All Things 2023-2024 Minnesota Timberwolves In-Season Thread

Hypothetical. Spurs call and want to trade Wemby for Ant. Should Wolves say yes?
Tough call. 2023 Wemby looks lost, at least against a physical team like the wolves. 2026 Wemby, 25lbs heavier, smarter and more experienced, with better players around him, will be a monster.

Their last 3 wins/games have been against non-playoff or play-in games. The previous 17 games were against play-in or playoff teams.

The Wolves won 13 of them. Included beating the Championship Final teams Boston and Golden State, all 3 times they have played them.

These aren't your normal Timberwolves.
Agree that they aren't our normal wolves. However, some of the teams they've played this year that are normally playoff or play in teams are under performing. Of the 20 games they've played this year, ten have been against teams that are currently in the top ten in their conference. The wolves record against those teams is 8-2, which is excellent.

The next sixteen games after Friday are all against teams in the top ten in their conference. The next "scheduled win" is 1/12 at home against Portland.

Last edited:

Agree that they aren't our normal wolves. However, some of the teams they've played this year that are normally playoff or play in teams are under performing. Of the 20 games they've played this year, ten have been against teams that are currently in the top ten in their conference. The wolves record against those teams is 8-2, which is excellent.

The next sixteen games after Friday are all against teams in the top ten in their conference. The next "scheduled win" is 1/12 at home against Portland.

Yes, we run into a 16 game gauntlet after Friday. I will be thrilled if we come out of that stretch 8 - 8, but highly doubt if we will. Need McDaniels back .

Yes, we run into a 16 game gauntlet after Friday. I will be thrilled if we come out of that stretch 8 - 8, but highly doubt if we will. Need McDaniels back .
Assuming no major injuries, I think 8-8 or, possibly, 9-7 is achievable. There will be at least a couple of last possession losses on the road and one or two blow outs like the Suns game.

Hypothetical. Spurs call and want to trade Wemby for Ant. Should Wolves say yes?

Trade Edwards for another big man? No. Edwards is already a great player.

The Wolves are playing very well without their best Defensive player and their best/only dependable point guard off the bench. They won games without them and even a few games without Edwards.

Why? Because Towns and especially Gobert are playing the way Tim Connelly envisioned it would be when he made that trade for Gobert. Despite the naysayers still screaming that it won't work. The critics cry about the Wolves playing teams without key players but are always silent about the key players the Wolves are playing without.

They'll be better when McDaniels McLaughlin are back. They wouldn't be with 3 bigs starting.

Assuming no major injuries, I think 8-8 or, possibly, 9-7 is achievable. There will be at least a couple of last possession losses on the road and one or two blow outs like the Suns game.

5 home and 11 road. Home games are Lakers (2), Dallas, OKC, Indiana. Road games are all against top teams. Should at least give a good barometer where Wolves stand. Will be very interesting. Nice that we are in this position.

5 home and 11 road. Home games are Lakers (2), Dallas, OKC, Indiana. Road games are all against top teams. Should at least give a good barometer where Wolves stand. Will be very interesting. Nice that we are in this position.
Didn't realize the home/road schedule was that imbalanced. If the wolves go 8-8, I'll be thrilled.

I don't see a loss.

Didn't realize the home/road schedule was that imbalanced. If the wolves go 8-8, I'll be thrilled.

Has to be the toughest 16 game stretch any team faces this season.

Has to be the toughest 16 game stretch any team faces this season.

As of today, the Wolves have the 3rd easiest remaining schedule based in won-loss records. That 16-game stretch will be a monumental challenge. However, it must get significantly easier afterwards with a lot more Home games.

Suffering through 35 years of Wolves misery, I'm still nervous that the other shoe will eventually drop. At 16-4, I should have more faith than I do at this point.

Wolves are down in Memphis for a 7:00 game against the Grizzlies. As someone mentioned around here earlier it will be a game pulled ahead from the 2nd Half of the Season. Not an additional game.

The Timberwolves have won their last 5 games and Memphis has won 3 of their last 5. Including a loss to Minnesota on 11/26.

Injury Report​

i
Minnesota Timberwolves

NAME, POSSTATUSEST. RETURN DATE
Jordan McLaughlin
PG
GTDDec 8
Jaden McDaniels
PF
OUTDec 11

i
Memphis Grizzlies

NAME, POSSTATUSEST. RETURN DATE
Jake LaRavia
F
GTDDec 8

Edwards played a grand total of 4:00 minutes in the 1st before being taken to the locker room. Then at the 7:00 minute mark Conley went.

Might not be the "easy win" everybody was predicting.

Edwards played a grand total of 4:00 minutes in the 1st before being taken to the locker room. Then at the 7:00 minute mark Conley went.

Might not be the "easy win" everybody was predicting.

Conley came back in the 2nd. Edwards is done for the night.

Wolves up by 2 after the 1st Quarter and by 5 at the Half beat Memphis 127-103.

Gilbert had monster night. 16 PT 20 RB and 6 blocks. Kat had 24, 7 RB and 5 Assist. Troy Brown Jr (!) had 20, Conley had 19 with 7 Assists and Shake Milton (!!) had 17.

ByAP
Dec 8, 2023, 09:36 pm

Karl-Anthony Towns scored 24 points, Rudy Gobert had 16 points, 20 rebounds and six blocks and the NBA-leading Minnesota Timberwolves pulled away in the third quarter to beat the Memphis Grizzlies 127-103 on Friday night for their sixth straight victory.

Mike Conley added 19 points and seven assists to help Minnesota improve to 17-4. Gobert had 20 rebounds for the second straight game.

Troy Brown Jr., who replaced the injured Anthony Edwards early in the game, scored 20 points, connecting on 8 of 10 shots, including 4 of 6 from 3-point range.

Edwards, Minnesota’s leading scorer at 25.7 points a game, left four minutes in because of right hip pointer and didn’t return. Edwards missed two recent games with the same injury.

Jaren Jackson Jr. led Memphis with 21 points. Desmond Bane added 16, and David Roddy had 13..

Does NBA have a most improved player? If so, Gobert has to be in the running. What a difference from last season.
I can't remember such a change from one season to another with a max type player. Rudy looked on his way down last year to me. Meaning his best years were long gone. This year he looks like an MVP candidate.

Does NBA have a most improved player? If so, Gobert has to be in the running. What a difference from last season.

No kidding. Didn't know so I looked. They do have one. Kevin Love won it after the 2010-2011 season. Rudy should get some votes, though don't think he'll get it. Compared to last season maybe, but looking at his career numbers, it's not much of a comeback.

Gobert played WAY too much during calendar year 2022. At Utah, for his National team and then the Wolves. Followed by playing a big chunk of last season with Towns on the injured list and lead by Russell. A guy who didn't want to be here. Rudy didn't look too good, but his actual numbers weren't that bad.

This year he didn't play for the French National Team. Though he may have practiced some with them. He's also playing with a healthy Towns and a semi-healthy Edwards.

If he stays healthy, and the Wolves win 55+ games, he should get MVP votes. If they get and stay healthy, and win 60 games, he deserves the MVP.

Last edited:

Concerned about Ant. He needs to take a few weeks off. So we lose some games......we need everyone healthy for playoffs

Finch should have kept him out all of this past week. Sit him down until the Lakers game here on the 21st? That would be 13 days and he'd miss only 5 games. Wait until the 28th and that would give him 20 days of rest and he'd miss 9. Why not? We've been told they're gonna lose a lot of those games anyway.

Heck, even sitting him down until the Indiana game will give him a week of rest.

Wonder if management is more worried about angering him than keeping him healthy?

No kidding. Didn't know so I looked. They do have one. Kevin Love won it after the 2010-2011 season. Rudy should get so votes, though don't think he'll get it. Compared to last season maybe, but looking at his career numbers, it's not much of a comeback.

Gobert played WAY too much during calendar year 2022. At Utah, for his National team and then the Wolves. Followed by playing a big chunk of last season with Towns on the injured list and lead by Russell. A guy who didn't want to be here. Rudy didn't look too good, but his actual numbers weren't that bad.

This year he didn't play for the French National Team. Though he may have practiced some with them. He's also playing with a healthy Towns and a semi-healthy Edwards.

If he stays healthy, and the Wolves win 55+ games, he should get MVP votes. If they get and stay healthy, and win 60 games, he deserves the MVP.

An argument can certainly be made that Rudy is team MVP up to this point. Who would've thought that going into this season. If had suggested league MVP, would've been fitted for a straight jacket. Yet here we are.
After being mocked and ridiculed the past year for the trade, an argument can now be made that the Wolves won the trade. A lot of crow needs to be served.

Last edited:

Finch should have kept him out all of this past week. Sit him down until the Lakers game here on the 21st? That would be 13 days and he'd miss only 5 games. Wait until the 28th and that would give him 20 days of rest and he'd miss 9. Why not? We've been told they're gonna lose a lot of those games anyway.

Heck, even sitting him down until the Indiana game will give him a week of rest.

Wonder if management is more worried about angering him than keeping him healthy?

I believe you need to play in at least 65 games to qualify for consideration on the All NBA teams which would qualify Ant for the Super Max extension. That's a TON of extra cash...and a much bigger bite of our Team Cap.

It does lead to some concerns about the thought process from both sides regarding decisions being made moving forward.

Per Shooter:

— It finally looks like the $1.5 billion sale of the Timberwolves and Lynx to Alex Rodriguez and Marc Lore is going to go through. That despite owner Glen Taylor still allowing the pair a second deadline extension to get their finances in order with infused capital.

Taylor had given Rodriguez and Lore a Dec. 31 deadline to finalize the deal. There was a period earlier this year when the sale seemed uncertain while the pair was seeking more financing.

On Thursday evening at Target Center during the Wolves’ victory over San Antonio, Rodriguez noticeably sat courtside while a team photographer took pictures of him.

— Taylor, 82, who is a double billionaire, is in no need of immediate cash.

“Don’t need the money,” he told the Pioneer Press.

Howl Wolves!!

Per Shooter:

— It finally looks like the $1.5 billion sale of the Timberwolves and Lynx to Alex Rodriguez and Marc Lore is going to go through. That despite owner Glen Taylor still allowing the pair a second deadline extension to get their finances in order with infused capital.

Taylor had given Rodriguez and Lore a Dec. 31 deadline to finalize the deal. There was a period earlier this year when the sale seemed uncertain while the pair was seeking more financing.

On Thursday evening at Target Center during the Wolves’ victory over San Antonio, Rodriguez noticeably sat courtside while a team photographer took pictures of him.

— Taylor, 82, who is a double billionaire, is in no need of immediate cash.

“Don’t need the money,” he told the Pioneer Press.

Howl Wolves!!
Can he loan the Pohlads a few $$?

Top Bottom