williams missed his final four from deep in the period and the looks in the Mavericks’ eyes went from cocksure to concerned.

In the second quarter, the Wolves eliminated the 3 from the Mavericks’ arsenal. They entered the game shooting almost 11 3s per quarter but managed only six attempts over those 12 minutes. All but two of them clanked. Some were open looks, but most were contested by the long arms of McDaniels, Nickeil Alexander-Walker, Naz Reid and the rest of the Wolves defense. Dallas still shot 55 percent from the field in the quarter, but they were taking the shots the Wolves wanted them to take, wrestling control of the pace and dictating the rules of engagement.

Through it all, coach Chris Finch kept waiting for the offense to catch up. Anthony Edwards, playing after missing almost all four of the previous five games with a hip pointer, was 2 of 11 in the first half. McDaniels was 1 of 4.

Thankfully for the Wolves, Reid brought his flamethrower to Dallas. The big man was 5 of 6 from deep in the first half, a 19-point eruption that surely had horns honking back home in Minnesota.

San Antonio (4-20) beat the Lakers (15-11) last night 129-115. Why is that worth noting?

San Antonio came in on an 18 game losing streak. Their last victory was on November 2nd against the Phoenix Suns.

It might just be me, but doesn't it seem like we are just horrendous out of the gate. The first 6-8 minutes are literally painful almost every single game.

The Wolves just pace themselves to keep it close in the 1st half. Then they grind everyone down to nothing in the 2nd half.

Wolves (19-5) beat the Pacers (13-11) 127-109. A game where Finch emptied the bench with 5 minutes left in the game.

Towns had 40pts, 12rbs, 4 assists
Edwards started slow but ended-up with 37pts
Reid also waited until the 2nd Half to get going. He got 17.

As Jim Peterson pointed out Tyrese Haliburton tonight joined a long line of star players who were rested when their team showed up to play the Wolves at the Target Center. Quite the coincidence.

Timberwolves overwhelm Pacers with enormous overall effort

Karl-Anthony Towns poured in 40 points, Anthony Edwards was right behind with 37 and the Wolves continued on their season-long domination.

The celebration at Target Center Saturday night, at least at first, was because Anthony Edwards first signature sneaker debuted in front of a sellout crowd. It took a while for the other shoe to drop.

But it did, big time.

After a rather slow first quarter and a half, the Timberwolves took over their game against Indiana, with Edwards and Karl-Anthony Towns leading the way in a 127-109 victory.

Towns was hot from start to finish, with 14 of his 40 points coming in the first quarter. He finished 15-for-25 overall, had 12 rebounds, four assists, three steals and two blocks.

Edwards? After going 0-for-4 in the first quarter, he hit 14 of his final 19 shots on the way to 37 points. He made seven of 10 three-pointers, had four assists and three steals to commemorate his new shoe. He and Towns took turns dominating the game, combining for 77 points on 29-for-48 making nine of 13 threes.

Towns' 40 was a season high for the Wolves (19-5). The Wolves hit 18 of 30 threes, a season high in both threes made an three-point shooting percentage..

Top Bottom